• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku has been blacklisted by Bethesda Softworks and Ubisoft

Steez

Don't really understand why the majority of GAF is siding with Kotaku on this one.

It's not like they got blacklisted by doing some important investigative journalism. They just leaked the existence of two high-profile games a year ahead of their release. Freaking amazing job! Enter martyrdom, lol.

To be clear, it would be a totally different situation, if this was something like the Kane & Lynch debacle, or if Activision would blacklist them for their piece on Destiny, but as it stands it's just some dudes "ruining" extremely non-surprising announcements.

"A Price Of Games Journalism"

The horror. You mean now they'll have to do their job without the blessing and support of these big corporations? Like real journalists?

Honestly, this.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Excellent, no need to placate a online "rag" publication.

Anything sent to Kotaku is much better sent to prominent Youtubers and Twitch streamers, at least with them, your game will speak the loudest and not ideology or politics. Which are the last things you want associated with a product you are trying to sell to a wide audience.

Businesswise it's probably a good move to stop sending things to critical outlets and sending them to some youtubers instead, I agree.

jschreier

The employees providing Kotaku with this information are in the wrong, and should be punished accordingly. Responsible journalists would seek out a statement from the company, and vet the information first before releasing to the public, but most of all, make sure they have permission to do so.
Look, I haven't been responding to most of the dumb comments in this thread, but if you honestly believe that "responsible journalists" shouldn't publish anything about a company without permission, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what journalism actually is.

D i Z

Publishers don't owe blogs like Kotaku jack shit, so if they want to thumb their nose at being blacklisted, more power to them. Seems rather silly considering all of the leaks that earned them that status to begin with. Seems like common sense to me that you undermine a companies efforts, expect no further good will from them. The entire article reads of being petty and small.

Maybe he is like that because the general gaming population on the internet demand 'journalism' but also demand that journalists handle their favorite gaming companies with kiddie gloves because they love their games.
Then why would Kotaku care? That shouldn't be their targeted audience.

Not surprised.

Bethesda prob. because of the Prey 2 thing, but Ubisoft I can see just based on how much they rely on completely manufactured hype for all of their stuff (just look at how many times they do sponsored vids with places like Roosterteeth for an upcoming Asscreed game to see how much they try to get good impressions out there) and Kotaku is a website that even casuals go to and since Ubi's strategy is basically "make it so that anywhere casuals go for video games says good things about our games"...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
on one hand blacklisting is awful and petty, so fuck Bathesday and Ubisoft

on the other hand its Kotaku, isnt what it used to be in my opinion

giphy.gif

also, from Kotaku themselves, the reasons listed arent even something like "bad review? blacklistd" but more "leaked a project we are owrking on and arent ready to announce? well fuck you then" which I cant even blame the publishers

Don't really understand why the majority of GAF is siding with Kotaku on this one.

It's not like they got blacklisted by doing some important investigative journalism. They just leaked the existence of two high-profile games a year ahead of their release. Freaking amazing job! Enter martyrdom, lol.

To be clear, it would be a totally different situation, if this was something like the Kane & Lynch debacle, or if Activision would blacklist them for their piece on Destiny, but as it stands it's just some dudes "ruining" extremely non-surprising announcements.

Honestly, this.

Why would Kotaku owe silence on the knowledge of a product to anyone? They dont work for those companies. They can leak whatever the shit they want.

In their field of work your job is to work for your readers. There are plenty of readers who want to know these games exist.

mcw

At a high level, when things like this happen I look at the two parties involved-- one works hard to create content that I enjoy, the other works to get attention by criticizing those creators. I would never say that Kotaku serves no purpose-- take a look at the articles Schreier has written this year about working conditions at game development studios, for example-- but this appeal for my sympathy seems ill-conceived.

I think it is very important for any blacklisted publication to make sure that it is publically known. It's not the publisher's concern whether a publication that is critical of them is given access but it is their concern that the public not view them as avoiding critical coverage with things like blacklists. When it happens, make sure the world knows otherwise the blacklist is working out in the best possible scenario for these corporations.

JoduanER2

Well stop fucking leaking things then. If you're privy to information that you know will be officially announced soon, then why damage your relationship with that company by leaking it earlier? Leaks aren't doing some "public good" or bringing to light anything games need to know and can't wait a while to find out

This, stop backstabbing your partners.

Kamina777

Banned
You know 'real journalists' often get information from the source. Interviews, etc. Ie a political journalist would get an interview with certain political people.

And being blacklisted actually makes it harder to be a real journalist, getting facts and/or info/comments from the sources.
You can't have it both ways, you can't go behind a companies back, get inside info about something, release it to the rabid masses then in the same breathe ask for an interview and copies of the game for the whole office from said companies CEO and expect a response that isn't 20 minutes of laughter. Kotaku is their own beast they answer to no one , aren't slaves to the industry machine and have a lot of inside men and women, they're always going to be looked at more as inquirer than Time magazine by the game makers for those reasons, but it could be a lot worse.

killroy87

Kotaku leaking Fallout 4 and Syndicate isn't them rallying against the hype machine, it's just retooling the hype machine so they are making the announcement instead. It does absolutely nothing to actually serve the readers, since the information being leaked is at best the same as what would be presented anyway, and at worse super early and potentially inaccurate.

Fhtagn

Since when did politics and ideology have anything to do with a pastime?

Unless you make it about that of course.

They always have and always will. Literally everything is political in some way or other. Claiming otherwise just shows you are so comfortable with the status quo that you don't notice it.

Lunar15

Look, leaking stuff is what makes tabloids like Kotaku huge. I get why they want them and go after them. It's all part of that game. Publishers know that. Leaks happen. But also part of that game is the consequence of those publishers blacklisting them. Childish and petty as it may be, it's part of that ecosystem.

You can't just do something that's going to piss off a publisher and not expect the potential for them to blacklist you. It's how this whole thing works. Some will shrug it off and others will block you out. If you, as a journalist, can't come to grips with the fact that the leaks you're getting are going to ruin your relationships, then don't leak things in the first place.

A lot of editors for major publications wear their black-listings like a badge of honor. The funny thing about Kotaku complaining about this is that they're realizing that, as an enthusiast website, they actually kind of need the business that comes from being a marketing arm of these big publishers.

Lime

This should be standard policy by all publishers. Criticism of products hampers the wheels of capitalism. We must save the system!

Don't forget to weaponize our trusted consumers to militantly uphold the status quo (as seen in the sycophants in this thread and elsewhere)

JoduanER2

Honestly, this.

Im with ubisoft on this, why should they cooperate with someone who doesnt?

Acerac

Banned
Is it bad that this is what I've come to expect from video game journalism?

I find it disgusting to be sure, but totally believable.

if you are going to get black listed you might as well go out with a big tell all story about how scummy a company is.

Better then "you have us a 7 instead of a 9. No more review copies for you".

Good for you Kotaku / Jason.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Why are people so quick to shout that they don't like Kotaku? What does that have to do with anything? I'm not a fan of most IGN or Gamespot coverage in general, doesn't mean I wish for big corporations to blacklist them...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Look, I haven't been responding to most of the dumb comments in this thread, but if you honestly believe that "responsible journalists" shouldn't publish anything about a company without permission, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what journalism actually is.

Exactly. A publicly traded company in a free market at that.

Man, I swear people are happy with a dictatorship style society.

This, stop backstabbing your partners.

Partners?

It's official. Some gamers accept games media as publisher PR.

NoPiece

Agree 100% w/you, but then why put out an article complaining about getting cut off from freebies from the company you are reporting on? Just keep being a journalist and getting the inside story, buy the games when you need to review them, and skip the junkets.

Well stop fucking leaking things then. If you're privy to information that you know will be officially announced soon, then why damage your relationship with that company by leaking it earlier? Leaks aren't doing some "public good" or bringing to light anything games need to know and can't wait a while to find out

you realize when syndicate leaked and kotaku posted screens and not the full video, people complained that they didn't release the whole video, right? vast majority of people going to these websites want to hear these things.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Why should a new site be partners with publishers?

Are they hired to be PR spokespeople? Is that you want out of games journalism and news?

You're right, they shouldn't be partners so they shouldn't expect to get free shit from those companies.

You can't have it both ways, you can't go behind a companies back, get inside info about something, release it to the rabid masses then in the same breathe ask for an interview and copies of the game for the whole office from said companies CEO and expect a response that isn't 20 minutes of laughter.

This exact sort of thing happens in every other entertainment industry. TV/Film sites will have leaks and set photos for weeks on end, and they still get interviews and press screenings. What makes games so special that their mere existence is a sacred secret that no one but themselves can reveal?

Bluenoser

When it's leaked, and confidential, chances are they won't even get confirmation of whether it's accurate, so the permission part is probably moot. Either way, running with a story you know was given to you against the publisher's wishes is extremely unethical, and could be open to litigation. Not worth it.

Take a business ethics course and let me know what you've learned.

Maztorre

This is how it works in every industry. You really think journalists get all their info right at the time of reporting? Yet somehow have time to write up articles, reviews and impressions in time for the general public reveal? This has always been the case.

Why you lying though? There is leaked product information in the world of tech and entertainment media all the fucking time and those companies just move on and deal with it.

Bethesda and Ubisoft are afraid to stand behind the quality of their products (which are consistently released with technical issues) and are thus desperate to control their message at all times, and punish those who don't fall in line.

I hate leaks, they're awful.

If I was working on a game Id want to present it to the public when its ready and not when some dumb Kotaku "journalists" think its ready.

So fuck em, honestly.

Like when they leaked the Fallout 4 voice actor documents, spoiling us on the setting and more of the game years before it was even announced.

Your reasoning seems really juvenile to me. Help me understand if you can.

Armaros

You're right, they shouldn't be partners so they shouldn't expect to get free shit from those companies.

They dont care about the free shit, if you were keeping up, you would understand this.

But blind, drive by shit posting about Kotaku is easier

THEY DONT CARE ABOUT FREE COPIES YOU IDIOTS, THEY CARE ABOUT BEING BLOCKED FROM LITERALLY ANY COMMENTS ABOUT ANYTHING RELATED TO THE COMPANIES.

NateDrake

Im with ubisoft on this, why should they cooperate with someone who doesnt?

I learned about The Last Guardian being shown at Sony's E3 presser a few weeks before any of the leaks happened. I could have easily reported on it as I wasn't under an NDA. Why should Sony blacklist me over that? I didn't break any rules.

Tecnniqe

Banned
To be clear, we've been blacklisted by both companies. Because we do real reporting and refuse to act as publishers' marketing arms. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

I enjoy your Press Sneak Fuck stories, they tend to have a lot of meat on their bones.
Shame really.

Chase17

Half of sports news comes from leaks. If someone at ESPN knows who a team is taking at at number 1 with a draft pick why wouldn't they leak it? (They absolutely would).

Obviously there are some differences between games media and sports etc. But there are some fundamental similarities.

Keep up the good work press sneak fucks :) You should wear the blacklisting like a badge of honor even though it probably makes your jobs annoyingly difficult at times. The way some of the posters are acting it sounds like they want to be spoon fed all their "news" straight from publishers. Also, publishing a leaked email isn't a crime. The leaker could get fired, but it's not a crime just because a company says you can't show this email to anyone. We're not talking about Edward "awesome" Snowden here. (I like Snowden BTW)

The level of shitposting in this thread is insane.

People really hate Kotaku to the point where they're not just OK with this, but fully support and "defense forcing" it?

kavanf1

To be clear, we've been blacklisted by both companies. Because we do real reporting and refuse to act as publishers' marketing arms. If anyone has any questions, let me know.

I'm not familiar with the leaks being mentioned, but as someone on the inside, do you think the whole thirst for being first with news has just gotten totally out of hand?

From my perspective gaming is unlike other comparable industries in that respect. Elsewhere people could lose their job or even career for leaking company confidential info - it's only in gaming it's viewed as a point of pride and almost expected that leaks will happen. Everyone - from the people who play games and mistakenly believe they are entitled to know more than companies are willing to disclose, to the companies themselves and how they interact with their customers (with behaviour more akin to wannabe rock stars than supposedly professional people), to the media who desperately need to fill a 24 hour 7-day news cycle with something - anything! - that will make people pay attention to them over their competition, even if it's for the wrong reasons...we're all complicit. GAF thrives on it and bemoans it at the same time.

Aside from that, you have the murky world of powerful entities capable of boycotting, offering incentives for positive reviews, and the dubious value of the words the media print as a result.

I don't expect you to offer a solution to something so endemic, but would be interested to hear what small part you/your employer plays to counteract this (if anything). Cheers.

BTW, I've read some of your investigative pieces - keep up the good work, more like that please.

Top Bottom