• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku has been blacklisted by Bethesda Softworks and Ubisoft

lOTl

Banned
Strongly disagree. Their features are really good and no one else in the mainstream games media has reported as much as them on working conditions, failed projects, and so on.

If anything, more sites should be like Kotaku with the way they've been running things.

If they are guilty of anything it's maybe feeding into a 24/7 news cycle with rabid ADHD-laced authoring (same writer hates this game they loved yesterday), regurgitating content to pad the page, and I suspect some articles probably being written under the influence of booze since they can read about like my own drunken logic. They're human and they're trying to generate revenue - it's all good.

jschreier

Agree 100% w/you, but then why put out an article complaining about getting cut off from freebies from the company you are reporting on? Just keep being a journalist and getting the inside story, buy the games when you need to review them, and skip the junkets.
We put out this article for two reasons. One is that it's a news story -- "major video game companies blacklist press outlet" is something Kotaku would likely cover no matter who the parties in question are. The other reason is that readers have been wondering why our Fallout 4 review landed so far after release, among other things.

Review copies and press junkets are irrelevant. What's more annoying is that these companies won't even respond to basic news inquiries. But we've managed just fine and will continue managing.

Well stop fucking leaking things then. If you're privy to information that you know will be officially announced soon, then why damage your relationship with that company by leaking it earlier? Leaks aren't doing some "public good" or bringing to light anything games need to know and can't wait a while to find out

This, stop backstabbing your partners.

So which publisher do y'all work for?

JeffGrubb

Well stop fucking leaking things then. If you're privy to information that you know will be officially announced soon, then why damage your relationship with that company by leaking it earlier? Leaks aren't doing some "public good" or bringing to light anything games need to know and can't wait a while to find out

lol

Sad, but expected. After all, the vast majority of gaming outlets is basically run by gaming companies themselves - because they have bargaining power and therefore can dictate how to run stories, previews and so on. This was pretty evident during the past generation - nowadays it less stressed but still happening. IGN, for example, seems run by a bunch of teenagers after having received Christmas presents.

By the way, I don't see how Kotaku should be guilty in reporting news. It's not Kotaku who's leaking information: it's people inside gaming companies - the problem is, therefore, in them not being able to enforce contracts to prevent leaks. When a journalist has a story to be told, he or she must be able to tell readers about that - this is true in media entertainment, because in other fields is more delicate.

There should be very little symbiotic relationship between publishers and media. The way it exists now is just to pump up hype. It why I dont take any games press seriously.

I learned about The Last Guardian being shown at Sony's E3 presser a few weeks before any of the leaks happened. I could have easily reported on it as I wasn't under an NDA. Why should Sony blacklist me over that? I didn't break any rules.

How did you know about it? Do you work in the industry or just have sources inside of there?

Emarv

Again, I ask, what is it with gamers and Publishers with game announcement secrecy? Based on lots of responses in this thread, it seems many gamers actually believe it to be a right for a publisher to announce a game when their PR deems it best like this isn't just some weird thing?

Maybe it's a holdover from the tech industry where tech products are more secret, but in the Entertainment industry games stand alone in this.

It just seems so juvenile and unnecessary for both Publishers and gamers to be concerned with us knowing a game is in development. Are we really so invested in PR Hype Culture?

Related to this topic: What do you think about the weird distinction between the Games Industry and the Film/TV industry in regards to the secrecy behind projects in development? There can be a lot of secrecy in regards to the content of movies being made, but mainly the film industry is quite open with what projects are being developed or filmed currently. Games feel unique in the Entertainment sector in regards to this.

Why is the Games PR Industry so obsessed with secrecy behind game announcements? Seems unnecessary.

Armaros

We put out this article for two reasons. One is that it's a news story -- "major video game companies blacklist press outlet" is something Kotaku would likely cover no matter who the parties in question are. The other reason is that readers have been wondering why our Fallout 4 review landed so far after release, among other things.

Review copies and press junkets are irrelevant. What's more annoying is that these companies won't even respond to basic news inquiries. But we've managed just fine and will continue managing.

The fact that people keep bring up the former and focusing on that and ignoring the latter, shows the priorities of the general gaming public.

Don't really understand why the majority of GAF is siding with Kotaku on this one.

It's not like they got blacklisted by doing some important investigative journalism. They just leaked the existence of two high-profile games a year ahead of their release. Freaking amazing job! Enter martyrdom, lol.

To be clear, it would be a totally different situation, if this was something like the Kane & Lynch debacle, or if Activision would blacklist them for their piece on Destiny, but as it stands it's just some dudes "ruining" extremely non-surprising announcements.

Honestly, this.
I think this is my issue with them sometimes. What really rubbed me the wrong way is when they leaked Rare Replay like 2 hours before Microsofts E3 conference. That pretty much just screams "hey I'm a dick and need clicks", but is hidden behind the "I'm just doing my job" excuse.

JoduanER2

Everyone act like the publishers are always the bad guy, its a bussiness and if you are getting shit from someone why keep communicating with him, i dont get it.

I like Kotaku a little bit more today.

All sites should be blacklisted. Let's make it equal and see who actually does the work and who cashes checks for free games.

LegatoB

The thing that bothers me is that there are insiders leaking information like this in the first place. No one needs to be told how bad, not to mention illegal this is. Can we put the blame on Kotaku for running with it? Well, frankly yes. They are participating in an illegal disclosure of confidential information. There's a very good reason why most emails from anyone within a corporation comes with the following:

This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is confidential and may be privileged. Any unauthorized distribution or disclosure is prohibited. Disclosure to anyone other than the intended recipient does not constitute waiver of privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us and delete it and any attachments from your computer system and records.

The employees providing Kotaku with this information are in the wrong, and should be punished accordingly. Responsible journalists would seek out a statement from the company, and vet the information first before releasing to the public, but most of all, make sure they have permission to do so.

I like Kotaku, but what Stephen has just done is admit that his site is guilty of a lack of ethics at best, and a crime at worst.
I don't understand why me breaking my NDA to leak information to a writer at Kotaku is Kotaku's problem. It's my problem because I broke an NDA that I signed; Kotaku signed no such agreement with my employer.

My employer is well within their rights to "cut off" Kotaku over this, but it takes two sides to play ball in the world of entertainment media. Just as publications rely on a friendly relationship with publishers for access to information, publishers rely on friendly relationships with publications to market their products.

Exactly, then why send them review copies? Please someone explain this.

They don't have to. The publication should then make it known that the publisher refuses to send them review copies so as reader we know who and why publications get review copies and who and why others do not. It's valuable information for consumers to know. It adds context to the reviews.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
If this is about leaks, and if those leaks cost that publisher a great deal of money (lets say the debut of the game was tied in with another company, sponsor, etc and your leak fucked that up), then no one should be surprised when said publisher finally says "fuck it" and cuts off access.

It's always about the money.

In the end, the people making the products hold all the power. Hold all the keys. They could all cut off press access to anything prior to release and make their own damn streams and shows and the gaming public would move on because all they truly care about is the product while the press could only write reaction stories like Youtubers. I'm not saying its right but I'm not surprised either. If publishers were interesting in controlling everything, this what they would do. But they don't. So this tells me thia blacklisting is about money.

Exile20

Well, boycott NeoGAF because shit gets leaked here all the time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I find if oh so hilariously ironic that people are actally NOT siding with Kotaku, on NEO FUCKING GAF, of all places.

This site is a haven for truthfacts and inside leaking. It is one of the main draws, and those leaker threads bring this place to it's knees sometimes.

I swear, people are conditioned to reject things and argue just for the sake of arguing. Devils advocate syndrome is hardwired.

JeffGrubb

In mobile, it's a bit different. You get people who are not quite as trained as traditional publishers, so they ask if they can have a look at your stories before you publish them. We've even had one person rewrite one of our stories and ask us to publish it in replace of our version because he didn't think we captured him correctly.

This stuff is usually good for a laugh.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not familiar with the leaks being mentioned, but as someone on the inside, do you think the whole thirst for being first with news has just gotten totally out of hand?

From my perspective gaming is unlike other comparable industries in that respect. Elsewhere people could lose their job or even career for leaking company confidential info - it's only in gaming it's viewed as a point of pride and almost expected that leaks will happen.

That is flat out false. The movie industry is ten times worse and nobody gives a shit.

Zaph

Great article, really like the second-to-last paragraph as it succinctly sums up the state of the enthusiast press and why there are so few people who can actually call themselves journalists:

Stephen Totilo said:
Both publishers’ actions demonstrate contempt for us and, by extension, the whole of the gaming press. They would hamper independent reporting in pursuit of a status quo in which video game journalists are little more than malleable, servile arms of a corporate sales apparatus. It is a state of affairs that we reject.

Kotaku definitely has its hits and misses, but when they hit they are in their own league as reporters. What's happening here is they are being punished for acting like a traditional, critical press that exists everywhere else.

Kamina777

Banned
This exact sort of thing happens in every other entertainment industry. TV/Film sites will have leaks and set photos for weeks on end, and they still get interviews and press screenings. What makes games so special that their mere existence is a sacred secret that no one but themselves can reveal?
Gaming blogs aren't on the same level of an entertainment weekly. Even the bigger sites aren't self sufficent enough to bite the hand that feeds them non stop and still get fed.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
At this point I kind of feel like being blacklisted by Ubisoft should be considered a badge of honor.

I was going to put in a joke here about kotaku having too many Press Sneak Fucks but my job was already done when I came in. Glad to hear that kotaku is still pushing forward despite the silent treatment from the megacorps. It's gotta make things difficult, though, and I sympathize.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
They dont care about the free shit, if you were keeping up, you would understand this.

But blind, drive by shit posting about Kotaku is easier

THEY DONT CARE ABOUT FREE COPIES YOU IDIOTS, THEY CARE ABOUT BEING BLOCKED FROM LITERALLY ANY COMMENTS ABOUT ANYTHING RELATED TO THE COMPANIES.

Thanks for calling me an idiot, guy.

If they're not partners then why would they give Kotaku ANYTHING? Press kits? Comments on stories? Flying them out to play a game early? Free early games? They're not partners, they don't own them anything.

CAPS YELLING INSULTING PEOPLE I AM NOW RIGHT AND YOU ARE WRONG

By the way, maybe read the thread because I've made a few posts in here now. I'm not 'shit posting'.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
People don't like it when you reveal their secrets to the world. News at 11.

Is it really a secret for some of this though? I think everyone expected an Assassin's Creed sequel. "Leaking" that isn't some company secret.

I find if oh so hilariously ironic that people are actally NOT siding with Kotaku, on NEO FUCKING GAF, of all places.

This site is a haven for truthfacts and inside leaking. It is one of the main draws, and those leaker threads bring this place to it's knees sometimes.

I swear, people are conditioned to reject things and argue just for the sake of arguing. Devils advocate syndrome is hardwired.

You just described the entirety of the Internet right here

Armaros

If they're not partners then why would they give Kotaku ANYTHING? Press kits? Comments on stories? Flying them out to play a game early? Free early games? They're not partners, they don't own them anything.

Because thats how journalism works in every other industry besides the gaming industry which i guess is somehow extra special.

JeffGrubb

By the way, maybe read the thread because I've made a few posts in here now. I'm not 'shit posting'.

It is super weird to conflate the opportunity to give their side of the story to all-expense paid trips.

Don't really understand why the majority of GAF is siding with Kotaku on this one.

It's not like they got blacklisted by doing some important investigative journalism. They just leaked the existence of two high-profile games a year ahead of their release. Freaking amazing job! Enter martyrdom, lol.

To be clear, it would be a totally different situation, if this was something like the Kane & Lynch debacle, or if Activision would blacklist them for their piece on Destiny, but as it stands it's just some dudes "ruining" extremely non-surprising announcements.

Honestly, this.

On this issue, it's hard to be against Kotaku. That's not saying Kotaku is good, that this is ground-breaking journalism, or that Kotaku isn't even guilty themselves for unfairly blacklisting certain blogs for use as sources (good blogs for that matter)... but they're right on this. All we're saying is transparency is good. Why wait for another Kane & Lynch debacle? Just because this isn't on the same scale doesn't make it irrelevant or insignificant.

That the announcements were not surprising makes the publishers' response that much more absurd. This deserves attention.

Geek

Ninny Prancer
The thing that bothers me is that there are insiders leaking information like this in the first place. No one needs to be told how bad, not to mention illegal this is. Can we put the blame on Kotaku for running with it? Well, frankly yes. They are participating in an illegal disclosure of confidential information. There's a very good reason why most emails from anyone within a corporation comes with the following:

This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is confidential and may be privileged. Any unauthorized distribution or disclosure is prohibited. Disclosure to anyone other than the intended recipient does not constitute waiver of privilege. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify us and delete it and any attachments from your computer system and records.

The employees providing Kotaku with this information are in the wrong, and should be punished accordingly. Responsible journalists would seek out a statement from the company, and vet the information first before releasing to the public, but most of all, make sure they have permission to do so.

I like Kotaku, but what Stephen has just done is admit that his site is guilty of a lack of ethics at best, and a crime at worst.

Woof.

Just responding to the bold part, but these email legal disclaimers are complete bullshit and not legally enforceable. It's just scare language.

http://apps.americanbar.org/litigat...13-0213-do-email-disclaimers-really-work.html

LordJim

Maybe all the times wrong details have also come out from some neogaf leakers, some of which end up slandering people have made posters here care a bit less.

Steez

Why would Kotaku owe silence on the knowledge of a product to anyone? They dont work for those companies. They can leak whatever the shit they want.

In their field of work your job is to work for your readers. There are plenty of readers who want to know these games exist.

You're obviously right and they can keep doing that. It's not like they got the leaked information directly from a PR suit working for those companies. Nothing changes.

Granted, it's just the response in this thread, but this weird martyrdom rubs me the wrong way. People are standing almost in unison behind Kotaku like they unveiled some super shady and horrific shit, when in reality it was just kinda obvious information.

Hey guys, you remeber those AAA games. Guess what? SEQUELS!

Another poster nailed it earlier ITT. It wasn't for the good of gaming journalism or their readers. It was just for clicks.

killroy87

I think I find it hard to sympathize with Kotaku, because they're always so quick to defend their journalistic standards, but never respond as to why having a dude eat Captain Crunch Taco Bell desserts and talk with his mouth full on camera deserves to be on the site as well.

It used to be a tabloid site, and that never really went away, the difference now is they do pepper it with some excellent content which just creates an identity crisis.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Because thats how journalism works in every other industry besides the gaming industry which i guess is somehow extra special.

So in every other industry when people fuck you over you then go the extra mile to help them out?

I wasn't aware of this.

Justinh

Although I don't visit Kotaku hardly ever (even though I have a lot of respect for Mr. Stephen Totilo and of course Mr. Schreier), I'm totally on their side here.

There's a very good reason why most emails from anyone within a corporation comes with the following:

These confidential notices are a joke and not legally binding in any way.

Top Bottom