• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku writer copies someone's level in Mario Maker 2, gets on the Mainpage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Original article claims Chris Kohler has plagiarised a MM2 level idea and spun it as his own for popularity.

Kotaku writer Chris Kohler uploaded a near-copy of this level with the exact same concept 2 days after maker JoshLamm launched the original. It's no surprise that a journalist stumbling upon this level would be amazed at its fantastic use of the engine to tell a story much deeper and darker than we are used to in a Mario game.

But what's really disappointing is rather than use his journalistic platform to call attention to the creativity and talent of the creator, Chris Kohler quickly rushed together a copy of the level and promoted that as his own idea

Here is the tweet of Chris listing the level he created .

Update: His response.

Worth noting that this is an idea that is used in MM1 as well and the OG creator has denied playing it or owning a WiiU on reddit.

vZ3aYZ9.png

Edit: Can a mod change the thread title? It should include the word “Allegedly“.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned

..imagine the disappointment you would feel if a journalist at Kotaku copied your level, uploaded it, and became Mario Maker famous for it. That's exactly what happened to Maker JoshLamm with his incredibly creative "Mario's Remorse" level just this week.

A Kotaku writer whose Mario Maker alias is Kobun uploaded a near-copy of this level with the exact same concept 2 days after maker JoshLamm launched the original.

But what's really disappointing is rather than use his journalistic platform to call attention to the creativity and talent of the creator, Kobun quickly rushed together a copy of the level and promoted that as his own idea in this article here:

wgawzgeihfjvqwhtypyq.png

https://kotaku.com/apologies-in-advance-as-i-expect-my-latest-super-mario-1836061789

With the help of the Kotaku platform, the Kobun's level reached the front page of Mario Maker's Course World and at the time of writing has over 10,000 plays.

21105680_363356610761528_6683467205039773976_n.jpg

Chris Kohler, Kotaku writer.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I totally understand the feeling when you think someone copied your idea. My articles get copied with no credit on a daily basis, and boy it sucks, especially when people start crediting the copycat. I also notoriously have no love for Kotaku.

That being said, I would not throw around an accusation of plagiarism as fact without clear evidence, which does not exist there. This kind of idea isn't particularly unique, and could probably come to mind to several fans of the franchise with no interaction required. The game is popular enough that you'll probably find several iterations of a ton of ideas by different people who never saw each other's levels.

There are tons of reasons to criticize Kotaku and its writers, so I really don't think there's a need to make up some more without a shred of evidence, especially with something as serious as plagiarism.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
Hard to say if he never played it. Parrallel thinking is real and they could have came to the same conclusion with the tools.

The bad part is him saying he was the first and not taking that down after he is proven that he is not. Best to not claim that in the first place.

This is a weird area of plagiarism or not. If you listen to Joe Rogan they talk about this sort of thing in comedy quite a bit.

ZeroGravity

The issue isn't that he copied a level, or stole an idea, or whatever the case may be...it's that he wrote an article, for Kotaku, singing his own praises and passing the idea off as his own. Even if he never saw the original level in question, as pointed out, this particular idea for a level isn't new, dating back to the original game. He's still trying to pass it off as something he came up with, generating revenue for Kotaku in the process. I'd have much less of an issue if he never wrote about it, but he did, so this comes off as super scummy.

Last edited:
I don’t like plagiarism (nor Kotaku) but until I play both levels I cannot really say copied it whole sale.

His play history shows that he didn’t play the other guys level, on his profile at least.

The prentious level idea idea has been thrown about in game creation tools for that long it’s hard to claim ownership.

Orenji Neko

He may or may not have stolen the idea, but he is definitely guilty of writing a stupid looking tweet to share it, and figuratively fellating himself in public over a Mario Maker level.

Fake

Nah Kotaku standart. 'Gamers'
Its almost the IGN ctrl+c ctrl+v review case.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
I totally understand the feeling when you think someone copied your idea. My articles get copied with no credit on a daily basis, and boy it sucks, especially when people start crediting the copycat. I also notoriously have no love for Kotaku.

That being said, I would not throw around an accusation of plagiarism as fact without clear evidence, which does not exist there. This kind of idea isn't particularly unique, and could probably come to mind to several fans of the franchise with no interaction required. The game is popular enough that you'll probably find several iterations of a ton of ideas by different people who never saw each other's levels.

There are tons of reasons to criticize Kotaku and its writers, so I really don't think there's a need to make up some more without a shred of evidence, especially with something as serious as plagiarism.

t.chriskohler

#Phonepunk#

Banned
most infuriating thing is the banner tbh. nobel peace prize? never before done? anticipate many a thinkpiece?

like there are millions of people making Mario levels. fuck out of here with this self congratulatory bullshit.

Last edited:

GV82

Just because he hasn’t played the WiiU game, even if his play history shows he hasn’t doesn’t mean he couldn’t have seen the game on Twitch, Youtube or in his own office played by other people, this level in question too.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I mean if certain parts are 100% the same down to the block placement....ehhh....

The person who created the level wouldn't have a case, as Ninty states all courses are legally theirs if you upload them (Really the only reason for that is so they can remove whatever course they please; a CMA clause). Ninty probably isn't going to go to bat over two players squabbling over a level.

To all those stanning for a Kotaku writer (of all the untalented slimes to stand up for): IGN's Dead Cells review and Eurogamer's bootleg vinyl say hi.
This is why I at least part take in GiantBomb; set aside whatever grievances you have, Jeff has always been about "I'm writing the critique/review I want and need to, to sustain MY job and MY brand; don't want to give me the games because I gave you an honest review? CBS will buy it for me if we decide to cover it."

Even if their reviews at time can be horrible poor, have to admire they don't bow to dumb ass companies sqwaking they gave an honest review about their product.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
t.chriskohler

Wow. If that's the only argument you have to defend posting serious accusations as fact without any evidence, the whole thing feels weaker and weaker.

"I didn't do that"

Well that clears this whole thing up.

What do you expect him to say?

This thread feels more and more like it belongs on the other forum 🤷‍♂️

Petty witch hunts based on pretty literally nothing are despicable.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I told you it clears the entire thing up. He said he didn't do it, he's innocent.

Sure, that totally didn't sound like misplaced sarcasm.

Why so hostile/toxic? You got stock in Kotaku or something?

No. I intensely dislike them.

I also intensely dislike Resetera-like witch hunts. If there's anything "toxic" here, is all in throwing accusations at people without any clear indication that they actually have done anything wrong, and wording them as fact.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
I mean if certain parts are 100% the same down to the block placement....ehhh....

The person who created the level wouldn't have a case, as Ninty states all courses are legally theirs if you upload them (Really the only reason for that is so they can remove whatever course they please; a CMA clause). Ninty probably isn't going to go to bat over two players squabbling over a level.

I don’t think anyone said that.

The main point is that, if his level was copied/plagiarized/whatever, then him taking credit for it and trying to bring positive attention to himself with this masturbatory article is an incredibly shitty thing to do.

Nobody cares that he supposedly copied a level or copied ideas or whatever, people on Mario Maker do that all the time. The problem would be that he did that and then wrote an article taking credit and praising himself.

Not a big deal, but certainly the opposite of what a journalist should be doing.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

Is there a full side-by-side comparison video of the original level and the alleged plagiate?

It pains me to defend a Kotaku hack writer, but from the screens provided in the article.. I don't see it.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Is there a full side-by-side comparison video of the original level and the alleged plagiate?

It pains me to defend a Kotaku hack writer, but from the screens provided in the article.. I don't see it.

Careful, you're gonna be accused to have "stock in kotaku" or to be Chris Kolher. :messenger_smirking:

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned

Nobody has more footage because nobody wants to bust out their dusty-ass WiiU to check lmao

I generally don't like Kotaku, apart from the informative articles detailing the troubling development cycles of games like Anthem and newer Call of Duty games. These kind of self-praising, promotional articles on top of the usual unorthodox click-baity opinions are what give Kotaku a bad rep though.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I generally don't like Kotaku, apart from the informative articles detailing the troubling development cycles of games like Anthem and newer Call of Duty games. These kind of self-praising, promotional articles on top of the usual unorthodox click-baity opinions are what give Kotaku a bad rep though.

Even those article that many praise are an artfully created narrative to pass a political agenda. Not to say that there isn't any truth in them, but the "sources" are obviously cherry-picked in order to beat a very specific drum.

Pretty much like this very thread, mind you.

Last edited:

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
I don’t think anyone said that.

The main point is that, if his level was copied/plagiarized/whatever, then him taking credit for it and trying to bring positive attention to himself with this masturbatory article is an incredibly shitty thing to do.

Nobody cares that he supposedly copied a level or copied ideas or whatever, people on Mario Maker do that all the time. The problem would be that he did that and then wrote an article taking credit and praising himself.

Not a big deal, but certainly the opposite of what a journalist should be doing.
It's in one of the reply tweets; specifically the last one

I wasn't trying to question if it was a shitty thing to do (I felt that was implied, sorry for not making that clearer), but people were saying the naughty word "Plagiarism." when it comes to this, and that's why I was mentioning the whole "Not much either side can do thing but sling monkey shit at each other"

IMHO it makes it worst if he legit stole actual straight level design AND promoted it as his work; that right there is unethical and to me would bring into question any of his creative work Filip Miucin style.

Codes 208

So kotaku “never played” a level by another guy who “never played” a level from the original game.

Yeah ok. I mean making an article to stroke your own ego is pretty shit on kotaku’s part but id hardly call this plagiarizing if there was a similar level from years before.

Nester99

1000 monkeys with 1000 typewriters in 1000 years will produce Shakespeare.

imagine what 50,000 monkeys could do.

this plagiarism outrage seems a little over the top.

angelic

Banned
If its similarly themed, no plagiarise.

If block patterns are similar throughout, it's plagiarised. Picture evidence needed.

Banned
If its similarly themed, no plagiarise.

If block patterns are similar throughout, it's plagiarised. Picture evidence needed.

THIS

why is there no videa that compares the two? if it is so obvious this should be everywhere by now,
I call bullshit on this,
levels where the theme is Mario is the bad guy are everywhere... levels that make you feel bad for killing Yoshi, or enemies are not a new thing in Mario Maker 1 even

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom