• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku writer copies someone's level in Mario Maker 2, gets on the Mainpage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banned
"parts of the level were exactly the same"

:messenger_angry: :messenger_poop: move 🤮

well apparently that is a lie...

again... why are there no comparison shots? the ones in the link don't look alike at all... it's just the same theme, which also is not a new theme

Last edited:

game_nomad

Not that I care, I really do not like Kotaku. But such stories do not carry much credibility without screenshots

As much as I’d call Kotaku being shitty just par for the course, the level of credibility the accusation has not come close to being nothing short of lazy.

That IGN guy had every YTer and independent game site rifling through every word and pixel. Here... it’s almost like we just want to will this to be true.

Omali

As much as I dislike Kotaku, the plagiarism claims are ridiculous, but the kid making it is probably well aware that plenty of people are going to believe him at face value because it's Kotaku and why bother looking at it rationally when you already hate the person being accused. Two people using a very generic, popular trope in Mario Maker doesn't make for plagiarism.

I understand that people dislike Kotaku for various reasons, but I'm not seeing any evidence that this is actually plagiarism.

Mario being the bad guy, Goombas having families is a joke that's been told for a long time. If the entire level layout is the same then you can claim that he plagiarized the layout, but making something with a similar theme isn't plagiarism.

Unless I'm completely blind and have missed some concrete evidence that's been posted.

angelic

Banned
Both Dennis the Menace's were coincidentally created in the same week in 1951.

The copyright had just expired on the German character "Dennis die Bedrohung" who used to terrorise border guards, fuck pigs and masturbate into his families Sauerkraut.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
It's not the same. Can remember, and one can even say "it's inspired", but not a copy.

Also, I guess that people are making this too much a big of deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom