• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku's review of Kingdom Hearts III is... uhm... something else.

sublimit

Banned

That is the same guy, right? At least that shit was excellent and refreshing.

I found it extremely cringy ,boring and full of ego stroking. If i was someone who had no idea about the game or the series it would have probably turned me away from it.

Domisto

Most game reviews are too long and dull to bother reading if they liked it or not. Skip to the end. This looks funny at least.

Not pretentious at all.

It's a shame it came across as pretentious, but I meant it. EverytimeI hear that dude talk or read something he wrote I can't help but think he's an actual genius... also he must read A LOT just based on how he expresses himself.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Honestly it is a pretty funny review even though the author is clearly stroking his own ego.

On a side note, holy shit, it’s been 13 years since KH2. There’s going to be a whole new generation of gamers playing this game and having their brains damaged by the convoluted shounen melodrama.

VertigoOA

Banned
I’m not surprised it’s for kingdom hearts. I don’t expect many real reviews that aren’t fangirl drivel written by a 40 y/o who’s Filled his mom’s basement with a collection pops figures of episode 9 and persona

Last edited:

ROMhack

It's a shame it came across as pretentious, but I meant it. EverytimeI hear that dude talk or read something he wrote I can't help but think he's an actual genius... also he must read A LOT just based on how he expresses himself.

I don't know if I'd say genius but yeah he obviously reads a lot and/or is generally clued up on culture. His style reminds me a lot of what internet culture used to be like about ten years ago when it used to either be total nerds or total hipsters writing about pop-culture products. Back when people were content to be bloggers, not journalists. All that was left was for him to name-drop David Foster Wallace.

Great name btw.

Last edited:

royox

Some excerpts for your cringing pleasure.

Dx3xMohWkAIbKyL

Dx3xOImWkAAo7_X

Dx3xhcgXgAAO0vT

Source: https://kotaku.com/kingdom-hearts-iii-the-kotaku-review-5113989
Archive: http://archive.ph/o8FtC
Shout out to the following twitter user for the screenshots: https://twitter.com/BlackCat_Dandy

Ok I don't know if it is because of my not-native english level but I don't understand shit about what this person is talking about.

Dude's caught in a bad in between place where his review isn't outlandish enough to be full Naked Gun style non sequitur nor structured enough to be professional. He probably likes Rick and Morty a lot.

ExpandKong

Banned
I will never understand how there are people who enjoy his writing. Every time I try to read something of his, I get a feeling like I walked in on him trying to fellate himself, and we locked eyes for a moment and he just kept going.

sublimit

Banned
What exactly was it that it impressed you so much that made you think he is a "genious" or highly educated? :) Can you give us some examples?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
lol OP never read Tim Rogers before?

yeah i love the dude's style but it def is crazy. he's been writing for that for at least 15 years now.

look up his insanely long review of Super Mario Bros. 3. it's a masterpiece.

also, his old podcast Violence Island IS SO GOOD.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's been on my mind lately because it's been exactly a decade, their final issue being Jan 2009.

I miss them dearly and wonder what became of all the staff, I'm sure they'd have some choice words for the state of modern game journalism.
They were the reason I got my journalism degree. After they shut down I wasn't sure if I was still interested in pursuing a career in the field, so I opted to not doing anything with it lol. With the state of games journalism today, I'm honestly glad I'm not a part of it even it means I wasted all those years.

Sorne

Yeah that's just Tim Rogers being Tim Rogers. You should watch some of his GDC talks about his game development journey. It's quite hilarious. But such a shame he works at Kotaku.

brian0057

Banned
lol OP never read Tim Rogers before?

yeah i love the dude's style but it def is crazy. he's been writing for that for at least 15 years now.

look up his insanely long review of Super Mario Bros. 3. it's a masterpiece.

also, his old podcast Violence Island IS SO GOOD.

First time I've heard of the guy.
Kotaku is not a website I frequent for gaming related news.

fatty

Anyone remember this review from GameFan back in 95?

q84bcdafbwplqxukv3kr.jpg

This still made more sense than the Kotaku KHIII review.

Last edited:
The style of Tim Rogers' Kingdom Hearts III review is his bread and butter. It works for some, not for others. Either way, his material tends to get clicks, and I'd rather see his writing on Kotaku, than another article about how the industry or a particular game isn't progressive enough.

Last edited:

Jmarshall

That's a entertaining piece of writing, however I have little idea objectively what to think about the game, the gummi Ship is terrible, the dialogue and plot are nonsense, but he lived it

Huh.....

zenspider

Technically the "gamers are dead" article was not actually Kotaku, right?

It's one voice with a million mouths.

I meant it as part the general antagonistic position the site takes (Chris Kohler, Tim Rogers, and Brian Ashcraft withstanding to different degrees), but I think the initial article, 'Gamers Don't Have to Be Your Audience. Gamers Are Over. ' was published by regular kotaku contributor Leigh Alexander. Kotaku's 'GAD' article was by Luke Plunkett: ' We Might Be Witnessing The "Death of an Identity" '

The style of Tim Rogers' Kingdom Hearts III review is his bread and butter. It's works for some, not for others. Either way, his material tends to get clicks, and I'd rather see his writing on Kotaku, than another article about how the industry or a particular game isn't progressive enough.

I’m fine with that. Some of the people trying to portray this as “people aren’t smart enough for Tim’s writing” are a little full of it, though

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn't know who this guy was until checking out some of his material. He sure has a unique way of reviewing games. Not my style, as I just want a traditional review, but he is entertaining as he gabs about all kinds of useless stuff.

I’m fine with that. Some of the people trying to portray this as “people aren’t smart enough for Tim’s writing” are a little full of it, though
I only breezed through the thread, so can't really comment on others. The way Rogers puts together these articles is extremely self-indulgent, and for some, this type of style just isn't going to resonate or provide content that is either useful or entertaining. No one should feel bad or stupid for not liking his pieces.

Last edited:
What exactly was it that it impressed you so much that made you think he is a "genious" or highly educated? :) Can you give us some examples?

Do you want quotes? lol no... look, what makes his content stand out for me is that it's thought-provoking and reflects a train of thought that is not simple or linear at all. That is not easy to achieve, and someone else noted before, other writers in this style like David Foster Wallace are undoubtedly brilliant. Saying this dude is a bad writer is easier than admitting you just don't get his writing.

Sakura

I can understand people liking this kind of writing, but if we are asking the question of is this a good review or not... I think the answer is no.

sublimit

Banned
I guess we live in a time and age where everyone can be called a "writer",a "painter",a "singer" etc as long as they have an eccentric,pretendious and flashy style (with zero substance) and fans who like to think they are "superior" because they confuse pretendiousness with actual skill.

Oh well.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I guess we live in a time and age where everyone can be called a "writer",a "painter",a "singer" etc as long as they have an eccentric,pretendious and flashy style (with zero substance) and fans who like to think they are "superior" because they confuse pretendiousness with actual skill.

Oh well.
Entertainment is subjective and anyone can be successful given the right timing, luck and material. Someone can be a homeless guy with zero skills. But if he somehow got a YT channel up and running from borrowing internet access at a library, he might become a hit.

Some musicians can't write and read music, or even play an instrument. But given the right material, marketing and explosive performances could be smash hits.

On the other hand........ if you want to be a rocket scientist, you can't just wing it and hope to be successful.

sublimit

Banned
Entertainment is subjective and anyone can be successful given the right timing, luck and material. Someone can be a homeless guy with zero skills. But if he somehow got a YT channel up and running from borrowing internet access at a library, he might become a hit.

Some musicians can't write and read music, or even play an instrument. But given the right material, marketing and explosive performances could be smash hits.

On the other hand........ if you want to be a rocket scientist, you can't just wing it and hope to be successful.
You are equating success with quality. Today you don't necessarily need the later in order to achieve the former.

TLZ

Banned
As soon as he started going on about comparing cellphone pictures with a girl in japan i KNEW it was tim rogers. that's longer than it would usually take me to recognize his prose.

edit: why are people in here shitting on tim rogers so much? most game reviewers don't know how to talk about a game like it isn't a slice of bread. Tim turns game reviews into an artform in itself. The way reviews are supposed to work is that you build an understanding of the reviewer, so that over time you can know if you should play a game based on not just whether the reviewer in question "liked" it, but what kind of thoughts it made them have. Tim Rogers excels at thought-having, but to be fair, you need a pretty high IQ to understand Tim Rogers
High IQ huh...

giphy.gif

Thanks for the laugh.

All you need is some imagination, practice writing and a lot of rambling.

IQ.....

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hudo

I love his videos, but this really rubbed me the wrong way. I wonder if it wasn't under the kotaku "Gamers Are Dead" banner if I would have had a different opinion.
I have never heard of this "Gamers are dead" banner. What was going on?

zenspider

I have never heard of this "Gamers are dead" banner. What was going on?

I'm coming this really late, and it is GamerGate tangential, so I don't want to inflame anything - my understanding is that games journalists took a page from Ezra Klien's JournoList (sorry, can't use markup UI on my phone)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JournoList

called GameJournoPros. I've only gone down the rabbit hole so far, but it's pretty clear they set an agenda called "Gamers Are Dead" (not sure the origin of the coinage, where a coordinated meme-bomb went off on dozen ostensibly competing, unafilliated sites with a single week. They are, at my most charitable, a strange antagonism against video game enthusiasts, and an effort to create this "anti-gamer" gamer culture.

Compared to the actual JournoList and it's power, it's bush league stuff, but it's particularly strange as games journalists are also the industry PR and it's all so incestual.

You can jump down the rabbit hole yourself, or I'm sure folks here know way more, but that's my fairly neutral take (I'm not pro-GG or anti- GG).

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Banned
A games journalist who knows nothing about either gaming, journalism, or both?

Imagine my shock.

Last edited:

Hudo

I'm not sure you wanna go down this rabbit hole but if you want to know, start here:
http://deepfreeze.it/article.php?a=enemy
I'm coming this really late, and it is GamerGate tangential, so I don't want to inflame anything - my understanding is that games journalists took a page from Ezra Klien's JournoList (sorry, can't use markup UI on my phone)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JournoList

called GameJournoPros. I've only gone down the rabbit hole so far, but it's pretty clear they set an agenda called "Gamers Are Dead" (not sure the origin of the coinage, where a coordinated meme-bomb went off on dozen ostensibly competing, unafilliated sites with a single week. They are, at my most charitable, a strange antagonism against video game enthusiasts, and an effort to create this "anti-gamer" gamer culture.

Compared to the actual JournoList and it's power, it's bush league stuff, but it's particularly strange as games journalists are also the industry PR and it's all so incestual.

You can jump down the rabbit hole yourself, or I'm sure folks here know way more, but that's my fairly neutral take (I'm not pro-GG or anti- GG).

Oh wow. Thanks for the replies! I didn't know that it would be related to stuff like that.

Top Bottom