• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kung Pow is one of the greatest comedies of our generation... no EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
While at the store on Sunday I saw a double DVD pack with "Dude, Where's my Car?" and of course, "Kung Pow" It was only 14.99 so I easily convinced my mom to buy it. I have probably seen Kung Pow 10 times on HBO/Cinemax but I had to watch it first. So my siblings and I watched the movie. We laughed so hard that we damn near cried.

When ever people shit on the movie they either do it because:

A) They want to sound cool
B) They haven't seen the whole flick
C) They don't like comedies

The jokes in the movie are all great. The best being the combo of Betty taking the bamboo blows and the Chosen One trying to do the same.

Oh god, I'm cracking up as I type. Jesus that movie is great. Now all I need is the Pootie Tang DVD.

BTW: When does the next installment come. I have read interviews that they are trying to make one, but those were from 2-3 years ago.

XS+

Banned
Totally agree.. except I think it was a horrible, unfunny POS.

Nice concept, VERY poor execution imo.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Kung Pow is one of the greatest comedies of our generation... no EVER.

Tell me about this strange, new world you live in. The version I saw only had one funny scene, and that was when the guys started singing the taco song.

The Black Stallion said:
The jokes in the movie are all great.

Oh god, I'm cracking up as I type. Jesus that movie is great.

Let me guess, you also liked Anchorman? What is this black hole that is devouring good comedy? From where does it come?

tt_deeb

B000065U35.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

NOWSTFU

evil ways

I discovered this piece of shit on HBO, but even though it's still a piece of shit movie, I couldn't help but laugh at certain scenes, like when Betty attacks the village and you can see the Chosen One running down the field. They rewind the scene and use the same footage, like the guy is running on the same place without advancing.

Girl: "Chosen One!!!"

Chosen One: " I'm coming"

Girl: "Chooooooooosen Oneeeee!!"

Chosen One: "I'm coming!! I'm coming!!"

Also the movie theater intermission ad:

"Go buy some snacks and some carbonated sodas!!"

"I've got some yellow liquid for your popcorn, and it's non dairy"

No, I didn't like Anchorman that much. It was like drinking flat cola. You KNOW what it tastes like when it's good, but bleh. The only good scene was the street fight and the convo right after: "Yeah, you better lay low for a while."

Harold and Kumar was damn funny though.

Yeah, the Naked Gun series is up there too. Neilson is great because he looks like a man with so much dignity.

I loved the movie. But but you have to watch it under certain guidelines

1) It has to be past midnight
2) You have to see it with a large group of people
3) And you have to be totally out of it

Hilarious movie, but if you don't watch it under those guidelines the movie sucks.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Hate Kung Pow the first time I saw it... thought it was the stupidest thing I'd ever seen... but it grew on me... and I think it's hilarious now.... the outtake version of the Chosen one getting his @$$ kicked during the final fight is just too much... (It's an extended version of when he's getting kicked and punched, I'm talking REALLY extended, it's hilarious!).

Drexon

Banned
Come ON! This movie is läughtöbërfëst!

"You go over there, I'll go home!"

"Uhhh, uhhhh, tell me.. if you see a radio chack."

Girl: "Schhhhhaaah!"

The dogs dubbing that came in way late.

The dubbing of the guy who says something for like five minutes and all that comes out is "I dunno.".

And: "We purposly trained him wrong, as part of a joke." *lol*

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I thought it sucked personally and I really tried to like it. The last comedy that actually made me laugh was probably The Naked Gun 2 & 1/2. The only redeeming quality for me was the fact that Betty looked exactly (and I mean exactly) like my old boss, who I hated.

While it is a funny flick, it's nowhere near the best.

I'd have to probably second the Naked Gun flicks, though they did drop in quality by the third one.

Speaking of the Naked Gun team, I happened to run across Top Secret! last night. If you haven't seen that one yet, you need to. A lot funnier than I remembered.

Kung Pow is awful and a horrible horrible comedy. BUT it is one of the most quotable movies I've ever seen. Watching the movie isn't particualrly funny the first time, but after you've laughed yourself silly quoting it the next few days it's a lot more tolerable, because you're waiting for your favorite quotes.

jett

D-Member
Fuck no. Kung Pow is just a horrible piece of shit. It was a nice idea, but failed terribly. Oedekerk(or whatever) should stick to doing his also unfunny "thumb" movies.

Leon

"My finger points" is the one line I'll never forget.

This movie does what it does extremely well. By the time you finish laughing at one quip, 3 more have passed by. It doesn't stop. I loved it.

AeroGod

Its a funny movie, but its really really dumb.

"Ok, so here were my options. (a), quickly duck left, dodge the claw and take him out with a spinning back kick, or (b), take the claw in the face, roll on the ground and die."

*gets hit with claw*

"dammit should have gone with A"

LOL

Leon said:
This movie does what it does extremely well. By the time you finish laughing at one quip, 3 more have passed by. It doesn't stop. I loved it.

That's one of the reasons it's the best. Strait up non stop humor. None of the jokes have that cheap-o feeling either. Like the preview to the sequel: The whole bit when he was counting each and every one of the enraged soldiers was GOLDEN. I also lauged pretty hard when the "Chosen One" doesn't even mention the fact that the ninja chick had one huge boob. Funny shit.

=W=

"I am a great magician - now your clothes are red!"

I love this movie, but it's probably because I saw it with a huge group of guys at college.

I feel kind of sorry for comedy elitists. They act as if it's a good thing that they don't find anything funny anymore. I find almost everything funny (except 90% of romantic comedies).

KAOS

Malleymal:
Agreed! I tried real hard not to laugh while watching this movie but the dubbed male to female oriental crying made me burst. Pure genius!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
=W= said:
I find almost everything funny (except 90% of romantic comedies).

Wow, that's almost everything!
Except that probably 90 % of all comedies made today ARE romantic comedies. ;)

Fusebox

Banned
I like the kind of cat hissing noise the chick makes every now and then for no reason - man that cracks me up when I'm bent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom