• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

L/R-TTP: Super Metroid (on Wii)

Minamu

latest

RTTP because I've tried to beat this game so many times and given up at various points.
LTTP because I finally beat it today :D

My first encounter with Super Metroid was probably back in high school, roughly 10 years ago now. A classmate showed me his skills at home on his SNES. I was already hooked on all sorts of Metroid Prime hype and was eager to see more of the series. But for some reason, while having tried numerous times to complete the game, I either gave up and quit or just lost interest mid-way through. I've beaten all Prime games several times with 100% collection rates and even tried emulating speed running tricks, especially in the first game. Zero Mission had me hooked as well, just like Fusion. I tried to like the original emulated through Fusion but I couldn't get into it, a bit too rough around the edges after all these years for my tastes.

But, having brought my Wii over to my gf's apartment for some Mario Galaxy adventures, I noticed yet again that I had bought the "Wii version" a long time ago, and I dove right in at any chance I got, which was sadly not all that often. The cinematic intro and subsequent escape, delicious. The initial landing with that gorgeously yellow spaceship, unforgettable. I think that's my favorite area in the entire game. The music and rain, perfect mood setter and just so cozy somehow :)

I love the sense of exploration, you don't see that all too often these days. And the subtle storytelling, nowadays mainly found in the Souls games, is so great too. First thing I wanted to do after I beat it was to restart a new save! But what I did instead was to view two Games Done Quick speed runs on YouTube, with guys beating the game in a staggering 40+ minutes :lol My final time was 6:39 hours and I found 69% of the items, which chocked me, seeing how I could only remember two seen items I deliberately ignored/gave up on.

Super Metroid is clearly a masterpiece, anyone who's played it probably agrees with me there. Norfair's music made me giddy thanks to Prime, Maridia's mood makes me shiver, the ghosts in the wrecked ship are eerie as hell, the helpful animals are cute and quite a clever in-game way to explain certain mechanics. The breaking of the glass tube with a power bomb is simply mind-blowing to this day, no matter how simple it may seem.

As an aspiring game designer, it's hard to find any real faults in this game. However, the controls on the Wii are a bit wonky though, but I'm not sure if it's the emulation or my classic controller that's broken. Wall jumps and space jumps were very finicky to pull off with any sense of control. Once, Samus got stuck looking diagonally down while running which a reboot solved, so something is surely up with that. But I remember the controls being very demanding in the original as well, and refined and/or dumbed down in games like Zero Mission. That game, if my memory serves me correctly at all, performs as well as speed runners make this game look awesome. I'm not gonna fault the design for being nonsensical in its level design and hidden paths, that's all great and adds a lot to the exploration. But at the end, I found it a bit weird to be running around with about 120 missiles for no reason. Early on, they're fairly scarce, and I've always been a hoarder so outside of maybe bosses and the red doors for sure, I tend to never use my weapons :/ And you quickly get quite a lot of them, and they feel very superfluous to me. But that short melody when you pick up an item, godlike! You basically just want to find upgrades to your weapons or suit just so you can hear that tune one more time, it's so good.

Correct me if I'm wrong but in my experience, switching between missiles etc only works from left to right, yes? That was annoying me quite a bit as it led to me getting hurt needlessly and wasting ammo. That swinging technique though, so much fun! Grappling hooks need to be in more games, I tell ya. Pretty powerful as a weapon too, I was surprised to find out on accident (and pretty damn cool in a certain boss fight as well, very clever). Scanning for items and hidden paths was a well-needed feature too. Too bad the scanning is so slow to move around, but at least the game freezes while you use it.

But these complaints are petty in the grand scheme of things. The major concern I've always had with the game is the lack of hand holding to be honest. I don't mean that it needs modern levels of absurd hand holding, far from it, but while I have about the first half of the game pretty much nailed down, once you get the power bomb and need to head over to the wrecked ship and get the gravity suit, I lose it completely. In fact, this is probably where I've given up the most over the years. Although I beat it today and got through this part a few days ago, I still don't have a clean grasp on where to go in the right order. I'd probably redo some of the same mistakes next time I play this game. This time I almost got stuck underwater for good because I got in somewhere I wasn't supposed to just yet. I seriously contemplated the possibility of starting over, I was that stuck (under water in the sand pits mainly, without neither space jump nor gravity suit, sucks). Getting this stuck is very difficult up until this spot in the game's structure. I even had to use a super missile glitch to get out once. I don't think it's that possible after getting the proper suit either, although I almost managed again xD Don't get me wrong, I love Metroidvanias with all my heart, and Super Metroid's sense of exploration is top notch, but to me, the game loses some of its sense of direction a bit once the power bombs are introduced.

Speaking of power bombs though, the weapon upgrades and the suit abilities are so great and add a ton to the game's exploration. Slowly but surely upgrading yourself to become a complete powerhouse is a great feeling and feels just right, balance-wise. The fact that any of them can be turned off and/or skipped entirely wouldn't fly in modern games but it works flawlessly in Super Metroid, and the way the weapons interact and change behavior is design candy. I noticed today that you can turn off certain suits and you get your original colors back. It even affects the space jump sprite! I was amazed at this. I also learned in one of the speed runs that turning off a specific suit under water can give you a speed boost of roughly 10%, which I assume is a glitch in the code, but cool nonetheless. Although only intentional design in Zero Mission (well-known game for designing the levels around speed runners and their tricks), Super Metroid has so many hidden secrets, both things like the multiple bombs drop to mach balling, and it's just fantastic what can be accomplished with such an old game and physics engine. It's a true inspiration, really.

I'm glad I finally pulled through and finished the game. It's a great journey from start to finish with great music along the way. The game doesn't need fancy enemy AI outside of the bosses. The main bosses are unforgettable, I think I'll always remember Phantoom and Kraid the best. Even Crocomire is funny is his/her own way. I don't think I'll ever get back into the game and try to beat any speed runs, my controls felt way too wonky for that to be doable probably, but finding all items would be nice.

TLDR: Despite some nitpicking issues, I think Super Metroid is an amazing game and accomplishment and holds up incredibly well to this day.

What's your favorite memory of this ageless classic?

TheYanger

The thing I think about when I'm not trying to think about super metroid? Brinstar music. Also the underwater tunnel tube that you blow up with the super bomb later.

Great game but it doesn't like pervade my thoughts indirectly besides those two things.

Pinky

Banned
A timeless masterpiece. Amazing from beginning to end. This and Metroid Prime are tied for my favorites in the series. Easily the best 2D entry. Level design, atmosphere, music... All top notch!

And Crocomire still freaks me out, lol!

maxresdefault.jpg

I have difficulty pinpointing a single moment from Super Metroid that makes it such a great game. It's the pervasive and sinister atmosphere of isolation and fear that will always stick with me most.

I've always felt that Metroid is the most un-Nintendo like Nintendo series and its particularly evident in this game.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
A timeless masterpiece. Amazing from beginning to end. This and Metroid Prime are tied for my favorites in the series. Easily the best 2D entry. Level design, atmosphere, music... All top notch!

And Crocomire still freaks me out, lol!

maxresdefault.jpg

crocomire_by_emortal982-d74y6ox.jpg

sgjackson

I played it for the first time a few months ago also. I think it's a definite classic and one of the best SNES games, but I don't think it's faultless - the controls feel a little floaty and Maridia is kind of all over the place compared to the other areas. That said, the seamless map design, difficulty, Giger-esque art style, and soundtrack are all top notch and easily outweigh the minor issues I have with it.

Kyzer

Banned
Probably the most fun I've ever had playing a video game. I played it for the first time when it came out on the VC

Ezalc

This and F-Zero GX are basically perfect games in my eyes. So good. Such a shame about how the creator treats the series now.

It's not a masterpiece in my opinion, but it's a well made game. I comply with the sense of loneliness it portrays. The controls and movement felt weird to me at first, but I got used to it. I still don't know why one of the hidden paths at the end of the game doesn't show up when you use your scanner. That's what the shit is for.

devonodev

Closest thing there is to a perfect game.

I agree the controls can be a bit hard to get used to, but I think getting stuck looking in a direction is a problem with your controller. And while you do have to select missiles left to right, you also have an item cancel button to deselect them all.

Glad you persisted through after getting stuck, too many people give up early on. How would you rank it with the other Metroid games you've played?

Thud

I played it for the first time a few months ago also. I think it's a definite classic and one of the best SNES games, but I don't think it's faultless - the controls feel a little floaty and Maridia is kind of all over the place compared to the other areas. That said, the seamless map design, difficulty, Giger-esque art style, and soundtrack are all top notch and easily outweigh the minor issues I have with it.

Almost done here, but I feel the same. Knew it was something special the moment that intro started.

z1ggy

One of my fav games of all time. Not many games get all things right as this one. It's too damn good in every single way.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I love the atmosphere in this game.

For a 16-bit 2D sidescroller, it nailed the creepy isolation feel well. That Alien influence. You could feel it. At the same time it felt unique, probably because Samus is a capable superhuman bounty hunter. It's foreboding and creepy, but you can handle it, so you don't feel helpless despite questioning your environment and safety. You really are a lone warrior in a strange world, and a space archaeologist in addition to that, almost - exploring Zebes, finding ancient artifacts, fighting terrifying alien creatures all the while. I'm not describing this very well, but man. The Prime games (especially the first) carried its spirit better than Fusion did (and I love Fusion).

Bonus art by fellow GAFfer Orioto:

super-metroid.jpg

Minamu

And Crocomire still freaks me out, lol
Indeed, he was also much tougher than I anticipated/remembered which made it scary. But most of my memories of him is from speed runs and they make everything look easy :)

I have difficulty pinpointing a single moment from Super Metroid that makes it such a great game. It's the pervasive and sinister atmosphere of isolation and fear that will always stick with me most.

I've always felt that Metroid is the most un-Nintendo like Nintendo series and its particularly evident in this game.
I completely agree, it's amazing what they accomplished when it comes to tension and atmosphere. What do you mean by it being un-nintendo? Because it's much darker than say Mario?

shame the guy who made it can never touch the franchise again
Why's that? I noticed something called Deer Force in the credits and the speed runners shouted it almost like a mantra xD I've never heard of them before.

Same issues I had with it. The water based levels are hell and I dread them very much :/

It's not a masterpiece in my opinion, but it's a well made game. I comply with the sense of loneliness it portrays. The controls and movement felt weird to me at first, but I got used to it. I still don't know why one of the hidden paths at the end of the game doesn't show up when you use your scanner. That's what the shit is for.
Do you mean just after Ridley? Because I had the same problem. I actually went back the way I came, knowing it was definitely the wrong way to solve the issue, and I space jump through the hugely deep acid pool with space pirates in it. I only found the right way by watching the speed runs after the game was over... And I did scan that particular wall too.

Closest thing there is to a perfect game.

I agree the controls can be a bit hard to get used to, but I think getting stuck looking in a direction is a problem with your controller. And while you do have to select missiles left to right, you also have an item cancel button to deselect them all.

Glad you persisted through after getting stuck, too many people give up early on. How would you rank it with the other Metroid games you've played?
How do you deselect them?! :) Great news. It's hard to pinpoint where this game is compared to the others. Prime 1 was my first real Metroid adventure so that's a tough one to beat for sure. The mood and atmosphere in Prime is very close to this one though. You can almost feel how thick the atmosphere is, as if you could touch it with your hands. The later Primes weren't as good at this iirc. I mean, it has been ten years surely since I touched a Metroid game so my memory is a bit fuzzy :/ It's mainly the controls that hold this one back for me, it's not fun to fight the controls to get Samus to do what I want. But at the same time, it's far from the worst game in the series or anything, quite the opposite actually :) I thoroughly enjoyed this, just like I adored Zero Mission and Prime 1.

Pinky

Banned

Thank you for the impending nightmares. ;)

Indeed, he was also much tougher than I anticipated/remembered which made it scary. But most of my memories of him is from speed runs and they make everything look easy :)

Thinking about it more, I think the music during that battle is what freaks me out the most. There is a sense of discomfort and urgency which really adds tension to the battle.

Darrenf

I started playing it recently. I'm really enjoying it although I can't wall jump, I've tried it over & over yet I can't get the hang of it. I need to learn so I can get the Power Bomb so I guess I'll just have to keep on trying.

Neff

From the moment you descend to a dark, grey, rainy planet with thunderclaps in the background and hear this, you know you're about to experience something special.

vityaz

From the moment you descend to a dark, grey, rainy planet with thunderclaps in the background and hear this, you know you're about to experience something special.

Hngh, the flashbacks. Defiintely top 3 snes game.

Got myself the japanese release a few years ago (it even got english language option! for whatever text there is...), gotta dig up the snes and do a replay sometime soon.

I never really got into the primes unfortunately.

Pinky

Banned
I started playing it recently. I'm really enjoying it although I can't wall jump, I've tried it over & over yet I can't get the hang of it. I need to learn so I can get the Power Bomb so I guess I'll just have to keep on trying.

Wall jumping is a bitch. Takes a lot of practice and, even then, there's no guarantee you'll pull it off each time.

tbd

This and F-Zero GX are basically perfect games in my eyes. So good. Such a shame about how the creator treats the series now.

Not the owners fault when the majority has shitty taste and doesn't buy those games. This is what you should be pissed about.

Red Hood

Banned
Not the owners fault when the majority has shitty taste and doesn't buy those games. This is what you should be pissed about.

I think he's the one with shit taste. I remember reading Sakamoto actually liked how Other M turned out and that he would do it again. He defended it more than once, citing stuff like this has always been his vision for Samus and other things that were wrong with the game.

I'm not sure what to believe to be honest. It's like the guy doesn't even understand Metroid at all, which of course is weird considering he's the one that brought us Super Metroid, among others.

Thud

Finished it today. Deep Norfair is goosebump town.

Not my favorite Metroid game, but it's been a good experience.

Peltz

An awesome masterpiece. I can't imagine how mind-blowing it must have been to those fortunate enough to play and beat it when it first came out.

Fredrik

Truly awesome game. I 100 percented it for the first time last year and it's my favorite game of all time, every game that loans anything from this game gets my respect, the more they take from this game the better the game get.
Btw, I just started playing Ori two days ago which loans a lot from Super Metroid. Amazing game, don't miss that one either.

redcrayon

I only played it for the first time about five years ago and it easily sailed into my top three SNES games. The best in the series and one of the best games ever made IMO.

It's interesting how it's probably the most common SNES game for people to play twenty years after it's release and rave about. Good word of mouth and it standing up really well due to that timeless exploration gameplay, maybe.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Id love to play it but I reckon im way too old for that shit.
How so?

Why's that? I noticed something called Deer Force in the credits and the speed runners shouted it almost like a mantra xD I've never heard of them before.

I was being sarcastic. Fans hated his last game and unanimously decided it's the only thing he's capable of making :/

And no idea what Deer Force is...

score01

Loved this game back in the day. Still have the big ass red game box it came in with guide.

My favourite memory has to be getting stuck for ages and for the first time ever calling the Nintrndo hotline for help.

power bomb in the glass tube.

I'm not the only one who had to do this am I?

Loved this game back in the day. Still have the big ass red game box it came in with guide.

My favourite memory has to be getting stuck for ages and for the first time ever calling the Nintrndo hotline for help.

power bomb in the glass tube.

I'm not the only one who had to do this am I?
At one point I just went around to every room and powerbombed every screen from top to bottom.

dukeoflegs

When I figured out the grapple beam trick against Draygon as a kid, I was blown away. I love this game to this day, always pull the cart out and play it once a year.

sgjackson

An awesome masterpiece. I can't imagine how mind-blowing it must have been to those fortunate enough to play and beat it when it first came out.

yeah, i agree with this. experiencing it for the first time having experienced the decades of platformer design post-super metroid mitigates its impact a little, but at the time it had to be mindblowing compared to what else was out there.

zoodoo

The first game that actually tought me how atmosphere can influence the quality of a game.
A true masterpiece.

entremet

Masterpiece!

I owned this game and it gave me so much joy. I just loved playing like a sandbox game, messing around with stuff.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Still my GOAT. Need to give it a playthrough soon.

Minamu

I was being sarcastic. Fans hated his last game and unanimously decided it's the only thing he's capable of making :/

And no idea what Deer Force is...
Ah, yeah I gave up on Other M after just a couple of hours, couldn't enjoy it properly at the time. I found out what Deer Force is. It's an inside faction of the Intelligent Systems/Nintendo R&D1 team. It's a combination of members from two factions that created an additional faction just for Super Metroid (and later Fusion and Zero Mission).

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Ah, yeah I gave up on Other M after just a couple of hours, couldn't enjoy it properly at the time. I found out what Deer Force is. It's an inside faction of the Intelligent Systems/Nintendo R&D1 team. It's a combination of members from two factions that created an additional faction just for Super Metroid (and later Fusion and Zero Mission).

cool, thanks for sharing!

regarding Other M, there are plenty of good reasons not to like it, what bothers me is fans that think that it somehow erases all credit Sakamoto has earned with prior games.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I disliked this game solely because of wall jumping. I couldn't get the hang of it and frustrated the hell out of me. To this day, every time someone mentions this as the SNES G.O.A.T. I am feel ashamed because obviously THEY could do wall jumping just fine, but I couldn't!

Is it better in Metroid Fusion/Zero Mission?

I disliked this game solely because of wall jumping. I couldn't get the hang of it and frustrated the hell out of me. To this day, every time someone mentions this as the SNES G.O.A.T. I am feel ashamed because obviously THEY could do wall jumping just fine, but I couldn't!

Walljumping is very seldom needed in Fusion and Zero Mission, so you might enjoy those more. And yes, it's much easier to do.

redcrayon

The key with walljumps in Super Metroid, is that unlike Megaman X etc, where you push away and jump simultaneously, in SM you push away first (giving a single frame of animation where she almost faces the camera) and then jump a fraction of a second later. It's a little counter-intuitive as most other platformers that use it do it the first way.

Top Bottom