• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance McDonald reversed engineered Elden Ring’s PS5 executable and found that the game runs worse because the PS5 build has no compiler optimizations

cireza

From Software.

trying-not-to-laugh-guy.gif

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
my small brain dont understand, what does it mean?
When you are compiling binary, you have the option to include flags in the compilation process, which will introduce optimization from compiler/Sony, by itself. Many features, like AVX and so on, are only enabled when there are proper flags. Outside of that optimization works by scanning code and finding out patters, which could be replaced, by heavily optimize version to that platform.

Depending on the quality of provided code, it could have 1% advantage with quality engineered code, who knows what they are doing, but with shit code you are in 10ths of % better running code. Granted these things are to everything outside of GPU, but it could speed up even rendering process, because there are ton of loaders for everything on the screen less waiting = faster running code.

Last edited:

vkbest

"Lazy" is the term I would use.

"It runs fine out of the box, no need for optimization!"
Compiler optimization usually is an automatic process activating a simple check. So or they are incompetent because they don't know about it, or they are incompetent because they have something in their engine can't run with compiler optimizations.

Last edited:

Codeblew

No compiler flag is going to make the PS4 version run better than the PS5 version unless it is an extreme case. I guess if the they compile the PS5 version with the DEBUG flag on and they have a bunch of slow debug only code.

M1chl M1chl mentioned AVX flags above which I didn't think about so a maybe that explains it. Just so unprofessional to not have at least 2-3 people responsible to ensure that their builds (and code) are squeezing as much potential out of the hardware as possible.

Last edited:

For those worrying about ACVI it looks ok on PS5 if you have a VRR TV but definitely not locked 60fps on the PS5 version while Lance says the PS4 version is completely locked 60 on PS5

Thanks for sharing. Those drops to mid-low 50s are pretty annoying if you don't have a VRR screen. Hopefully we'll also get a DF video on Armored Core 6 later today.

For those worrying about ACVI it looks ok on PS5 if you have a VRR TV but definitely not locked 60fps on the PS5 version while Lance says the PS4 version is completely locked 60 on PS5

On PS5 with VRR it's always above 48fps during gameplay so that's OK. But the real problem on PS5 (like with Elden Ring BTW) is the mandatory and heavy motion blur compared to the PC version.

Just because that I wouldn't advise to buy this on console. Just buy the PC version where you can remove all that shit.

hlm666

No compiler flag is going to make the PS4 version run better than the PS5 version unless it is an extreme case. I guess if the they compile the PS5 version with the DEBUG flag on and they have a bunch of slow debug only code.

M1chl M1chl mentioned AVX flags above which I didn't think about so a maybe that explains it. Just so unprofessional to not have at least 2-3 people responsible to ensure that their builds (and code) are squeezing as much potential out of the hardware as possible.
They chopped most of the avx support out of the ps5 cpu didn't they?

Nonehxc

🤣

WTF From, we assumed you were just another japanese team creatively proficient but technically limited.

What we didn't know is that the limitations were in your undeveloped brains, so plain retarded to not tick a few boxes, and stupidly irresponsible to not check, find this, recompile with the ticks and flags and update for more than a year.

Guess we must start calling them Fuck Software. 🫠

Wasn't Series X also having performance problems and more or less PS5/Series X had the same performance?🤔

For a time I thought about selling my PS5 copy and picking it for Series X, but I think I read or hear that it was the same case on both consoles and I just assumed it was From Software stupenduos coding skills again and just braved through it. Guess if it's the same case, if they make optimization changes to PS5, then Series X and Series S probably have the same unoptimized mess and will get the same treatment of a japanese dumbo ticking a few boxes in the compiler, recompiling and pushing the update.

Just a thought... 🤔

Maybe From Software are so utterly retarded that they don't know to optimize flags is just a few ticks in the compiler, and what we've been thinking as their thrashy coding skills is just they never ever ticked those boxes EVER in any of their games on every system, since the PS4 version on PS5 runs at lower resolution without raytracing and a few others bells and whistles, and we were just brute forcing everything. Because lets be honest, we all have thought or felt that, for the graphical quality From Software gave us, we should have been getting much more performance than we were. On PC, since we had more horsepower available than the consoles of the time, we just brute forced them to a confortable 60fps and called it a day. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

SABRE220

I love FROM and they undoubtedly are amazingly skilled developers, but damn are they terrible on the tech side. Its not even criticism regarding the underwhelming graphics/tech because the amazing art offsets it somewhat but my lord they absolutely do the absolute minimum in terms of due diligence in optimization/qc. I mean this shit needs to be called out and they need to do better, that is literally the most basic and easiest fix you can do and yet its been over a year and they are fine with the next gen version being the inferior version.

I wish more journalists/players start calling them out on their shit, because this is for their benefit aswell so they can be the best they can be and become a truly polished studio. I cant help but feel they are coddled compared to other developers even when they release buggy games that can drop to terrible framerates and this is coming from someone who has bought every single soulsborne game.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
ITT a team that's released an unbroken string of highly rated and popular games is now "incompetent", not because their product tends to be unstable or bug-ridden, but because of alleged compiler config options of all things...

Either way, if its such a critical, but easily fixable issue, it'll get fixed quickly and completely. But if it doesn't... maybe there are actual reasons why that's the case.

Their artistic vision and design might be great, but holy shit at the backend. This shouldn't surprise anyone, but it's still disappointing to see in such an acclaimed title.

I mean, when first party has a solution to brute force native code, and not pretend that it's a BC solution at the same time, why would you wanna mess with the game logic? The customer is not gonna look at the code and all they care about is "framerate and resolution" to get outraged on twitter and youtube.

Take the easy way out and pretend your pipeline has compiler optimization, DGAF about frametime inconsistencies. There's a reason why Cerny gave importance to the term "primitive shaders" and it's not just because AMD terminology for last gen architecture.

Most big Japanese devs don't do this. Take Kojima Productions, Capcom, Square etc, for example.

Is this a definition of a lazy dev? Just asking ?

It 100% is.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

ITT a team that's released an unbroken string of highly rated and popular games is now "incompetent", not because their product tends to be unstable or bug-ridden, but because of alleged compiler config options of all things...

Either way, if its such a critical, but easily fixable issue, it'll get fixed quickly and completely. But if it doesn't... maybe there are actual reasons why that's the case.
From soft game have never been technically sound...

I would regard their technical prowess as "incompetent" for sure when measuring against most of their contemporaries considering that they have since PS360 gen been having massive success with each title selling more and more and garnering more and more sales and accolades yet the technical issues still remain 🤷‍♂️. Technical issues that should be caught and easily fixed before launch like this, or frame pacing and so on.

Frankly it's becoming Pokémon levels of not caring now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom