• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 'Isn't Going to be on Game Pass', Insists Larian Boss; "We made a big game, so I think there's a fair price to be paid for that."

Flutta

Banned
How dare youWhen the xbox community hear they have to pay for games
giphy.gif
When the Xbox community hear a developer having integrity.

How Dare You GIF by moodman

Last edited:

GHG

That's what Microsoft pays them for (if it were on game pass). It's almost like people are intentionally gaslighting people about the business model somehow meaning shit is free or cheap.

How is he gaslighting?

I'm sure he'd know what kind of money Microsoft would offer for them to throw their game on the service but he's simply not interested for the reasons he stated.

If he doesn't want the game on the service because of what it represents then so be it. Most big games want nothing to do with the service for their initial run, this is nothing new.

Honestly it just depends how much Msoft is willing to spend. And now that I’m sure the game has already turned a profit and is still selling especially after all the award winning, down the line if Msoft opens its pockets and offers something insane, there would ultimately be no benefit to them of keeping it off Game Pass.

But since it just launched on Xbox last week, yeah it needs some time to sell for sure. A year from now? I don’t think Game Pass is off the table permanently for the game depending how much Msoft is willing to spend. They wouldn’t turn down $500 million or something ridiculous like that.

SHA

There should be at least 7 of these, we deserve all that more frequently than the current state.

nowhat

Has the game sold well on playstation? I didn't see it on their sales charts.
It was #2 both in US and Europe during launch month. After NBA and ex-FIFA (respectively), so not surprising it didn't hit the first spot, because, casual sports fans (which are a formidable force when it comes to sales). Not sure about sales since.

Last edited:

Edmund

It was available as low as $18 via VPN a few days ago, not sure if it still is. But that's what I used.

This will be my holiday period game as nothing else is coming out and I'm not reupping gamefly till March.

It's a damn good game and you're in a for a treat!

NickFire

Completely ridiculous that this was ever considered a sensitive subject. I suppose not offending the 3rd party studios who knew their games were better off being included day 1 could be a factor though. Considering how poorly the COD single player joke was received by some devs, I'm sure some tears would have been shed if everyone was honest about why a 3rd party studio took the check instead of testing the market first.

Anyway, as others have said it will probably be included on a sub at some point when sales have dried up. Almost guaranteed.

Juza

It would be so stupid for them to put their game on Game Pass while it's still on the top-selling games right now.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

That's what Microsoft pays them for (if it were on game pass). It's almost like people are intentionally gaslighting people about the business model somehow meaning shit is free or cheap.

1. Microsoft will not offer them something fair (at least not what is fair now), so this is a silly argument.
2. Having premier games in Gamepass serves to devalue a game as a purchasable item, so this isn't even about Baldur's Gate 3, it's about how Gamepass trains people to think games don't cost anything. This same problem is why mobile games (and journalism, TBH) are almost entirely trash.

Atrus

Gold Member
The responses of some in this very thread are demonstrating why Gamepass is a problem for developers and a problem for Gamepass itself whenever the price increases.

Arachnid

.... YET *
Yep. They said the same about Control. 4 months later, gamepass. BG will be there eventually. Even if it takes a few years.

That said, I feel completely justified paying the 70 I did for it. I hope they hold off on gamepass for years and rake it in.

Top Bottom