• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 'Isn't Going to be on Game Pass', Insists Larian Boss; "We made a big game, so I think there's a fair price to be paid for that."

Three

Mate, I don't know where this conversation is going either. BG3 is trading places with CoD as the top paid app on Xbox right now.

GBZWdVJWoAAIyi-

Your 'oh i thought 2nd place wasn't good enough' gotcha attempt made little sense, especially as this is a late port anyway. Not a day and date release with the other versions.
The PC version released earlier too if you didn't know. Didn’t stop you from downplaying second place on Fifa launch month, for the entire month sales. Then gloating about second place in a month that didn’t even have another big game launch, on an hourly chart. I asked if you think Fifa on launch month is smaller than CoD on month 2, where sales have dropped considerably. You pretended like the answer existed in Circana data with some false facts and more COD yearly gloating. Not surprising how your standards change though.

Vlodril

GP people are so annoying.

Entire new game announced? "Does this gonna come to GP? If so I will give a shot"
New game launched? "Does this gonna come to GP? I will only play this if it comes to GP"
Company says their game won't be coming to GP? " I will wait until eventually comes GP"

It's not just gp people. Replace gp with steam and you will be golden as well.

Silver Wattle

Gold Member
Anyway, who else thinks Larian's initial plans to make a smaller game are probably going to change with how much praise and sales they have gotten from BG3? a sequel would be both warranted and wanted by consumers, it wouldn't take as long to develop since they have most of the game worked out.

Dutchy

GamePass is starting to look more and more like a dumping ground for developpers without faith in their product. Enjoyed my time with it during the last gen but in recent years it's been kinda eh.

I'll always prefer paying full(er) price for a title that I'll own forever. And I'm glad Larian had the integrity to take that risk.

I can also imagine that, if they were gauranteed to get some risk-free minimum income, they wouldn't have cared as much to polish it to the extent they did. In that way I can definitely see GP devaluating the standards that companies set for themselves. We see it in other services too (Netflix).

Last edited:

Kenpachii

bought a copy for my friends and bought the game on for myself.

After divinity 2 and how they kept supporting it through half a decade, with even a remake of it for free and content updates. Totally worth it.

Impotaku

Looks like if peasant game renters want it they’ll have to cough up full price. I see no problem with them not releasing it to the lowest common denominator a lot of work was clearly put into that game and it shows.

Mister Wolf

Anyway, who else thinks Larian's initial plans to make a smaller game are probably going to change with how much praise and sales they have gotten from BG3? a sequel would be both warranted and wanted by consumers, it wouldn't take as long to develop since they have most of the game worked out.

They need to do a Planescape game next. They are officially the Dungeons & Dragon studio now.

Good for him on his stance. Games like this that are successful prove people will buy a game if it’s really good. Thats how companies recoup on their investment and make sequels. Sub services like Gamepass don’t do any good in that regard. It cheapens the product and limits the revenue needed for a sequel.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
GamePass is starting to look more and more like a dumping ground for developpers without faith in their product. Enjoyed my time with it during the last gen but in recent years it's been kinda eh

That's a weird stance to take in what is arguably one of the best years for game pass🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
It's not just gp people. Replace gp with steam and you will be golden as well.
Not really. People on Steam know that it takes a few years for deep discount Steam sales.

By the way this game will probably go on GamePass when they start giving it away in Humble bundles.

adamsapple

It's almost like people have different tastes and some of them don't like a mega collection of average and outdated games.

Kinda like how different developers have different opinions on putting their games on services. Some even thrive off of it.

Dutchy

Kinda like how different developers have different opinions on putting their games on services. Some even thrive off of it.
Yeah I'm sure my previous post talked about none of that.

Did any of those "thriving" developers win GOTY's too by any chance?

adamsapple

Yeah I'm sure my previous post talked about none of that.

Did any of those "thriving" developers win GOTY's too by any chance?

Yes, many.

2022: Immortality, Pentiment, Vampire Survivors, Plague Tale: Requiem, Citizen Sleeper, Norco, Sniper Elite 5, Tunic
2021: It Takes Two, Forza Horizon 5, Halo: Infinite, Psychonauts 2, Unpacking, Age of Empires IV, Back 4 Blood, Scarlet Nexus, Artful Escape, Forgotten City

I'm sure I missed a few, but all the above games are from the last 2 years which won one or more GoTY awards and were on game pass at the time.

Esppiral

You didn't bother dubbing a heavy focused story driven game to the second most spoken language in the world so unless I can play it for free don't expect a cent frome Larian....

Vlodril

Not really. People on Steam know that it takes a few years for deep discount Steam sales.

By the way this game will probably go on GamePass when they start giving it away in Humble bundles.

You say that but this game has been among top sellers on steam since launch. And 0 discounts so far.

Oh i didn't mean the discounts just what people say. If you replace steam with gp it just goes
Entire new game announced? "Does this gonna come to Steam? If so I will give a shot"
New game launched? "Does this gonna come to Steam? I will only play this if it comes to Steam"
Company says their game won't be coming to Steam? " I will wait until eventually comes Steam"

Fanboys are fanboys wherever they are.

Guilty_AI

Oh i didn't mean the discounts just what people say. If you replace steam with gp it just goes
Entire new game announced? "Does this gonna come to Steam? If so I will give a shot"
New game launched? "Does this gonna come to Steam? I will only play this if it comes to Steam"
Company says their game won't be coming to Steam? " I will wait until eventually comes Steam"
Fairly different situation from gamepass though. Costumer is still paying full price for the game on steam, its less a matter of fanboying (or money like GP) and more a matter QoL. Reality is most other clients suck ass.

Vlodril

Fairly different situation from gamepass though. Costumer is still paying full price for the game on steam, its less a matter of fanboying (or money like GP) and more a matter QoL. Reality is most other clients suck ass.

I agree it has nothing to do with gamepass. It was just a thought about the situation on steam i do disagree though that it is less a matter of fanboying and more a matter of qol. It is still fanboyism just trying to disguising itself. (like any console warrior the pc warrior is no different just in a different area. Fanboyism is just daft anywhere).

Edited to add: This has nothing to do with the thread really and was a random thought so sorry for the derail.

Last edited:

JackMcGunns

Game Pass does have its uses. You can have both, this is not one of those games that will benefit from Game Pass. MS will continue to put it's first party games there which is still great, but we can't expect a game like GTA6 to be included with Game Pass lol.

Top Bottom