• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

As much as it might be shameless self-promotion, no love for Recettear in the $5+ section? :(

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/

The Japanese-made, me-and-buddy-localized item shop simulator-slash-RPG-thingie that a lot of people seem to like! I can promise that it is at least Sort Of Good. Probably.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Eternity's Child being on Steam makes me angry for all the indie devs who've been unfairly rejected by Steam. Ugh.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
chubigans said:
Eternity's Child being on Steam makes me angry for all the indie devs who've been unfairly rejected by Steam. Ugh.

:(

Wait, Hammerfight is on Steam? And it's $2.49? SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEET

I played the pre-alpha version way back when and it was still amazing back in its incomplete unpolished glory.

IoCaster

Green Scar said:
SalsaShark, you are some kind of funky god of awesome and sexy OPs. Keep it up :p

^^^
This. So much this. Thanks for an awesome thread and all of the hard work it took to put this together. It's definitely time to bloat my Steam games collection with a bunch of last minute buys.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, Aquaria looks fantastic. Why did I never realize what this was before.

CecilRousso said:
Don´t know anything about Disciples II, but Jagged Alliance 2 should be added to OP. It´s just as much classic PC gaming as Fallout 1 or Deus Ex 1.
Jagged Alliance 2 is $5, so you're only paying $1.24 more for some really fantastic strategy games.

Definitely recommend CreaVure's at that price. Copying my Steam rec:
http://store.steampowered.com/recommended/byafriend/49810/76561198034082721
A fun, relaxing platformer with absolutely gorgeous backgrounds. Definitely recommended to any platformer fans. The only slight problem is that the game doesn't do a good job on explaining the controls, but they're simple enough anyway--Space to Jump, hold right or left arrow keys to move and down to crouch, and use F to use your current character's special ability. Once you get two characters, use S to switch between them at any time. Once you get three characters, you'll learn that you can only have two of them out at the field at one time. To switch one of your characters currently on the fireld to one that's not, press D at a checkpoint. And that's it. That said though, yeah, definitely recommended to anyone whose looking for a relaxing, beautfiul platformer.
xulaf.jpg

10p0ysh.jpg

2h7ge87.jpg

o56o7b.jpg

I just beat the game yesterday myself--took me about 6 1/2 hours to do so, according to Steam. Granted, that was with me going after a lot of the collectibles (there are two types of collectibles in the game--Motes and Essence. Motes are typically just along the path to the end of a level, but essences are typically a bit trickier to get and are lesser in number and often require you to switch between multiple creatures, using each of their special abilities to get to them. This adds in a bit of a Metroidvania-style quality to the game, especially as you'll see some motes and essence in the early levels that require the abilities of creatures you don't have yet to get to, and thus you'll have to repeat the level later once you have them if you want to get 100%), but I still don't have 100% of them--it would probably add somewhere around 40 mins-hour to my time if I went after the rest.

Plus, I've only played the game on Easy for now--there are two other difficulty settings that I haven't messed around with at all yet. And since the platforming can be tricky at times just on Easy (though typically it is pretty straightforwards, especially if you're not interested in the collectibles at all), I'd wager that Hard should be a real good challenge for those looking for it.

And lastly, if you're still not convinced, just look at these achievements:
2ugkyah.png

I think I've made my case for why this game needs more love.

Salsa

SpaceDrake said:
As much as it might be shameless self-promotion, no love for Recettear in the $5+ section? :(

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/

The Japanese-made, me-and-buddy-localized item shop simulator-slash-RPG-thingie that a lot of people seem to like! I can promise that it is at least Sort Of Good. Probably.

I cant recommend it enough, but the idea of the thread was to not emphasize games that were already a daily this week. I think and trust that everyone who wanted it got it there.

Its here now though since you posted! :p everyone makes a contribution.

Nirolak said:
Wow, Aquaria looks fantastic. Why did I never realize what this was before.

buybuybuybuybuybuy

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for the thread, by the way. Nice work.

I want to second recommendations for Shatter and Stubbs the Zombie. Stubbs the Zombie may not be the best or most polished game, but I really like the variety of gameplay, crazy humor, and soundtrack. I may always point this out, but I think there are very few games that feature third-person melee gameplay, minion control, shooter mechanics (first-person sniper rifles when you control a human?), a dance contest, and a very dramatic urination gameplay sequence.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
DMPrince said:
what's the resolution for the game? i like the style ;o

1024×768

... yeah I know :/ It still is really beautiful,though.

Blizzard said:
Thanks for the thread, by the way. Nice work.

I want to second recommendations for Shatter and Stubbs the Zombie. Stubbs the Zombie may not be the best or most polished game, but I really like the variety of gameplay, crazy humor, and soundtrack. I may always point this out, but I think there are very few games that feature third-person melee gameplay, minion control, shooter mechanics (first-person sniper rifles when you control a human?), a dance contest, and a very dramatic urination gameplay sequence.

Yeah, the soundtrack is great. I love Death Cab for Cutie's cover of Earth Angel.

Saige

I must do better.
Great thread. Remembered I had like $1.40 on some old prepaid visa card, so I picked up Rush.

Gvaz

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Absolutely amazing FPS/TD game
I wouldn't say that

SpaceDrake said:
I think, along with myself, most people who'd buy it have already bought it.

Chrysalis

Hey GAF, couple of questions:

1) Have the problems with Oddbox been fixed and will Stranger's Wrath be receiving the resolution upgrades?

EDIT: sounds like this was answered in the affirmative earlier.

2) Anybody have thoughts on Lume, Eufloria (1 rec so far), Hinterland, or Guns of Icarus?

DeepFriedMuppet

Neo Member
The Broken Sword games are absolutely brilliant adventure games. The puzzles tend to be much more logical and less obtuse than some, and while they're definitely funny, it's a much drier humour than the slapstick of a Monkey Island or Sam & Max. You could even compare the series to Uncharted in some aspects of the tone.

I remember liking the Commander Keen games way back when, but I'm not sure if they'd hold up as quality platformers. Might just be a nostalgia trip.

I had quite a bit of fun with Space Giraffe on the 360. It's weird and crazy and very much a Jeff Minter game. It also gets bastard hard very quickly.

Totally loved Puzzle Agent. It's like Professor Layton meets Fargo with a bit of Twin Peaks spoofery thrown in. The puzzles are pretty run of the mill, but it gets away a lot with it's style and laughs. Also the gnomes are terrifying.

I'm thinking pretty seriously about VVVVVV. It looks like an old Spectrum or Amstrad computer game which is probably reason enough to give it a go.

Blizzard

Banned
LastWindow said:
Yeah, the soundtrack is great. I love Death Cab for Cutie's cover of Earth Angel.
I actually own the soundtrack separately. The CD is decorated to look like an old LP. :D Lonesome Town is probably my favorite: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP28nXTEVqg

I'll definitely second the recommendations for Aquaria as well.

Practically every game in that Meridian4 adventure pack looks neat, so I'm going to pick up the whole $20 pack (average of $3.33 per adventure game, YUS PLZ).

*edit* Fine, Broken Sword pack too. Looks interesting.

By the way, I haven't tried Stubbs the Zombie on Windows 7 (ATI card here) so I can't offer guarantees there.

LProtag

Tempted by LucasArts Adventure Pack and Gratuitous Space Battles (even though it's not on this list).

Would set me back 10 bucks for the complete version of GSB though...

Blizzard

Banned
Stubbs the Zombie even claims ATI cards aren't supported. o_O Weird that they'd work in Win7 but nVidia wouldn't, if so. At any rate, there's a demo so maybe that can help people see if it will run.

PaulLFC

Carm said:
Apparently Stubbs the Zombie is broken for Win 7 Nvidia users. There is apparently a fix for ATI though.

Noooo :( Can anyone confirm this? I was about to buy it tomorrow, but I'm running Win7 with a GTX 460.

Salsa

Blizzard said:
Stubbs the Zombie even claims ATI cards aren't supported. o_O Weird that they'd work in Win7 but nVidia wouldn't, if so.

I wouldnt be surprised if there's a workaround soon (if there isnt already buried somewhere)

lot of people complaining about it and a lot of people with Win7 and Nvidia cards bought it on these sales.

PaulLFC said:
Noooo :( Can anyone confirm this? I was about to buy it tomorrow, but I'm running Win7 with a GTX 460.

If you have the money to spare id say still get it. These things never stay this way, and the game doesnt go on sale often at all.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Defense Grid + DLC : I think it's $3.45 for all of it. One of the best TD's gameplay wise, a nice companion, tons of replayability.
Shatter should be an auto pickup as well.

SalsaShark said:
I cant recommend it enough, but the idea of the thread was to not emphasize games that were already a daily this week. I think and trust that everyone who wanted it got it there.

Its here now though since you posted! :p everyone makes a contribution.

Oh, well, shit, fair enough then! Heck, you can remove it if you want to, don't want to hog attention away from games that deserve sales. :x

Which is to say, this thread has so far enticed me to buy Aquaria and the PA games (two bucks, jesus).

Haeleos

There needs to be more RPGs like Eschalon in the world... I highly recommend it to old school western CRPG fans.

It has similarities to roguelikes in the sense that it's pseudo turn based and NPCs/enemies only take an action for every one you do. It's surprisingly relaxing to play yet has a really challenging difficulty.

If you like games like Ultima, Baldur's Gate, or almost any CRPG from the 80s-90s, you need to be checking it out. The developers of this game love those games as well, and it shows.

Gvaz

Banned
3chopl0x said:
Aren't you the guy who forced his opinions on everyone in the Sale thread? I don't like you.
Forced my opinions? Some of them were my opinions but they were also general opinions from other forums and people as well.

Also I like how you're implying that stating opinions of people is "forcing them" on others. A forum is a place for discussion, not an echo chamber for things you like to hear.

joesmokey

Picked up The Longest Journey Bundle today. Is Syberia I and/or II worth it as well?

Nimbus looks interesting, downloading the demo of that now.

Salsa

SpaceDrake said:
Oh, well, shit, fair enough then! Heck, you can remove it if you want to, don't want to hog attention away from games that deserve sales. :x

Which is to say, this thread has so far enticed me to buy Aquaria and the PA games (two bucks, jesus).

Its no problem at all, its like with Juravsky posting Braid, still worth to get it if you missed the daily. Reccettear is easily worth $10 and more. You did a great job with the localization btw, never got a chance to personally tell you that.

HK-47 said:
You forgot Nimbus, Salsa

already beat myself up about it, check the second page

mxgt

Banned
Think I'm just gonna buy all the indie stuff I want now seeing as it's not going to be discounted further tomorrow.

SirSwirl

Neo Member
Was trying to avoid this sale but couldn't help but break down on this last day.

Bought VVVVVV, Shatter, NightySky, Nimbus, and NyxQuest. Hopefully that will be it but you never know.....

Top Bottom