• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

~Kinggi~

Banned
joesmokey said:
Picked up The Longest Journey Bundle today. Is Syberia I and/or II worth it as well?

Nimbus looks interesting, downloading the demo of that now.
If you like adventure games the Syberia games are wonderful. Check out the Still Life pack too if you like darker themed games.

Blizzard

Banned
PaulLFC said:
Noooo :( Can anyone confirm this? I was about to buy it tomorrow, but I'm running Win7 with a GTX 460.
Try the demo, it might be worth a shot. I don't know what the actual problem people are reporting is though (i.e. glitch vs crash). It's an old game so I suspect the dev may not be supporting it anymore, and Steam isn't GoG so they probably don't update it.

joesmokey said:
Picked up The Longest Journey Bundle today. Is Syberia I and/or II worth it as well?

Nimbus looks interesting, downloading the demo of that now.
If you're interested in Syberia and don't have the other Meridian4 adventure games, take a look at the Meridian4 adventure pack. It's like $3.33 average per game ($20 for 6 games) and some of them have some pretty decent reviews.

Gvaz

Banned
I got garshap cause i love those kinds of games, does it work with a 360 controller? I'm feeling pretty lazy

Carm

Blizzard said:
Try the demo, it might be worth a shot. I don't know what the actual problem people are reporting is though (i.e. glitch vs crash). It's an old game so I suspect the dev may not be supporting it anymore, and Steam isn't GoG so they probably don't update it.

If you're interested in Syberia and don't have the other Meridian4 adventure games, take a look at the Meridian4 adventure pack. It's like $3.33 average per game ($20 for 6 games) and some of them have some pretty decent reviews.

The demo for Stubbs may work, but the actual game won't. Unless I'm thinking of another broken game. So I wouldn't base a purchase off the demo.

Caerith

Excellent thread, definitely made some additions to my list from this.

Didn't see it in the OP, but it came highly recommended in the Steam Summer Sales thread:

Paradox Fantasy Pack - $7.99

header_586x192.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/8675/

Contains Majesty 2 + DLC, Elven Legacy + expansions, and the original Majesty.

Majesty is an RTS with no direct unit control. Instead, your units are AI-controlled adventurers who follow traditional RPG tropes, while you create the means and incentives for them to accomplish your goals. Check out the GB quick look to see it in action.

Mr_Zombie

Can someone recommend me a good platforming game suitable for a 5-year-old (no, Super Meat Boy, nor Eversion, nor VVVVVV doesn't count ;))?
I'm sick of my nephew playing some shitty flash games on Cartoon Network page and would rather buy him something worth playing.

Echoplx

Gvaz said:
Forced my opinions? Some of them were my opinions but they were also general opinions from other forums and people as well.

Also I like how you're implying that stating opinions of people is "forcing them" on others. A forum is a place for discussion, not an echo chamber for things you like to hear.
Everyday you would list games as good and bad as if it were fact.
Man most of these deals are terrible.

Good Games:
Amnesia
Mafia 2
The Last Remnant
Divinity 2 DKS
Dirt 3
Splinter Cell 1 & chaos theory
Mass Effect 1
Empire/Napolean

Meh Games:
Splinter Cell Conviction and double agent
Fallout 3
Worms reloaded
RF:Armageddon
Mass Effect 2
Yes, a forum is for discussion, unfortunately you didn't provide discussion you provided a list without even giving reasons for your opinions.

Blizzard

Banned
Hazaro said:
Defense Grid + DLC : I think it's $3.45 for all of it. One of the best TD's gameplay wise, a nice companion, tons of replayability.
Shatter should be an auto pickup as well.
Defense Grid is no long as cheap unless it shows up on a recap sale.

BIG THANKS to Hazaro for pointing out that all four of the map packs are free for 3 tickets on the Steam summer sale thing! I'm gonna get myself another ticket and pick them up for free instead of $1-4. :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Hazaro said:
Defense Grid + DLC : I think it's $3.45 for all of it. One of the best TD's gameplay wise, a nice companion, tons of replayability.
Also the DLC you can get with 3 tickets. Great deal. ADD IT SALSA

Shatter should be an auto pickup as well.
ADD

Blizzard

Banned
Carm said:
The demo for Stubbs may work, but the actual game won't. Unless I'm thinking of another broken game. So I wouldn't base a purchase off the demo.
Oh okay. Well, maybe there'll be a workaround some day. *shrug* I'm buying it again anyway just to have it on my Steam account in case my DVD rots or something, lol.

Balb said:
I know Rocket Knight is kind of mediocre, but is it still worth playing?

No. It's an insult to the Mega Drive/SNES games, and to the fans, made by someone who doesn't even like the originals.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Basileus777 said:
Can someone tell me about the the Maw and Hinterland?

Hinterland has a lot interesting things going for it but polish or accessibility isnt one of them. Its really raw. I like complex games but Hinterland was very weird. Of course I wont tell anyone not to give strange Indie titles a try, but the game didnt work for me after my initial impressions.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
SolarKnight said:
Gaf, what are the chances Super Meat Boy will be a deal again tomorrow? I missed my chance D:
I wouldn't guess it would be that high. Still waiting until tomorrow to buy couldn't hurt.

Gvaz

Banned
Kaizen said:
Should I buy DEFCON? It's 4.99€ / $4.99. Is it good?
It's really good.

The description and video is pretty much what you can expect from it I think, not sure what else I could say about it.

ATF487

Mr_Zombie said:
Can someone recommend me a good platforming game suitable for a 5-year-old (no, Super Meat Boy, nor Eversion, nor VVVVVV doesn't count ;))?
I'm sick of my nephew playing some shitty flash games on Cartoon Network page and would rather buy him something worth playing.

Commander Keen!

I played the 4th one a ton when I was a kid, they're a bit old now but I think they hold up well.

PaulLFC

Yeah I think I'm gonna buy Stubbs anyway while it's only £1.50, hope it works, and if it doesn't, hope that someone finds a way to make it work eventually. The price, if it does work, is too good to miss.

SorchaR

Is Port Royale 2 at €0.99 (I can't believe I'm fussing over such a small amount, but I'm trying to squeeze as much fun as possible out of my limited budget) worth picking up?

And to add another game for the spotlight:
Spectromancer + League of Heroes + Truth and Beauty Bundle at €4.74
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22500/

It's a cardgame with a fixed deck for the single player campaign, Truth and Beauty adds a draft tournament where you can build your own deck. Several people have warmly recommended it for that price, and if you're cash strapped Spectromancer on it's own is €2.49
I tried the demo and found it a lot of fun.

Previous said:
Garry's Mod has been tempting me for 6+ years, here goes nothin'

Just make sure you have a bunch of other Source games like Half-Life 2, CS:S, etc... lots of mods and objects from those games.

pirata

IF YOU HAVE NOT YET BOUGHT SHATTER, GET IT. IT IS FUCKING AMAZING. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT IT, GET IT FOR A FRIEND. IT'S THAT GOOD, AND A STEAL FOR THE PRICE.

Mr_Zombie

SalsaShark said:
The Maw?

or you meant strictly 2D?

Let's just say that my notebook doesn't belong to the "PC master race" category ;) I've just tried the demo of The Maw and while the game is adorable, there's a slight control lag; while I can live with that and adapt to it, I doubt the kid would.

So I would rather stick with 2d platformers.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I'm gonna give some quick recommendations:

Toki Tori - $1.24

This game was already a steal at 5 bucks, at $1.24 it's a must buy if you enjoy puzzle games. There's a large amount of content that should keep your brain busy for a long time.

Super Laser Racer - $1.25

This game's not bad at all, it's pretty decent for top down racer with cool shiny graphics. I was ready to move on after spending the couple of hours which takes to unlock everything but the developer updated the game with a multiplayer mode so that may extend yoru play time a little.

Flight Control HD - $1.25

Simple concept, simple gameplay but tons of fun. It's a perfect trime waster if you only want to play for short periods of time, worth a purchase.

Osmos - $2.49

Even tough it gets incredible hard in latter levels and the interface could use some work, Osmos is a pretty a good game that has pretty relaxing music.

Machinarium - $3.40

Fantastic adventure game with a great art style and lots of charm, the in-game hint system makes for a great help if you ever get stuck.

Zombie Driver - $3.40

Zombie driver has the gameplay style of GTA 1 & 2, you control a car from a top down perspective and attempt to run over as many zombies as you can, if you car is not enough weapons pickups will help you get the job done faster. The game had low content at release with a single game mode but the developers has released constant game updates that add a bunch of new modes which is really nice. Anyway the game's pretty cool if you

eversion - $2.49

Eversion is an awesome little game that doesn't get the love it probably deserves, it's just a fantastic experience that is well worth t's asking price.

Thanks for the list. I own a lot of these games. Probably going to buy both Eschalon games.

Would really appreciate some impressions on Saria and Mosby's Confederacy if anyone's got 'em.

GAMES YOU SHOULD BUY

Buy Space Giraffe. PC version is superior to the XBLA version. It even lets you tone down the visual craziness if you're some kind of pussy. Don't play it like Tempest 2000. Read the Help section and maybe watch a youtube video. If you played Space Giraffe like Space Giraffe it's an amazing experience.

Buy Jamestown. I tend to be a shooter snob. I didn't buy this at launch because the whole widescreen Western developed shooter with unlockables was a turnoff. But it's actually pretty good. I can think of a bunch of little tweaks that would improve it, but it's obviously a labor of love and so much better than any other Western shooter I've played recently. So now I kinda regret not paying full price. Definitely worth the $6.xx it's selling for right now.

Buy VVVVVV When it comes to the 2D platformers of 2010 I think I had more fun with VVVVVV than Super Meat Boy. Great soundtrack, nice slippy controls, clever gimmicks and puzzles, perfect length.

Buy X-Com. Because it's the best. I'd say buy Jagged Alliance 2 but the Steam version had a bug that they didn't patch for years. Dunno if they fixed it yet?

Buy Real Myst. It's $3. It's a Myst remake. By Sunsoft. Yeah, the guys who did Blaster Master and Batman and Journey to Silius and Gimmick. They remade Myst in a 3D engine. Got it as a gift during the Christmas sale and was surprised to find myself actually digging it. Cheat once you get to that tunnel maze though. That thing blows.

Buy Shatter. I honestly haven't put too much time into it, so I'm not fully comfortable going all bold text on it...but I'm pretty sure it's a good game. Those Gripshift dudes make some good stuff.

Buy Hinterland. Hinterland is a really great concept. Diablo with some low-level city building built in. It didn't have the longevity I'd hoped for but I'd recommend it over most of the Diablo clones out there, cuz none of them are better than Diablo. Hinterland is at least something very different.

Buy Recettear cuz I still feel guilty for getting it in that $5 indie bundle. Steal of the century.

Buy Sid Meier's Pirates

Buy Aquaria cuz it's a pretty good 2D exploration Metroid-y deal.

GAMES YOU SHOULDN'T BUY - LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES

Do not buy the Path. Tales of Tales makes games that don't require a player. I try not to throw out the 'it's not even a game' card, but when it comes to Tales of Tales it's true. They're not games. They're not even good examples of interactive storytelling. If their games were films -- and they may as well be -- they'd be laughed at, because they are embarrassingly bad. Do not buy the Path.

Do not buy Jolly Rover. I guess I got it in one of the indie Christmas sale bundles? I played it to earn a summer camp ticket because I am stupid. By the third puzzle the lead character is mouthing off about how stupidly nonsensical the puzzle solutions are, which is a very, very bad sign. "Sometimes I don't understand why I do the things I do!" It's like this. Except it's from 2010 or something. I'm not nuts about the new Telltale adventure games but they are many times better than Jolly Rover.

Do not buy Dark Void Zero. It's a jetpack game that constantly strips you of your jetpack. It's very short and easy. It's got lousy level design and iffy collision detection. It's by Backbone or one of its offshoots. If you want to play 8-bit style games go play the real thing. This is a terrible impersonation that gets nearly everything wrong.

I played the Polynomial to get a ticket. I dunno what the hell was going on in that game. I don't think anyone who played it has a clue what was going on. I swear half the indie games on Steam are barely designed REZ-inspired neon musical borefests and I probably own all of them thanks to all these bundles.

Is Beat Hazard on this list? Because no one should buy Beat Hazard. The game is an eyesore. It's like they ripped some sprites from a mid 90's shareware shooter and laid them on top of a blindingly obnoxious MP3 visualizer. It's also another score attack game designed by people who don't seem to understand score attack games. If you wanna blow your eyes out buy Space Giraffe. If you wanna solid twin stick shooter buy Geometry Wars. Don't buy Beat Hazard.

Zombie Driver is a better concept than it is a game, and it's still not as good a concept as Simple 2000 Zombie Vs Ambulance.

Do not buy any of those dejobaan games. I feel somewhat bad for being so negative in this post. Bitching comes easier than praising. I'm sure these games are all products of hardworking people. Many of them probably never made a game before. I'm sure they'll get better! But I have a very, very strong dislike for dejobaan's games, and I don't think I can go into detail without sounding like the biggest asshole in the world. That Katamari clone just offended me deeply, OK? And everything they've made since seems similarly sloppy and forced, though at least they're original shitty games rather than blatant ripoffs.

Eusis

LiK said:
Eternity's Child looks awesome and only a buck? bought.
I got it when it came out because it was an upcoming WiiWare game that I liked the look of. It really wasn't worth bothering with, and the fact the WiiWare version quietly faded away without release should tell you something.

Anyways, any chance Valve will buck the trend and NOT make tomorrow a recap day? Have their been spoilers already? I'm thinking of getting Aquaria at the least, but may hold out for tomorrow just in case.

Gvaz said:
I got garshap cause i love those kinds of games, does it work with a 360 controller? I'm feeling pretty lazy

It doesn't work very good with the 360 controller.

Actually, if you are feeling lazy, it is way easier to play with the keyboard and mouse, as surprising as that sounds. Just WSAD move and right and left click your hearts content to bash away on stuff.

The controller support is kinda busted. You can't run with the left analog, only d-pad or right analog. And R-click is bring up menu for some weird reason.

I almost always prefer controller for these types of games, but I started enjoying it way more when I switched to keyboard and mouse. I'm about 3 hours in and I am having a lot of fun on easy difficulty.

Rummy Bunnz said:
Do not buy any of those dejobaan games. ....That Katamari clone just offended me deeply, OK? And everything they've made since seems similarly sloppy and forced, though at least they're original shitty games rather than blatant ripoffs.

You may be offended, but most genres rip each other off all the time. If something is ripped off enough it becomes a genre. Katamari only has one clone, so we call that game a rip-off. But rip off or not, It's The Wonderful End of the World is a FUN game for people who like Katamari. It's got nice music, it controls well, and it's cheap.

Gustav

Banned
PaulLFC said:
Is the Drakensang prequel good? It's not available in my region (UK) apparently. Only the original Drakensang game is available here.

It is better than the first one. :)

Top Bottom