• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Day of Steam Sales | you're officially broke: indie game / cheap game spotlight

Blizzard

Banned
I tried the Blueberry Garden demo again but couldn't get past the saltshaker. I just want to know if you can "win" it or if that's only possible in the full version. :p

LogicStep

Good job and thanks for putting this together SalsaShark! Might pick some of these up, already spent so much, a few more dollars here and there won't hurt as much.

Salsa

ib2VnG.PNG

one or two of those are bound to change before the end of the day

not nearly all i wanted to get, and im missing on some reeeal cheap stuff, but it'll have to do.

cicero

Carm said:

Do not buy any of those dejobaan games. I feel somewhat bad for being so negative in this post. Bitching comes easier than praising. I'm sure these games are all products of hardworking people. Many of them probably never made a game before. I'm sure they'll get better! But I have a very, very strong dislike for dejobaan's games, and I don't think I can go into detail without sounding like the biggest asshole in the world. That Katamari clone just offended me deeply, OK? And everything they've made since seems similarly sloppy and forced, though at least they're original shitty games rather than blatant ripoffs.
Sounds like fairly well reasoned legitimate issues. He certainly took the effort to actually qualify his comments and lighten the impact of his criticisms, unlike you. If he had been as off-handedly dismissive as your response was, he might have deserved that picture.

Salsa

To be fair, The wonderful end of the World is hardly representative of dejobaan games. Clearly their flagship title its AaaAaaAaAA!! and i personally love it. Not for everyone though, sure.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If anyone goes for the Longest Journey + Dreamfall, I definitely recommend playing through them one right after the other. I replayed all of TLJ when I got Dreamfall last year. Amazing storytelling all around, really.

PaulLFC

SalsaShark said:
To be fair, The wonderful end of the World is hardly representative of dejobaan games. Clearly their flagship title its AaaAaaAaAA!! and i personally love it. Not for everyone though, sure.

I liked AaAaAA!, but wow it was frustrating. I ended up giving up on it after trying (and failing) to get the summer ticket. Maybe I just sucked at it.

SalsaShark said:
This is true. I'm not being entirely fair, I know. Aaaa is a big step up, but I still didn't care for it. It's a good concept that would have greatly benefited from some streamlining.

Salsa

PaulLFC said:
I liked AaAaAA!, but wow it was frustrating. I ended up giving up on it after trying (and failing) to get the summer ticket. Maybe I just sucked at it.

its a hard place to start. Going right onto the summer ticket on the first time you play the game can definetly fuck up your experience. Start on the easier levels.

So The Longest Journey spazes out each time I try to run the demo. Static flicker weirdness. All the guides telling me how to run windowed aren't working. Any ideas? I'm on XP, and have good hardware.

Carm

cicero said:
Sounds like fairly well reasoned legitimate issues. He certainly took the effort to actually qualify his comments and lighten the impact of his criticisms, unlike you. If he had been as off-handedly dismissive as your response was, he might have deserved that picture.

The picture was more for Beat Hazard than the other two, but it applies to Zombie Driver and AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity. People don't have to like a game, but to call them bad or rip offs is going a bit far.

Can anyone chime in about Red Orchestra Ostfront's community? Is it fairly active if somewhat small? If Day of Defeat Source can still be chugging along I imagine Red Orchestra still is.

coopolon

Ledsen said:
Uh, you can buy your way past puzzles? I only had that option once in the game (
third time getting past the guard dog, he had a metal helmet on this time
), and I assumed I was supposed to do that. Also that puzzle you had in spoilers, I instantly figured it out the first time, but the second time... man, that was some obscure shit.

Yah, for that third time you
heat the metal hat.
You can buy your way past quite a few puzzles, I made up 50%, but it's quite a lot:
guard dog three times, buy the fish for the meal, buy your way into the lawn guarded by cannons I think, etc.

I'm amazed you figured out the backwards thing, when I read it in a FAQ I was shaking my head knowing full well I would never in a thousand years have come up with it.

Nelo Ice

Banned
heres what im probably getting today/tomorrow

vampire the masquerade:bloodlines
eschalon book 1 and 2
eversion
faerie solitaire

though atm im still considering the mawesome pack and the dreamfall/longest journey pack

though id like to stay under $50 since without the maw and the dreamfall pack i'll be slightly under or at $50 spend overall

coopolon

Rummy Bunnz said:
Just because the developer is aware of how stupid the puzzle is doesn't make it any less stupid.

Would you say the solution to the "get the rum" puzzle was sensible? From a walkthrough:

"Check the bottles in the galley and see that they are all empty. Check the cook and see that he is embracing a bottle of rum.

Look around. Get dried fish and peppercorn from the sink area. Open the left cupboard and get crackers.

Window: Check the left window and see that the hinges are rusty. Use the oily scarf with window. Open the window.

Bird bait: Use the dried fish with hook hanging in front of window. See a bird try to get the fish.

The "chef" wakes up and closes the window. He spills rum on the floor.

Use peppercorn with the spilled rum on the floor. Then open the window to let the bird in."

Then the chef gets up again and trips on the peppercorn, knocking him out, allowing you to take the rum.

???

Isn't that puzzle he says he doesn't understand why he's doing what he's doing? I agree, that puzzle was completely nonsensical. And one other puzzle type in the game is completely nonsensical (the one I mentioned earlier in spoilers, although Dresden said he figured it out right away so it was at least nonsensical to me.) All the other puzzles in the game were pretty intuitive I thought.

Ledsen

coopolon said:
Yah, for that third time you
heat the metal hat.
You can buy your way past quite a few puzzles, I made up 50%, but it's quite a lot:
guard dog three times, buy the fish for the meal, buy your way into the lawn guarded by cannons I think, etc.

I'm amazed you figured out the backwards thing, when I read it in a FAQ I was shaking my head knowing full well I would never in a thousand years have come up with it.

Well he did say something like "would've been a lot more effective if it was backwards". Still, the second time around I was completely stumped because it was fucking stupid. I did
buy the fish and I did buy my way past the guard dog the third time
, didn't know you could do it any other way :/

szaromir

Banned
Disciples 2 Gold and Jagged Alliance 2 Gold bundle offers the highest value in gaming at the moment for just €5.74.

Disciples 2 is a great HoMM-like strategy game that offers 13 very long and quiet challenging campaigns. The game has incredible 2D art, one of the best in any game ever.

DIS2EXPTIP_012-large.jpg

disciples2screen002.jpg

Jagged Alliance 2 is possibly the best strategy RPG of all time, if you haven't played it go get it.
Jagged-Alliance-2-Stracciatella_3.jpg

jagged_alliance2.jpg

LogicStep

Damnit man that Eschalon game looks cool. I never played those games back in the day. It looks interesting but I don't see anyone talking about them... Anyone care to try and convince me?

coopolon

zazrx said:
Damnit man that Eschalon game looks cool. I never played those games back in the day. It looks interesting but I don't see anyone talking about them... Anyone care to try and convince me?

I'd start off playing the true classics, especially since many of them are still so playable today with mods. Like the infinity engine games, fallouts, a few of the Ultimas.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
zazrx said:
Man, Jeff Vogel really needs to get on Steam

Nimbus deserves top billing in this thread! that game is great fun and really needs to be played with an Xbox 360 controller despite the 2D nature of it. the pad works natively, and both movement (using left stick) and braking (with left trigger) support analog for a finer level of precision. best description i can come up with for Nimbus would be pseudo-platformer/racer with a healthy portion of Super Meat Boy and a dash of classic Sonic the Hedgehog (not just the art style, mind you).

http://www.nimbus-world.net is a great little fansite that has dev approval which can be used to watch and download top ranked replays of every level.

i will also add here that i am really looking forward to getting into Eschalon Book II. the demo of the first one was intriguing and from what i have read Book II brings some significant usability improvements.

SapientWolf said:
No one with epilepsy should buy Beat Hazard. Anyone interested in a score attack arena shooter and a face melting visualizer rolled into one package should buy it hard.
just watching a minute or two of someone playing Beat Hazard on youtube hurt my eyes (not epileptic) and the gameplay looked like standard twin stick shooter fare which happens to be extremely over-saturated right now. i am a huge music freak but this "play to your own music" genre might not be for me. the Audiosurf demo did absolutely nothing for me and after that video i don't even want to try the Beat Hazard one.

Gvaz

Banned
SalsaShark said:
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Dejobaan%20Games%2C%20LLC&snr=1_5_9__408
Oh the only one I have is aaaaaaa and I barely even like that one :\

Carm

warbegins said:
Nimbus deserves top billing in this thread! that game is great fun and really needs to be played with an Xbox 360 controller despite the 2D nature of it. the pad works natively, and both movement (using left stick) and braking (with left trigger) support analog for a finer level of precision. best description i can come up with for Nimbus would be pseudo-platformer/racer with a healthy portion of Super Meat Boy and a dash of classic Sonic the Hedgehog (not just the art style, mind you).

http://www.nimbus-world.net is a great little fansite that has dev approval which can be used to watch and download top ranked replays of every level.

i will also add here that i am really looking forward to getting into Eschalon Book II. the demo of the first one was intriguing and from what i have read Book II brings some significant usability improvements.

just watching a minute or two of someone playing Beat Hazard on youtube hurt my eyes (not epileptic) and the gameplay looked like standard twin stick shooter fare which happens to be extremely over-saturated right now. i am a huge music freak but this "play to your own music" genre might not be for me. the Audiosurf demo did absolutely nothing for me and after that video i don't even want to try the Beat Hazard one.

Here is a WTF is... Nimbus? preview from Total Biscuit if you're on the fence as well.

HBroward

Solar 2

I would like to throw Solar 2 into the mix. It came out a couple weeks ago, and is 50% off for $4.99. It has a demo so you can check it out. Think osmos in space except better in pretty much every way. You can capture other planets in your orbit and they can develop civilizations which can attack other planets with space ships. Check it out.

TheNatural

My Member!
Surprised no mention of Altitude on the list, I think it's $5 now, but its a pretty addictive damn game, I've put so many hours into it. Basically a cartoon 2D plane multiplayer game where you play maps and modes like destroy the base or soccer for example. I dunno, it's simple, but deep fun, it reminds me of a Nintendo game. And it's one of the few indie games I know of that you can find multiplayer games online pretty easily and everything isn't just completely barren.

Awesome thread Salsa! And I thought my wallet had already dodged a bullet with the last day. People, you need to pick up Machinarium. It is one of the best adventure games I've played on pc. For that price it's a steal.

Kerrby

Banned
I've contained myself considerably well, only game I got was the Ben there Dan that pack that someone gifted me.

Damn you poor self!

Minsc

Gold Member
The_Technomancer said:
Man, Jeff Vogel really needs to get on Steam

Yea, it would be real nice, he tried, Steam doesn't want him apparently (scroll to end). Luckily Apple scooped him right up though! Not having any standards pays off once and a while!

Still, I'd definitely suggest anyone to go and buy Avadon directly if you're buying the Eschalon games, support these great RPGs! No DRM or anything, and there's a demo to try first :)

StuBurns

Banned
jling84 said:
I bought the Portal 2: The Final Hours. Should I wait until I beat Portal 2 to read through it?
Yes.

There is very little in the way of spoilers, but you won't have the context for much of it.

graywolf323

Rummy Bunnz said:
Do not buy Jolly Rover. I guess I got it in one of the indie Christmas sale bundles? I played it to earn a summer camp ticket because I am stupid. By the third puzzle the lead character is mouthing off about how stupidly nonsensical the puzzle solutions are, which is a very, very bad sign. "Sometimes I don't understand why I do the things I do!" It's like this. Except it's from 2010 or something. I'm not nuts about the new Telltale adventure games but they are many times better than Jolly Rover.

I get the feeling some of the humor went right over your head

also I greatly disagree about Jolly Rover, in fact for that one ticket it's the game I chose to write a recommendation for

Lkr

I've played Flight Control on the iPod and it was fun. I feel like it would be more fun on a larger screen with a mouse though. Does it get very boring quickly or is it worth the money? Yes, I'm that much of a cheapskate(poor college student)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
SpaceDrake said:
As much as it might be shameless self-promotion, no love for Recettear in the $5+ section? :(

header_292x136.jpg

http://store.steampowered.com/app/70400/

The Japanese-made, me-and-buddy-localized item shop simulator-slash-RPG-thingie that a lot of people seem to like! I can promise that it is at least Sort Of Good. Probably.

Question: Is there anything about your localization that would make it worth playing for people who have already played through the Japanese version?

Carm

Naval Warfare
Star Wars Republic Commando
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
Woody Two-Legs Attack of the Zombie Pirates
CreaVures
Solar 2

Any thoughts on those? I'm about 80% of the way there on Steel Storm: Burning Retribution after watching Total Biscuit preview it. Same for Solar 2. Does anyone know if you can play Republic Commando in a window without using some program to do it?

Woody Two-Legs preview if you haven't seen it. It's basically a twin stick shooter, looks okay.

Naval Warefare preview

AEREC

Ill probably pick up The Void (can anyone recommend it) tomorrow and then Ill be done...unless they do something special for the last day instead of the usual recap deals.

Caerith

graywolf323 said:
I get the feeling some of the humor went right over your head

also I greatly disagree about Jolly Rover, in fact for that one ticket it's the game I chose to write a recommendation for
When I first saw Jolly Rover, I was kinda excited. I love adventure games, especially those with six foot tall talking dogs. But it really does look like a Monkey Island clone with dogs.

Does it offer enough originality over Monkey Island that I would feel like I'm playing a totally different adventure?

Eusis

AEREC said:
Ill probably pick up The Void (can anyone recommend it) tomorrow and then Ill be done...unless they do something special for the last day instead of the usual recap deals.
It's DIFFERENT. I haven't gotten too far, but some people swear it's an amazing game, and at the very least you'd be getting something that's very distinguishable from other games.

Card Boy

Banned
Caerith said:
Does it offer enough originality over Monkey Island that I would feel like I'm playing a totally different adventure?

Yes I thought the jokes where pretty good despite being inspired by Monkey Island. The game took me about 4.7hours to clock according to Steam, It's abit easy but i say it's worth it.

I hope they make a sequel to it.

balddemon

Banned
COMMANDER KEEN! I didn't even know that was on Steam! Talk about nostalgia....I played that game constantly 10-11 years ago....and the game was made when I was BORN! Bought.

Great thread, thanks.

Well, I caved today, so I definitely fit the thread title.

Purchased-

The Void
Garry's Mod
The Path

oh, and Vampire Masquerade: Bloodlines
: D
Can't wait to play them all.

Top Bottom