• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late To The Party: Contra: SS

I just played Contra: Shattered Soldier today for the first time...Have always wanted to play it since it was released. Loved the originals, and still do to this day...And then I play this...It's entertaining, but WTF? I can get past pretty much everything by running with the "flame whip" held down...But I'm sort of having fun in co-op...Then we get to the first boss...And it's a helicopter...Then it's a mech...Then some fatass turkey drops down on it...And then I blow it's head off...And then it turns around and turns into a frat boy with bad breath. Man WTF is up with this game?

contra_071502_23.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How many stages did you finish? You can't just "fire whip" your way through the entire game...especially when trying for all S ranks (which I haven't actually done).

It's hard until you learn the patterns, then it's just hard to recreate them all perfectly in one run.

I wish there had been better endings for non S-Ranks though; it kinda craps on your hard work unless flawless.

Also, the control scheme doesn't work well with arcade sticks: me unhappy

Heliocentric said:
It felt like a bunch of unconnected stages slapped together. No sense of progress, really, and what happened to powerups and platforms?

They dropped the powerups in favor of strategy by giving you a few basic weapons that you can switch to on a fly. It allows you to make stategies to get to get 100% on each level.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
It's good game in and of itself, but no big deal for the series or genre. My biggest complaint is that the changes to the game's mechanics are not for the better. It's also way too easy for a "Contra" game.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
it's the best in the series - harder, more intricate, and more technical than its snes and genesis predecessors. snes sentimentalists are virtually always wrong.

Socreges

Banned
drohne, I think you're becoming way too quick to attribute difference in opinion to sentiment. Although I agree that SS is, in fact, a better game than its predecessors.

LOL CONTRA FORCE.

Anyway, Hard Corps was always way better than its SNES prequel. I don't understand why anyone would disagree with that.

BenT

Some (ie, me) prefer the more traditionally paced, platforming-centric nature of III as compared to the nearly non-stop boss parade that is Hard Corps.

They're very different games.

Pachinko

I feel the first 3 stages of contra 3 are the best designed levels in shooter history. Nothing I have played since tops them. shattered soldier felt a bit broken, not arcady enough.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
contra III was really already a boss gauntlet with nominal run and gun sections...hard corps and shattered soldier just refine that formula. contra III was an amazing game at the time, and unquestionably the big step forward for the series, but i don't think it compares well to subsequent contra games. not least because it only has 4 side-scrolling levels.

sarusama

I've only really played Contra, Super C (NES) and Contra III (SNES), but from what I can tell, these games are completely different from the successors. Just looking at the designs (the graphic style) it's not the same.

I seriously find the screenshot posted to be repelling. Also I find the character to look all wrong (when compared to the NES and SNES and even the Geni games). It seems since the PSOne games they changed the style to gross, disturbing and repelling. I don't really know how to put it, the NES SNES Contras were just more "normal", not like playing some gore fest.

BTW was Apaloosa behind SS? If not Konami did a great job ob copying their look&feel!

The last generation of Contra has been more about frantic shooting and having mid-boss every 5 seconds with a hardcore techno-rock soundtrack comparing to the cinematic and suspense feel of Contra III and his predecessors. I'm not telling that's wrong, but it would be great if it would return to its root at least one more time this generation or maybe the next.

I liked SS, but it's hardly the best in the series.

I'm on the 5th level now...Is that the final level? I'm fighting Lance...The game is more enjoyable as you get the hang of it, but in my opinion earlier Contra games were definitely better. Some of the bosses in Shattered Soldier are just wacked.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
ToyMachine228 said:
I'm on the 5th level now...Is that the final level? I'm fighting Lance...The game is more enjoyable as you get the hang of it, but in my opinion earlier Contra games were definitely better. Some of the bosses in Shattered Soldier are just wacked.

The bonus stages are definitely worth reaching.

Ramirez

I liked the game,but really really really sucked at it...I think the farthest I got was where your sking down the mountain or whatever with the snake jumping out of the ground.I think I beat that,then I'd always die on the next stage with the hornets or whatever :p

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Contra III is still the best one. I bought SS and beat it the first time I played it. I didn't think it was nearly as challenging as people made it out to be. I stuck with the flame thrower throughout much of the game as well. In the end, I thought it was a game that looked like Contra, sounded like Contra, and played like Contra but it didn't really FEEL like Contra (if that makes any sense). On paper it has everything to be a really good game in the series but in the end I just felt like something was missing.

pops619

Shattered Soldier is awesome. I guess I'm another of the few that considers it to be the best in the series. It has so many good boss battles. Beating it felt very rewarding, as this is easily the hardest game in the series. Getting all the endings in Hard Corps was a challenge, but just completing Shattered Soldier once took even more effort. It's games like this that keep me into gaming.

Top Bottom