• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Layers of Fear (2023) Reviews Thread

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Opencritic - 73

Metacritic - 75

5fKEitX.png
RfJLAeE.png

Last edited:
I enjoyed the first two games enough that I will check this out. But yeah you know what you're getting now with that Bloober style

Hey just as a heads up, I got an email since this game was on my wishlist saying the introductory price was 15% off, but when I went to the store page in steam it gave it to me for 45% off so I paid $22 CAD. Quick buy from me since I wasnt sure if it was a price error or what.

Elysium44

Banned
Hey just as a heads up, I got an email since this game was on my wishlist saying the introductory price was 15% off, but when I went to the store page in steam it gave it to me for 45% off so I paid $22 CAD. Quick buy from me since I wasnt sure if it was a price error or what.

I heard that owners of the original get a bigger discount, not sure if that's true but could explain your experience.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's a Remaster, everyone knows what to expect.

Vasili2K38

Yeah, when you have both games, LoF & LoF2, the discount is 30%.

CamHostage

There's a long-form chat of the tech in this from Digital Foundry (including talk from the developers,) which is worth checking out if you're interested in how the first major-market UE5 game. (Well, the first to use all its tools; T-Rype Final 3 was actually the first game launched that used UE5 for production, but it apparently doesn't use Nanite or Lumen.)

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
I just binged through the Painter's story (which is essentially the entire first game) and a bit of the Actor's story in one, six-hour sitting. Gotta say, this isn't what I expected but so far I'm digging this concept of taking the first two games and re-contextualizing them under a new, overarching story that ties them together into this horror anthology. It's also nice to see how they remade some parts of the original game. Some are hit, others are a bit of a miss. But the essence of what made the original Layers of Fear so memorable and captivating are still there.

I'm loving this. And oh god, it's so great to hear Tony Todd's deep, smoky voice guiding me through the Actor's story as the director. It's such a great performance that echoes Candyman a little bit.

Last edited:

Tarnpanzer

I just binged through the Painter's story (which is essentially the entire first game) and a bit of the Actor's story in one, six-hour sitting. Gotta say, this isn't what I expected but so far I'm digging this concept of taking the first two games and re-contextualizing them under a new, overarching story that ties them together into this horror anthology.

Ohh!

I did not know the remade both games. I thought they did just the first and the second game will come later as a separate game.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
which one has better quality? The Bunker or LoF? I tried the first LoF and it was ok. I’ve never loved Amnesia. I tried Visage a while back and it was ok. I really like horror games. Maybe I’ll just wait on AC6.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Ohh!

I did not know the remade both games. I thought they did just the first and the second game will come later as a separate game.
As far as I can tell, it's an all-in-one package of both first and the second game, plus all of their DLC packs, all tied into a single game on a new engine and with some extra story content that serves as a wraparound story for Layers of Fear 1 and 2. It's all seamless too, so it practically plays like a one continuous game.

Pretty neat and fresh idea for a remake/remaster.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
which one has better quality? The Bunker or LoF? I tried the first LoF and it was ok. I’ve never loved Amnesia. I tried Visage a while back and it was ok. I really like horror games. Maybe I’ll just wait on AC6.
I haven't played the new Amnesia yet but this is definitely a good deal if you liked the original game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
One screen from M2 Max running in 1600p + Metal FX Quality, it does not drop below 60FPS

Top Bottom