• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lead Writer Sam Maggs confirms that Rivet is canonically a lesbian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also bitches about not being acknowledged by her male colleagues.

Also claims she had to fight for Rivet to not be completely erased from the game.
So where is she sending CV's next?
This woman seems insufferable to work with.
She does, one shouldn't try to take credit publicly for decisions taken by a group of people during development.

Even if yes, she had to put her neck out sometime.

Also, didn't some guy quit because of Rivet design and went public about it?

What a bunch of furries.

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member

Bake Off Giggle GIF by PBS

wow just wow

Goalus

Heading into a Zoom call with the Finance group of a Fortune 100 company today.

Gonna scream, minimum 10 times, Lombax Tiddies.

Let's see how this goes...

Don't forget to complain about microaggressions of your boss (who in reality is just telling you what to do next).

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sexual orientation. Most important character trait one has. Changes everything about a person. Very important. Should be in your passport.

Artist: "I have this great idea to the main character. She is very stealthy but is also agile when in combat situa..."

Lead designer: "is she gay tho?"

Artist: "what, no i mea..."

Lead designer: "you're fired. But first write your ideas down so we can use it and make her gay"

Western gaming development 2022

cormack12

Gold Member
So you're sat in the office loudly saying Lombax Tiddies like a 5 year old?
Alternating between that CRYING about possibly scrapping the character all together?

Get help ffs

lmao I know. It's like chasing clout on the internet for upvotes and likes, actually makes you look like an unprofessional asshole. No one looks at that and thinks 'wow, what a well adjusted mature employee, able to handle things in a rational manner'. Who would even look at that and think 'Human Resources, we're about to head hunt this bitch, open the cheque book'.

ksdixon

lmao I know. It's like chasing clout on the internet for upvotes and likes, actually makes you look like an unprofessional asshole. No one looks at that and thinks 'wow, what a well adjusted mature employee, able to handle things in a rational manner'. Who would even look at that and think 'Human Resources, we're about to head hunt this bitch, open the cheque book'.
Naughty Dog

JLB

Banned
Maybe Im missing context, but why is important to explicit the sexuality of a character? Dont get where the designer is going here.
I mean, what is next? Give pronouns and gender idenitty for each and every chacracter of an animated movie?

Have'nt played it yet (in no rush to get a PS5) but I am a huge RnC and was pretty happy with the reveal of Rivet. Though I gotta admit I am sad to hear this. It is whatever at the end of the day, who this cartoon fox lady likes to sleep with is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme. But I genuinely thought her and Ratchet were gonna strike up a relationship! Old school style, like Minnie with Mickey or Bugs with Lola. Have some cute ass lombax babies and set up a whole new generation of lombax! I legit thought thats what they were setting up seeing as Ratchet has been the last of his race for forever and this would a be a really nice way for him to finally find and form a family.

Do they atleat make a joke around this? Like "wouldnt it be cool if you found another Lombax and could repopulate your race Ratchet?" "Yeah I did, but she's not into me :(" ?

Also when she says "today I'm choosing violence" does she mean sending a tweet? You're not making a good case for how in touch with reality you are if you consider tweeting as violence.

Valt7786

Oh this is the broad that decided a WW2 CoD game needed a full cast of diversity too and that previous entries didn't already have a cast of "iconic" characters.
Ok.

Cyberpunkd

Sexual orientation. Most important character trait one has. Changes everything about a person. Very important. Should be in your passport.
This, and I cannot understand why we are regressing as a species. This is some 19 century shit:

Man = big dick = strong
Woman = vagina = have my babies

You really cannot make the character attractive without pandering to male fantasies (let's be honest here, 95% of people getting hots for lesbians are cis men)?

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Actually they do. Have you seen it on Era? Is literally the opposite of this thread.

Actually since Maggs was called out by someone else who worked at the studio, era actually now has a better understanding that a studio is not toxic if one person doesn't get their way. So now they know a lot of the disgruntled people who left, were just that disgruntled people who didn't see eye to eye on direction of said project.

Which is a regular occurrence in software development.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
I’d just like to add as well that no matter which staff member created the name Rivet and the character design, the character belongs to Insomniac games and they and they alone can say what is canon. So as of right now Rivet enjoys slobberin’ on da’ big nob nob.

Last edited:

Armorous

If you have to go out of your way to point these things out then why the fuck does it even enter the conversation. If Rivet felt like letting itself be known as a lesbian then let it show in the story. Can't believe this person just outed Rivet like that.

HoofHearted

So, just so I understand the timeline:
  1. Sam Maggs decides to start all caps screaming on Twitter about how a guy who was summarizing a series of events doesn’t say her name a single time. She then says this means they’re ERASING her work. She then admits that it took her a year and a half to come up with the name.
  2. IGN doesn’t even bother to look into this with Insomniac and *immediately* edits the article to say she came up with the name.
  3. Usual suspects wuffles and Xavier, who have never had a consistent story, chime in with the usual “yaaaas queen.” Wuffles says they cried in Ted’s office as if this is something an employee should do.
  4. Sam says she cried for *hours* every day, and would just walk around the office screaming “Lobax Titties!” but then says “I loved it there!” because these are just things we’ll-adjusted people do.
  5. Female intern who was hired (something wuffles says never happened there because they HATE WOMEN) reminds Sam she had nothing to do with naming Rivet.
  6. Sam walks it back (but still calls the current employee an intern)
  7. Oh, and Rivet’s a lesbian which was obviously very important to the story. (imagine working on this family game and constantly having these three teammates always bringing up how fuckable Rivet is).
That about it?

Just stop and realise for a minute that companies actually have quotas now to hire batshit insane people like this and bring them onto projects. Like, anything you watch and play from the USA is going to have a certain amount of input from narcissistic, resentful woke nutjobs like this.

Reminds of the time when someone on Resetera posted a photo of From Software and it was just a bunch of japanese dudes. Imagine how perplexed they were that things are different outside of US.

daveonezero

Banned
T
Exactly what I said when she said this. How do you write the story and not know it?
That is the strategy. These talentless hacks actively disregard the lore, cannon and back story. Write their own bullshit into an established franchise. Then cry about it when it fails.

Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Halo, LoTR, Marvel, DC. and your favorite video game franchises.

Last edited:
She is walking back everything lol. And she didn't name Rivet after Gadget...she fucking suggested Gadget, got shot down and then went with Rivet which was from someone else. Somehow she'll continue to fall up though.
You just know that some major company is going to hire her as a director.

ManaByte

The inmates are running the asylum and it’s not long until the video game industry crashes again because there won’t be enough memory space for all the required pronouns in every character creator.

You just know that some major company is going to hire her as a director.
I really don't think so.

After this, the KOTOR stuff, the GTAV stuff, I'd be really surprised she gets a major gig again.

Not surprising you could maybe get KOTOR after saying you were lead on Rift Apart, but now when you look her up and rift apart you get this poison. You look up the KOTOR stuff after 9 months and you see the back and forth from star wars fans and maybe you could have written them off as toxic, but in tandem with going to war with Insomniac, I think she's hurt herself pretty badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom