• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lead Writer Sam Maggs confirms that Rivet is canonically a lesbian

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, just so I understand the timeline:
  1. Sam Maggs decides to start all caps screaming on Twitter about how a guy who was summarizing a series of events doesn’t say her name a single time. She then says this means they’re ERASING her work. She then admits that it took her a year and a half to come up with the name.
  2. IGN doesn’t even bother to look into this with Insomniac and *immediately* edits the article to say she came up with the name.
  3. Usual suspects wuffles and Xavier, who have never had a consistent story, chime in with the usual “yaaaas queen.” Wuffles says they cried in Ted’s office as if this is something an employee should do.
  4. Sam says she cried for *hours* every day, and would just walk around the office screaming “Lobax Titties!” but then says “I loved it there!” because these are just things we’ll-adjusted people do.
  5. Female intern who was hired (something wuffles says never happened there because they HATE WOMEN) reminds Sam she had nothing to do with naming Rivet.
  6. Sam walks it back (but still calls the current employee an intern)
  7. Oh, and Rivet’s a lesbian which was obviously very important to the story. (imagine working on this family game and constantly having these three teammates always bringing up how fuckable Rivet is).
That about it?
giphy.webp

Great summary, well done! 👍🏾

Corndog

Banned
Haven't play the game (Never played any Rachet games so far) why is the name Rivet such a big deal?

The fact that they keep hiring her for projects means that there is no discrimination. I mean, if person with a unique set of skills working in a very specific industry behaves this way she would probably be tagged and nobody would hire her. Still, she is still working on different projects so, in my mind, they are allowing her to fight for her causes.
Hollywood does the same thing. I checked out all the writers for the Witcher tv show. As far as I could tell they were all of the same political mindset. No diversity at all.

Ps. If this is deemed to political I can remove it.

This thread has restored my faith that some people are still sane and will not bow down to the nonsense spewed by these absolute lunatics.
Absolutely, 100%. Don't listen to the "reverse-Resetera, hurr durr" clown floating around in this thread. Most of the people commenting here are just about enjoying video games without all the radical preaching from the likes of this insane chick. A lot of people are truly getting tired of all that nonsense.

The truth is that there WERE a couple of "reverse-Resetera" types here a couple of years ago. But they were only a tiny minority, and the most of them got banned by the mods when they crossed lines. Those who survived the bans left on their own, after Evilore and the staff nuked the politics section (probably one of the best decisions in the history of this forum, to be honest).

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Whats next?

Was something going on between Dom and Marcus in Gears of War?

Varteras

Gold Member
Literally sitting on twitter stealing credit for someone else’s idea and IGN had the nerve to edit their article.

Thats games journalism yall
Well that's what happens when a vast majority of Western games media comes from California and the more liberal portions of the UK. They'll bend over backwards to be virtuous while completely lacking the self-awareness to see how there's no virtue in what they're doing. They should be raking her over the coals right now for being full of shit.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Literally sitting on twitter stealing credit for someone else’s idea and IGN had the nerve to edit their article.

Thats games journalism yall
Used to be that the downsides of working in the gaming industry were the long hours and substandard pay compared to the tech sector.

Now it’s a minefield of interpersonal drama and weaponized Twitter posts.
It is a weird thing.

Perhaps we only see this as this is a gaming forum. Who knows, maybe there's tons of industries with people just as attention whoring on twitter desperate for recognition and pats on the back for a job well done. I've never seen it working at various big companies like consumer goods, electronics, and at a bank. Never saw people yucking it up on Twitter, FB or word got out Bob or Betty said something dumb on the internet. Everyone does their job and then goes home.

And here I thought not bringing work life home and vice versa was supposed to the thing every person craves.... not having personal and work hours intertwining. But it's a new day and people (often tech and young) actually seem to love throwing both in a bowl and mixing it into a common stew, and then telling the world how great it is.

I guess every Fortune 500 company I've worked for is dead wrong when they'd tell us don't go on social media and tell the world about what happens at work and confidential information.

I should had replied to HR each time saying internal meeting recaps should be posted on Twitter.

Last edited:
So, just so I understand the timeline:
  1. Sam Maggs decides to start all caps screaming on Twitter about how a guy who was summarizing a series of events doesn’t say her name a single time. She then says this means they’re ERASING her work. She then admits that it took her a year and a half to come up with the name.
  2. IGN doesn’t even bother to look into this with Insomniac and *immediately* edits the article to say she came up with the name.
  3. Usual suspects wuffles and Xavier, who have never had a consistent story, chime in with the usual “yaaaas queen.” Wuffles says they cried in Ted’s office as if this is something an employee should do.
  4. Sam says she cried for *hours* every day, and would just walk around the office screaming “Lobax Titties!” but then says “I loved it there!” because these are just things we’ll-adjusted people do.
  5. Female intern who was hired (something wuffles says never happened there because they HATE WOMEN) reminds Sam she had nothing to do with naming Rivet.
  6. Sam walks it back (but still calls the current employee an intern)
  7. Oh, and Rivet’s a lesbian which was obviously very important to the story. (imagine working on this family game and constantly having these three teammates always bringing up how fuckable Rivet is).
That about it?

Man, when simplified like that, it sounds so ridiculous. I have no idea why anyone outside the small bubble this is directly affecting would care about this.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Theory : they let this woman think that "canonically" was a lesbian because it didn't matter at all in the game and there was a slim chance it would reduce the amount of time they were forced to listen to her talking about it.

"Sure Sam... why don't you take the week and write about what type of woman she's into in your cubicle..."

Neff

Writing a gay character was bold and brave in the '70s, and became less bold and brave with each subsequent decade, to the point where it's completely meaningless in the current political climate no matter what Twitter tells you.

Doing it now just looks like you're trying to earn points from your social media pals, especially if you boast about it and play the convenient victim while you're at it.

PhaseJump

Banned
Steam's got a Simfest game sale happening. It's too bad there's no "Rampant Hubris Simulator" there, so we could better understand gaming journalists and twitter people, or peek at the achievement list for some plot spoilers.

"Achievement Unlocked: Blue Yourself - Publicly performed autofellatio after equipping blue hair dye."

Salz01

Sam seems like they have some mental issues to deal with by a medical professional. Probably should look into that before they go on twitter.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Doing it now just looks like you're trying to earn points from your social media pals, especially if you boast about it and play the convenient victim while you're at it.
That's human nature for ya.

A lot of people care about being popular and showing the world they are the greatest person in the world. You'd think all the millionaires, firemen and medical workers who are a combo of super successful careers and saving people's lives would be the ones gloating on Twitter and Instagram they are such awesome people. So everyone should read their tweets and follow their social media accounts as a big sign of respect.

They dont seem to care.

But the ones yearning for brownie pts typically come from two sets of people on social media:

1. Celebs keeping in the spotlight for career relevancy and making money off every tweet they do

2. The 30 year old, who is on the fringe with anger, political, and looking for sub count. I dont think they even care about sub count for trying to make money off clicks, but the higher the count from random people the more relevant they feel in life, even though out of their 1000 sub count they probably only know 20 people in real life

Last edited:

TransTrender

Gold Member
Actually is a Bunny Rabbit?
Looks like a Lombax to me, but that's not my fetish.

What about Ratchet? does he has feelings for clank?
I was really hoping for some sort of emotional climax between those two at the end of Crack in Time but that never happened. Skipped 'Into the Nexus' but I guess the trend of 'shitty unsatisfying narrative' was still carried forward.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Man, when simplified like that, it sounds so ridiculous. I have no idea why anyone outside the small bubble this is directly affecting would care about this.
But it's a common thing!!!!!

If you search google, look for the endless closed doors meetings where employees all backstab each other taking credit for each other's work.

1. A guy at Nabisco felt depressed for 20 years because someone took credit for the name Oreo Double Stuf. But it turned out the janitor came up with it

2. A woman at a bank claimed it took her 24 months to come up their bank's new "Every Day Bonus Savings Account" name that gives customers an extra 0.1% per year. Turns out the product manager asked the team what they should call their new every day savings account that has a bonus, and they just went with that.

3. A lesbian claimed she cried at her desk for months claiming the BMW X series stands for lesbianism she proposed. She initially proposed BMW T series, but got shot down as the VP said let's rotate the T to look like an X. So it's still her initial idea. A marketing manager disagreed saying the X stands for X-Men.

BigBooper

Is it canon if it wasn't included in any publicly available media? Is that how that works?

I'm not saying Rivet is or isn't, but can one writer of a "team effort" where the whole team is supposed to be acknowledged have the final say on something after the fact?

Is it canon if it wasn't included in any publicly available media? Is that how that works?

I'm not saying Rivet is or isn't, but can one writer of a "team effort" where the whole team is supposed to be acknowledged have the final say on something after the fact?
no and shes full of shit. Thats the theme of this thread

Hmmm...so basically she's a liar and a hypocrite. Lock it up mods

And the idiots on era are still feigning outrage over it lol

Whats also funny is Gadget is feminine appearing, which is why shes talking about having a crush on her. Yet they didn’t want Rivet appearing “feminine”?

It all makes no sense to me

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Whats also funny is Gadget is feminine appearing, which is why shes talking about having a crush on her. Yet they didn’t want Rivet appearing “feminine”?

It all makes no sense to me
She's openly bi. She has a small wiki page (made longer with a big list of works) and is married to a man. I guess she likes girly girls, but writes about manly girls? I dont know.

Or maybe she's just a liberal hypocrite who says one thing (cant make females too girly), but in reality loves cute females with long hair.

Originally when I googled her I thought she was trans, as she looks like a guy in make up. But I think she is born female.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom