• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

League of Legends and Valorant maker Riot Games has reportedly made layoffs across several departments.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Fm1fcf7WQAgCsuH

League of Legends and Valorant maker Riot Games has reportedly undergone a round of layoffs.

According to award-winning esports reporter Jacob Wolf, Riot announced staff cuts across several departments on Wednesday. While the layoffs have yet to be officially confirmed, the former ESPN and Dot Esports journalist, who now runs Substack subscription newsletter The Jacob Wolf Report, said he’d been informed of the cuts at Riot by multiple sources. “Size and scope are unclear at the moment, so far I’ve heard of effects across recruiting & human resources, support and esports,” he tweeted. “Will do more reporting in the morning for the newsletter.”

Wolf added: “Riot’s historically not made many reductions in force in the past, but it’s in line with a broader trend in tech, gaming and entertainment as economic hardship begins to affect many corporations.”

VGC has contacted Riot Games for comment and will update this report if we hear back from the company.

sources

pramod

Banned
Good, hope it sends them a message that LoL has become a pile of shit. Will they ever fix solo queue?

Puscifer

Incoming Massive layoff across the world.

The economy is in turmoil these days.
Yeeeeeeep. I wanna leave my comfy IT gig with the feds but man, I'd be stupid too honestly since this is contracted and paid for 5 year's, yet I want to make more money than I do now. I've turned down several offers that have pay increases from 20K-35K but I'm scared to leave.

tkscz

A lot of tech companies are doing massive layoffs right now and had been at the latter half of last year. They made a killing during COVID and the quarantine but now that their services are seeing less use, especially with how bad are economy is right now, layoffs were abound. There are TONS of layoffs happening in silicon valley, doesn't surprise me that it spread to gaming.

BabyYoda

Banned
Whatever happened to that League of Legends MMO?
It's still actively being worked on, I'm not into Riot games, but a Riot MMO gets me a tad excited. Not many have what it takes to make an MMO to rival WOW at it's peak, maybe they have what it takes, we'll see!

It's still actively being worked on, I'm not into Riot games, but a Riot MMO gets me a tad excited. Not many have what it takes to make an MMO to rival WOW at it's peak, maybe they have what it takes, we'll see!
I heard League of Legends is extremely popular. So I imagine if this MMO is good it might dethrone even World of Warcraft.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
A lot of tech companies are doing massive layoffs right now and had been at the latter half of last year. They made a killing during COVID and the quarantine but now that their services are seeing less use, especially with how bad are economy is right now, layoffs were abound. There are TONS of layoffs happening in silicon valley, doesn't surprise me that it spread to gaming.
It made no sense for any company to go ape shit hiring FT people during covid as that entire debacle of people staying at home wasnt going to be a forever thing. At some point things would be back to normal.

It's like Peloton ramping up headcount and inventory like crazy as if the trend of $3000 home fitness sets would be a forever. The second people got back out and gyms reopened, well look at that. Demand for home exercise equipment dropped like a rock and they slashed like half their workforce. It got so bad they even said they stopped making them since inventory was so high their factories took a breather.

Last edited:

feynoob

Banned
Yeeeeeeep. I wanna leave my comfy IT gig with the feds but man, I'd be stupid too honestly since this is contracted and paid for 5 year's, yet I want to make more money than I do now. I've turned down several offers that have pay increases from 20K-35K but I'm scared to leave.
Same here. I want to leave my job, but I am afraid of getting lay off from new job, and losing my paycheck during these periods.

Top Bottom