• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaker Nash Weedle has confirmation from a developer about a Switch 2 dev kit update

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

DLSS 3.5 perhaps? 🤔

hype train GIF

Last edited:
Considering the poor AF base res, the Switch will be upscaling from and the insane cost of Nvidia upscaling without adequate Tensor core count, I will remain skeptical about DLSS on Switch 2 until more architectural details emerge.

FireFly

No, false, incorrect. FSR is an AMD technology that nVidia would never use. nVidia also has the superior method in accomplishing this task. I understand that it can run on nVidia tech, but it won't happen.
I'm not talking about Nvidia but individual developers. FSR 1.0 is already used on the Switch, so I don't see what's stopping them using a later version. And if the Switch 2 GPU is using Ampere, then there won't be an equivalent Nvidia solution.

Woopah

Hopefully Nintendo asking for Switch 2 footage means the reveal isn't too far away.

Considering the poor AF base res, the Switch will be upscaling from and the insane cost of Nvidia upscaling without adequate Tensor core count, I will remain skeptical about DLSS on Switch 2 until more architectural details emerge.
The leaked SoC from the Nvidia hack showed that what Nvidia was building for Nintendo did include tensor cores.
No, false, incorrect. FSR is an AMD technology that nVidia would never use. nVidia also has the superior method in accomplishing this task. I understand that it can run on nVidia tech, but it won't happen.
Developers could choose to use it, like how FSR is in No Man's Sky on Switch.

Hopefully Nintendo asking for Switch 2 footage means the reveal isn't too far away.

The leaked SoC from the Nvidia hack showed that what Nvidia was building for Nintendo did include tensor cores.

I do not doubt that it includes tensor cores. However, I doubt that they will be in adequately high quantity or running at fast enough frequencies to scale the low AF resolutions that most modern games are running on the XSS. I am being way too generous here equating the switch 2's rasterization capabilities to the XSS.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
If this is to be believed, it's nothing but positive news. I genuinely think that third parties have successfully lobbied Nintendo to invest/include tech that will give us decent looking and performing
current gen titles/ports.

Having a Switch 2 that is not only backwards compatible to the OG Switch but can produce PS4 Pro level visuals/performance(rumored) to capture current gen offerings will be a killer system!

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Really looking forward to this thing. Every little rumor that seems reliable feels like one step closer to the reveal. I hope it can match a PS4 Pro in visuals and potentially a bit beyond.

IAmRei

That’s not true. For example, one step further beyond Super Saiyan 2…is Super Saiyan 3.

super-saiyan3-goku.gif
And if IIRC, the power meter appx from 30.000.000 in super saiyan 1, and 300.000.000 in super saiyan 3(?) Its a lot of upgrade btw.

Hopefully for switch 2, its also applied liek you said. I can only wish, btw

Woopah

I do not doubt that it includes tensor cores. However, I doubt that they will be in adequately high quantity or running at fast enough frequencies to scale the low AF resolutions that most modern games are running on the XSS. I am being way too generous here equating the switch 2's rasterization capabilities to the XSS.
That's a fair point, I guess it's something studios will have to take into account when down porting to Switch 2.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We already know what this thing will do. It's just the uneducated Nintendo fans that will scream from the rooftops at tech we've had for years. Welcome to the modern age, somewhat.

tmlDan

with how many games releasing on PC and PS5/seriesX it feels like i dont need a switch 2 at all. It better have a strong launch lineup or else i have no interest despite begging for a new one for years lol

Soodanim

Gold Member
SSJ3 fits so damn well that I don't know if it's actually what the leaker was referencing or if people just made it fit and gave it more meaning than it actually has.

Either way, thanks Toriyama.

Last edited:
I want the device to be just a box with all the guts. Battery, Processor, and ports that you snap into other things.
Want to play handheld? Snap on a small Display and controllers.
Want to play VR, Snap it into a headset.
Want to play on your big screen TV? Snap it into a dock.

Nintendo Snap

Since we know it will use an NVidia chip, how catastrophic would it be for Sony if Nintendo's new console could run things like Cyberpunck 2077 with full ray tracing at 1080P/60fps in handheld mode while in docked mode it uses Dlss 3.5 for scaling at 4K/60 fps.

Let's also assume that the console is worth $500.

tkscz

This is Nintendo. They probably upgraded from DLSS 1.0 to DLSS 1.9
That wouldn't make sense considering that's not how the hardware works. If it's for sure using Ampere, at base it would be using DLSS 2.0. you can't force it to go lower because "it's Nintendo". Even then, Ampere supports DLSS 3.5 just without the frame generation but I can't see that working very well on battery.

For an Ampere chip to only be running DLSS 1.0, Nintendo would have to force Nvidia to create a very specific version of Ampere that's actually Turing (RTX 2000) that never even received a Tegra version. Which would cost more money than just waiting on Tegra Thor, which would use lovelace.

MarkMe2525

I just have this sneaky suspicion that we are going to disappointed when this spec sheet hits. It's a Nintendo handheld. It will launch at $299 with an LCD, it will run modern games like ass (respective to its competition), and it won't matter because of Zelda, Mario, and Animal Crossing.

Woopah

Guys, they are just asking for footage for the reveal. Where do you see them implying any upgrade?
Its two separate rumours. One is about them asking for footage.

The other is about an update to the dev kit that allows developers to go "one step further ".
Since we know it will use an NVidia chip, how catastrophic would it be for Sony if Nintendo's new console could run things like Cyberpunck 2077 with full ray tracing at 1080P/60fps in handheld mode while in docked mode it uses Dlss 3.5 for scaling at 4K/60 fps.

Let's also assume that the console is worth $500.
It would make Nintendo a stronger competitor, but it wouldn't be catastrophic for Sony.

Its two separate rumours. One is about them asking for footage.

The other is about an update to the dev kit that allows developers to go "one step further ".

It would make Nintendo a stronger competitor, but it wouldn't be catastrophic for Sony.
Being able to play games with the same graphic quality as PS5, with better Raytracing at a quality of 1080p/60 and on a portable console seems like a very attractive and very strong combination to me. If in docked mode you have Dlss 3.5 then you might even have better image quality than the PS5 in the same game. Maybe I'm exaggerating but they are using an Nvidia chip so it has a lot of advantage in ML and RT

Kataploom

Gold Member
I don't get why so many people misunderstand Nintendo so much like if they hate cutting edge tech or whatever lol, is just a better off price vs convenience. As most of their audience don't give a shit about dick measure contests, adding high specs to their systems is expensive and brings basically zero benefits compared to "just good enough" hardware that allows them good selling price.

If they found a way to develop a system with a 4090 level GPU at a decent prince they'll use it. Also Nintendo is all in for out of the box solutions that are beyond the dumb brute forcing others do, dlss is the most Nintendo like solution to get closer to competition in rendering quality as possible, so I completely believe it.

We already know what this thing will do. It's just the uneducated Nintendo fans that will scream from the rooftops at tech we've had for years. Welcome to the modern age, somewhat.
Lol many Nintendo fans are also PC gamers, like myself, it's not like we're strangers to high tech. PS and Xbox crew probably are, tho, if they only own consoles.

Lethal01

Nintendo uses nvidia for switch. So DLSS is what it would be using.
I'm not talking about Nvidia but individual developers. FSR 1.0 is already used on the Switch, so I don't see what's stopping them using a later version. And if the Switch 2 GPU is using Ampere, then there won't be an equivalent Nvidia solution.

Are we forgetting that Nintendo's biggest game, Tears of the kingdom is already using FSR. Nintendo will use whatever they can.

Top Bottom