• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaker Gives Update on Final Fantasy 9 and 10 Remakes

yurinka

I don't see why they would want to remake FF9 now.

I'd remake FF8 because 8 sold more than 9. And after the number 7 comes the 8.

If not, instead of FF9 I'd remake FF6, which almost everybody says it's the best one even if almost nobody played it.

Last edited:

Valonquar

Harrison Ford Late Night With Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

Doomtrain

IX has wonderful, charming writing and characters. It runs poorly and has crazy load times, so I could see an argument for improving the core tech, but I wouldn’t want it changed too much otherwise.

Hudo

Really?
Final Fantasy IV, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Final Fantasy XII & Final Fantasy VII Remake Trilogy (so far) are all better then IX.... so how can it be 3rd best ever made?
It belongs in that list amongst the best but it's not 3rd by a long shot.

@Freeman76
IX will be a low effort Graphics facelift nothing more.
X will probably get more attention.
Weird. The three best FF games of all time are
FF6 > FF12: Zodiac Age > FF9.

Weird that you think these others are better. Oh well.

Last edited:

IAmRei

9 was a boring slog. An over reaction to the extreme chances 7 and 8 took, 9 was mind-numbingly safe and uninteresting. Absolutely nothing unique or special about it. As generic as they come. So obviously, gamers love that one.
Planet eats planet is almost never told in video games iirc. Souls as fuel and fueling magic wars is also told better in 9. And the story is flowing naturally, not like 8. Also final boss is quite hard for first time. The graphic and animation were the best at time. Combat is also interesting. Maybe its not pique your interest, there are lot of people considers 9 is the best without some reason. Even without nostalgia. Its mature story. Even the storyteller is the most interesting in all ff.

Go_Ly_Dow

lol, I thought the guy has an okay track record at the very least?
9 Remake rumours have come from multiple angles, first one was the Nvidia leak, then Jeff Grubb also this Hero guy. Also couple all of that with a lot of 9 tie ins in recent times into other FF games. There was also an FF9 French cartoon being made, although not sure if that's still a thing.

10 is so far just this one source I think, but makes sense as the next big budget Remake for a few reasons. I wouldn't expect it for 4-6 years from now if it is real...

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Weird. The three best FF games of all time are
FF6 > FF12: Zodiac Age > FF9.

Weird that you think these others are better. Oh well.
I like those games, just like I like Resident Evil 3
But it ain't got nothing on RE1/2

Dazraell

lol, I thought the guy has an okay track record at the very least?
FF9 Remake was also on Nvidia leak and that one listed games that later were confirmed to be an actual thing. So it's fair to assume that this one might be true regardless of leaker's reputation

boris90

Neo Member

It's amazing to hear about potential remakes for Final Fantasy 9 and 10! I grew up playing Final Fantasy IX, so the idea of experiencing it in a new way is incredibly exciting. I haven't had the chance to play other Final Fantasy games, so this would be a great opportunity to dive deeper into the series.

Regarding the question about skipping Final Fantasy VIII, I think it's a valid concern. Final Fantasy VIII was indeed a highly influential game, and many fans have fond memories of it. Perhaps Square Enix has plans for it in the future, or they might be prioritizing other projects based on various factors. It would be interesting to hear more about their decision-making process regarding these remakes.

I'm looking forward to any updates and official announcements from Square Enix regarding these remakes. It's always exciting to see beloved games getting a modern makeover while retaining the essence that made them special in the first place.

Go_Ly_Dow

7 and 10 are my fav game world's ever. Compelling and artistically beautiful.

I was blown away seeing how detailed they've remade every location from 7 in Rebirth and I think the only thing that can top that is seeing Spira recreated.

That and playing some kind of ridiculous version of Blitzball on PS6.

Overall I think 10 is the best candidate for another 7 style high budget remake. The games scope is about the length of an FF16 or Rebirth so it can be done in one game and the popularity of 10 sits up there with 7.

If they used the UE4 they've created for Rebirth they could probably make it quite quickly, or they could make it their first UE5 game for FF.

sigmaZ

9 was a boring slog. An over reaction to the extreme chances 7 and 8 took, 9 was mind-numbingly safe and uninteresting. Absolutely nothing unique or special about it. As generic as they come. So obviously, gamers love that one.
This is the absolute truth. I played through the game twice. Once on release and once on PC and god does it feel so plain and generic. Even the music. If it weren't for VIII's horrible dialogue and gameplay, 9 would probably be my least favorite FF.
That said, I think a modern remake could make it a much better experience since the slowness of the PS held the OG back a lot.

Last edited:
Regarding the question about skipping Final Fantasy VIII, I think it's a valid concern. Final Fantasy VIII was indeed a highly influential game, and many fans have fond memories of it. Perhaps Square Enix has plans for it in the future, or they might be prioritizing other projects based on various factors. It would be interesting to hear more about their decision-making process regarding these remakes.
In my personal opinion, I always felt that cult classic titles that have either aged badly or didn’t manage to reach their full potential, should be given a remake as a second chance of doing things the right way.

FF8 matches this perfectly. It has a lot of cool concepts and interesting ideas that were just…okay in execution. It could have done for a second try.

However from saying that, I still would not put the premier AAA teams of today on this project. I would mainly enlist the help of the old director and then have a team specifically for remakes to tackle it with that director.

Right now one(or two) of Square’s biggest teams are working on FF7 remake and it just feels like almost everything else big budget has been tossed aside for it.

It’s a scary eggs-in-one-basket situation that makes me think of those recent years when Sega only had versions of Persona 5 and the Yakuza franchise as their sole AAA releases.

Lambogenie

I hope they sort out their localisation in the process. VII remake is annoying when characters are saying a much simple thing but localiser adds bunch of bullshit.

sigmaZ

I hope they sort out their localisation in the process. VII remake is annoying when characters are saying a much simple thing but localiser adds bunch of bullshit.
I've been completely avoiding dubs and subs lately. Just how bad is it? I remember seeing the trailer and it was pretty bad. The Japanese is really good when the main characters are chatting with each other and through most of the key story, however there's a few odd tone shifts at times with NPCs now and again, though not as bad as Remake.

Lambogenie

I've been completely avoiding dubs and subs lately. Just how bad is it? I remember seeing the trailer and it was pretty bad. The Japanese is really good when the main characters are chatting with each other and through most of the key story, however there's a few odd tone shifts at times with NPCs now and again, though not as bad as Remake.
I'm a massive week with basic Japanese. So it's bad.

But seriously, I find it distracting. Extreme cases are screams replaced by an entire line of nothing. The fucking original scream was enough! The line didn't add anything good.

Paltheos

I'm in the '9 isn't my jam, but I can see why people like it' camp. I didn't care for the general aesthetic and goofiness of the game, but I can see other people liking that sort of thing.

My favorite games in the series tend to be boundary pushing (6,7), immensely creative (10), with fun gameplay design (5), or with well-told stories (Tactics, 12) (Note: Those tags aren't mutually exclusive - just more prominent elements of each). 9... isn't really any of those.

I might be underselling it though. 9's practically infamous for how slowly the engine runs it. Maybe a remaster that makes it not run like molasses will give it a much needed booster shot, but I'm still kind of skeptical. Xenogears also runs really slowly, and I've never minded its technical issues the many times I've played it.

Valt7786

If they are remaking it for the love of god speed up the combat if they keep it turn based. Tried to go back to it on my switch and fuck me it's painfully slow (yeah there's the speed up boost thing but that just makes it too fast to be enjoyed).
And as for the overworld going down to what, 10fps, on a modern remaster? Bit of a joke.

Give me my 8 remake anyway, I need to see that Garden War in glorious 4k.

Zheph

I think a remake (VII style) would work great on X and Spira but VIII would be my favourite for the treatment, insanity... Just Balamb Garden would be incredible

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I'm in the '9 isn't my jam, but I can see why people like it' camp. I didn't care for the general aesthetic and goofiness of the game, but I can see other people liking that sort of thing.

My favorite games in the series tend to be boundary pushing (6,7), immensely creative (10), with fun gameplay design (5), or with well-told stories (Tactics, 12) (Note: Those tags aren't mutually exclusive - just more prominent elements of each). 9... isn't really any of those.

I might be underselling it though. 9's practically infamous for how slowly the engine runs it. Maybe a remaster that makes it not run like molasses will give it a much needed booster shot, but I'm still kind of skeptical. Xenogears also runs really slowly, and I've never minded its technical issues the many times I've played it.
That’s what I’m hoping for. Those 5 fps battles and quicksand speed load screens need to be updated lol.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What a ton of bullshit in one message.

Nope, he speaks the truth. If you don't have an affinity for the early FF's its a crushing disappointment after the creative growth of 7 and 8.

Starts off really well but tails off hard after the first disk. Combat system is slow and painfully dull, it has the lamest mega-boss in the franchise even if the gimmick to finding it is pretty neat, and the story is just bland and inoffensive nonsense.

Quite why its as well regarded as it is (particularly in the West) has to be down to nostalgia, because although its technically and artistically very well put together, as a game in itself its just uninteresting.

Metnut

FF might not be as big as the 1990s, but it appears they have around at least 3 million people willing to pay $70+ each time they put something new out.

Follow the blueprint of Rebirth and find ways to keep cranking out the content at reasonable costs for a cool $200M opening week gross each time.

Muffdraul

Hell yeah, remake more classic FFs, bring 'em on I say. Because after XIII, XV, and XVI, yeah I'm not really too interested in new FF anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom