• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leaving for Japan on Monday -- good game shops?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My schedule has been crazy as of late, but it looks as if I'm heading over to Japan this Monday.

There are a few gaming related items I'd like to look for, but I am uncertain as to which retail stores I should keep an eye out for. I'll be meeting with customers during the day, but I'll have plenty of time in the evening. This is just a short trip. When I actually make the move over there, I'll be living in Tokyo now, it seems. This trip, however, will have me starting out in Osaka, going to Hiroshima (to meet with some Mazda folks), heading to Nagoya after that, and from there a couple other places (which I won't know until tomorrow).

Any recommended shops that might be somewhat easy to find in those areas?

Troidal

Evening huh...well make sure you have enough time cuz stores dont stay open too late (7,8 pm for most-9pm for very few). If you are heading to Osaka, definitely head off to Den-den Town in Ebisucho station. There are a lot of game stores, and if your into retro games, Super Potato is a real awesome place for that. Otherwise, you can go to any big electronic/toy store to pick up the latest games for the most part.

DCharlie

Banned
Superpotato is awesome and definitely shouldn't be missed.

you should also try and eat some Okonomiyaki in Osaka as it KICKS ASS.

Hiroshima is a funky place too - beyond the peace museum, the area is lively and has a nice vibe to it.

Have fun!

Acosta

Superpotato of course.

I have just been in the Akihabara one, it's a little hard to find, look up because the cartel it's in the first floor, you have to go through a chairs and it's a little hidden, but you will arrive.

Akihabara have a lot of incredible shops. But the real experts will tell you that you have to go to Osaka or some shops that are out of Akihabara. Wait until DCharlie, John TV or someone of the japanese group to come.

Aaah, Japan, I'm counting the days to come back :_(

Have a nice travel!

DCharlie

Banned
Ah, cheers Tetsuoxb!

that's the store i was thinking of

" Retro TV Gamer is absolutely mindblowing"

an absolute MUST. It's like a museum!

Christ, they even had a ZX Spectrum running last time i was there... granted that's nigh on 3 years ago...

hmm.. strong urge to go to Osaka.....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Awesome, sounds like Osaka has plenty of possibilities. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Oh, and I might consider grabbing a PSP 1.0 if I see one. What are the chances of finding them, though? The demand has increased quite a bit, obviously, but I wouldn't mind running into a decently priced one...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
dcharlie, did you take us to super potato in aki?

the one retro store with the music blaring out of the 4th floor window was also quite cool... down one of the back streets off of the main street that has Club Sega on it.

Hyoushi

borghe said:
the one retro store with the music blaring out of the 4th floor window was also quite cool... down one of the back streets off of the main street that has Club Sega on it.
That would be Superpotato yes. But it's not on the 4:th floor :D

DCharlie

Banned
"the one retro store with the music blaring out of the 4th floor window was also quite cool... down one of the back streets off of the main street that has Club Sega on it."

hey borghe, yeah - that was super potato :)
2nd floor though :)

Troidal

dark10x said:
Awesome, sounds like Osaka has plenty of possibilities. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Oh, and I might consider grabbing a PSP 1.0 if I see one. What are the chances of finding them, though? The demand has increased quite a bit, obviously, but I wouldn't mind running into a decently priced one...

If your talking used ones, chances are pretty good especially in Osaka. Brand new might be a bit more challenging.

Top Bottom