• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom Announced | Nintendo Direct

PeteBull

Most people do but I also equally getting sick of people calling EVERY little thing “woke”…it getting ridiculous and downright stupid.
We all know what is woke and what isnt, back in the 90s we had Lara Croft, amazing strong, independend, and inteligent female protagonist, who could take care of business, but game was as far from woke as humanly possible, nowadays its mostly western dev studios/big pubs who push it, smaller/indie devs or asian devs luckily dont have to, at least for now, its last bastion of sanity :)

Schmendrick

If someone had told me 18 years ago while I was playing Twilight Princess that we`d get a Zelda game looking like...this in 2024-2025 I´d just have shook my head.
And people seem to like it?

Boy am I out of touch, geez......

tkscz

Can someone tell me whats going on with all this DEI, woke, girlboss talk going on in here?

It's a Zelda game where you play as Zelda. There was no "you go girl" talk in it. It was all in earnest.

Guys we got to be able to tell the difference between DEI force woke stuff and just earnestly having this kind of content.

Moses85

Desus And Mero Pass GIF by Bernie Sanders

Griffon

It makes sense that she would need to be somewhat incognito to get around without harassment if she's the Princess of the Kingdom or whatnot. Though Link was wearing the same thing so I assume it's more of a stylistic choice than a logical one.

It doesn't matter what paper thin plot device justifies it.

Given the current climate. It is in bad taste.

Last edited:

Majukun

I hope you still get to hit stuff with something - i really like chopping grass and stuff for rupees, plus it just feels theraputic to do it. If I have to "summon" a thing each time do it then I might be stern.
pretty much certain you will NOT get a proper weapon

What a relief to have a good Zelda game again. It's not the romance of the three kingdoms/Tenchu hybrid I wanted for Zelda's solo debut but it looks great anyway.
This actually sounds insane and totally makes sense.

Hopefully some other dev does something with this. Loving Princess during the day and assassin during the night sounds like an epic game with a cool story and a neat female protagonist without being woke.

Can someone tell me whats going on with all this DEI, woke, girlboss talk going on in here?

It's a Zelda game where you play as Zelda. There was no "you go girl" talk in it. It was all in earnest.

Guys we got to be able to tell the difference between DEI force woke stuff and just earnestly having this kind of content.
Agreed. Caveman takes isn't going to win the culture war.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
rqVZOJ8.png

Hey at least the heart containers are back, that's nice.

Arlo hard guessed a top down Zelda game as the Switch swan song:

He self admits to be bad at guessing Nintendo, so it's nice to see him get a win.

I think Twilight Princess needs a remake, hopefully that's why they aren't releasing it.

They don’t even need a TP remake as it already has one on the WiiU. They could just release the games exactly as is and people would still buy them.

Majukun

I thought this looked a bit shit tbh.
it's a game that will live or die depending on if they nail the design part.

free form gameplay sounds fantastic, until you realize that the human brain works in economy, it's what makes it great.
So the huge majority of players will just find what works for a precise situation and stick to that, ignoring the most fantastical or creative solutions

look at totk, tons of possible vehicles to create, and then everyone sticks to the 3 piece airbike because it's the most optimal solution

if they make objects distinct enough and the situation that you encounter different enough, then the game will prosper, otherwise it will translate in a very flat experience

If someone had told me 18 years ago while I was playing Twilight Princess that we`d get a Zelda game looking like...this in 2024-2025 I´d just have shook my head.

Why wouldn't people be looking forward to it? Some of the 2D Zeldas are among the best games ever made.

tkscz

Zelda having to practically be wearing a hijab so that she can go out.

Not in great taste.
That is not a hijab, that is just a hood so no one can tell she's princess Zelda. This is fantasy 101, the princess hides in plane sight. It's on the cover of old fantasy novels for crying out loud. I really hope you're kidding here.

It's reminiscent of the old a Link to the Past/Link's Awaken style but a little toy-etic. If it's not your style that's fine but it works for the game it is. This reminds me of the Wind Waker back when it was revealed.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Just ignore these people. It's gross overcorrection on both sides, and it's annoying as absolute fuck. I swear to god, some of these people are probably pissed that Metroid Prime 4 features a "strong female protagonist", and the other side is like "finally, a strong woman lead in an FPS!"

Keep your stupid politics out of my video game discussions.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The game is visually pretty ugly, and I'm not really blown away by this trailer showing tables.

It's a day 1 for me just solely based on the series pedigree and the quality we know will be there. Kind of an underwhelming trailer though honestly, but I'm intrigued by how different it is.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Some on Resetera very upset that Zelda doesn’t have a sword and appears to spend a lot of time rearranging furniture rather than fighting directly herself.

I had the exact opposite reaction; I was pleasantly surprised that Zelda isn't made into a fighter, which would ruin her character.

Can see how the conjuring gameplay won't land with everyone but it's neat that they took the "wisdom" part of her character and made her practically a mage.

Exactly; the trailer made it clear that she is the one aligned with the Wisdom part of the Triforce. It makes sense; in D&D terms, she's a completely different class of character; her high wisdom defines her, and she shares nothing in common with the battling adventurer of Link who has high "courage" and associated attributes.

I don't mind at all when they create a female protagonist game if they do it intelligently like this, and actually make the game different since the character is different.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game looks great. It's a day 1. Zelda fans have wanted a Zelda game where you play as Zelda for years.

The Tri-Rod and it's use in Puzzles reminds me of the Psynergy Puzzles in Golden Sun. Very hyped for this.

Zelda has primarily always been a Mage so this is a good fit.

Last edited:

Quantum253

That's an interesting concept. Using BoTW type mechanics to solve puzzles. I don't about the combat part since a sword/shield seem to be removed, but it could be interesting. However, ive never thought of Zelda as a witch. I thinking it will be between her and Link moving on their realms to stop the rifts

rubenburgt

Gameplay looks kinda fun, but i would love to see more gameplay first. I'm not hooked yet.

About the graphics, yeah that sucks. It looks like link's awakening remake and I'm not huge fan of that style. I rather see the style from 3ds Zelda games.

peish

Gold Member
The reactions on Era are as embarrassing as expected

Had to douchechill the fuck outta there quick

Are they pissed at this game for not being a "traditional" 3D LOZ? Where is my manjaws-zelda with master sword?

I like the cutesy style, overhead puzzle solving of ALTTP

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just rewatched the trailer - missed the September release date. Day one.

That Switch Lite is bloody gorgeous. Might sell my Oled for it, with the Switch 2 around the corner it might be a worthy trade.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I was surprised. And I liked that fact that they came up with a different style of gameplay for her. In theory Link could also do this, so I wonder if there's more to it. Zelda does have magic, and I'm sure the staff will do more. It won't be the first time Nintendo revealed 1 mechanic and later on more.

Oh yeah, I may be getting that Switch Lite because it's so pretty.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wonder if this will get a Switch 2 version. Or if the Switch 2 will at least run it. I guess we're assuming BC, but we don't actually know yet. Because I do want to play this, but I also want to sell my Switch while I can still get some money for it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I still think of this as the dumb Marvel way of thinking.

"to be empowered, every character has to mow down enemies somehow.. what's your particular flavor or style of mowing them down?" yawn

Being on the battlefield against hordes or powerful foes at all is nonsense for her character.
she is a good character and I would be interested in her spin off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom