• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Star Wars - The Skywalker Saga | Review Mega Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
GAME INFORMATION

41c37606-aad6-492f-8b68-db3ebfece826.jpg

Genre: Adventure, Kids, Exploration

Platforms:
  • PC (Apr 5, 2022)
  • Xbox One (Apr 5, 2022)
  • PlayStation 4 (Apr 5, 2022)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Apr 5, 2022)
  • PlayStation 5 (Apr 5, 2022)
Media:
Developer: Traveller's Tales
Publisher: Warner Bros Interactive
Price: $59.99 USD / £49.99 GBP / 59,99€ EUR / $79.99 CAD
Release Date: February 25, , 2022
More Info: | Wikipedia Page

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reviews Scores

Metacritic: 86/100

aOrvUrr.jpg

Opencritic: 84/100 - 94% Recommended

gVyCo19.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Critic Reviews:

Attack of the Fanboy - Diego Perez - 4.5 / 5
Don't let the LEGO license fool you. This is the Star Wars game we've all been waiting for.

Bazimag - Sina Golabzade - Persian - 8.5 / 10
Almost everyone knows about Star Wars and LEGO toys and about as much people are in love with them so putting these two brands together seventeen years ago was one of the best strokes of genius in the history of video games. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is the biggest and the most ambitious LEGO game so far and the final product is without a doubt one of the best , if not the best, LEGO games too.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 7.5 / 10
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga doesn’t reinvent the wheel and the subject matter is limited because the narrative mostly adheres to the film trilogies (when can we get a Rebels LEGO game?), but it’s a fun way to relive them as an adult and show them to kids at the same time.

Game Informer - Andrew Reiner - 8 / 10
Despite being periodically uneventful, the Skywalker Saga is a thorough and fun examination of all three Star Wars movie trilogies. It delivers the same sensation of being overwhelmed as opening a Blu-Ray collection of films and not knowing which one you should start with.

GameGrin - Samiee "Gutterpunk" Tee - 7 / 10
Traveller's Tales return to the LEGO fray is a double-edged sword of good intentions, and the over-complication of its famous brand of gameplay. At its best, The Skywalker Saga sees itself touching greatness it hasn't seen since the seventh generation of gaming.

GameSpew - Kim Snaith - 8 / 10
Ultimately, whether you’re a Star Wars fan or a LEGO fan – or even better, both – you’re going to find a lot to love here.

GamingTrend - Adam Moreno - 95 / 100
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga takes LEGO games to a new level; changing the way we'll see LEGO games moving forward. With 300+ characters to unlock, 1000+ Kyber Bricks to collect, and 20+ planets to explore: there's something for every fan in this Galaxy Far, Far Away.

Hardcore Gamer - Kevin Dunsmore - 4.5 / 5
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, a studio set out to make a fun romp through Episodes I-III. Not only did they succeed, but they started a franchise that grew stronger with each entry.

Hobby Consolas - Álvaro Alonso - Spanish - 87 / 100
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is like a dream come true: a game where we can play the most important moments of the nine films, engage in lightsaber battles, fly and fight with a space ship, explore the galaxy, control ALL the characters... If you are a Star Wars fan, it's a must have.

IGN - Tristan Ogilvie - 8 / 10
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga provides some rollicking reimaginings of Star Wars' most iconic moments and seats them inside a series of interplanetary playgrounds that are dense with discovery and entertaining diversions.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 9 / 10
A wonderfully enthusiastic love letter to Lego, Star Wars, and video games in general, that goes above and beyond the call of duty in terms of the scale of the adventure, the attention to detail, and the sheer volume of content.

Nintendo Life - PJ O'Reilly - 9 / 10
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is a fantastic experience on Switch, a great big celebration of everything Star Wars that's made the jump to Nintendo's console in surprisingly fine form. The upgrades to the series' core gameplay here - the combo-focused combat, flashy space battles, boss encounters, over-the-shoulder shooting action and cover system - all combine to make this the best LEGO Star Wars has ever felt to play. Throw in a humongous open world setting that's bursting at the seams with secrets and collectibles and you've got an absolute smorgasbord of all things Star Wars to dig into. Turns out we were fools to think we could ever get tired of Jedis and lightsabers and the pew-pew-pew of flashy space guns.

Press Start - Adam Mathew - 8.5 / 10
When the twin suns set on my time with LEGO Star Wars The Skywalker Saga, it was obvious to me that this production is lavished with love and worth every stud of its asking price. I've been around the block(s) with TT's games for some 15 years now, and this is without a doubt the best thing they've ever snapped together. If you're a gamer who's young or young-at-heart-container, I'd be very surprised if this didn't instantly click with you.

Push Square - Stephen Tailby - 8 / 10
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is a meaningful step forward, smartly evolving the gameplay without losing that fun-loving core. Kids will love the slapstick humour and colourful sights and sounds, grown-ups will appreciate all the elbow-in-ribs jokes, and both will enjoy just how much there is to do. Despite some very minor issues, it's gram for gram the best LEGO game in a long time, and it's up there with the top Star Wars games to boot.

Saving Content - Ed Acosta - 5 / 5
I have been having a ball with this game; the new combat has made things much more fluid and exciting, the in-game puzzles are still easy yet thought-inducing, and the excellent new upgrade system and unlocks got me itching to dive back into the game to unlock more and more. The Skywalker Saga was first announced in 2019 and has had a delay or two to get to this point, including an unfortunate crunch cycle that the devs have had to deal with. But those delays have paid off. The developers at TT Games have crafted a top-tier LEGO title full of polish and one that has gotten its hooks in me all over again.

Shacknews - Donovan Erskine - 9 / 10
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is the definitive LEGO Star Wars experience. Although the game can feel a bit cluttered with its overload of collectibles and shiny things to look at, it’s an impressive collection of the full saga.

TechRaptor - Paul Lombardo - 9 / 10
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga is the best LEGO game to date.

The Beta Network - Samuel Incze - 9 / 10
The Skywalker Saga successfully manages to recreate the fun and humour of its 2005 counterpart. It gives us a new take on the Star Wars series, with many great moments filled with hilarious jokes and gags. The revamped combat feels fantastic and really helps to keep things fresh and exciting. There are a few jokes that may make you roll your eyes, but despite this, it's hard not to get hooked in The Skywalker Saga's world for hours on end!

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.5 / 10
After a few years of being in development, LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga was definitely worth the wait as it single-handedly revitalizes the LEGO formula for a modern audience. I can't wait to see what other licenses will get this treatment down the road.

Wccftech - Nathan Birch - 8 / 10
Lego Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga sets its sights sky-high and largely does justice to that galaxy far, far away. Its truncated treatment of the movies occasionally disappoints, but charming, content-packed sandbox stages mostly make up for any story mission shortcomings. This blocky take on George Lucas' family drama is worth enjoying with yours.

Windows Central - Rebecca Spear - 4 / 5
If you're a fan of the Star Wars series you will love the humorous twist LEGO puts on your favorite characters from another Galaxy far far away. All nine movies are in the game and you can play any trilogy in any order. Plus, the game offers plenty of replay value to keep you entertained for hours.

Worth Playing - Chris "Atom" DeAngelus - 8.5 / 10
LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga genuinely hits the mark. It's a love letter to the nine main movies in the Star Wars franchise, and it feels like something that's made for anyone to enjoy, whether their favorite movie is "The Phantom Menace" or "The Rise of Skywalker." It doesn't reinvent the wheel as far as LEGO games go, but it's darn fun with a load of content that is sure to keep fans happy for a long time.

XGN.nl - Luuc ten Velde - Dutch - 9 / 10
TT Games has outdone itself by reinventing the LEGO formula to create the most complete Star Wars game in history. The mechanics have been reworked to suit both young and old players, while keeping that great LEGO humor throughout. As Ben Kenobi would say: "This is the Star Wars game people are looking for!"

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 80%
What could have so easily been a retread of previous LEGO Star Wars games, has more than its fair share of new ideas. The Skywalker Saga offers a greatest hits compilation of all nine films, wrapped up in signature knockabout comedy, with enjoyable and uncomplicated, though sometimes slightly dull, gameplay. Bottom line is, I'm a sucker for a LEGO Star Wars game. Sign me up. Again.

Last edited:

Larxia

I really wish these games had online coop... I know it's mainly aimed at families with kids and stuff, but quite often we wished with friends that we could play them online together.
I usually don't find the objectives / missions in these games really fun, but I like the free roam and how the worlds are recreated, being able to play them online would probably motivate me more to finish them.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
300 playable characters. Sweet
A few reviews mention that a lot of the characters are DLC and cost extra(?). Does anyone know the details on that?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Took a look at the trophy list online and this one caught my eye...

''Hello there!''
Collect all characters

With some characters being tied to DLC, etc.....this is pretty lame to tie a trophy to it if the paid characters also count.

Does anyone know if all characters are able to be unlocked in game without DLC?

Last edited:

MAtgS

300 playable characters. Sweet
Honestly I'm not so impressed with the inflated numbers of playable when most players are just gonna stick to about a dozen or so guys. Like half that number is different stormtroopers variations.

GruntosUK

A few reviews mention that a lot of the characters are DLC and cost extra(?). Does anyone know the details on that?
There are some packs extra, you get them with the top package, not sure if you can get them separately (maybe timed exclusive?). They were characters from the Solo movie, The Mandalorian and some stormtroopers from Rise of Skywalker I think.

Last edited:
Via Reddit

All codes known at this moment :

Holiday Special :

• Itchy (Holiday Special) : WOOKIEE
  • Poe Dameron (Holiday Special) : KORDOKU
  • GNK Droid (Holiday Special) : LIFEDAY
  • Darth Vader (Holiday Special) : WROSHYR
  • D-O (Holiday Special) : TIPYIPS
  • C-3P0 (Holiday Special) : C3PHOHO

Characters :

• Nute Gunray : WBFE4GO
  • Admiral Holdo : XV4WND9
  • Poggle the Lesser : Z55T8CQ
  • The Emperor : SIDIOUS
  • Ratts Tyerell : GR2VBXF
  • Dengar : OKV7TLR
  • Tarkin : 3FCPPVX

Ships :

• The Razorcrest : ARVALA7
  • Resistance Shuttle : SHUTTLE

Bog

Junior Ace
GameGrin - Samiee "Gutterpunk" Tee - 7 / 10
Traveller's Tales return to the LEGO fray is a double-edged sword of good intentions, and the over-complication of its famous brand of gameplay. At its best, The Skywalker Saga sees itself touching greatness it hasn't seen since the seventh generation of gaming.
Not sure I’ve ever wanted to punch someone more. Yeah, reference the “seventh generation” as if that means shit to anyone normal. Although I guess if you’re reading reviews by “Gutterpunk” over on GameGrin (?) you’re probably not all that normal.

Quantum253

Gold Member
Took a look at the trophy list online and this one caught my eye...

''Hello there!''
Collect all characters

With some characters being tied to DLC, etc.....this is pretty lame to tie a trophy to it if the paid characters also count.

Does anyone know if all characters are able to be unlocked in game without DLC?
That would be lame tieing trophies/achievements to DLC. Unless that's collecting all characters within the base game and not including DLC (usually DLC contains its own trophies/achievements) outside the base game. It is also annoying having a platinum and overall progress only being 60% due to counting DLC in overall progress

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Check out new gameplay from LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga from Episode VIII The Last Jedi. In this gameplay clip Rey makes her way to find Kylo Ren to stop him from continuing down the path of the Dark Side.

Kylo Ren takes her to Supreme Leader Snoke, and Snoke tells Kylo his apprentice to fulfill his destiny as the son of darkness, heir apparent to Lord Vader.

Watch as Kylo and Rey take on the Snokes elite Praetorian guards.

Last edited:

PerfectDark

Banned
This is not the Star Wars game we been looking for. Everything Star Wars is cool. That is why every Disney Star Wars spin off is awesome. I want a open world rpg star wars game not based on movies I seen. Good story/open world/skill trees/loot. I'll even take a Star Wars ARPG like Diablo 2/Grim Dawn.

Last edited:

MAtgS

y0mVpef.jpg

The fuck is up with the shitty patchy looking visual effects? I see it in video reviews so it isn't just me but Jesus Christ it is taking me out of the game here.

BlackTron

what console ye all buying this for ? tempted get it on switch be nice handheld game ?
This is my question. It's the kind of game that would work really well on Switch, especially for the drop in/out multiplayer, good game to have on the MP/party system.

On the other hand I could get it on Xbox and blow away performance, but maybe Switch is good enough for this game. I wish I could demo the different versions.

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Got this on the series X. Runs really well and looks great. I watched some reviews of the switch version and the game looks significantly lower res (which it is) and the draw distance is pretty bad on pop in. Most won’t care but I’m glad I got the high powered console version for this type of game.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Well I guess I'll keep this one under my radar, to get it when the price is lower.

Too many sealed games yet to play to make another purchase.

Any PS5 vs XSX comparisons yet? Debating where to buy it

I bought the game for my Xbox Series X rather than PS5, simply because of VRR being supported on the former and not the latter console (yet... but will be in the "coming months"... just don't hold your breath too long!).

However, having played it for about an hour yesterday, since I got my physical copy a day early from The Games Collection in the UK, I was a bit disappointed to find that the game is a tad rough around the edges. For starters, the game has a very noticeable and repeatable stutter during the opening title screen animation which shows Rey and the other characters as she speaks before displaying the "Press a button to start" prompt. This doesn't leave a great first impression and, sure enough, there is stuttering in some of the cutscenes, which appear to be capped at 30 fps. I only played Chapter IV: A New Hope but the game even crashed during the cutscene where Leia is putting the Death Star plans into R2-D2, booting me back to the Home screen. Not only that but the game has no checkpoints during the level so on restarting the game I had to play the level again from the start. There is also noticeable draw in and pop in mid-distance in some of more expansive levels such as the second one on Tatooine but this is no doubt done to keep the framerate at 60 fps for gameplay.

The graphics are certainly nice and colourful but not really that much of an advance on the older games in my opinion. The switch to a third-person over-the-shoulder camera and standard aiming controls makes the game feel a bit fresher though and I do prefer this over the fixed camera angles of the previous games. The framerate in-game is mostly fine though, even when there's lot of LEGO bricks on-screen but maybe this is where VRR is helping to keep things smooth?

Game version is 1.05. Maybe there will be another patch today to fix this issues but the game doesn't feel as polished as I was hoping it would be given how long it has been in development. I don't think I've actually had an Xbox Series X game crash this way since I bought my console last December.

Last edited:
Do cut scenes also run at 30 fps in XSX? On ps5 the game switches to 30 fps for cut scenes. A bit jarring.

Yes. At least, they clearly look as if they're running at a lower framerate than the gameplay to me and can be a bit choppy at times too.

Last edited:

thatJohann

I bought the game for my Xbox Series X rather than PS5, simply because of VRR being supported on the former and not the latter console (yet... but will be in the "coming months"... just don't hold your breath too long!).

However, having played it for about an hour yesterday, since I got my physical copy a day early from The Games Collection in the UK, I was a bit disappointed to find that the game is a tad rough around the edges. For starters, the game has a very noticeable and repeatable stutter during the opening title screen animation which shows Rey and the other characters as she speaks before displaying the "Press a button to start" prompt. This doesn't leave a great first impression and, sure enough, there is stuttering in some of the cutscenes, which appear to be capped at 30 fps. I only played Chapter IV: A New Hope but the game even crashed during the cutscene where Leia is putting the Death Star plans into R2-D2, booting me back to the Home screen. Not only that but the game has no checkpoints during the level so on restarting the game I had to play the level again from the start. There is also noticeable draw in and pop in mid-distance in some of more expansive levels such as the second one on Tatooine but this is no doubt done to keep the framerate at 60 fps for gameplay.

The graphics are certainly nice and colourful but not really that much of an advance on the older games in my opinion. The switch to a third-person over-the-shoulder camera and standard aiming controls makes the game feel a bit fresher though and I do prefer this over the fixed camera angles of the previous games. The framerate in-game is mostly fine though, even when there's lot of LEGO bricks on-screen but maybe this is where VRR is helping to keep things smooth?

Game version is 1.05. Maybe there will be another patch today to fix this issues but the game doesn't feel as polished as I was hoping it would be given how long it has been in development. I don't think I've actually had an Xbox Series X game crash this way since I bought my console last December.
ooof I did notice screen tearing on ps5. That VRR update can’t come soon enough. Should’ve gotten it on XSX

Just_one

Deluxe Edition just arrived.

came with an unexpected darth vader keychain , could be in lego but its not.

gonna keep the minifig sealed , it will pay the game in a couple years for sure like the one with lego avengers did (it was an iron man centurion minifig)

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
ooof I did notice screen tearing on ps5. That VRR update can’t come soon enough. Should’ve gotten it on XSX
I plan on getting it on XSX. I don't know what the deal is with Target (and WalMart) but they rarely have copies (or only a few copies) of major new releases on XSX. They didn't have the 'next level' edition of Tiny Tina's and all of the local Targets only have 1-2 copies of the XSX version (some don't have any and it's before opening).

Last night (after midnight) I check my Target and only showed one copy for sale. ONE! So I placed the order and I hope they actually have it, otherwise I'll have to go with the PS5 version....but the screen tearing (VRR) sounds bad on that version.

Top Bottom