• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lego Star Wars - The Skywalker Saga | Review Mega Thread

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Question on the trophies/achievements

I heard only one player gets them in local co-op which makes sense, but for anyone playing online, do both you and your partner obtain trophies?
There is no online at all. Local co op is the only way to play multiplayer.

Ogbert

So, err, this game is absolutely amazing.

Pretty convinced that Mario Odyssey was an inspiration. The free play exploration feels very similar.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Been enjoying the game, but this has to be one of the buggiest games I have played in along time. constant bugs

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm really enjoying this, I've never really clicked with lego games too much. I have loads in my back catalogue for my kids. Might gave to try them out after.

Looks so good on series x. Loving it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Oh well if they’ve always been that way they should never add it

They're games made for kids and always have been. They're designed for two kids sitting in front of the TV to play co op together. Honestly I think that's more of a LEGO decision than a TT one.

Last edited:

TexMex

They're games made for kids and always have been. They're designed for two kids sitting in front of the TV to play co op together. Honestly I think that's more of a LEGO decision than a TT one.

Plenty of games made for children feature online play and the standard has changed since the Lego Star Wars on PS2 hit. Also, children play games online. Also - look at this thread. Clearly the appeal extends beyond little kids, we've got several pages of adults playing this here.

Look - it's on me for not knowing there wasn't online play. I'm just sincerely shocked because in 2022, online is the standard in 2022 (and local co-op is a nice to get if you're lucky) so I think giving them a pass because "that's how it's always" been is a bit much, and the notion that because it's for kids meaning it doesn't have wide appeal or that children don't play games online in this day and age is just flat out wrong.

Can someone who's tech savvy tell me if it's possible they DID NOT mess up the ps5 version? Like, could this big of a disparity be explained by the roughly15% raw power difference between Series x and ps5 and their engine just not playing nice with the ps5 architecture?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can someone who's tech savvy tell me if it's possible they DID NOT mess up the ps5 version? Like, could this big of a disparity be explained by the roughly15% raw power difference between Series x and ps5 and their engine just not playing nice with the ps5 architecture?
I don't think we have any trustworthy numbers at the minute. Maybe the ps5 version is fine? If it is a large difference it maybe just that their engine prefers a wider gpu design?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Since the other thread got closed, and there's no OT for this game. Posting the DF video here again, hopefully we can keep it civil.

--

DF results are given or take the same as ElAnalistaDeBits video posted on the previous pages. The PS5 version has a much lower resolution compared to SX (1800p vs 1296p lowest bound) while all new consoles run at basically a perfect 60 FPS in the performance mode.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Since the other thread got closed, and there's no OT for this game. Posting the DF video here again, hopefully we can keep it civil.

--

DF results are given or take the same as ElAnalistaDeBits video posted on the previous pages. The PS5 version has a much lower resolution compared to SX (1800p vs 1296p lowest bound) while all new consoles run at basically a perfect 60 FPS in the performance mode.

I'm all for keeping it civil but I've seen worse and was surprised it got locked.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I'm actually surprised the DF thread got locked, I don't think I saw anything different than any other comparison thread I have seen on here. I guess a lot of DF threads will be getting locked in the future? Was it due to the OPs joke in the post?

Roufianos

I looove Star Wars and Lego but this just didn't click with me. Played until Episode 7 and gave up.

I mean it looks gorgeous and the cutscenes are charming but I just found the gameplay so boring.

Banned

--

so the results by ElAnalistaDeBits were pretty accurate, the PS5 version seems to be botched

Last edited:

ManaByte

In terms of the levels in the game I'd rank them:
Sequel Trilogy
Prequel Trilogy
Original Trilogy

Maybe because it's the third time they've done the OT, but those levels just felt rushed and lazy.

ManaByte

LOVED IT.

UYxovHa.jpg

fatmarco

One major downgrade from the first game is the opening to Revenge of the Sith.

In the Skywalker saga you don't even play the flight towards Grievous's ship which is odd considering they've added so many flight based missions in.

dan76

Just finished all the story missions. Some of it was a real drag, some forced walking, a lot of go here, cut scene, go there, cut scene. The open world free play stuff is better, but it's all so easy, there's virtually no challenge to any of it. I remember enjoying the older games more, and those sequel films still leave a bad taste.

Last edited:

Banned
One major downgrade from the first game is the opening to Revenge of the Sith.

In the Skywalker saga you don't even play the flight towards Grievous's ship which is odd considering they've added so many flight based missions in.

from what I played so far the whole game can't really match Complete Saga. I think Traveler's Tales should go back to the roots of the Lego games. modern Lego games fake too much complexity, yes I said fake, because the complexity added is mostly just cosmetic and doesn't and depth to the gameplay.

Lego Star Wars 1, 2, Complete Saga and Lego Indy 1 were just as deep in terms of actual gameplay, but they were more focused on the basics of what makes the games fun. they were really intuitive to control, easy to pick up, uncomplicated to hop in and out of coop and because they didn't have any Splitscreen features yet (later lego games implemented that splitscreen feature that splits the screen once you walk too far away from eachother) and so the gameplay was way more straight forward.

I really think not a single Lego game that came out after Complete Saga was close to that game's quality (also one of only 2 Lego titles that have online Coop btw.). Lego Indiana Jones, which released a year after Complete Saga, was on the same level I would say as the standalone Lego Star Wars 2 tho, so not far off, and Complete Saga is better simply by the fact it has about 2x the content and it's Star Wars :D

BUT, Skywalker Saga is the best Lego game IN A LONG TIME... it trimmed down the gameplay where it mattered the most again, and that is that it went away with all the ability wheels every damn character started to have where every character had like 9 different abilities you had to switch between every 2 seconds, so thankfully they got rid of that shit.

Last edited:

TimFL

LEGO games have always only been local co op
That‘s not true. SW The Complete Saga had online co-op on e.g. PS3. No idea why they decided to scrap that again in the games after that though.

This game really hypes me for a potential Marvel Infinity Saga (MCU) game… really hope they go for that next.

BlackTron

Plenty of games made for children feature online play and the standard has changed since the Lego Star Wars on PS2 hit. Also, children play games online. Also - look at this thread. Clearly the appeal extends beyond little kids, we've got several pages of adults playing this here.

Look - it's on me for not knowing there wasn't online play. I'm just sincerely shocked because in 2022, online is the standard in 2022 (and local co-op is a nice to get if you're lucky) so I think giving them a pass because "that's how it's always" been is a bit much, and the notion that because it's for kids meaning it doesn't have wide appeal or that children don't play games online in this day and age is just flat out wrong.

x1oXput.jpg

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yeah, it should deffo have online play but it's clear they expect parents to be sat playing with their kids locally. Put me in the camp that it should have online play though. I'd love to do some online on this.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like this is possibly being teased for a game pass announcement next week

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
So, err, this game is absolutely amazing.

Pretty convinced that Mario Odyssey was an inspiration. The free play exploration feels very similar.
Was on sale for 20€ in eShop and I have kids. This thing is pure crack, I am shocked at how much content there is in this game plus the puzzles to hunt and unlock all the bricks.

I am honestly shocked at how this game plays. Also Switch version is a solid port.

Top Bottom