• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's look over Nintendo's relationship with Sonic the Hedgehog

How many more to go until we have more Sonic games on Nintendo hardware than Sega consoles?

You kidding? We past that ages ago! Hell the exclusives might exceed Sega's own hardware alone! :p

Hell, even Sega themselves pointed out that Sonic's been on Nintendo systems longer than on Sega's. *looking for the tweet*

Edit: Think it was this:

https://twitter.com/sega/status/383733217406095361

Swore they mentioned that fact specifically.

Regiruler

Sonic Lost World

The first next-gen/8th Sonic game made exclusively for said generation released on October 22, 2013, and the first in a 3-game exclusivity deal with Nintendo. This game threw the formula from the boost trilogy out the window in favor of yet another new idea. Did it work? Ehh... not really. Props for prioritizing 60fps after so long, and I did like the writing and interactions between Sonic, Tails, and Eggman, but gameplay-wise, it was sadly really weak. Sales-wise, believe it or not, according to NPD, it gained pretty good momentum after launch, the game may have debuted at 30k combined on Wii U and 3DS, however, on Wii U alone it did around 100k after about four months in Feb 2014, with 3DS a bit higher back in Dec. And it held it's price for a whole year, pretty rare for a Sonic game I find these days. So who knows, I think it did pretty okay for what it was and the Wii U's install base. As Transformed showed, if you make a good Sonic game,. they will come. Also of course we have special Yoshi and Zelda DLC stages. Short as hell, but frankly including the NiGHTS stage, are to me the best levels in the game. Go figure.

The core gameplay was Lost World's biggest asset. Just because it's production values were ass and people were unwilling to learn them doesn't mean you need to throw the mechanics under the bus.

And the DLC levels barring yoshi weren't even good.

Hopeford

You know, I was always a big fan of Secret Rings. The game had a few(a lot) of issues, but it was really fun when it really got going. At the very least it's nowhere near as bad as Black Knight. Then again it has been years since I played it, so maybe it's a lot worse than I remember it.

You know, I was always a big fan of Secret Rings. The game had a few(a lot) of issues, but it was really fun when it really got going. At the very least it's nowhere near as bad as Black Knight. Then again it has been years since I played it, so maybe it's a lot worse than I remember it.

I always wanted to see a successor set in the main Sonic world with the Wiimote still, and a larger emphasis on the arcade-like gameplay, hell make it as if it were an AM2 game in 60fps and make it pump you up with energy. Make it short but sweet.

It was like the one Sonic game that even today can't really be replicated on another system with the same feel. Don't know if the Move controller can do the same thing, and of course you can use the Wiimote on Wii U.

batbeg

Secret Rings is the only Sonic game I've played since Sonic Adventure 2 on the DC. I loved it though it had many frustrating issues from time to time. It was paced well and innovative to the platformer genre. Seems really unusual you'd question in the OP whether it was really a platformer.

Crayolan

Man, looking at this I realize I own most Sonic games on Nintendo systems. And like every one on the gamecube except Gems Collection and Riders.

sonto340

Would people like for me to do a Part 2 of this for the handheld games?

I was just about to post about how there's no Sonic Advance in the OP

Sonic Advance is the Real Sonic 4 as far as I'm concerned. It continued the three main playable characters with slight variations in gameplay, and added a fourth in Amy.

It's the last 2D sonic game that wasn't focused on GO GO GO BOOST PAD SPRING BOOST TO WIN HOLD RIGHT GO GO GO and man did they totally nail it. I feel like it really proves that Dimps know what they're doing, it's just the direction SEGA has forced them to take the sonic series since Advance 2.

ShadiWulf

What leak?

Think hes referring to this "leak" by Endri from Sonic Retro. The same guy who leaked Sonic 4 before its release and caused SEGA to go silent and delay Sonic 4 Episode 1 for months to change things up due to all the negative reactions.

In fact, it surprisingly isn’t. Now that you mentioned this, I must say that they already have working prototypes. I’ve seen it: it is not [Lost World] 2 and neither it follows the Generations formula. MSFT devs are quite often in contact with them in order to aid them in the process of porting/implementing subsystems with Xbox One-exclusive implementations—subsystems which are platform dependant [sic]—and this is mainly because the Durango’s Japanese documentation sucks.

But I’m afraid this is as much as I’m allowed to mention at this given time.

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/06/03/working-prototypes-of-next-sonic-allegedly-in-existence/

sonto340

Also RE: lost world
I thought it was a perfectly fine game. definitely nowhere near the level of Generations or Colors, or Unleashed (which I enjoyed werehog and all but that's a conversation for another thread), but it's perfectly serviceable. The controls seems complete jank when you first play without any idea of what you're doing, but once you learn the nuances, you start running on walls, jumping off with ease, landing on small platforms and coming to a dead stop, and you'll never homing attack when you meant to double jump or vice versa because they made them different buttons.
I wish they had made the ? Bubbles physical objects in the world instead of just showing up on the screen and you having to know took at the Wii U gamepad and tap a button on the screen to get a hint. I feel like the controls would get a lot less flack if people understood them.

Elija2

Whoa, I had no idea that Sonic Rush Adventure was published by Nintendo in South Korea. I wonder why Sega didn't publish it themselves. Maybe the first Rush game didn't sell well over there so they didn't want to do it but Nintendo were up for it for whatever reason.

Whoa, I had no idea that Sonic Rush Adventure was published by Nintendo in South Korea. I wonder why Sega didn't publish it themselves. Maybe the first Rush game didn't sell well over there so they didn't want to do it but Nintendo were up for it for whatever reason.

I remember someone I think at Siliconera commenting it was due to Sega Korea closing, but apparently they're back and published a Special Edition of Gens 360 there? Maybe they reopened after Rush Adventure.

Too bad Wii U never got Generations.

I know, this was a HUGE missed opportunity, they could've easily made it for Summer 2013, not like they haven't done multiple games in the same year on the same system before.

Like 2010:

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing - February 23, 2010

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - October 11, 2010

Sonic Colors - November 16, 2010

2014 was also pretty open with just Sonic Boom, and yeah, I think they wouldn't have had trouble selling it then. :p

And, my own mock-up of the box from a couple years back! Also my fan box; Sonic Adventure 3 on Wii U!

54537-sonic-generations-full.png
49044-sonic-adventure-3-full.png

Also kind of shows how Sega has pretty much tried one new major element per game to try and find some mythical winning formula with Sonic games (Unless that's just their business plan for Sonic... which would be a terrible idea and I have some faith in Sega...)

Starting at Sonic Adventure they tried to include a narrative and overworld and multiple characters. While the stages were good and the game was great at its core, this was the beginning of the end.

And since then it jumped from gimmick to gimmick. Sigh.

Also kind of shows how Sega has pretty much tried one new major element per game to try and find some mythical winning formula with Sonic games (Unless that's just their business plan for Sonic... which would be a terrible idea and I have some faith in Sega...)

Starting at Sonic Adventure they tried to include a narrative and overworld and multiple characters. While the stages were good and the game was great at its core, this was the beginning of the end.

Yeah I mean people were not opposing the Adventure formula at all, Shadow attempted to move it back towards that after Heroes was more point A to point B. I wonder if '06 huge panning scared them from it, for the wrong reasons, thinking people hated the game for that rather than because it was terribly made.

Nanashrew

Banned

I don't think that's quite the problem with Sonic. Platformers are huge on gimmicks to differentiate and to add new layers on top of the core gameplay.

The problem with Sonic is more how they constantly shift styles. Each era of Sonic is incredibly different from the last and that has lead to problems with the franchise. Meanwhile with Mario, they have barely changed anything of the core gameplay and philosophies. But they created a lot of gimmicks and built them to fit neatly with the core. That's how Mario stays consistently on top, fun and fresh to this day without the huge shifts in gameplay.

Sonic needs to start following more in Mario's footsteps in the refinement aspect and stick to a core that works well, then find ways to freshen it up without restarting every few games. It could help to rebuild the franchise. Another problem of Sonic's is what is part of the main series since they keep making so many changes. Sticking to one thing could help in this confusion too so people could differentiate between main and side games.

EwO4ioR.jpg

WTF were they thinking while they were composing this shit.

Apparently Bioware literally just grabbed some shit from VGMix because their contract with Sega expired due to the EA buyout, meaning they could half-ass everything at the end of development.

SoulUnison

Banned

Sonic already barely gets any new arrangements or anything for Smash Bros., for some reason, this would just be a middle finger to the fans on the magnitude of Bad Boxart Mega Man.

It's criminal that brawl only got one Sonic remix and Smash 4 didn't get *any.*
Mega Man got a bunch of music, as did Shulk and Pac-Man.
Snake even got a generous handful of Metal Gear music in Brawl, including a remix f the theme from 4 that was exclusively *for* Brawl.

Considering how well Sonic does on Nintendo systems, his Smash representation has been kind of lackluster.

Sonic already barely gets any new arrangements or anything for Smash Bros., for some reason, this would just be a middle finger to the fans on the magnitude of Bad Boxart Mega Man.

Snake even got a generous handful of Metal Gear music in Brawl, including a remix f the theme from 4 that was exclusively *for* Brawl.

Considering how well Sonic does on Nintendo systems, his Smash representation has been kind of lackluster.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with any concern over copyright. Don't forget, Sonic 1 and 2's music is still at least partially owned by the composer Masato Nakamura or his band Dreams Come True. That's been a hassle for Sega and it's likely Nintendo might want to partly own any original remixes in Smash, especially any by their own composers. Don't only Sega's composers work on the Mario & Sonic games?

SoulUnison

Banned
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with any concern over copyright. Don't forget, Sonic 1 and 2's music is still at least partially owned by the composer Masato Nakamura or his band Dreams Come True. That's been a hassle for Sega and it's likely Nintendo might want to partly own any original remixes in Smash, especially any by their own composers. Don't only Sega's composers work on the Mario & Sonic games?

I don't get why Dreams Come True is a hurdle anymore, I mean, they let their Sonic 2 ending theme get remixed by Akon of all people in two different languages for Sonic 06, and that wasn't even a good game. You'd think they'd want to see their work in something as prolific as Smash Bros.

I don't know about the Olympic games,though,I've never played one.

J@hranimo

Banned
I still feel the gameplay mechanics for Lost World had potential. It's just the level design...or for some levels the lack of....was so dumb.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As a heads-up, they announced a 2015 Sonic title back in early 2014 (before Sonic Boom was fully announced) that was supposed to be for all current-gen platforms, including WiiU. We haven't seen it yet, though the director of Sonic Team said that the recent changes at SEGA wouldn't affect Sonic titles and they were working on a console-based game, but it being delayed some wouldn't surprise me.

Mr Swine

Banned
I still feel the gameplay mechanics for Lost World had potential. It's just the level design...or for some levels the lack of....was so dumb.

The gameplay in SLW is superior to SU and SG and I really hope that Sega expands on that!

I really hope that Sega announces a new Sonic game for Wii U at E3 despite not having a booth or conference :/

Also they should add Dr Eggman to Smash Wii U! :D

Nanashrew

Banned

I actually agree. A strong core is there but it just needs more refinement and the level design needs to better accommodate Sonic's skills. Though I did really enjoy the Zelda DLC level with that opening area where you could just explore. They could even tweak that engine and make a more Adventure style kind of game.

Crayolan

Shulk is a 1st party Nintendo character. And excluding a handful of rips (because Sonic has that too) he only got 1 medley.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
At this point, I dont see sonic ever not being on a nintendo platform, even if its multiplat. He's just too ingrained into the nintendo culture.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Wasn't my intention, I actually did forget about it as I haven't played it yet. Dunno how good it is.

Generations and if we count Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed, both came out between Colors and Lost World.

Sonic lost world reception is weird, when the demo came out and when seeing all the media for it, the game just looked great, just great graphics, 60fps, incredible soundtrack, etc. When ti came out reviews werent anything controversial, it got alot of 7.5s and such but nothing too bad or too good, the actual player reception treated it like the worse piece of shit ever, that kinda stuck out to me, I have yet to play it even to this day besides the demo, but it couldnt be that bad, and then people liked the DLC released for it.

about some months ago somebody made a thread asking how good lost world is really.
Not just hyperbole but people's honest feelings to it. Alot of the responses said that the game isnt all that bad, just the later levels goes down in quality, which varies from eh, to really bad to some people according to responses, I think almost everyone in the thread agreed it just needed a lil bit more time in the oven, but isnt sonic and the black knights bad or sonic 06 bad or anything.

Nanashrew

Banned
Sonic lost world reception is weird, when the demo came out and when seeing all the media for it, the game just looked great, just great graphics, 60fps, incredible soundtrack, etc. When ti came out reviews werent anything controversial, it got alot of 7.5s and such but nothing too bad or too good, the actual player reception treated it like the worse piece of shit ever, that kinda stuck out to me, I have yet to play it even to this day besides the demo, but it couldnt be that bad, and then people liked the DLC released for it.

about some months ago somebody made a thread asking how good lost world is really.
Not just hyperbole but people's honest feelings to it. Alot of the responses said that the game isnt all that bad, just the later levels goes down in quality, which varies from eh, to really bad to some people according to responses, I think almost everyone in the thread agreed it jsut needed a lil bit more time in the oven, but isnt sonic and the black knights bad or sonic 06 bad or anything.

This is true. And I also agree on the 7.5 score. I enjoyed it but it didn't knock my socks off.

Apparently Bioware literally just grabbed some shit from VGMix because their contract with Sega expired due to the EA buyout, meaning they could half-ass everything at the end of development.
Thats a shame, I would have liked to think a Bioware made RPG for the DS could have been an amazing thing if they had of put a decent effort into it, I still want to give the game a go at some point.

Jay RaR

At this point, I dont see sonic ever not being on a nintendo platform, even if its multiplat. He's just too ingrained into the nintendo culture.

Sonic being on Nintendo is all fine and dandy, but I just hope more console Sonic games come to platforms other than Nintendo. It's been 4 years and I want to experience a next gen Sonic game already.

Elija2

Sonic 06 already WAS Sonic Adventure 3.

It didn't have a Chao Garden, therefore it wasn't Sonic Adventure 3. At least, not to me.

Plus Sonic 06 was supposed to be a story reboot for the franchise so even though it takes many gameplay elements from the Adventure games it doesn't seem right to call it Sonic Adventure 3.

SegaShack

I seem to be confused. You seem to present this information with a historian perspective but also put a lot of your opinions in it as well, especially by not including different games. I appreciate the effort, but believe a disclaimer would be a good idea.

Nice thread, good times were had in my childhood.

Would be great if you did a part 2.

Also, I hope they never give up making Sonic games, sure they are mostly Swing and a Miss now a days, but I like that they experiment. ....dont let a new team make another Sonic Game though, we dont need another Sonic Boom. And while I might get shot for this, I enjoyed the RPG, I just disliked how boring the final boss was and the sad cliffhanger.

Top Bottom