• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's talk about combat in Sony's first party titles

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Niho has a more varied gameplay by far compared to sekiro of course, i was talking about how perfected the mechanics are.
I'll drop it, since like I said everyone has their favorites. Not my goal to change anyone's mind. But Sekiro literally has 1 weapon, 1 combo, and limited weapon skills. There is very limited variety in how you are allowed to approach the enemies, since you must land the parries, period. It's got many of the same tracking and enemy behavior issues other FROM games have. It is definitely by far their best combat though, and I do respect the game a lot.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I don't know what weapon being precise means. Nioh is super precise as well, while juggling a ton more options. You can do no armor zero damage runs on all the bosses. You can approach the bosses in multiple different ways. You can attack with magic, items, or multiple varied weapons from various ranges that all have deep command lists of skills and 3 stances of moves. Nioh 2 also adds all the monster (blue mage) skills, which there are a ton and even more customization options, and 3 different demon forms - each with differently timed defensive / counter options. You can sit in a training mode and work through all of it like a fighting game. I'd honestly guess that it's far more "precise" than a FROM game which usually has balance issues, enemies tracking you unusually with lock on, input reading, etc.

FROM is far better at art design and level design though.
Nioh is more of RPG with RPG mechanics, Sekiro is pure sword combat action game, if you want more RPG in your game that’s fine but that doesn’t make Sekiro combat inferior.

Also Sekrio doesn't have balance issue, I played that game multiple times and platinum the game and never felt the game is being unfair, not even once.

Serious and realistic stories, nothing in silent hill and from games is realistic or grounded.

Aw2 is the more grounded of the bunch and it is still super fantasy compared to tlou2.

People have different taste than you so devs try to cover all bases.
I‘m not talking about Silent Hill being “realistic“, I’m talking about Silent Hill have serious story while still having interesting enemies. You assume only realistic games can have serious story and I disagree.

GymWolf

I would argue that it is fictionally weighty in terms of attacks and fictionally floaty in mobility and reaction. It is more visceral, but not any more grounded than RE4. The combat does not deliver if their goal is to emulate something like Rambo. RE4 on the other hand captures the action film combat style amazingly well.
Agree to disagree.

The grittines, the tone, the more realistic depiction of violence (both graphic and audio), more realistic gore, the more grounded animations for melee, etc. make tlou more similar to rambo than re4.

Re4 looks like a more bombastic 90s action movie than rambo 1 or 2, remember that rambo mixed guerrilla and stealth like tlou does, he was not headkicking or moon-kicking motherfuckers.

Agree to disagree.

The grittines, the tone, the more realistic depiction of violence (both graphic and audio), more realistic gore, the more grounded animations for melee, etc. make tlou more similar to rambo than re4.

Re4 looks like a more bombastic 90s action movie than rambo 1 or 2, remember that rambo mixed guerrilla and stealth like tlou does, he was not headkicking or moon-kicking motherfuckers.
We are on the same page, but I think I could have worded it better. Rambo =/= action film. It is a dramatic thriller.

GymWolf

Nioh is more of RPG with RPG mechanics, Sekiro is pure sword combat action game, if you want more RPG in your game that’s fine but that doesn’t make Sekiro combat inferior.

Also Sekrio doesn't have balance issue, I played that game multiple times and platinum the game and never felt the game is being unfair, not even once.

I‘m not talking about Silent Hill being “realistic“, I’m talking about Silent Hill have serious story while still having interesting enemies. You assume only realistic games can have serious story and I disagree.
Then maybe i wasn't clear enough, i was not talking only about the story, but the whole package.

People sometimes enjoy realistic experiences (i mean the game still has zombies and shit but they try to give a realistic lore that is not just dead people returning to life).

You don't and it's ok, but like i said, not everyone has your same taste, especially in a world where gta5, a fully realistic title is the most succesful vg of all time and ND and rockstar games or COD games are usually some of the most hyped games of every gen for a ot of people.
People sometimes are ok with losing enemy types of cool boss fights for realistic experiences.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member

The game does have some extremely minimal RPG elements, mostly just unlocking skill points to get more action moves. Stats don't do much. I didn't mention any of that though. It's an action game. The game has instanced levels focused on running through repeatedly rather than open ended exploration being the focus.

And no offense, but I don't think you've ever seen a balance issue in any FROM game. And that's fine, you're super into it and good at it. But I think there's tons of examples. The enemies don't play by the same rules as the player, which I mentioned before like lack of stamina for enemies, input reading, unusually magnetic tracking. I don't see that stuff in Nioh, and they go further than almost any action game by letting you display enemy fatigue bars too. You can literally just dodge some of the early enemies for 3-4 strikes and they will tire themselves out, hit them once and they are stunned, just like the player character would be.

GinSama

Lol at Sony games of all games not getting their due in anything.

Edit: Also, over-the-shoulder camera is still shit for GOW. While it works wonders to aim with the Leviathan Axe, it comes at the expense of crowd control.
That's my biggest turn off in new gow, i mean is there any fight so epic like Poseidon or even Cronos?

There isn't. I miss the epic scale of the past games. Really hate the new camera

Danjin44

The enemies don't play by the same rules as the player, which I mentioned before like lack of stamina for enemies
In Sekrio there is no stamina, it just posture bar and both the you and boss has it and both follow same rule the less health you have the easier to break posture.

Also in most games most bosses don’t follow same rule as the player and most of the time you are in disadvantage, that what makes the fights interesting.…I don’t consider that balance issues.

your advantage is you have much faster animation while bosses telegraph their attack much clearly.

Do you think Fatalis in Monster Hunter world is following the same rule as the player?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
In Sekrio there is no stamina, it just posture bar and both the you and have boss has it and both follow same rule the less health you have the easier to break posture.

Also in most games most bosses don’t follow same rule and the player and most of the time you are in disadvantage, that what makes the fights interesting.…I don’t consider that balance issues.

your advantage is you have much faster animation while bosses telegraph their attack much clearly.

Do you think Fatalis in Monster Hunter world is following the same rule as the player?
On bosses, yeah you're right. Fair point. I don't think the Nioh bosses behave that way either, but all the normal enemies do which I thought was extremely cool. I think it's the only action game I've played that even does that. It's not common at all.

It's possible to be balanced and fair without that, but I just thought it was a great example of how far Nioh went to try and make things feel brutal, but fair.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
That's my biggest turn off in new gow, i mean is there any fight so epic like Poseidon or even Cronos?

There isn't. I miss the epic scale of the past games. Really hate the new camera
Epic as in with that sense of scale that wows you? No. But mechanically, the Poseidon and Cronos fight aren't very good.

Still, I can't say that I wouldn't sacrifice one or two bosses' cool mechanics just for the sheer wow factor.

Danjin44

On bosses, yeah you're right. Fair point. I don't think the Nioh bosses behave that way either, but all the normal enemies do which I thought was extremely cool. I think it's the only action game I've played that even does that. It's not common at all.

It's possible to be balanced and fair without that, but I just thought it was a great example of how far Nioh went to try and make things feel brutal, but fair.
To me Sekiro is fair, my character is faster I have more tools than them also Sekiro is not online PVP game that everything needs to be super “balanced“, it’s about being victorious even if you are at disadvantage, that’s what’s fun about it.

Edit: Also even Fighting games not always super balance….just look at JP is SF6.

Last edited:

GinSama

Epic as in with that sense of scale that wows you? No. But mechanically, the Poseidon and Cronos fight aren't very good.

Still, I can't say that I wouldn't sacrifice one or two bosses' cool mechanics just for the sheer wow factor.
Yeah as wow factor, those fights may be not very good, but the combat as 3rd person is really stiff .... Hate that . And even a game that's is stiff like god hand is still my favorite game of all time as combat wise....

The new ones may be better but honestly it don't click with me....

Last edited:
I love Returnal and it’s my favorite Sony game. But it did not translate twin-stick shooting perfectly to 3D. You still have to aim freely and vertically with a stick instead of just rotate 360-degrees on a horizontal plane which is the whole reason twin-stick shooting is so great.
Now that The Ascent is on PS5 people can stop hating on it and try what I think is the perfect control style for third person shooting. They even managed to get cover shooting in there. Plays like a dream. One of the most underrated games I know.
I played 50 hours of Nex Machina prior to Returnal and what I meant by that is the general feel of nimble speed and movement rather than copying mechanics 1:1.

No offense but no shit you have to aim vertically etc. in 3D 😅. Returnal feels closer to Nex Machina, which was a flawlessly playing game imo, than any TPS it may resemble at first glance is where I'm coming from.

PS: But thank you for reminding me of The Ascent, I've wanted to try that. I didn't even catch that it was on PS5.

Last edited:
The biggest problem with both Spiderman games is that on harder difficulties the enemies take way too many hit to kill.

It makes you feel so much less powerful than if you play on easy and can three hit kill them.

I think I'm playing SM2 on Amazing? The third difficulty, it's challenging sure but it can get pretty annoying.

TLOU2, GoT, Spiderman, GoW, the list goes on and they all have amazing combat.

They need to show me a great modern FPS though, that would be very nice. But with COD running that show and it now being a MS first party title they must be looking at that surely? If they can recapture the glory days of Dice with BFBC2, BF3 and BF4 then they would have my cash easily. Those are some of the best FPS experiences I’ve ever had.

Damn, now I’m sad that Dice are a shadow of their former selves. How did they mess up 2042 so badly 😂
DICE will never do this again unless some miracle happens around their next Battlefield game from all of the industry veterans they put in charge of the franchise now such as Vince Zampella.

However I would love to see Embark (The real DICE) take the money from the finals and create a Battlefield killer.

But I couldn't agree more, Sony and Playstation need to give me one or two first party FPS games similar in scope and fidelity to Killzone 2 or MAG in a new graphics engine.

IMO they would absolutely obliterate the competition if they did that.

Fredrik

I played 50 hours of Nex Machina prior to Returnal and what I meant by that is the general feel of nimble speed and movement rather than copying mechanics 1:1.

No offense but no shit you have to aim vertically etc. in 3D 😅. Returnal feels closer to Nex Machina, which was a flawlessly playing game imo, than any TPS it may resemble at first glance is where I'm coming from.

PS: But thank you for reminding me of The Ascent, I've wanted to try that. I didn't even catch that it was on PS5.
Analog 3D aiming breaks the twin-stick awesomeness for me. Tbh I hate aiming with an analog stick, unless it’s 360-degrees push to the edge aiming. Input latency, acceleration, sensitivity, often low framerates. Aiming a reticle fast to a target that way will always be difficult compared to just bash the stick to the edge at the right direction like in twin stick shmups.

You absolutely need to try The Ascent, it was free on PS+, might still be there. It’s a good version from what I’ve seen, I played through it on Series X but played a bit on PS5 at the release to check out the haptics. It’s an action RPG though so not just pew pew like Housemarque’s games, still great and imo worth a much higher score than 6-7/10 or whatever the critics rated it. I had it on my GOTY list. Metroid Dread was there the same year too, not top down twin stick but similar 360-degree push to the edge aiming which is my thing, was my GOTY. 👌

T0minator

While playing God of War Ragnarok Valhalla I starting thinking how PlayStation 1st party games have some of the most rewarding, incredibly impressive combat in games today.

Valhalla really highlights how GoW is some of the best combat in gaming right now

Crayon

I've played horizon 1 & , and the first god of war and spiderman and all were very good by western standards and in very different ways. Horizon (a hooter, really. Like ratchet and clank, oh right I played that one too. Equally good.) is on the messier side but how and spiderman is tighter and how moreso.

Returnal is shooting but it's outstanding by any standard.

Last edited:
Top Bottom