• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG C1 OLED--Question

ParaSeoul

I'm buying a C1.

zl2OnKl.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So still no one bringing up the fact LG advise that you have to manually adjust your Black's if VRR is turned on, on a per game basis...

Like a major issue for black levels if you don't do this... and yet the average LG owner can't tell the difference and says "oh the picture is superior to anything I have ever seen", yeah... like colour blind people giving you advise on which colour to paint a strawberry.

This is a known issue because VRR unbalanced the whole picture when on and STILL DOES on LG flagship series unless you manually adjust it to fit the game. Of course while PS5 supports it, really it's more of an issue for Xbox Series X and PC if you have it plugged in (why use a panel that sucks with VRR on a PC?) as from my memory despite Sony declaring it's support I can't remember the last title to feature it.

For people that upgrade there TV every other year this won't be an issue, but if your buying for the console gen... well yeah will become an issue sooner or later.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

Me too

just ordered a 55 C1, arriving tomorrow
Putting on a desk so I'm going with the 48 inch one,wondering if i should just wait for whatever 42 inch OLED they launch next year but I'm not sure if it will be available in my region or if it is,just be A1 tier.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So still no one bringing up the fact LG advise that you have to manually adjust your Black's if VRR is turned on, on a per game basis...

Like a major issue for black levels if you don't do this... and yet the average LG owner can't tell the difference and says "oh the picture is superior to anything I have ever seen", yeah... like colour blind people giving you advise on which colour to paint a strawberry.

This is a known issue because VRR unbalanced the whole picture when on and STILL DOES on LG flagship series unless you manually adjust it to fit the game. Of course while PS5 supports it, really it's more of an issue for Xbox Series X and PC if you have it plugged in (why use a panel that sucks with VRR on a PC?) as from my memory despite Sony declaring it's support I can't remember the last title to feature it.

For people that upgrade there TV every other year this won't be an issue, but if your buying for the console gen... well yeah will become an issue sooner or later.

A minor issue at best. A complete non-issue for many. Still has superior PQ to whatever lcd you're trying to live with.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
A minor issue at best. A complete non-issue for many. Still has superior PQ to whatever lcd you're trying to live with.

You do realise the effect Black Level has on the entire picture right?

That infact no... if your black levels are shit you are infact going to have a worse PQ than an LCD...

because the huge improvement OLED brings to the table is in superior black levels... which is where a majority of it's high contrast ratio comes from... I'm not saying ALL OLED's suffer from this issue because they don't, its just that the C1 and CX DO suffer from this VRR issue that ruins the picture unless you adjust manually.

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

That infact no... if your black levels are shit you are infact going to have a worse PQ than an LCD...

because the huge improvement OLED brings to the table is in superior black levels... which is where a majority of it's high contrast ratio comes from... I'm not saying ALL OLED's suffer from this issue because they don't, its just that the C1 and CX DO suffer from this VRR issue that ruins the picture unless you adjust manually.
I would simply not use VRR.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Then you adjust manually. Or don't use it. Quite simple. Maybe it's a deal-breaker for you or some other person. No tv is perfect. Oled is simply the best option we have right now.

old-parts

The issue only manifests if you cannot maintain a solid 100-120fps at 120Hz, a major drop in FPS is needed to cause the gamma flicker. Why would you be attaching a crappy gaming PC to a very high end TV ?

For Xbox were some FPS is locked to 30/60 at 120Hz a value of -3 works for most games, and the exact same issue affects TV LCDs were PQ is far worse in VRR mode. In no way are OLED black levels with this adjustment equivalent or worse than LCD.

The only reason it became noticeable is because all monitor LCD's have garbage black levels and OLED exposed it once it got VRR support.

A dynamic gamma curve will solve the issue on future OLED's, LG are aware of it.

Last edited:

b0uncyfr0

Honestly that VRR black shimmering at 120 fps was one of my main concern's and honestly, i haven noticed a damn thing. Granted, i do sit about 2.5 metres away normally but get fairly close when i wanna admire my purchase and still then, i haven't seen any kinda flickering.

Its something so minor, and honestly ask yourself, are you gonna change that setting for each game every time you start playing? The answer for me is no, its frankly not worth the effort and time.

Last edited:
sorry to go off topic, but do any of you tv buffs know if my panasonic plasma is 60fps/hz. its over 10 years old model tx p50g30b. it says standard refresh rate is 50hz but enhanced is 600hz? that 600 must be marketing junk, i just want to know if i can get 60fps on it? i'll be getting a c1 in the next few weeks too

Last edited:

ParaSeoul

sorry to go off topic, but do any of you tv buffs know if my panasonic plasma is 60fps/hz. its over 10 years old model tx p50g30b. it says standard refresh rate is 50hz but enhanced is 600hz? that 600 must be marketing junk, i just want to know if i can get 60fps on it? i'll be getting a c1 in the next few weeks too
Have you tried connecting a console to it and seeing what it says?

Arioco

I'm not saying ALL OLED's suffer from this issue because they don't, its just that the C1 and CX DO suffer from this VRR issue that ruins the picture unless you adjust manually.

According to Vincent, whose video you're using to bring up this issue, yes, all OLED suffer from this and he claims he's measured it on LEDs too. Apparently the issue is less noticeable on LEDs because their blacks are not that black, but yep, pretty much every VRR compatible TV is suffering from this.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
According to Vincent, whose video you're using to bring up this issue, yes, all OLED suffer from this and he claims he's measured it on LEDs too. Apparently the issue is less noticeable on LEDs because their blacks are not that black, but yep, pretty much every VRR compatible TV is suffering from this.

Iv had flicker on my Samsung monitor due to VRR however there latest firmware fixed it and it hasn't shown up again.

There TV's also received the same fix and its one of the few models that seems to be able to use VRR without negative consequence. There new Neo QLED with Micro LED's I am lead to believe does not suffer from this either even with its much deeper blacks.

Shame for OLED however.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Welp, I just bought the C1. I chose it over the A80J because I don't trust Sony to implement the additional features they promised to a year ago.

I'm excited to get it setup, but I heard that the C1 will not have the best picture out of the box and will require calibration in order to get the best picture possible. Question for those with the C1: Do you recommend professional calibration or can I follow the general calibrations instructions on a site like rtings.com?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Welp, I just bought the C1. I chose it over the A80J because I don't trust Sony to implement the additional features they promised to a year ago.

I'm excited to get it setup, but I heard that the C1 will not have the best picture out of the box and will require calibration in order to get the best picture possible. Question for those with the C1: Do you recommend professional calibration or can I follow the general calibrations instructions on a site like rtings.com?
I came from a professionally calibrated plasma to the c1. I honestly can't see much of a difference. I'd go with the settings you see on rtings or perhaps the owner's thread on avs forums. These things are pretty damn accurate out of the box. Put it in cinema, filmmaker or isf, and you're 90 percent there.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I'm excited to get it setup, but I heard that the C1 will not have the best picture out of the box and will require calibration in order to get the best picture possible.

Considering this is the picture quality most of the people gushing about the TV will be using, I don't think you will have any issue with the out the box picture.

Ulysses 31

I wouldn't just blindly do what sites likes RTINGS say, learn what the settings do and settle with settings that most please your eyes.

Lognor

Banned
Ahh...that's interesting. I've done so much research between the C1 and A80J over the past month trying to decide between them and more than one outlet said the C1 requires some calibration out of the box. I'm not a videophile so I'll just use the out of the box settings and save the money on the professional calibration.

Arioco

Iv had flicker on my Samsung monitor due to VRR however there latest firmware fixed it and it hasn't shown up again.

There TV's also received the same fix and its one of the few models that seems to be able to use VRR without negative consequence. There new Neo QLED with Micro LED's I am lead to believe does not suffer from this either even with its much deeper blacks.

Shame for OLED however.

I own a PS5 so I've never experienced the issue myself, I was just quoting Vincent Teoh, who has spoken about the flickering on many occasions.

On the other hand the issue has been acknowledged not by LG, but the OLED Association itself, which means that it does affect every current OLED TV. I guess it's something they will work out in future models, but right now it seems to be a limitation of the OLED technology at a hardware level. As far as I know HDMI Forum is not done with HDMI 2.1 specs just yet.

https://www.oled-a.org/lgersquos-48rdquo-oled-attracting-game-monitor-buyers_9620.html

Gamma for OLED is optimised and fixed for 120 Hz by establishing a fixed charging time for OLED sub-pixels. VRR is used when the frame rate is less than 120 Hz. When the OLED TV uses framerates less than 120 Hz, the gamma curve is inconsistent with the frame rate. For example, a 40 Hz frame rate is longer than 120 Hz frame rate. Therefore, the lower frame rates results in sub pixels that are overcharged, causing flickering of dark grey images, which is noticeable for dark images rather than bright ones, because human eyes are more sensitive to low grey colours

hussar16

Nobody more than you. I own them all and wouldn't trade the oled in for anything. Watch Vincent teohs video comparing oled vs plasma.
its not arguing when you state facts. oled has worse motion then crt and plasma ,go argue with digital foundry .i also own oled sony and i know its negatives

Shame for OLED however.
As someone that returned two Samsung QN90As, I can tell you for a fact (outside of overall brightness) that it doesn't hold a candle to the LG C1 (which I now own). When it comes to raised black levels with VRR, LG still dominates. Samsung's tone mapping tends to be way the fuck off and it's local dimming is nerfed when in game mode. Does it still look good? Yes. Is there a lot more blooming and instances where the local dimming doesn't react fast enough? Yes and yes. I'd also like to add utilizing 120hz forces the Samsung to use even less picture processing. Your mileage may vary on how much you'll notice it and on what game though.

It certainly wasn't all bad. Bright scenes lookin incredible on the QN90A, but dark and mixed content tend to fall apart forcing the TV to rely on native contrast. Color is great too thanks to quantum dot but it needs a ton of tweaking to stop it from oversaturating and don't get me started on Samsung's tone mapping. Still a great TV overall. The main reason I returned two of them was due to absolutely fucking terrible dirty screen effect and vertical banding.

The C1 by comparison won me over with a clean screen (yay!), jaw dropping contrast, greater color accuracy out of box, and far superior motion handling. Brightness of the C1 seems damn good for my eyes too. As far as raised black levels in VRR, it's hard to tell. Maybe? I guess if it were bad enough I'd manually adjust it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I am saying this and get heavily criticized.
Vrr works perfectly fine on an oled but with HZ changing, the near black levels also change. That's why it can even look as flicker.
I've noticed it in resident evil 2. When playing on pc with vrr, when you change in game fps limiter 60-120-30, you can see black level changing

RafterXL

Two things about flickering and raised black levels. First, flickering rarely happens on my C1 and even when it does it's usually in menus of games, not during play. It happens when there are wild fluctuations in framerate. As for raised black levels with VRR, at no time does it "look like shit" and it's still better looking than ANY LED. The raised black levels effect LEDs as well and the reason you don't notice it is because black levels on LEDs are worse to begin with.

Raised blacks in VRR mode also affect LCD TVs as advanced LED zone dimming systems must be scaled down or disengaged in VRR mode where the TV synchronizes its refresh rate in real-time to match the frequency output from the PC or game console. It is, however, less visible on LCD TVs due to the generally poorer black levels.

Plus the C1/G1 models don't even have that setting that is in the video linked earlier, they have White/Black stability settings which I've changed exactly one time since I bought the tv because it's handled better than the previous models. You absolutely do not need to change it for every game you play.

Basically, the idea that these are huge problems with OLEDs and that LEDs are better because of VRR flickering or raised black levels is absurd.

I am saying this and get heavily criticized.
Vrr works perfectly fine on an oled but with HZ changing, the near black levels also change. That's why it can even look as flicker.
I've noticed it in resident evil 2. When playing on pc with vrr, when you change in game fps limiter 60-120-30, you can see black level changing
That's why you set your systems to 120hz and leave them alone.

Shtef

Can LG C1 do 4K/120/DolbyVision/VRR at the same time or some of the options needs to be turned off?

i have sony xf90 and if i want to use 120hz, i need to switch resolution from 4k to 1080p and i cannot use hdr.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
its not arguing when you state facts. oled has worse motion then crt and plasma ,go argue with digital foundry .i also own oled sony and i know its negatives
Oled doesn't have worse motion than plasma. You are completely wrong. Go watch Vincents video comparing oled and plasma. Educate yourself then come back.

Anyone else getting a white flash problem with their C1? Randomly it seems like there is a flash of white from the edges of the screen.

thatJohann

Well fuck me.

Just got my C1 delivered yesterday from Amazon with an OCT 2021 manufacture date. My PS5 does show me a message that HDCP 2.3 is not supported and it’s currently displaying HDCP 1.4….

Excess

I'm getting ready to consider a newer model, either the C1 or the upcoming C2. I currently have a B7, and now that I play my PC on the OLED, I'm looking to use G-Sync. I succinctly remember that the VRR black level issue was at the hardware level, though, and that that's why the temporary fix for the C1 had to be done at a software level. I'm wondering if I should wait for the C2 or scoop up a C1 for cheap on Black Friday.

Any thoughts from current C1 owners about having to constantly fiddle with the black levels in VRR?

Bergoglio

Well fuck me.

Just got my C1 delivered yesterday from Amazon with an OCT 2021 manufacture date. My PS5 does show me a message that HDCP 2.3 is not supported and it’s currently displaying HDCP 1.4….

Me too.

Bought it 3 days ago.

A firmware is coming in 2/3 weeks.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Me too.

Bought it 3 days ago.

A firmware is coming in 2/3 weeks.
fucking hell bad luck.
But stick with it. It's worth it !!!
One thing - if you are using tv audio speakers - be sure to disable atmos nd their ai audio pro... and be sure to reeable sound mode you like 10 times a day.
The tv just keeps fucking changing audio to game optimizer and I prefer cinema much more

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
fucking hell bad luck.
One thing - if you are using tv audio speakers - be sure to disable atmos nd their ai audio pro... and be sure to reeable sound mode you like 10 times a day.
The tv just keeps fucking changing audio to game optimizer and I prefer cinema much more
Get some external speakers? Maybe a small soundbar for your setup?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Get some external speakers? Maybe a small soundbar for your setup?
The TV have audio mode. I would still pipe sound through the tv...
And I sold my presonus e3.5 speakers because c1 speakers sound fucking fantastic in cinema audio mode. Like WTF these are TV speakers ?! there are 2x28watt speakers. And in cinema mode with disabled bullshit and bass boost (in ai settings) it sounds great. Honestly.
And for real real gaming I still just use sony pulse 3d. The dongle works great on pc. Then I don't care for speakers.

Btw. i opened the tv to check if technician connected everything correctly after he replaced my panel for green bright pixel few months ago.
It is super easy to open and replace parts.

BTW - THESE TVS ARE SERIOUSLY TOO THIN. Hard to not have one bent at least a little bit
z92A2PR.jpg

Last edited:
are you able to connect two bluetooth headphones at the same time and share the audio? Or will it only output to a single bluetooth headphone? We have a young child so my wife and I are exploring rocking headphones at night instead of having to read subtitles with every show lol

Last edited:
fucking hell bad luck.

Same. Is there no global control for this? AI Audio sounds like trash.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Same. Is there no global control for this? AI Audio sounds like trash.
SEttings are saved per sdr/hdr on each input.
But something is fucked and tv thinks it's smarter than it should be an every time it detects gsync, or game or something, it switches audio to trash game optimizer...
And yes. the AI audio sucks ass. disable it and dolby atmos if you use stereo.
Just do AI acustic tuning and enable bass boost. It's in AI menu... then switch back to cinema mode 50 fucking times a day

Top Bottom