• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Liam Hemsworth to replace Henry Cavill in The Witcher season 4

EDMIX

Cmon man, Henry carried the show.

You can't say his performance wasn't spot on.
With everything rest being shit I agree.

Season 4 is DoA.

I also hope mandalorian flops without Gina.

They'll do just fine, I think his performance was great but I doubt this has to do with that tbh.

Also not a fucking thing is going to happen to Mandalorian cause you are triggered bud lol I don't really know why people try so hard to force their views into shit like this.

You really think the majority what watch Star Wars give shit or even know who "gina" is or care? They care about Star Wars, her gone isn't going to hurt shit and I doubt it will make any dent in that shows future ratings. I'd say the change with Witcher is bigger, not cause anything is wrong with Hemsworth, but because the audience is use to someone else as the main lead.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Hey that's the dude from Westworld. Had no idea he was a Hemsworth.
Luke Hemsworth, I believe he is actually the Youngest
He also played Thor in the Play they had in Love & Thunder.
Which is a bit amusing.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned

Henry Cavill isnt that good actor to be honest​

He doesn't need to be, he looks and fits the part. Charisma is half of the acting.

geralt-rivia-from-the-witcher.jpg

Kacho

I remember people praising this show a couple years ago. Now it seems most hate it. What’s with the sudden turn?

To me it was always trash. I tried watching the first season on a couple occasions and couldn’t do it. Too much focus on side characters and distracting diversity casting. The sets were dreadful too.

Rykan

I remember people praising this show a couple years ago. Now it seems most hate it. What’s with the sudden turn?

To me it was always trash. I tried watching the first season on a couple occasions and couldn’t do it. Too much focus on side characters and distracting diversity casting. The sets were dreadful too.
It looks like a LARP. It's terribly low budget and all of it is mediocre. The only reason people give it any sort of attention is because it has the words The Witcher slapped on it. Name it anything else, and it would go completely ignored.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
If they’re going to change it why not just refocus the character altogether? Maybe make Gandolf the main character or something

Pimpbaa

I’m out. No way in hell do I want to watch this now. Going from Cavill to low-rent Chis Hemsworth is just mind bogglingly bad casting. Actual Chris Hemsworth would be massively better but probably too expensive. I’m in for Cavill playing more Superman tho, the dude was bred in a lab to play that part.

Tams

Huh. I was juet thinking that Cavill has his career locked in with Superman and The Witcher.

Considering he was the only think holding it together, perhaps it's for the best.

And hey, maybe now we'll get another The Man from U.N.C.LE. film.

Boneless

Henry is the witcher's carry, I'll simply treat season 3 as the last.

This will be just as succesful as the last season of house of cards.

I do wonder, why is Henry Cavil done? He loves Witcher, people love seeing him play as the Witcher. Does he not like the director?

Azurro

Banned
Is the casting actually that bad or people still upset triss was played by a different ethnicity? Because all the actors did a decent job.

You mess with my red head goddess, you mess with me. Stopped watching the show after generic diversity casting hire showed up as "Triss but not actually Triss. You should like me otherwise you are -ist, btw".

adamosmaki

Didn't the writers admitted they don't care about the books or the games. Probably Cavill left because he sensed this is going to be a train wreck.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Didn't the writers admitted they don't care about the books or the games. Probably Cavill left because he sensed this is going to be a train wreck.

Unsure if they admitted it but someone who was in the writing room and no longer works there said that writing rooms where "some" of the writers actively dislike and mock the source material is bad for moral and named the Netflix Witcher writing room as an example of this poor experience.

This is backed up by an earlier chain of tweets about how the writers where hired from the show runner herself.

Which said she went actively looking for people who would question the intent of the books.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Cavill carried the show, I agree.

The show itself is nothing to write home about, it has some cool action and Cavill's Geralt is spot on but the rest is decidedly average.

Its always the same with Netflix. They tried with Marco Polo, they ruined Altered Carbon because of inclusion, and now The Witcher just isn't up to snuff. If the Witcher was done by HBO, bet on it that it would've turned out better than it is now.

Season 2 is far worse with significantly more of the stuff you hate, and the writing took a huge nosedive in quality with glaring inconsistencies regarding the characters. I even guessed they barely based any of the second season on the books, and upon googling, i found out that .. well almost nothing is. Lmao. Only the first episode has snippets from the books, and the first episode is basically in another stratosphere in terms of quality compared to the rest. The rest of season 2 is just shit. That's why everyone hates it now.

I enjoyed most episodes of the first season and the dynamic between Henry and the guy playing Jaskier was fun to watch. A lot of memorable moments. I liked the songs a lot. I am also incredibly nostalgic about shows like Xena and Hercules, which Season 1 of The Witcher reminded me of, so that makes me like it even more.

I watched the first season twice. I gave up on the series after Season 2.

Henry is the witcher's carry, I'll simply treat season 3 as the last.

This will be just as succesful as the last season of house of cards.

I do wonder, why is Henry Cavil done? He loves Witcher, people love seeing him play as the Witcher. Does he not like the director?
I would of thought it has to be Superman related, given this news has appeared after the news he's back making Superman projects again. Problem is these shows take a lot of time to film and he wouldn't be able to do Superman as well. Also could be related to the script etc but he's done 3 seasons so I don't think that's the reason.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yyyyeah... pretty sure he wouldn't bail on this if the show was actually good. And it's not. It's mediocre at best because the stories are told in such a needlessly convoluted way that hardly any of it is compelling. With such a wealth of great material to draw upon, it should be an easiest job in the world to make a compelling show. They should replace these fucking show runners instead and do everything in their power to keep Henry on board, a.k.a. the only person involved who made it bearable and gave a shit.

Boneless

I would of thought it has to be Superman related, given this news has appeared after the news he's back making Superman projects again. Problem is these shows take a lot of time to film and he wouldn't be able to do Superman as well. Also could be related to the script etc but he's done 3 seasons so I don't think that's the reason.

I would expect Netflix would prefer to delay season 4 by a year than lose Henry though.

Shut0wen

Havnt seen the series but tbf Henry wasnt removed, he left on his own accord, more likely due to schedule conflicts since hes apparently in the new mission impossible films

hussar16

Makes sense.the showrunner hated the books and games and wanted to make the Witcher world connect to today's world .you want to do exactly the opposite when making a fantasy show . Henry cavill has ben very vocal about this and how botched the whole production is. It seems tht Netflix heads in charge hire for everything but the right reasons.politics seem to run all their decision making. It's real sad because this seems to be the case in every production these days. I knew Henry civil was not happy as Gerald, he actually lost alot of roles to play Gerald and they shit on him in the show

hussar16

In season 2 you could see Geralt for like 10% of the show in his own show. It was more about Ciri and Yennifer. So who cares Witcher series is not good.
Director showrunner wanted to connect the Witcher world with the modern world. Whatever that means. That's right instead of having us escape into a fantasy world of Witcher they want us to embrace the modern world

Denton

The Witcher should've been handled by HBO instead of Netflix.
Yes, but funnily enough, originally executive producer/director on the show was supposed to be Alik Sakharov, who directed 8 episodes of Game of Thrones, some of the best ones, but guess what? He left early because he hated the direction of the show Hissrich took it in. Seriously, fuck her. And fuck netflix for giving the job to her and her clown posse.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I really am struggling to understand why they haven't just cancelled this show.

Netflix never have a problem doing that with both dogshit and gold, so why are they going to keep this walking corpse going? No fucker is going to watch Poundshop Hemsworth.

I really am struggling to understand why they haven't just cancelled this show.

Netflix never have a problem doing that with both dogshit and gold, so why are they going to keep this walking corpse going? No fucker is going to watch Poundshop Hemsworth.
They still could, its been successful so far but without Cavil its probably not going to last beyond the 4th season.

Top Bottom