• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lies of P has the best combat system in the soulslike genre

Which one has the best combat system?

• Total voters

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
They have created the best combat system in this genre by combining Sekiro, Bloodborne, and the Dark Souls series. Truly incredible. I fear I won't experience the same taste in my next From Software game. What do you think about it?

Last edited:

Aion002

Nope, Nioh 1 and 2.

Combat gameplay wise Team Ninja is the king.

From this list: Elden Ring, because of the build variety, but Bloodborne is also amazing.

Dark Souls 3 is also great, but Elden Ring is just a huge upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, Lies of P is cool, but they can improve it a lot on the sequel.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Nope, Nioh 1 and 2.

Combat gameplay wise Team Ninja is the king.

From this list: Elden Ring, because of the build variety, but Bloodborne is also amazing.

Dark Souls 3 is also great, but Elden Ring is just a huge upgrade.

Don't get me wrong, Lies of P is cool, but they can improve it a lot on the sequel.
Updated the list.

winjer

Gold Member
I prefer Elden Ring, by the amount of variety of builds we can choose. The amount of weapons, amulets, spells, etc, means there are many viable playstyles.
I enjoyed Lies of P, but sometimes, it weighed too much on the parry system.

Never played Bloodbourn, so I can't judge it.
I played Wo Long for an hour, but optimization was so piss poor, I gave up on it.

Last edited:

GrayChild

Lies of P does have a better combat system than the first 2 Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. Everything else made by FROM is still better.

Yet Lies of P along with Nioh are the best Soulslikes made by other devs.

If I have to choose one game that trumps every other, it's Sekiro. Not even a contest.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I know the love for Bloodborne in this forum, but I would've expected you to vote without considering the nostalgia factor. Does this parry system make it the best combat mechanics in a Soulslike game?

I understand those who mention Sekiro, but in my opinion, Lies of P stands out because it incorporates elements from the Bloodborne, Sekiro and Dark Souls games, blending them together perfectly. Although it's been a while since I played Sekiro, I believe that having multiple methods to defeat enemies, rather than relying solely on parrying, is a formula that advances the Souls genre.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Of the 4 originally listed, Bloodborne is in my opinion the best (and my vote), although in truth its the least intricate of them as most battles simply boil down to figuring out which direction you circle the target in order to avoid taking too much damage. Its a great system because its so offensively focussed.

Nioh 2 on the other hand is the all-time king for me because there are so many factors to consider. If you appreciate complexity, its unbeatable.

Wo Long is very fun to play, but is clearly stripped back and simplified to be based around the counter mechanic. A sequel showing the same sort of iteration as Nioh 2 did over the first Nioh could be really special, as the similarities in terms of strengths and weaknesses between the two games systems are very obvious. Simplest way to describe the difference for people who haven't put in hundreds of hours in these games is that in Nioh/Wo Long ultimately you end up with a system that's burst-attack focussed, whereas Nioh 2 is more about controlling the flow.

Kurotri

Lies of P is excellent, but no. There were multiple times throughout the game where I thought the visual feedback would trick me into blocking earlier than I was supposed to, and I never felt that frequency in From's games. Atleast, that's how I felt. Sekiro's combat is king, it genuinely makes you feel like someone who can dance with blades.

Just recently got into the Nioh games. Holy shit those games have the best melee combat ever created, and it's not even particularly close. I rarely play new game+ but I happily hopped into Nioh 1+2 NG+ and the DLC's. Over 200hrs between the 2 games the past couple months. Addicting af. This franchise should be bigger than Diablo

Last edited:
  • Love
I dislike that the whole die and retrieve your shit action games get a special category. With respect to action, I would still rather play Ninja Gaiden Sigma or Devil May Cry 3 any day of the week.

I still like Bloodborne better than Lies of P due to being able to interrupt enemy attacks in the middle of an animation through shear intensity, rally mechanic to recover health, blood bullet mechanic to recover special ability, fullly charged attacks having extra damage/animations, stacking blood gems/Caryll runes, and the absurdly versatile parry/bullet mechanic. Also, I find the selection of weapons to be more interesting.

I have come around to preferring Lies of P combat to Nioh 2 (an improved sequel) as I find it more engaging in the heat of the moment and the enemies to be more interesting. It feels less like dueling (with a large arsenal) and more like dancing around or weathering the storm of an opponent to strike in style and lesser enemies are less of a snooze as you become stronger. Also, the better level design and limited inventory management are greatly appreciated. That goes double for Wo Long.

Even with better combat than Demon/Dark Souls and Elden Ring there is less variety and fewer approaches to most challenges. Sometimes it feels like treading water in a deep kiddy pool when I want to putz around in a large shallow lake.

P.S. I cannot describe in words how much I despise having to play an action game like Sekiro as designated by game designers. Also, it is not a souls-like.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Bloodborne is unbeatable but I can put sekiro in the same shelf... the problem is sekiro dosent have classic souls combat . So my vote is Bloodborne

The true crime is we will probably get a sequel to dog shit mainstream open world snooze fest Elden Ring before we ever see something new for bloodborne.

Last edited:

Lux R7

imho Nioh titles and Sekiro are not souls-like, they just don't feel the same.
The pure action and the action rpg genres exist outside the Souls-like umbrella (for example Dragon's Dogma is an action rpg but not a souls-like).

That said, yeah Lies of P has amazing combat.

imho Nioh titles and Sekiro are not souls-like, they just don't feel the same.
The pure action and the action rpg genres exist outside the Souls-like umbrella (for example Dragon's Dogma is an action rpg but not a souls-like).

That said, yeah Lies of P has amazing combat.
Picking up loot after death, going from shrine to shrine, no easier difficulty levels, wide range of weapons, deep RPG character traits, and tough boss encounters define the genre. Sekiro, I somewhat agree because limited RPG elements and no picking up loot after death, but the Nioh games are much closer to Dark Souls than DMC or the Bayonetta games

Last edited:

Lux R7

Picking up loot after death, going from shrine to shrine, no easier difficulty levels, wide range of weapons, deep RPG character traits, and tough boss encounters define the genre.

yes, the action-rpg genre, even with one or two mechanics taken from Dark Souls. However, the most important thing for me is the feeling. playing Nioh or Nioh 2 doesn't feel like playing any other souls game. Playing, say, Lords of the Fallen or Lies of P, feels a lot more like playing Dark Souls.

Now you can disagree and it's fine.

Aenima

Did not played Sekiro, Lies of P and Wo Long yet, but from all the others Bloodborne by a wide margin. It was the soulsborne game where i actually had a lot of fun with the combat once you get confortable with the dodges and i frames.

cireza

Team Ninja are always the ones making the best action combat. Didn't play Nioh games as they are not on Xbox, but Wo Long was excellent and so was Ninja Gaiden 3 RE.

Last edited:
Didn't play Nioh games as they are not on Xbox, but Wo Long was excellent and so was Ninja Gaiden 3 RE.
NG3: RE is the very worst of the reboot series if the abysmal original release of NG3 is not considered. It makes Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma look like Shakespeare and that was a badly altered port.

Last edited:

Aion002

yes, the action-rpg genre, even with one or two mechanics taken from Dark Souls. However, the most important thing for me is the feeling. playing Nioh or Nioh 2 doesn't feel like playing any other souls game. Playing, say, Lords of the Fallen or Lies of P, feels a lot more like playing Dark Souls.

Now you can disagree and it's fine.
It's because Nioh is so much more complex and evolved compared to everything else, that indeed they seem too different.

Most people play Nioh, finish the game and that's it, but the first run is basically a tutorial, the real game starts when the new difficulties are unlocked, each one giving more building options and requiring more and more of the player skills and that's the main difference... Mastering Nioh is a complete different thing to mastering any other souls games.

Nioh, like Ninja Gaiden, is quite complex, which unfortunately works against it, since most player's don't want to mastery a game.... And since the level design of Nioh is quite inferior compared to most other souls like games, the combat unfortunately isn't praised enough.

It's basically the same stuff that happend on DMC vs Ninja Gaiden vs God of War vs Bayonetta... They're all kinda the same type of game, is just that Ninja Gaiden is more complex (and in my opinion better because of that), while others have other good things that Ninja Gaiden lacks.

Anyway, a game made by Team Ninja and From Software, each working on their strengths, would be the best thing ever.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

Lies of P was great, but not quite up with the FromSoft beasts. Pretty close, though! A bit dodgy parry system, otherwise pretty much as close as it gets.
I also like the Nioh games (and Wo Long) a lot, but nothing beats the FromSoft games for me.
The weight of the combat is the number one thing that others seems to struggle a bit to replicate.

RE gameplay is excellent and highly demanding. It is super responsive and a personal favorite.
It is a great downgrade of everything found in Ninja Gaiden 2 with great versatile mechanics stripped and worse situational ones added. Sometimes basic acrobatics that worked effortlessly in 2 also get nerfed into being quicktime events. Not to mention many really poorly designed enemies and environments being reduced to hallways.

Lies of P was great, but not quite up with the FromSoft beasts. Pretty close, though! A bit dodgy parry system, otherwise pretty much as close as it gets.
I also like the Nioh games (and Wo Long) a lot, but nothing beats the FromSoft games for me.
The weight of the combat is the number one thing that others seems to struggle a bit to replicate.
Probably because most FromSoft games seem to be operating at ~5x Earth gravity. Why else would a greatsword be swung like a tree trunk?

Last edited:

Lux R7

It's because Nioh is so much more complex and evolved compared to everything else, that indeed they seem too different.

Most people play Nioh, finish the game and that's it, but the first run is basically a tutorial, the real game starts when the new difficulties are unlocked, each one giving more building options and requiring more and more of the player skills and that's the main difference... Mastering Nioh is a complete different thing to mastering any other souls games.

Nioh, like Ninja Gaiden, is quite complex, which unfortunately works against it, since most player's don't want to mastery a game.... And since the level design of Nioh is quite inferior compared to most other souls like games, the combat unfortunately isn't praised enough.

It's basically the same stuff that happend on DMC vs Ninja Gaiden vs God of War vs Bayonetta... They're all kinda the same type of game, is just that Ninja Gaiden is more complex (and in my opinion better because of that), while others have other good things that Ninja Gaiden lacks.

Anyway, a game made by Team Ninja and From Software, each working on their strengths, would be the best thing ever.

I can agree with everything you said, Nioh is a different game, a more complex action RPG, still not a souls-like in my opinion.
They don't just "look" different, they are.
Now again, this is how i see it, just my opinion having played these games.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I think parry system is great on this one. It made me feel like playing Sekiro.

cireza

It is a great downgrade of everything found in Ninja Gaiden 2 with great versatile mechanics stripped and worse situational ones added. Sometimes basic acrobatics that worked effortlessly in 2 also get nerfed into being quicktime events. Not to mention many really poorly designed enemies and environments being reduced to hallways.
Despite everything you say, this is a game I largely prefer to the first two, Sigma or not.

bender

What time is it?
I don't think Lies of P's enemies or bosses are interesting enough for it to make that claim. The game also felt a little one note to me with how parry heavy it is.

Don Carlo

Yep, knew it I wasn't the only one. Somehow, Bloodborne has the best combat system for me. Glad to see the majority of Neo agrees with me too.

simpatico

I've been really good about not bashing Lies of P, but threads like this make it hard. To mention in the same breath as From games when talking about the technical details of combat is a fucking unforgivable sin. The sloppa is rotting our guy's brains. (Lies of P is not quite sloppa, but I'm chalking up exposure to sloppa as the reason someone would over rate Lies of P)

Tried getting into Lies of P three times and it just doesn't stick. The movement isn't fluid enough.
Nioh 1/2 combat feels too rigid and I don't like button combos.

Fromsoft is the best because the combat so intuitive and simple to control. Depth comes from understanding the movesets rather than the inputs.

Last edited:

Lions Gate

you fucking joking right?

from software sekiro GIF

Honestly surprised that bloodborne's winning. It's fun but it's definitely the most basic combat system.

You only really need to master dodging and r1 spam to beat the game. You can't even block, the rally mechanic is useful but not necessary.

Does seem to show that a good majority of players don't seem to care about complexity or depth in combat systems.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
6 votes for Lies of P? Come on guys, we should at least a "dozen". I can understand who voted for Sekiro and Nioh/Wo long, but I don't believe those who voted for Bloodborne or other games actually played Lies of P or Sekiro. Last second parry, especially multiple ones in seconds, is the way. From Software should bring Sekiro mechanics to their games going forward.

Top Bottom