• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Light got caught while having a Death Note because the plot demanded him to be

A.Romero

Wasn't he making sure to show a pattern as a warning for criminals so they would stop? He intended the legend of Kira to exist.

It's been a while but if I remember correctly, L set up a trap for him and Light fell for it (killing a guy passing as L on Japanese TV). If Light didn't fell for that, L would have repeated the live transmissions in other places in the world. He was expecting the culprit to do a display of power.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Wasn't he making sure to show a pattern as a warning for criminals so they would stop? He intended the legend of Kira to exist.

It's been a while but if I remember correctly, L set up a trap for him and Light fell for it (killing a guy passing as L on Japanese TV). If Light didn't fell for that, L would have repeated the live transmissions in other places in the world. He was expecting the culprit to do a display of power.
If I remember correctly, Kira being a god figure happened later in the story. They created a lolt of loopholes for Kira to be a suspect, in real world you must be really dumb to fall for all of that.

A.Romero

If I remember correctly, Kira being a god figure happened later in the story. They created a lolt of loopholes for Kira to be a suspect, in real world you must be really dumb to fall for all of that.

In the real world it wouldn't be an issue because a Death Note wouldn't exist. They did create a lot of situations for confrontations to happen, otherwise the story wouldn't advanced or it would be boring.

That said, I'm not fresh on the details. It's been a while. But I'm almost sure that once Light understood how it worked he decided to kill everyone in the same fashion showing a pattern as a warning. If Light wasn't such an egocentric tool he would have been able to do much more without getting caught. For example he could have killed people as suicides and more traditional sickness. He could have also paced his killings differently or even be more picky about his victims. For example killing criminals that committed murder. Instead he pretty much went into a killing spree in a pretty clear pattern (time of killings and cause of death were the main clues for L to suspect somebody was behind it).

I think the whole series has Light's narcissistic nature painted as his main weakness and vulnerability. He wanted to be adored, not just save the world. I kind of remember he imagined himself as an actual god. That's what turns him into a villain instead of a hero with a great power.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Death Note was such garbage lol.

"I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DO THAT"
"WELL I KNEW THAT YOU KNEW"
"I KNEW THAT YOU WOUOLD KNOW SO I MADE IT LOOK LIKE I DIDN"T KNOW YOU KNEW SO THAT ONLY I KNOW"
"ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU"
part of the charm!

brap

Banned
Death Note was such garbage lol.

"I KNEW YOU WERE GOING TO DO THAT"
"WELL I KNEW THAT YOU KNEW"
"I KNEW THAT YOU WOUOLD KNOW SO I MADE IT LOOK LIKE I DIDN"T KNOW YOU KNEW SO THAT ONLY I KNOW"
"ALL ACCORDING TO KEIKAKU"

ZC5eSV5.png

Lrnex

It’s been ages, but if I recall correctly, Light was super full of himself and wanted to be there in person to witness the utter defeat of the last batch of his enemies. Near was aware of that and used his hubris against him.

A.Romero

Not saying Death Note has the best writing around but it's appealing and entertaining. Some people that are not usually into anime liked it and I think that's a great achievement.

Characters did behave in a way that could be illogical but it was always within what the character was supposed be. Yes, characters "guessed" what others would do but that was the whole appeal. I mean, very similar stuff happens in BBC's Sherlock Holmes and it's regarded as a really good show (I think?). Specially in the episodes related to Moriarty.

I have found that the only way a show can be truly unpredictable is if they can take routes that could be seen as illogical. It's hard to write something exciting with that length without taking some liberties.

All in all, I'm willing to sacrifice perfectly consistent and logical writing for something to be entertaining.

You must be really dumb to get caught, when you just have to write some names sitting at home.

Not only did light make a bunch of plot determined stupid mistakes, L was waaaaay too insightful. He honed in on the profile of light immediately. I liked the show but L had me rolling my eyes back into my head multiple times.

GymWolf

In real life it's impossible to be catched just because police never gonna believe that a book can kill people, simple as that.

Top Bottom