• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Little Witch Academia TV |OT| Season 2 up on Netflix Aug 15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little Witch Academia TV 25 END

Little Witch Academia is something that Trigger felt like they had to make, but nobody actually had any real desire or motive for it. I really don't feel like it added anything worth adding from the OVA. When its not stretching that OVA's content to the breaking point over 20 episodes with very little changes to the script, its introducing half-baked ideas that either don't go anywhere or are flat out McGuffins so that a story can happen. A lot like Kill la Kill, the best episode was the Sucy one that had nothing to do with the actual plot and was just goofy side adventures. The ending just feels like something I saw 10 years ago in an actual good show with good character buildup and a purpose. And then I saw it again 3 years ago and it wasn't as good as that. They also decided they needed to do Madoka and Dragon Ball Z in there too. I'm sure people will be satisfied because its another gigantic bombastic finale (against an enemy that doesn't even have anything to root against because its just a magic missile) but how many times can they pull the same trick in a less effective manner before it just becomes noise?

Why does Trigger do this to me? Please stick to shorts.

Honestly the only thing I was disappointed with was that
Akko didn't reconnect with Chariot in this last episode. I suppose Trigger didn't think it was necessary after they somewhat tied the bow on it in the last episode, but I would have rather seen another moment between them than all of those shots of the "situation room."

Otherwise, it was a solid ending to a strong second half, and the action animation was very well done.
Also, Akko flying was so surprising that Constanze spoke LOL

sinonobu

Banned
Man that ending was kinda bummer.

I felt like last few episodes were bit too rushed and they could of paced it better by either extending the overall lenght of the show or removing some of the filler episodes.

But regardless still loved the show and excited to see what Trigger will bring us next!!!

Aki-at

Little Witch Academia - 25

A spectacle without a meaning, a frenzy of great animated segments with style and flash but no substance. It's something I feel a bit mixed on, I enjoted everything I watched but it sort of lacked any sort of "punch" to what I was watching unfold to leave an impact. The team up with the girl's that ends up with everyone just pushing Akko and Diana on (Both Lotte and Sucy become background characters by the end it's disappointing) didn't really sit too well with me. It was still a quite bombastic finale and about what I've come to expect from Trigger but it was missing something to be a memoriable conclusion.

In the end Little Witch Academia doesn't live up to it's previous OVA counterpart with too many misses compared to hits that leaves much to be desired, that's not to say it's great episodes aren't something special to see but there just wasn't enough of them in the series for me. 6/10

Still hyped for Trigger's next show!

What an ending indeed. More than makes up for the lacklustre earlier episodes. Would love a slice of life Season 2.

Biggest gripes with the series is the wasted potential and unresolved plot holes (remember the torn page in the Blue Moon episode?). Also the writing is fairly iffy at points, with very heavy reliance on exposition even for obvious details the viewer could have picked up on their own. Chariot and Croix needed more screentime.

8/10

Now I need to go and purchase more merchandise. Hopefully they'll have some Croix stuff by now.

Actually Im hoping for a Young Croix Nendroid. And a Tiny Shiny Nendroid.

ionitron

The last half of the last episode was actually really good IMO, but overall the show was mostly okay.

Weird to me that Diana became that integral to the story in the end because I feel like her dynamic with Akko should have been more fleshed out, I feel like they kinda elevated her above Sucy and Lotte without more screen time in between aside from the talk they had in the episode where Diana found Akko in the snow? I dunno, it felt a little tacked on in the last episode. I love Diana though, just wondering if anyone else agrees.

Laiza

Definitely felt like a 7/10 anime, 5 being an "average" on my scale. (I'll note that just not having eye-searing "fanservice" automatically gives it a free point. They even avoided giving a panty shot when Akko and Diana were falling from the sky at the end!)

There were a lot of slow 'nothing' episodes in the middle that I felt could have been handled better. It was good that they gave screen time to a decent chunk of the side characters, but even those episodes often didn't feel like they fleshed them out enough (and Jasminka straight-up got skipped over, heh). I feel like the final episode should actually have been the end of the first cour, and the second cour should have been focused on all the shenanigans they get up to afterwards, with a lot more character-focused episodes there. But then, the second cour wouldn't have had a bombastic Trigger-style finale, so I guess this was inevitable.

I still really want a second season that goes back to what made the OVAs so much fun. The series still has a ton of untapped potential in it, and I want to see them take a stab at realizing it.

mugwhump

Overall an 8.5/10 for me. Inconsistent, yes, but when it was good, it was really good.

Anyway, I guess it's out on Netflix now.

VVW9U2T.jpg

Looks like we'll have to change the thread title.

watch the OVAs. The animation is way better and theyre standalone. I like the series and it does a lot of character specific things better than the OVAs (obviously as a result of its longer run time). However, it didn't reach the same level of charm for me for kinda the same reason. This show with less filler and more character growth/ world building would have been incredible. And it's still good, but i think Kill La Kill was more consistently good until it ended.

LotusHD

Banned
watch the OVAs. The animation is way better and theyre standalone. I like the series and it does a lot of character specific things better than the OVAs (obviously as a result of its longer run time). However, it didn't reach the same level of charm for me for kinda the same reason. This show with less filler and more character growth/ world building would have been incredible. And it's still good, but i think Kill La Kill was more consistently good until it ended.

Oh, easily.

Kill la Kill saved anime but LWA was still pretty good

Trigger's animation is just delightful to watch. LWA is my kind of fantasy and world but Kill La Kill was definitely a stronger season.

Nevertheless, the OVAs and TV show are going to get some mad rewatching from me at one point or another. I don't remember how many times I watched the first one when it came out.

Unbounded

Didn't that final fight have them fighting in space lol?

Yep. And? As far as finals went it was still pretty bland.

Hilarious and accurate, but full of spoilers - especially the bottom image.

I liked the ending. I guess you can't top Giant Mecha fighting on top of GALAXIES tho

You don't have to top it, just handle it better. The ending here just had them fighting a sentient nuke and it was still a hell of a spectacle.

LotusHD

Banned
Yep. And? As far as finals went it was still pretty bland.

Well opinions and all I guess, I found it a more memorable and emotional spectacle than how this ended.

Part of it is because they didn't do a good enough job developing most of the characters, so seeing them all team up fell pretty flat for me. I liked the very end where she's finally flying, but that's about it.

Meffer

So not only did Netflix not simulcast the episodes and now isn't uploading both seasons they also fucked up the translation as well. ”Your belief in yourself is what makes up your magic" is weird sounding as fuck. There's even a card physically featured in the anime that literally says ”A believing heart is your magic" in English text.
tumblr_inline_ose7fyWvNK1qi5jga_540.png

If that's not a sign for further shit translation I don't know what is.

Looks like Trigger isn't happy with Netflix either with how they handled it's release outside Japan, and they know people had to watch it illegally if they wanted to watch the show.

It's too bad. I deliberately held off on watching the show and wait for the Netflix release but it looks like they bungled it.

O well, time to watch best girl Ursula

xequalsy

So not only did Netflix not simulcast the episodes and now isn't uploading both seasons they also fucked up the translation as well. “Your belief in yourself is what makes up your magic” is weird sounding as fuck. There’s even a card physically featured in the anime that literally says “A believing heart is your magic” in English text.
If that's not a sign for further shit translation I don't know what is.

Looks like Trigger isn't happy with Netflix either with how they handled it's release outside Japan, and they know people had to watch it illegally if they wanted to watch the show.

Wait, so they won't ever upload the rest of this series? Or is there some delay?

Finished the series today and... the final battle was nice looking, but overall, I'm really disappointed by the direction this series went in. Given Sucy's appearance in Space Patrol Luluco, and her early focus episodes, I figured they realized that Akko was the weakest part and would focus more on the side characters. Nope, it's nothing but Akko and Diana. There were fun episodes mixed in there, but many were boring and in the end, it didn't link together well.

I just fired this up on Netflix. Is the first episode exactly the first movie (or whatever you want to call it)? Should I skip to episode 2 or is it different?

Superflat

Now that I have some time, I can binge watch this!

Absolutely loved the two short Trigger made. It captured me more than almost any big anime title of the past few years. Trying not to have huge expectations for it since the general reception seems to be C to B (mixed/average to average/good), but still pretty excited.

Roubjon

I just finished it and loved the ending. The show obviously had faults, but to me it was one of the better shows I've seen recently. The characters and animation made up for everything else.

So I haven't been able to check out the official Netflix subs yet, but I hear a lot of sentiment that they really pale in comparison to the fansubs.

Other than the Shiny Chariot catchphrase, has anyone seen any 1:1 comparison screenshots, or even lines of text that are good examples?

Something along the lines of those fire emblem comparison screenshots would be perfect, but transcribed individual line would be great too.

I heard one of the major shortcomings of the netflix subs are translations of the latin and mythological names.

PaulBizkit

can't believe i JUST found this thread... I thought everybody was at the anime general OT.

Anyways, LWA, SnK, Maid Dragon and BnhA are among the best shows this year. Loved every episode.

second part > first part

Sorry, but I need a more concrete progression and clear objectives. If it was a SoL, I would've dropped it for sure after a while. Let's hope for another season

/XX/

So not only did Netflix not simulcast the episodes and now isn't uploading both seasons they also fucked up the translation as well. ”Your belief in yourself is what makes up your magic" is weird sounding as fuck. There's even a card physically featured in the anime that literally says ”A believing heart is your magic" in English text.
What makes it funnier is that it has been the catchphrase since the first inception of the franchise; the original project of which its BD release included the 112 Page Official Book, with an 'obi' on it that said on big capital letters "NEVER FORGET, A BELIEVING HEART IS YOUR MAGIC", verbatim. Brushing away that acceptation apparently ignores the prior history of the very same work they've supported since long ago on their VOD platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom