• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury |OT| This witch rides a Gundam (Up: Season 2 now airing!)

Season 2 OP ("slash" by yama)

Also, the new ED is "Red:birthmark" by Aina the End

I'm so glad Witch it back! This episode had some interesting setup. And man, seeing Sophie in the school setting was super adorable to me lol (and I'm also building a kit of her Gundam right now, Lfrith Ur).

End card:

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Such a pain that I'm unable to find the TV Size of the OP on Youtube, lol. I don't want to rewind the episode or visit Twitter just to view it. Oh well.

Sophie and Norea joining the Academy will lead to some fun interactions, although it seems short lived. I can't blame them with the circumstances regarding Earthians. MioMio is cute, as always, but what is Prospera's motive for getting her on Quiet Zero? I still don't think she cares one bit for Suletta.

EDIT: Also, OP more or less seems to confirm Eri is indeed Aerial. And looks like Number 4 may be around and still be able to replace current Elan.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

i didn't much care for unicorn, but i loved iron blooded orphans. what is this one more like?
I would say neither, but it's an AU series like IBO which means you can jump into it without prior knowledge unlike Unicorn which has the entire Universal Century timeline and events behind it. Definitely worth a try though.

Blade2.0

I would say neither, but it's an AU series like IBO which means you can jump into it without prior knowledge unlike Unicorn which has the entire Universal Century timeline and events behind it. Definitely worth a try though.
I have seen all of the UC stuff, but Unicorn still didn't gel well with me.

Fbh

Does the highschool crap stick around for the whole show?

Heard some positive buzz about it and watched the first episode but since it seemed like Gundam Highschool I instantly bailed

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Does the highschool crap stick around for the whole show?

Heard some positive buzz about it and watched the first episode but since it seemed like Gundam Highschool I instantly bailed
Haven't watched the new episode yet, but the last two episodes kind of moved away from the high school stuff.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I see why everyone was calling Guel the protagonist after this.
Poor guy, I hope you find happiness at the end of this road.

YukiOnna

fTu5GCb.jpg

lachesis

Guel's definitely my fav character in the series so far. Hope he gets some happiness in the end.
Thing about this is how convoluted the storytelling is. Right now there are so many characters - fan girls of each group's leader and all the characters that come and go like crazy, that I am getting confused on who is who, or am I supposed to know all of them, just like that, with all that lingo/words. I'm just watching and trying to make sense of what's going on or what each characters motives are... It is interesting for it's own merit - but feel like the storytelling is way too busy in all over the place. Other than that - am interested how things will pan out - as it seems it finally moved a bit past to that high school duel.

I was pretty underwhelmed the 1st episode of the 2nd Cour, as it felt like they just went back to the high school duel thing, but 2nd EP and 3rd EP picked up some excitement + even more confusion for my poor old brain. LOL...

S2 Episode 4

BASED PROSPERA. Also I'm pretty sure she just confirmed that Lfrith was rebuilt as Aerial.

EL5N GOT BTFO BY ERI LMAO. Guess she liked El4n more.

SuleMio reunion but man, Suletta really has something going on. Brainwashing? And Mio being fierce and confronting Prospera.

End card:

Last edited:

YukiOnna

There's something definitely whack about Suletta from Prospera's end. Eri can only do so much, as well.
She really doesn't care about Suletta at all. I see no out from them for MioMio's end, as well.

The only upside was Guel's return. He is a true outsider and hopefully he's going to be running for the President seat, he's also in direct opposition of Shaddiq given his current circumstances.

Last edited:

NecrosaroIII

Shows flow is kind of interesting. Season 2 seems to be a deconstruction of the ideas that were established in one. Especially the battle Royale part. Kind of cook.

Season 2 Episode 5

Jesus, that was heartbreaking to watch...fuck.

End card:

Also there's no new episode next week, looks like they're doing a recap.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Bruh can these two get a fair duel? It's very clear it would be a close entertaining match up... Especially since the air has cleared around them for a long time now.
That aside, it's a depressing ending since it's not exactly an enjoyable win here. MioMio is well intentioned and Guel understood that, but you're taking her Sister away and found out her best friend was involved...

Great depiction of Guel overcoming his trauma though, acknowledging your weakness is also a strength.

Looks a lot like Sazabi actually

This Darilbalde upgrade is indeed pretty awesome.

I really hope the new equipment comes in an option set (along with Pharact's new guns and Michaelis' lance) for the HG kit. But knowing Bandai, it'll be a whole new kit and probably a P-Bandai exclusive.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
yY7IJ0w.jpg

Honestly hilarious episode, a little sad they can't just have a main character legitimately lose to a motivated rival and have that be the spur for character growth. No instead the always OP main character must lose due to deceit and betrayle.

With the way this played out it feels like both characters got fucked over by this. Not cool.

This is why when you read about Johnny Ridden going up against Char and losing, its more intresting, because Johnny tried his best and still lost, no BS no behind the scene fuckery, and this allowed for growth as a pilot.

Last edited:

lachesis

Never really liked Suletta's personality much in the 1st season, so I'm glad that she's finally getting some real chance to grow up from that manipulative mother. (So creepy)
Last ep's her declaration of how she'll do everything her mom tells her to do, I just started really get tired of overgrown baby act...

I guess I will only have to see the girl sulk for next couple of episodes and then we'll see how she'll overcome her broken heart and stand up her own.

Guel the man.

If Prospera told Suletta to give up Aerial and break up with Miorine, she would likely obey with some reluctance.

The intention might have been to push Suletta away from the political conflicts (and Prospera) but this could possibly make her even more dependent on her mom unless her mom is also "done" with her.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Never really liked Suletta's personality much in the 1st season, so I'm glad that she's finally getting some real chance to grow up from that manipulative mother. (So creepy)
Last ep's her declaration of how she'll do everything her mom tells her to do, I just started really get tired of overgrown baby act...

I guess I will only have to see the girl sulk for next couple of episodes and then we'll see how she'll overcome her broken heart and stand up her own.

Guel the man.

I mean I think it's pretty obvious that there is a Bioshock "would you kindly..." situation.

As her mother always says the one step back two step forward thing before giving her a command. And how Suletta reacts whenever anyone else says it.

Suletta feels very close to a generation 2 Cyber-Newtype where she has been enhanced, broken and brainwashed to keep her in check with a code phrase. And Gundam really loves to reuse ideas from prior series, especially UC.

Last edited:
Season 2 Episode 6

More reveals, more heartbreak.

But I thought about something I said to my discord after the previous episode, I wanted to share it. It was a drunk thought but hell, might be a good one, especially after this episode.

"Prospera/Elnora has done nothing wrong. It's just that we feel bad for Suletta."

Something to consider. Also, this episode provided solid proof that Lfrith was rebuilt into Aerial.

End card:

Last edited:
SPOILER_nHAWf8BZejKtxGv0xMdg6.png

It's funny how everyone seems to care about Suletta but their way of expressing it is alienation. Maybe it will be a learning experience for her not to depend on validation from others.

lachesis

Talking about some mother figure. Urgh! Poor girl, Suletta. I am still not 100% with her, but I do feel sorry for her how.

Season 2 Episode 8

pain Pain PAIN

SENSELESS DEATH

I just can't right now.

RIP Norea and Petra

End card:

EDIT: WTF WITH THIS TIMING

International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is a United Nations observance held on June 4

Last edited:
Season 2 Episode 10

An actual fencing duel, we're totally Utena now.

REUNION LETS GO

And we get the debut of Gundam Calibarn, and you have to see it. Especially it's weapon/thruster unit, legit looks like a witch broom!

End card:

Last edited:
Season 2 Episode 11

I admit. I know I've been lax in my episode descriptions lately. But it's been to avoid too much spoilers.

But this episode. Mein Gott.

End card:

NecrosaroIII

Longtime Gundam fan, I'm not sure I like this show. It definitely has its moments.

- I don't like the characters except maybe Chu and Nika
- Most of the first half was repetitive and boring
- Corporate politics are boring and don't make sense
- Don't like Suletta
-Aerial is a nice design and I like funnels, but the other mech designs are subpar

The shows a huge hit so I'm sure we're gonna get a follow up, but I hope it doesn't have any long term effects on the direction of the franchise.

In any case, it's certainly better than Seed

only 1 more episode left!

of course there's giant laser super weapon lol. It's a gundam show afterall.
I really don't like Lauda's motivation for fighting Guel. It feels forced as it felt like they did it so Guel can get some screen time.
Eri sacrifices herself to save QZ by tanking giant laser, although I dont' think she's truly dead.
And I have to assume the one who interfered with Aerial and the drones was Miorine's mom, right? Her consciousness is living within QZ, I'm guessing..

Top Bottom