• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live A Live |OT| Live O'Clock

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
$50?

8f2daa37e936a56457abd0d094671733.gif
DO IT!

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Unfortunately I do live a bit remotely, so Walmart and my local grocery store (Fred Meyers, a Kroger joint) are the only places that carry games locally. I'm about 100 miles away from the nearest Target or Best Buy, or really any other big box retail place. I checked walmart.com again, and it says it's not available at my store, but they can ship it to me by Wednesday.

It's not the end of the world, I've got plenty of games to play in the meantime. But I had about 20 hours blocked out this weekend to play through this before Xenoblade 3, which is why I'm most disappointed it didn't get here on time. I love this game, but it might have to go on the back-burner for a few months.
Yeah I'm getting X3 too Friday so, hoping to get a nice chunk of LAL done before Friday.

Labadal

I finally had time to play.

I started with present day. It took me an hour to get through it. You can beat it faster than that, but I had to redo some fights, because opponents wouldn't unleash their moves in every battle.

My next chapter will probably be the robot, and then prehistoric.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I finally had time to play.

I started with present day. It took me an hour to get through it. You can beat it faster than that, but I had to redo some fights, because opponents wouldn't unleash their moves in every battle.

My next chapter will probably be the robot, and then prehistoric.
Just beat the robot one! I'd say it's best to play it after an action-focused chapter, so I guess you'll do fine playing it now.

I really liked it, like a mix of some sci-fy movies + doing it's own thing. Thought it was gonna be more boring but nah, I really enjoyed it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
My copy finally arrived. Still on the fence about starting it so close to Xenoblade 3 coming out.

Maybe just one chapter...

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Beaten two more chapters, the Imperial China and the Present ones.

Imperial China has been pretty cool on all levels. The story is great, the environmens are pretty, there's lots of combat (from easy to kinda challenging) and the final part is kino as fuck, put a smile on my face because of much I was enjoying it. The music probably had something to do with that.

Present was cool too. It'd had been better with more story, but it's cool having a chapter so focused on combat. Pretty cool ending sequence too.

That's 4 chapters down in total. I'm really enjoying this game, being structured in shorter stories allows for an amazing pacing when it comes to story and tighter balancing when it comes to combat.

Last edited:

Oberstein

Present was cool too. It'd had been better with more story, but it's cool having a chapter so focused on combat. Pretty cool ending sequence too.

A little too short, though.
I finished the present in 40 minutes. Lost no fight, even against the final boss. I don't know if I was lucky and/or found the right parries, but it was literally a walk in the park.
But it was cool, indeed.

Andyliini

Just beat the game. Actually went through a longer path and played the final chapter with multiple characters to see the ending. I think there is still one that I missed, but that's not important right now for me. Final boss was one great battle to finish this game at.

Would rate it 4/5 and big thanks to Square-Enix and Nintendo for bringing this game finally outside of Japan. Hope they continue making these games in the future. Asano and his team are a real blessing.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Started today and finished Present Day. Quite short but fun.

If the game is similar length to this then you might wait for a sale on this one. But we'll see. So far I'm amused and enjoying it but its not fantastic or anything. Music was pretty cheesy.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

Started today and finished Present Day. Quite short but fun.

If the game is similar length to this then you might wait for a sale on this one. But we'll see. So far I'm amused and enjoying it but its not fantastic or anything. Music was pretty cheesy.
I think that might be the shortest chapter.

Don't worry, the game is long enough to justify the 45€ price tag. Some chapters like the shinobi or the china ones are much longer.

Plus there is a surprise after beating all the chapters which really expands the game length.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think that might be the shorter chapter.

Don't worry, the game is long enough to justify the 45€ price tag. Some chapters like the shinobi or the china ones are much longer.

Plus there is a surprise after beating all the chapters which really expands the game length.
Beat Wild West. My favorite thing about this game is the bite sized anthology game structure. Its almost the exact antithesis of a long jrpg. If you have 1 hr to play this game you can basically do a full episode. Its a gameplay style I wish got repeated with a modern Live A Live 2.

That said, the individual episodes so far are pretty good but not 10/10 amazing. Music has been weak so far. And the HD 2D is not as impressive as the true games in the series like Triangle and Octopath. I feel like this has less impressive pixel art and modern lighting and lens flare / focus tricks. I still like it more than straight 2D but its lesser visually than the previous 2 games.

2 episodes down. Doing Near Future next. This game will likely be a ton of fun by the time I'm finished with the sum being greater than the individual parts. The variety is pretty refreshing.

bender

What time is it?
Started playing today. I knew I wanted to save The Wild West and Twilight of Edo Japan for last as those are two of my favorite setting in games so I went with Present Day just to get context for what the game considered the present. It was a nice surprise to be warped back to my teenage years renting Best of the Best from the local video shop. Street Fighter in RPG form is a great way to kick off this game and I hope the other chapters can bring the same smile to my face. Wonderful so far.

Oberstein

The part with the ninja is so elaborate. The multiple levels in the castle, the hidden references, some bosses/enemies interacting in a different way, the secrets, etc. Really fun.
But on the flip side, as much as I enjoyed the far west, I wish it was as developed.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

I prefer the original OST myself. This revamped soundtrack does not sound quite as good, imo.

...And the music in the Wild West final battle is simply baffling.
Why am I listening to techno in a Western themed chapter? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
😂 I assume you are referring to the "Boss theme" which plays at every final boss Battle.

Seriously though can we take a minute to appreciate just how good the music is in this? Yoko Shimomura is brilliant

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Still on Near Future. It does help to try and remind myself how badass this game would have been at the time it came out. Street Fighter RPG fights, Wild West Showdown and now I'm reading everyone's minds. Music is pretty catchy on this chapter.

Deerock71

Just got through with the first story. I went with the Shinobi in Japan. I can't wait for whichever one I play next. How is this game 28 years old?! It feels like it was made yesterday!

Punished Miku

Gold Member
On Imperial China. Its great.

This is the weakest HD 2D title graphically. They need to keep high quality lighting to charge top price for old games and this is the first one that is a step down graphically. The core game feels old but the variety is honestly fantastic.

Reactions: Isa
On Imperial China. Its great.

This is the weakest HD 2D title graphically. They need to keep high quality lighting to charge top price for old games and this is the first one that is a step down graphically. The core game feels old but the variety is honestly fantastic.

The difference is, other 2D-HD games were designed with that style in mind specifically. This is essnetially taking a game that was never designed for it and trying to make it into one. Similar to those 3DS ”3D Classics” games. Games built from the ground up for 3D in particular were always better looking and took better advantage of that feature rather than games that were never designed for It and altered to create said effect.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The difference is, other 2D-HD games were designed with that style in mind specifically. This is essnetially taking a game that was never designed for it and trying to make it into one. Similar to those 3DS ”3D Classics” games. Games built from the ground up for 3D in particular were always better looking and took better advantage of that feature rather than games that were never designed for It and altered to create said effect.
Yep. Bit of a red flag for Dragon Warrior 3. I expected better graphics. The game has a lot of redeeming qualities though.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Oboromaru's section is stupid. Didn't use a guide for stealth and the game fucks you over unless you play extremely careful. Everything else about it I liked but this might be the second worst section with Near Future being the worst. Don't know what to expect from Middle Ages.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Live A Live remake sells over 500,000 units, nearly doubling the lifetime sales of the original SNES release.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/09/live-a-live-switch-remake-sells-500k-units-worldwide#:~:text=Producer Takashi Tokata has revealed,release in July this year.

Producer Takashi Tokata has revealed that Live A Live, Square Enix's 2022 HD-2D remake of the 1994 Super Famicom hidden gem, has smashed past 500,000 sales worldwide since its release in July this year.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Sorry man, didn’t you hear? Turn based JRPGs are on the brink of extinction. And with FF XVI, Square Enix is declaring turn based gameplay dead, once and for all. The battle is over. The western dudebros have won.

Serious response: I’m really glad to see this game get the recognition it deserves. Such a creative and innovative game that proved JRPGs could do way more than anime high-fantasy stories. Plus it handled the multiple heroes thing way better than Octopath.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
That's absolutely huge, a niche old remake shipping half a million in what, a month or 2?

You can bet Square is looking to make more stuff for the Switch, which has turned into an absolute JRPG beast.

Top Bottom