• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Live Action Transformer the Movie Coming Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don Murphy is Hollywood producer with many credits under his belt. If you go to his site...

http://www.donmurphy.net/

... you'll easily recognize a few. But check out the Optimums Prime up to the right. Click on it and you'll get a message: "MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT COMING - COMICCON 2004"

What else can it be other than a live action Transformer film!!!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
We've known that this was in the works for a while. We just don't know who the main talent will be or anything. It's reportedly being geared up to be a huge 2006 summer tentpole flick.

bjork

Series started in modern day (1984 at the time).

Movie jumped ahead after Season 2, and then Season 3 was after the film.

bjork said:

Series started in modern day (1984 at the time).

Movie jumped ahead after Season 2, and then Season 3 was after the film.

No it started in 2005. The third season picks up one year after the events, in 2006.

nomoment

Optimus Prime - Robert Deniro
Rodimus Prime - Brad Pitt
Ultra Magnus - Edward Norton

Megatron - Marlon Brando would've been perfect... :(
Starscream - Chris Tucker

Firest0rm

The trailer is being shown at the transcon its been known for a while now. I have high hopes for this! I really want it to happen!

Mrbob

Firest0rm said:
The trailer is being shown at the transcon its been known for a while now. I have high hopes for this! I really want it to happen!

I don't.

Live action transformers movie?! :/

Firest0rm

Mrbob said:
I don't.

Live action transformers movie?! :/

I know i would have preferred a cartoon too, but atleast were getting something. Plus the person producing it is DeSanto who was responsible for X2 and that brings hope (Thats if you liked X2, which I did more then X1)

Firest0rm said:
I know i would have preferred a cartoon too, but atleast were getting something. Plus the person producing it is DeSanto who was responsible for X2 and that brings hope (Thats if you liked X2, which I did more then X1)

I'd like to think most people did. It was a great flick, and much better than part one, which was not that bad either.

Lemonz

Serafitia said:
The old movie/series itself took place in 2005, right?

From what I've remember, it started as a 3-part mini series in spring 1984...
Then 13-weekly episodes in fall 1984...
Went daily with 65 episodes in fall 1985...
It jumped ahead to '2005' in the movie in summer 1986...
Then started in '2006' in fall 1986 eps...
Then the series ended with a 5-part Headmasters series in 1987.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
This Don Murphy dude's producing credits are'nt all that impressive. LXG, From Hell, Double Dragon... all stinkers.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
nomoment said:
Optimus Prime - Robert Deniro
Rodimus Prime - Brad Pitt
Ultra Magnus - Edward Norton

Megatron - Marlon Brando would've been perfect... :(
Starscream - Chris Tucker

So very wrong.

Optimus Prime - Peter Cullen
Megatron - Frank Welker

Anyone else doing these voices would be an insult.

xsarien

daedsiluap
FortNinety said:
No it started in 2005. The third season picks up one year after the events, in 2006.

Season 1 took place in 1984, season 2 in 1985. The movie jumped ahead by about twenty years, and that's where season 3 picked up.

aparisi2274

xsarien said:
Season 1 took place in 1984, season 2 in 1985. The movie jumped ahead by about twenty years, and that's where season 3 picked up.

That is correct. Because when the show first started Spike was a teenager, then after the movie, when the series started up again, Spike was an adult.

aparisi2274

UPDATE to the movie.

I got this off imdb.com, and tformers.com

Full Cast and Crew for
Untitled Transformers Film (2006)

Cast (in alphabetical order)
Peter Cullen .... Optimus Prime/Ironhide (voice)
Frank Welker .... Megatron/Soundwave/Laserbeak/Mirage (voice)

Produced by
Tom DeSanto .... producer
Don Murphy .... producer

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418279/fullcredits

Man if that is true, then this movie just went up in my list of movies to see, and I am a HUGE transformers fan.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
xsarien said:
Even more so, it's hard to believe Shockwave survived as the lone Decepticon on Cybertron for million's of years only to be contacted by Megatron in 1984.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
MrPing1000 said:
hang on how the hell will this work?

Can you not envisage magnificent CGI characters against filmed backdrops? Them FX have been a staple since Jurassic Park. This could be the film of the century if it contains the Dinobots.

Firest0rm

It sucks that the guy responsible for star screams voice passed away :( I hope they get the voice for him done correctly. He wouldn't be the same with out his voice.

bjork

Defensor said:
Even more so, it's hard to believe Shockwave survived as the lone Decepticon on Cybertron for million's of years only to be contacted by Megatron in 1984.

That's why I like the Marvel storyline better.

That, and Shockwave kicked some serious ass, Starscream laying waste to everyone, etc. Good series, :)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Firest0rm said:
It sucks that the guy responsible for star screams voice passed away :( I hope they get the voice for him done correctly. He wouldn't be the same with out his voice.
They could just get Doug Parker to do Star Scream's voice if they made a movie. Doug did Terrorsaur's voice in Beast Wars and also did the voice of Star Scream in that one episode in BW season 1.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
First cast pictures are now available:

cosplay2k2.jpg

anna-room-1.jpg
anna-room-5.jpg

IMAGE025-1-vi.jpg

xsarien

daedsiluap
And the big news cometh, here comes the press release (Hope no one minds me posting the whole thing, it's not really an article per se):

LEGENDARY TRANSFORMERS PROPERTY FROM HASBRO
WILL COME TO LIFE WITH LIVE ACTION FILM FROM
DREAMWORKS AND PARAMOUNT

-- Steven Spielberg to Executive Produce --

LOS ANGELES and PAWTUCKET, R.I., July 23, 2004 - DreamWorks Pictures and
Paramount Pictures, in association with Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE:HAS), will develop a live-action, motion picture based on the globally popular TRANSFORMERS franchise. Steven Spielberg will executive produce. The film is slated for release in the summer of 2006. Lorenzo di Bonaventura ("Constantine"), Don Murphy ("The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen") and Tom DeSanto ("X-Men" and "X2: X-Men United") are attached to produce.

DreamWorks Head of Production Adam Goodman stated, "Steven and everyone at DreamWorks are very excited about the prospect of expanding the world of TRANSFORMERS into the live-action feature film arena. The possibilities for a thrilling action adventure are virtually endless, and a film holds the definite promise of expanding an already worldwide fan base to new audiences."

"This is a tremendous franchise that offers us the opportunity to create an inventive and thrilling action-adventure film," said Donald De Line, Vice Chairman, Motion Picture Group and President of Paramount Pictures. "We're happy to work with our colleagues at DreamWorks to develop this project with Hasbro. There couldn't be a better team to bring the TRANSFORMERS to the big screen."

"We are truly fortunate to have the best talent in the entertainment industry on board for the TRANSFORMERS movie and are excited at the opportunities this powerful collaboration will bring to the property," said Brian Goldner, President of Hasbro's toys segment. "The TRANSFORMERS franchise has been successful in many entertainment arenas and we are thrilled to give millions of fans an extraordinary experience that's never been done in the history of the brand."

Hasbro will work with the production team, DreamWorks and Paramount on all aspects of the film's creative development, marketing, promotions and will manage merchandising in conjunction with the release of the film. Hasbro will also team up with Takara, who has been the co-developer of the TRANSFORMERS brand since its beginning in the early 1980s.

"The TRANSFORMERS brand has always struck a chord with fans around the world and remains one of our strongest franchises since it was introduced 20 years ago," said Keita Satoh, President and Chief Executive Officer of Takara. "Together with Hasbro, DreamWorks and Paramount, we will bring the property to a new level for fans in the Japanese market, as well as around the world." DreamWorks will distribute the film domestically, while Paramount will distribute internationally.

In 1984, the TRANSFORMERS brand took the world by storm with its compelling saga of the ROBOTS IN DISGUISE, and quickly became a childhood rite of passage with a tremendously successful toy line from Hasbro and Takara, comic book series, television program and animated feature film. Twenty years later, a new generation of kids has discovered the excitement of the TRANSFORMERS brand and the legendary characters, such as OPTIMUS PRIME and MEGATRON, that truly are "more than meets the eye." Today, the franchise features a popular toy line, an animated series on Cartoon Network and a chart-topping comic book series from Dreamwave Productions, which sold two million TRANSFORMERS comic books last year.

Hasbro (NYSE:HAS) is a worldwide leader in children's and family leisure time entertainment products and services, including the design, manufacture and marketing of games and toys, such as MONOPOLY and G.I. JOE, ranging from traditional to high-tech. Both internationally and in the U.S., its PLAYSKOOL, TONKA, MILTON BRADLEY, PARKER BROTHERS, TIGER, and WIZARDS OF THE COAST brands and products provide the highest quality and most recognizable play experiences in the world.

DreamWorks SKG was formed in October, 1994, by its three principal partners-Steven Spielberg, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen-to produce live-action motion pictures; animated feature films; network and cable television programming; home video entertainment; books; toys; and consumer products.

Paramount Pictures is part of the entertainment operations of Viacom, Inc., one of the world's largest entertainment and media companies and a leader in the production, promotion and distribution of entertainment, news, sports and music.

Creative Artists Agency represents Hasbro and Steven Spielberg.

Creative Artists Agency is a talent and literary agency with offices in Beverly Hills, Nashville and New York City. CAA represents the most creative and successful artists working in film, television, music, theatre, and video games, and provides a range of strategic marketing services to corporate clients. The agency serves as the access point through which artists, consumers and global brands intersect to create, acquire and sell entertainment properties, and to enrich entertainment and brand experiences.

CAA has an equity relationship with Shepardson, Stern and Kaminsky, a strategic communications consulting firm. Youth Intelligence, a youth market research and trend forecasting company, is a division of CAA.

aparisi2274

xsarien said:
And the big news cometh, here comes the press release (Hope no one minds me posting the whole thing, it's not really an article per se):

I may have missed it, but are they doing this movie based off the G1 story? Or some other lame ass attempt at Transformers? It better be G1.

Hero

Wtf is with that chick cosplaying Bumblebee? Is she cute out of the costume? I can't tell.

And what's with Steven as an 'executive' producer? Will he not be doing much hands on work?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Hero said:
Wtf is with that chick cosplaying Bumblebee? Is she cute out of the costume? I can't tell.

And what's with Steven as an 'executive' producer? Will he not be doing much hands on work?

I'm guessing it's a bit early to be discussing such things, I doubt they even have any semblance of a script ready.

I think it goes without saying this thing is going to be rushed, but, most (presumably) summer movies don't really have much in the way of plot anyway.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
DonasaurusRex said:
what we need is an updated voltron anime.

I remember hearing a year ago or so that World Events Productions was looking into making more animated episodes (animated in japan, not the cg shit). If they did, I wouldn't mind if they revamped the timeline into something that the comics by Devil's Due are doing now.

Ristamar

Whimsical Phil said:
So very wrong.

Optimus Prime - Peter Cullen
Megatron - Frank Welker

Anyone else doing these voices would be an insult.

Fuckin' right. Too bad the guy who voiced StarScream is dead. :(

nomoment said:
I'm not talking about VOICES.

Eh? Then what are you talking about? Anything less than giant, flawless CG transformers would be a travesty.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Wheeljack539 said:
I remember hearing a year ago or so that World Events Productions was looking into making more animated episodes (animated in japan, not the cg shit). If they did, I wouldn't mind if they revamped the timeline into something that the comics by Devil's Due are doing now.

If they make a third attempt at bringing it back, bullet point #1 on the "To Do" list is "Not hire that shitty story editor we had for Voltron 3D."

nomoment said:
I'm not talking about VOICES.

do you mean to say that the TF's, in your movie, will be humans who can transform? because you're pretty unclear about this.

They should get that team that did the game to do the CG work. The game was beautiful...and that's all I'm going to say about it.

levious said:
but will they get Casey Casem?
I wouldn't see why not. They got him to do Shaggy for the Looney Tunes movie that was released last summer.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Melbourne House.

Regardless, Dreamworks seems to be pretty cozy with PDI, in fact, I think they own them. So I guess "Who's doing the CG?" is solved with this announcement as well.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Raxel said:
I hope Vince DiCola comes back for the soundtrack. "The Touch" simply MUST be in there somewhere too!

No, it doesn't, and there better be some kind of restraining order keeping him far, far away from anything to do with this movie. Synth rock needs to stay in the 80s.

Raxel

xsarien said:
No, it doesn't, and there better be some kind of restraining order keeping him far, far away from anything to do with this movie. Synth rock needs to stay in the 80s.

I respectfully disagree. The TFTM soundtrack is one of my all time favourites.

Ristamar

While I have a soft spot for the cheese rock in the TF movie, I don't think it'd go well with a live action flick, nor would I want to hear it.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/film/brief_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000584188

DreamWorks, Paramount prime for Transformers

DreamWorks and Paramount Pictures have acquired the movie rights for the Transformers, Hasbro's toy line of giant robots that morph into cars, trucks, planes, ships and other technological creations. Angry Films topper Don Murphy and Tom DeSanto, who exec produced the two "X-Men" films, are producing the live-action feature, along with Lorenzo di Bonaventura. Steven Spielberg will executive produce. In the protracted negotiations, DreamWorks beat out several other studios, with Spielberg reportedly involved in acquiring the rights. Paramount is taking international distribution rights, while DreamWorks will handle domestic. The Transformers are divided into two groups of robots, one led by Optimus Prime, who believes in tolerance and the sanctity of life, the other by Megatron, who espouses survival of the fittest and the extermination of biological life.

LOL, those descriptions should be put on all the toys.

I know they are going to turn the transformers into some PC crapfest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom