• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looks like HBO's next BoB series about U.S WWII airmen is pushing ahead

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/ste...ld-war-ii-miniseries-secures-source-material/

HBO’s long in the works World War II miniseries project, from Band Of Brothers and The Pacific producers Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks, has acquired the rights to Donald L. Miller’s book Masters of the Air: America’s Bomber Boys Who Fought the Air War Against Nazi Germany, which may be joined by other source material. The project has been in development for months and was announced by HBO programming president Michael Lombardo last October at an event in France. The Band Of Brothers and The Pacific followup portrays a cross section of officers and enlisted men who served in the Eighth Air Force and fought in the air war against Germany. Based in England, the men of the “Mighty Eighth” faced unprecedented physical, psychological and moral challenges. Hanks, Spielberg and Gary Goetzman executive produce for Playtone and Amblin Television.

Oh man, I love these miniseries.

I hope it's better than The Pacific. I didn't even finish watching The Pacific, while BoB is one of my favorite shows.

I've heard people express this sentiment, and although I agree that BoB is better, I thought The Pacific was fantastic as well. Far more disjointed, sure, but that's to be expected given the source material.

Hootie

boooo, I want a series based on the eastern front. I cant see any way this will be better than BoB, both in terms of story and casting

Timbuktu

They are going to make the RAF look bad aren't they.

Though hopefull, if it's based in UK again we would get a the next batch of English actors as we did with BoB.

I can't say I'm too interested in this. HBO really needs to get out of the rut they're in and another fucking WWII miniseries isn't they way to do it.

Good to see this is gonna be focused on adapting one book instead of 3 or more like with The Pacific. Going to have to read this book asap

antonz

Ugh Europe Airwar is alright but they could have made an awesome series off the exploits of the Enterprise in the pacific.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I can't say I'm too interested in this. HBO really needs to get out of the rut they're in and another fucking WWII miniseries isn't they way to do it.

The rut's that's given us Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Veep and Luck? Nah, I'll stick with that.

The rut's that's given us Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, Treme, Veep and Luck? Nah, I'll stick with that.

Luck is dead, Treme's ending and Veep is only okay. Game of Thrones and Boardwalk are both mediocre at best. HBO used to be able to make better shows than that.

ezrarh

boooo, I want a series based on the eastern front. I cant see any way this will be better than BoB, both in terms of story and casting

Yeah, I would like to see something from the Eastern front, considering that was the major reason the Germans lost the war. Unfortunately the TV market isn't likely to be interested in a show about the Soviets being the "good guys".

Luck is dead, Treme's ending and Veep is only okay. Game of Thrones and Boardwalk are both mediocre at best. HBO used to be able to make better shows than that.

evuqk.gif

The only show HBO used to make that was better than Boardwalk is The Sopranos.

The only show HBO used to make that was better than Boardwalk is The Sopranos.

And Deadwood, The Wire, the better seasons of Oz/Six Feet Under, In Treatment, and so on.

Once Treme ends HBO won't have a single outstanding drama on their network which is really sad.

Cheebo

Banned
Once Treme ends HBO won't have a single outstanding drama on their network which is really sad.

I am pretty sure you are the only person in the world who feels this way. HBO is in it's golden age right now, incredible show after incredible show.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
While yet another WWII miniseries doesn't do a whole lot to excite me (there were other wars, you know), I'm sure this will be good. Band of Brothers was fantastic, though I still need to get around to watching The Pacific.

Timbuktu

I am pretty sure you are the only person in the world who feels this way. HBO is in it's golden age right now, incredible show after incredible show.

No way. That would when HBO had Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood and Rome on the air at the same time.

i find Boardwalk to be well done and a good show, but doesn't break any new ground and feel a bit souless. It's a shame Luck got cancelled, could have done with another season considering the kind of shows HBO has given two seasons to. Girls is really what make HBO relvant right now. True Blood and GoT may brings in the crowds, but they need a bit more than that. Another WWII series isn't gonna be it. Would have preferred more like Generation Kill to be honest.

No way. That would when HBO had Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood and Rome on the air at the same time.

i find Boardwalk to be well done and a good show, but doesn't break any new ground and feel a bit souless. It's a shame Luck got cancelled, could have done with another season considering the kind of shows HBO has given two seasons to. Girls is really what make HBO relvant right now. True Blood and GoT may brings in the crowds, but they need a bit more than that. Another WWII series isn't gonna be it. Would have preferred more like Generation Kill to be honest.

Yup. Also Carnivale and Six Feet Under (can't remember when SFU ended though)

Also Oz, though the last few seasons weren't too great

I hope it's better than The Pacific. I didn't even finish watching The Pacific, while BoB is one of my favorite shows.
Bad choice. The last 3 or 4 episodes were my favorite part of The Pacific. Well, "favorite" isn't probably the right word, but youknowwhatImean

BobLoblaw

Banned
I'm in for anything dealing with HBO and WW2. And while The Pcific had it's moments, it dealt with far too much shit outside of the Pacific theater. Still, I'd LOVE a series dealing with the Soviets and all of the shit they had to go through.

Chichikov

Very good choice of a book, I think it will translate great to Band of Brother style TV show.
Not sure why they think they need to add stuff from other sources, there is already probably too much stuff in the book to film.
Still, I'd LOVE a series dealing with the Soviets and all of the shit they had to go through.
Co-signed.
The big drama of World War II happened in the eastern front, there are amazing stories to be told there.

Hopefully they keep the scope more limited than the Pacific. I'd think that'll be easier to do if they're focusing only on the air force in Europe.

But I'll add my support for a series on the Eastern front. Just insane some of the things that happened there.

jbueno

I just watched Band of Brothers on Bluray for the first time last month, and I loved most of it. Didn´t know The Pacific was related, will definitely give it a watch.

Does HBO have a standing policy whereby only WW2 shows focused on Americans will get approved? It's not that they aren't good, but people would like to see stuff from the British, Russian or even German perspective. If you really want to throw a curveball, do some partisan action in France or Czechoslovakia.

Boring. I want eastern front stuff. It's a shame there's no outstanding Russian directors that i know of right now. All the ww2 stuff is shown from American perspective and it's getting stale now

It would also be nice to go strategic level instead of following a group of front-liners through the war. Different perspective, and you get a good idea of what is going on instead of "hey guys command told us to go here and secure this bridge so we can roll some tanks over it". Different moral dilemmas involved in command too.

Overdoziz

Banned
Does HBO have a standing policy whereby only WW2 shows focused on Americans will get approved? It's not that they aren't good, but people would like to see stuff from the British, Russian or even German perspective. If you really want to throw a curveball, do some partisan action in France or Czechoslovakia.
I'd love to see the point of view of some German soldiers during WW2. It gets touched upon slightly at the end of BoB with the speech of the German general which I thought was a pretty powerful scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom