• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen quality and perf modes: 1440/30 and 1080/60

Well they seem to have shown all the previews on pc like Remnant 2, so we could all read between lines. We have that immortals aveum game coming out this month though so that will be the first game using nanite/lumen/vsm (if we ignore desordre), previews for that seemed to be on pc again.

On a side note seeing we are discussing tsr I don't think it's as good as people think, here are some comparisons in desordre which recently updated to ue5.2 (they also added rtxdi and ser in same update)

On the first comparison TSR is actually better than DLSS! And what about textures high frequency details tests? We know DLSS fares very badly here (always blurry).

Last edited:

simpatico

This are 500 dollars boxes from 2020 ... I think is about right ... people should stop expecting to pay cheap and its cheap and get top notch perfomance .. specially from third party
If you told people that right before the gen started, that all they could expect from their PS5 is 1080p/60, I think there would be uproar. If you recall, PS360 was supposedly the 1080p generation. We're still getting games that aren't even able to lock in the 60fps @ 1080p with reduced graphics settings vs the "quality" mode. idk to me that's unacceptable.

hlm666

Has Remnant 2 on consoles been updated with the new patches?
At least on PC, there have been massive improvements to performance. I have seen some of the heaviest scenes in the game doubling performance.
Yeh it looks like they turned off vsm by default and reduced the density of some of the particle effects across the board. Pretty sure the consoles got that patch when they nerfed DR and increase scrap etc. I've got no idea if vsm is off on console now in performance and on in quality or how much uplift they got from that. was bout a 30% uplift on pc at high, turning advanced shadows back on reduced it to like 15% improvement. Not sure that will be enough to lift the consoles out of 720p bottoms but it should move the framerate to the 40-50 range instead of 30-40 range.

TrebleShot

If you told people that right before the gen started, that all they could expect from their PS5 is 1080p/60, I think there would be uproar. If you recall, PS360 was supposedly the 1080p generation. We're still getting games that aren't even able to lock in the 60fps @ 1080p with reduced graphics settings vs the "quality" mode. idk to me that's unacceptable.
Not that I disagree with you but actually a lot of people were saying these boxes would be 1080/60 machines with upscaling.
The writing was on the wall from the PS4 gen when we had to wait till the pro to get 1440p/60.

I don't know if its just my habits now but I am increasingly disappointed with the performance of these machines.

UE5 was before PS5 launched with promises of incredible streaming and performance, not a chance these machines run these games at 60 in a world of large flat panel TVs and 8k/4k just looks like crap a lot of the time.

People say get a PC, I have a PC at the top end and its an utter ball ache playing modern games that you haven't already rinsed on consoles.

Like playing Jedi Survivor, have to restart the game often, sometimes launches from steam in the background, have to manually select it, then haptics only work when plugged in another annoyance. Ive modded it with DLSS which causes most of the restarts but I understand looks and plays like shit without it.

Get a PC is not a good rebuff for poor spec on Consoles, chasing the dream of a sub £500 box that gives us top level visuals does.

I think that's also one of the reasons streaming will kick off, remove the cost and reliance on local hardware.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Yeh it looks like they turned off vsm by default and reduced the density of some of the particle effects across the board. Pretty sure the consoles got that patch when they nerfed DR and increase scrap etc. I've got no idea if vsm is off on console now in performance and on in quality or how much uplift they got from that. was bout a 30% uplift on pc at high, turning advanced shadows back on reduced it to like 15% improvement. Not sure that will be enough to lift the consoles out of 720p bottoms but it should move the framerate to the 40-50 range instead of 30-40 range.

The advanced shadows setting is r.Shadow.Virtual.Enable And this was probably the main culprit for the performance drops.
I'm pretty sure that they reduced the amount of surfaces that are casting shadows with virtual shadows. The issue with nanite is that it creates so many polygons, that if everyone of them is casting a shadow, it bogged down performance.
I remember in some situations that had a lot of ground geometric detail, turning on the flashlight and seeing the fps dropping hard.

Akuji

120hz 40fps mode doesn't make any sense, does it?

Do you mean 1080 or 1440 with a 40 fps mode?

I know that has become an option in games before.
120hz allows a "smooth" 40fps since u can divide easily by 40. You change the frame every 3 frames and therefore have equal amout of time for each frame. @ 60 you cant go higher then 30fps with equal frame times on the display side. You could do every 3rd frame as well but 60/3 = 20. We dont want that x) So 120fps allows for 40fps which is already substantially better then 30fps and doesnt take that much more power. its a compromise

Reactions: Fbh
Has Remnant 2 on consoles been updated with the new patches?
At least on PC, there have been massive improvements to performance. I have seen some of the heaviest scenes in the game doubling performance.
It did get a big patch a few days ago on PS5, but there's still massive framerate drops in certain scenarios and on certain worlds like N'Erud and Labyrinth.

I also did the final boss fight (Annihilation) after the patched dropped, and on balanced mode it dropped to low 30s on numerous occasions; had to switch to performance mode to at least have a somewhat playable experience in this boss encounter (I think it hovered around high 40s low 50s in the most demanding moments) .

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It did get a big patch a few days ago on PS5, but there's still massive framerate drops in certain scenarios and on certain worlds like N'Erud and Labyrinth.

I also did the final boss fight (Annihilation) after the patched dropped, and on balanced mode it dropped to low 30s on numerous occasions; had to switch to performance mode to at least have a somewhat playable experience in this boss encounter (I think it hovered around high 40s low 50s in the most demanding moments) .

In the Labyrinth it's normal to get frame rate drops when looking through the portals. This is quite heavy, as it's rendering 2 scenes at the same time.
But asides from that, it runs pretty well on PC.
I have only done a bit of N`Erud with the last patch and didn't have any big frame rate drops. I even fought against Abomination, but now it runs much better.
I remember having big performance drops in Vault of the Formless, in the part where there are those big machines moving pods around. Haven't gone on it after the patch.

With Annihilation, at launch, it would drop into the 40's. But after the patches it's close to the 60-70 fps.
Still not great, as I can do most of the Corrupted harbor close to 100 fps. But much better than at launch.

In the Labyrinth it's normal to get frame rate drops when looking through the portals. This is quite heavy, as it's rendering 2 scenes at the same time.
But asides from that, it runs pretty well on PC.
I have only done a bit of N`Erud with the last patch and didn't have any big frame rate drops. I even fought against Abomination, but now it runs much better.
I remember having big performance drops in Vault of the Formless, in the part where there are those big machines moving pods around. Haven't gone on it after the patch.

With Annihilation, at launch, it would drop into the 40's. But after the patches it's close to the 60-70 fps.
Still not great, as I can do most of the Corrupted harbor close to 100 fps. But much better than at launch.
There's still big frame-rate dips there, just cleared the zone yesterday after I rerolled N`Erud on adventure mode. Btw, I'm playing on PS5 and not on PC. As for the Annihilation boss fight, I shudder to think how the perf was at launch on PS5...
Happy to see the improvements on PC though, and hopefully the devs will do some further optimization passes for consoles as well.

winjer

Gold Member
There's still big frame-rate dips there, just cleared the zone yesterday after I rerolled N`Erud on adventure mode. Btw, I'm playing on PS5 and not on PC. As for the Annihilation boss fight, I shudder to think how the perf was at launch on PS5...
Happy to see the improvements on PC though, and hopefully the devs will do some further optimization passes for consoles as well.

They have been releasing patches regularly, with good improvements, since launch.
So it's probably going to improve even more. But it's sad to have another game with a launch troubled by performance issues.
At least, they are working much better and faster than Respawn with Jedi Survivor.

Decima.

And it shouldn't be an issue with UE5 using proper techniques, since the original PS5 demo, everyone thought it was native 4K until it was revealed to be 1440p/30 reconstructed with their methods.
Original demo was like 200gb compressed lol, so we won’t be seeing games like that anytime soon,

Lokaum D+

You should hope that it’s better than a 4090. Next gen is probably at least 4 years away. At that point 4090 is still going to be OK but the technology available will be better.
available doesn't mean affordable, to sell consoles u need to have a nice price point, if u go to crazy u end like Sony's PS3, selling consoles at a huge loss.

hlm666

On the first comparison TSR is actually better than DLSS! And what about textures high frequency details tests? We know DLSS fares very badly here (always blurry).
Not sure I agree with that, the 2nd slice is native no upscaling and dlss looks much closer to that. The tsr has the typical pixeled looking breakup we get with tsr on things like hair and the edges of some alpha effects.

JackMcGunns

In here for the Series S numbers.

Cap Lying GIF by Twitch

That will be a fun take, but that being said, this game was made in a way that seems to be bringing PS5 and Series X to their knees, so there goes the theory that Series S is holding games back. Imagine PC gamers on GTX 4080s and 4090s caring so much about 4060 numbers. When you have a game like Witcher 3 running on the Nintendo Switch, it just goes to show how it's possible to scale games down, clearly the devs that complain have to do extra work and no one likes extra work. Only those drinking the cool-aid believe PS5/Series X games are affected directly by Series S. Pro consoles shouldn't even be a thing then since PS5/SX will move to the laughable space that Series S occupies, amirite?

Filben

1080p for 60fps... wonder if it drops below because console games typically uses "targets" and therefore dynamic resolutions.

This is hell of a resolution sacrifice for 60fps.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I have been playing Evil West at 1080/60 on Series X, looks fine tbh. That it has brilliant anti aliasing goes some way to improving image quality, but undeniably the image looks soft. TBH, I'm not sure I can muster up the enthusiasm to be disgusted at this resolution. As long as there's a 60fps option, then I'm sure it'll be fine.

yamaci17

I have been playing Evil West at 1080/60 on Series X, looks fine tbh. That it has brilliant anti aliasing goes some way to improving image quality, but undeniably the image looks soft. TBH, I'm not sure I can muster up the enthusiasm to be disgusted at this resolution. As long as there's a 60fps option, then I'm sure it'll be fine.
thats the problem them games look so soft even at 1440p

i wish they targeted 4k and used fsr performance. then the games do not look that soft anymore. but have artifacts and whatnot. people do not like that either. at least on PC I have the freedom to do that. it will be hard to have that on consoles

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

i wish they targeted 4k and used fsr performance. then the games do not look that soft anymore. but have artifacts and whatnot. people do not like that either. at least on PC I have the freedom to do that. it will be hard to have that on consoles

Eh, it is what it is.

Bojji

Yeah that's the worst thing about consoles, lack of choice - devs decide that X image reconstruction is the best when on reality it looks like shit (like fsr 1.0 in FFXVI).

Same goes for Vaseline filter, piss filter, chromatic abberation, motion blur etc.

Every game should have option to turn this shit off plus sharpness slider.

oji-san

Banned
Not interested in this game as it's a dirty souls game but 1080p 60fps can look quite nice.. playing now Ghost Recon Breakpoint on PS5 and it's very nice.

Fbh

1080 60 fps in the year 2023...

Hey if it's real 1080 and locked 60fps that's actually an upgrade compared to the likes of Jedi Survivor which is like 720p 45fps.

Devs to graphics "whores":

are-you-not-7hximm.jpg

It's funny because we are finally getting the "next gen" games everyone wanted but not only are they offering the same old game design, I'd argue in many cases they look worse than last gen games.
Slightly worse graphics at native 1440p and locked 60fps looks nicer than better graphics at upscaled 720p 45-60fps.

Last edited:

Fbh

True. Something very odd is happening as we always had improved graphics + improved resolutions from last gen.

I think it's just diminishing returns.
These games are pushing new tech that's impressive on paper (like "ray tracing" and "lumen") but the actual end result you see on screen just doesn't look that much better and it's costing a ton in terms of performance and resolution.
I think game graphics are reaching a point of "maturity" where upgrades will be slower and smaller while still requiring a lot of extra hardware power.

During the early days of 3D graphics we'd see fast and massive improvements. In 10 years we went from OG FFVII to Bioshick and Crysis.
Now we need Digital Foundry videos to zoom in on water reflections and tell us how impressive they are

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

I think it's just diminishing returns.
These games are pushing new tech that's impressive on paper (like "ray tracing" and "lumen") but actual end result you see on screen just doesn't look that much better and it's costing a ton in terms of performance and resolution.
I think game graphics are reaching a point of "maturity" where upgrades will be slower and smaller while still requiring a lot of extra hardware power.

During the early days of 3D graphics we'd see fast and massive improvements. In 10 years we went from OG FFVII to Bioshick and Crysis.
Now we need Digital Foundry videos to zoom in on water reflections and tell us how impressive they are
Yes!!!

Not just that, but the truth of the matter is what most of these devs have been putting out, hasn't really impressed. look at the lumen/nanites PS5 demo. No one had an issue with the fact it was natively 1080p TSR`ed to 2160p running at 30fps. If devs gave us stuff that looked that good and detailed, no one would care about those other specs. A lot of these games instead feel like they are just coming in hot and uncooked. And that's what I find disappointing.

I mean, it took a DF retro video to drive in a shocking fact, The Order 1886, without any of these super high-end next-gen features, is a better-looking game on a 1.8TF console than 90% of everything released this gen. There is something very very wrong with that.

We have come full circle. It is clear to me these devs are not using the available power to make the games look better or push the envelope, they are using it to make their development lives easier. Thats the only logical explanation. Come on, lt not pretend we have not seen what was possible on 1.8TF GPUs with Jaguar CPUs. We have 10TF consoles now for crying out loud.

Last edited:

Bojji

Yes!!!

Not just that, but the truth of the matter is what most of these devs have been putting out, hasn't really impressed. look at the lumen/nanites PS5 demo. No one had an issue with the fact it was natively 1080p TSR`ed to 2160p running at 30fps. If devs gave us stuff that looked that good and detailed, no one would care about those other specs. A lot of these games instead feel like they are just coming in hot and uncooked. And that's what I find disappointing.

I mean, it took a DF retro video to drive in a shocking fact, The Order 1886, without any of these super high-end next-gen features, is a better-looking game on a 1.8TF console than 90% of everything released this gen. There is something very very wrong with that.

We have come full circle. It is clear to me these devs are not using the available power to make the games look better or push the envelope, they are using it to make their development lives easier. Thats the only logical explanation. Come on, lt not pretend we have not seen what was possible on 1.8TF GPUs with Jaguar CPUs. We have 10TF consoles now for crying out loud.

I agree. The Last of Us Part 2 is just PS4 code in 1440p and 60FPS and game looks excellent, better than something like Remnant 2 for sure, even PS5 only TLoU Part 1 is not much better looking, only in textures.

Something is wrong. We will see big jump with PS6 when Ray Tracing GI will be common in games but this gen is just Gen 9+ so far (and PS5 Pro will be G9++) but sometimes with lower resolution...

DavidGzz

Cross Gen:

"Ugh! Cross Gen is holding my amazing console back"

The second Cross Gen ends:
"Ugh! This is a joke, we need new consoles"

LMAO. THIS! I was always saying cross-gen means almost 4k and 60fps on current gen consoles. Proper next gen graphics and you not hittting anywhere close to 4k if you want 60fps. That's why I made the decision to buy a PC when I saw how the Matrix demo ran. And people talking shit about Series S...Your PS5 and X are also looking pretty shitty, so quick to deflect to the S lol

Last edited:
Once more for the people in the cheap seats...

Fuck ray tracing.
Fuck UE5.
Fuck Nanite.
Fuck Lumen.

You want that shit on a $2k PC, sure. Sounds great. Knock yourself out. Trip the light fantastic. I love that journey for you.

But $500 plug and play consoles CAN NOT HANDLE THAT SHIT. Stop it.

Once more for the people in the cheap seats...

Fuck ray tracing.
Fuck UE5.
Fuck Nanite.
Fuck Lumen.

You want that shit on a $2k PC, sure. Sounds great. Knock yourself out. Trip the light fantastic. I love that journey for you.

But $500 plug and play consoles CAN NOT HANDLE THAT SHIT. Stop it.
Even PCMR people are crying about how heavy UE5 is on their $2000 rigs. Just look at this reddit thread on Remnant 2 (do note that since then they did ship a big update that brought some optimizations to the table).

QXulTn6.png

Kz73ayX.png

Oh and that person who said their RTX 3080 will eat this game will be in for a rude awakening once this game launches later this year :messenger_grinning_sweat: .

Last edited:
Even PCMR people are crying about how heavy UE5 is on their $2000 rigs. Just look at this reddit thread on Remnant 2 (do note that since then they did ship a big update that brought some optimizations to the table).

QXulTn6.png

Kz73ayX.png

Oh and that person who said their RTX 3080 will eat this game will be in for a rude awakening once this game launches later this year :messenger_grinning_sweat: .

Jesus. This is why I gave up on PC gaming long ago. This looks too much like work.

120hz allows a "smooth" 40fps since u can divide easily by 40. You change the frame every 3 frames and therefore have equal amout of time for each frame. @ 60 you cant go higher then 30fps with equal frame times on the display side. You could do every 3rd frame as well but 60/3 = 20. We dont want that x) So 120fps allows for 40fps which is already substantially better then 30fps and doesnt take that much more power. its a compromise
You mean having a screen with 120hz refresh rate allows you to enable a 40fps mode?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Jesus. This is why I gave up on PC gaming long ago. This looks too much like work.
The fact that you can even do all of that is a good thing, not a bad one. PC has enough freedom to allow the players to bypass devs incompetence. On consoles, you're pretty much at their mercy. If it's too much work, set all settings to Medium except for textures and AF and you should get a console-like experience without a hassle.

DavidGzz

I really love that they took the parry system from Sekiro and put it in this. Once for weaker enemies and multiple parries required for boss characters. Also being able to use ranged weapons or the lantern on the fly without having to switch weapons. It also has 'withered' dmg which is kind of like the damage you can regain like in Bloodborne but without the time limit. Add the best graphics of any game in the genre and I'm pretty stoked for this!

rkofan87

Gold Member
The 4090... a $1600 GPU. Runs Remanant (another UE5 game) at 2160p native at 45fps. And that GPU is paired with hardware that is well over $2400 in total on the test rig.

And yet, some really smart people around these parts expect a $400 console with a sub $200 GPU, to run these games at what? For context, the PS5 PC GPU equivalent runs that game at 18fps.

It's like people don't get that as console power goes up, the engines made to drive these games and the features they push usually go up too. These games are not being made on 2013-2018 engines. They are being made on engines that would bring $1600 GPUs to their knees. And when we have GPUs that would run these games at 2160p native and 120fps, we would have engines then that would make those GPUs struggle to hit 30fps too. Rinse and repeat.

And yet console upgrades are bad.
upgrades are only bad for the budget conscience.

Mr.Phoenix

upgrades are only bad for the budget conscience.
Yours is a nice way to put it. Budget-conscious people shud not feel bad about getting what they pay for and opting out of what they feel they can't afford.

Upgrades are only bad for the cynically insecure, jealous, and petty.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not really feeling why anyone would be upset. Have y'all seen Unreal 5's TAAU? It looks pretty fucking good, this is a far better solution than aiming for higher native pixel count and not having a performance mode, or a shitty performance mode, on fixed-spec console hardware.

UE5 TAAU at 1080p likely looks comparable, or better, to most games 1440p with other AA solutions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom