• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lords of the Fallen Game Length “Somewhere” Around 30 Hours

Draugoth

Gold Member
lords-of-the-fallen-screen-2.jpg

MP1st: How long is the game’s single player, will there be incentives to replay the game? New Game plus modes?

Saul Gascon –
The single player experience for us, like we know whatever enemy spawns, we know everything about it, think around 25 hours. For a new player it’s gonna be somewhere around the 30 or more.

Cezar Virtosu – Seeing that the tutorial area takes more than an hour and a half. For us, it takes like 25 minutes tops. So we are looking, I have some 30 hours or something.

Saul Gascon – 30 plus more or less. Then you have different endings. Like you have three different endings depending on which factions you align with, so that’s one of the replay values. Plus the different classes, so you want to try different types of builds and etc.

On top of this, is NG+. We have quite a few surprises waiting for players. Just as a brief one, you’ve seen (referring to our hands-on experience) that you have the Ancient Vestiges that are always there, they are present. You have the ones Vestige Seedlings that you can build yourself.

30 for main story only is fair. But how much of the game incentives you to explore? I think a lot of developers just have big worlds but don’t utilize game design techniques to push you or reward exploring. Post Elden ring world the bar has been raised.

Last edited:

Gojiira

Id rather know how much side content there is, is there optional areas/bosses,is there more than just endings for replay value?
Idk Im not convinced this is going to be anything more than meh.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Saul Gascon – 30 plus more or less. Then you have different endings. Like you have three different endings depending on which factions you align with, so that’s one of the replay values. Plus the different classes, so you want to try different types of builds and etc.

Lmao. This guys was terrified to just say “30 hours. Well paced. High quality throughout.”

He had to try his best to justify why it’s “only” 30 hours.

Devs are being pressured into padding shit into their game to make it 1 million hours just to satisfy the whiny ass gamer community.

Son, focus on quality, not length. They will cope

I think that’s a good length. I want more shorter, more well paced and structured games honestly. Every game doesn’t need to be 100+ hours long full of tedious, pointless side quests and filler.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I’d like to see a 20 hour game if you’re skilled and maybe 30-40 if you’re first starting out and leveling up. Then each NG+ shaves it down a couple hours from 20. If it’s filler then it’ll get boring before you ever see the ending.

Represent.

Right... they need to be hundreds of hours for $70+
Lmao yeah, no you're simply wrong.

First off, 30 hours of entertainment for 70 bucks is a goddamn bargain.

Secondly, quality over quantity always and forever.

100 hours of padding and repetitiveness is not worth more than 30 hours of a well paced, well crafted experience.

S0ULZB0URNE

Lmao yeah, no you're simply wrong.

First off, 30 hours of entertainment for 70 bucks is a goddamn bargain.

Secondly, quality over quantity always and forever.

100 hours of padding and repetitiveness is not worth more than 30 hours of a well paced, well crafted experience.
No I'm not as opinions are opinions.

$70 for ~30 hours is disappointing.

Nobody said anything about quality not being included.
For $70 the games should be long and high quality.
Games like this do exist, sadly not enough because of gamers like you settling for less.
🫡

DavidGzz

I'm so happy devs are delivering great graphics with a great aesthetic these days. From the first game to this one and from D3 to D4. Great stuff. I'm also glad this game was revealed late in development because we now don't have to wait years.

Represent.

Games like this do exist, sadly not enough because of gamers like you settling for less.
🫡
There isn't one single 100+ hour game that isn't full of repetitive padding.

30 hours is not short.

Like damn, why are gamers like this? So cheap.

We're talking about 30 HOURS here, not 3. 30. For 70 bucks. That is objectively good value.

100 hour games usually means 30 hours of actual game and the rest is repetitive fetch quests and abysmal padding. No thanks. Spend that extra time polishing the content that is actually good.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

There isn't one single 100+ hour game that isn't full of repetitive padding.

30 hours is not short.

Like damn, why are gamers like this? So cheap.

We're talking about 30 HOURS here, not 3. 30. For 70 bucks. That is objectively good value.

100 hour games usually means 30 hours of actual game and the rest is repetitive fetch quests and abysmal padding. No thanks. Spend that extra time polishing the content that is actually good.
Repetitive padding? A new spin.

GTFOH with it.
Elden Ring offers hundreds of hours of AAA gaming.

Spin it Repetitive...
Won't change its high review scores,high sales and the most GOTY awards ever it received.

It also had devs h8ing on its greatness.

Baldur's Gate 3 is another example as is TOK.

stickkidsam

🫡
Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Odyssey both take less than 15 hours to beat. Both absolutely amazing games.

No need to worry so much about the size of the boat ya degenerate :p

Represent.

GTFOH with it.

Spin it Repetitive...
Won't change its high review scores,high sales and the most GOTY awards ever it received.

Baldur's Gate 3 is another example as is TOK.
Every single game you listed has repetitive bosses and other repetitive shit in general. Whatever, enjoy it - as you can see you are in the minority in this thread lol

GTFOH with it.

Spin it Repetitive...

Baldur's Gate 3 is another example as is TOTK.
If you take into account the vast ocean of RPGs that can't do what those games you've listed can do, you'll quickly realize why every RPG game/studio simply isn't built to provide endless entertainment or shouldn't.

A great counterpoint to your example are Ubisoft games. There was literally a collective sigh of relief across the internet when they announced that the latest Assassin's Creed game will take way less time to beat than Valhalla. Another perfect example: Final Fantasy 16. The reception on that game went sour rather fast due to the immense amount of MMO-like padded side quests.

However, from saying all of that, if you still just want to be immersed for hundreds of hours, Starfield is just around the corner. Until then, this Lords of the Fallen game should be a decent appetizer for you.

Edit:
...And everyone saying stuff like this(especially during the 360/PS3 gen) is the exact reason why we're in the mess we're in right now. I'm not sure who started this garbage, the devs or the gamers, but equating 1 dollar to 1 hour/2 hours in a game has been poisoning the well for two generations now. Now you have genres that should not be long, being way too damn long in playtime. Action games that are 30-40 hours long, First Person Shooters that are 25-40 hours long, Stealth games that are 30-40 hours long, etc. The minute you pull back the curtain and realize that you've been doing the same exact mission type 10 times in a row fighting the same enemy type(but this time blue!), just with different NPCs in a copy-pasted open world zone, is when it's time for devs to cut back a bit.

Two of my favorite games of all time are Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black. They would be nowhere near my top list if either game were above 30 hours long. Why would anyone pad out either game? That's what a harder difficulty replay is for if you like it that much. That's what new game+ is for. Both games were fully worth 50-60 dollars back then. The value should be based on fun, not on hours spent. Padding so that the number of hours looks good on the back of a box is a fool's gamble.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

If you take into account the vast ocean of RPGs that can't do what those games you've listed can do, you'll quickly realize why every RPG game/studio simply isn't built to provide endless entertainment or shouldn't.

A great counterpoint to your example are Ubisoft games. There was literally a collective sigh of relief across the internet when they announced that the latest Assassin's Creed game will take way less time to beat than Valhalla. Another perfect example: Final Fantasy 16. The reception on that game went sour rather fast due to the immense amount of MMO-like padded side quests.

However, from saying all of that, if you still just want to be immersed for hundreds of hours, Starfield is just around the corner. Until then, this Lords of the Fallen game should be a decent appetizer for you.

Edit:

...And everyone saying stuff like this(especially during the 360/PS3 gen) is the exact reason why we're in the mess we're in right now. I'm not sure who started this garbage, the devs or the gamers, but equating 1 dollar to 1 hour/2 hours in a game has been poisoning the well for two generations now. Now you have genres that should not be long, being way too damn long in playtime. Action games that are 30-40 hours long, First Person Shooters that are 25-40 hours long, Stealth games that are 30-40 hours long, etc. The minute you pull back the curtain and realize that you've been doing the same exact mission type 10 times in a row fighting the same enemy type(but this time blue!), just with different NPCs in a copy-pasted open world zone, is when it's time for devs to cut back a bit.

Two of my favorite games of all time are Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black. They would be nowhere near my top list if either game were above 30 hours long. Why would anyone pad out either game? That's what a harder difficulty replay is for if you like it that much. That's what new game+ is for. Both games were fully worth 50-60 dollars back then. The value should be based on fun, not on hours spent. Padding so that the number of hours looks good on the back of a box is a fool's gamble.
TLDR all of it.

I didn't mention any of the games you did for examples and they all pale in comparison to my mentions.

Again we are in situations like this because of gamers like both of you who settle for less.
Every single game you listed has repetitive bosses and other repetitive shit in general. Whatever, enjoy it - as you can see you are in the minority in this thread lol
Again award winning highly acclaimed games.
As a person who's day one-ing LOTF.... I know it won't end up being half the game as the games I mentioned.
I don't need other posters for help or to make my opinion.

Again we are in situations like this because of gamers like both of you who settle for less.
Next time please read posts that you quote and respond to. That way you aren’t blindly making baseline arguments against S-tier games and using them as an example to say that someone is “settling for less”.

I hope you enjoy Lords of the Fallen.

S0ULZB0URNE

Next time please read posts that you quote and respond to. That way you aren’t blindly making baseline arguments against S-tier games and using them as an example to say that someone is “settling for less”.

I hope you enjoy Lords of the Fallen.
You mentioned ASScreed,DMC3,FF16,NGB and SF.

Only the latter is S tier,none should be used as a comparison and all of them is what I consider settling for less if they were $70.

This opinion of yours is why actual lengthy AAA games are few and far between.

I hope to enjoy LOTF but don't expect much meat on its bone sadly.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
30 hours is more than fine if it's a very good game.

Play time should never decide whether you buy a game or not.

Only the latter is S tier,none should be used as a comparison and all of them is what I consider settling for less if they were $70.
Since you’re adamant about sticking to RPGs let’s go back to my first post. By your logic in this thread, Mass Effect 2 and Dark Souls 1 would not be S-tier. Make it make sense.

S0ULZB0URNE

Since you’re adamant about sticking to RPGs let’s go back to my first post. By your logic in this thread, Mass Effect 2 and Dark Souls 1 would not be S-tier. Make it make sense.
It's 2023 now.
You can get hundreds of hours out of Dark Souls.

Edit:I never said a game had to be lengthy to be S tier.

We do have examples of S tier RPG's that are lengthy so it can and should be done more often.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

moving-goalpost.gif

Guess how else you’d get hundreds of hours out of Dark Souls?

By replaying the game/New game+

You can do it with Lords of the Fallen too.
Dark Souls is longer than ~30 hours and it gets even longer if we add the DLC but I'm not.

Taking a guess... id say DS has more incentives to play multiple play throughs than LOTF.

Top Bottom