• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Alpha Protocol

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Alpha Protocol is a 2010 action role-playing game set in a modern-day spy thriller. The game follows the protagonist, Michael Thorton, as he uncovers a global conspiracy while working for a covert agency. The gameplay is a mix of third-person shooting, stealth, and RPG elements, with a focus on player's impact on the narrative via the choices they make.

Playing it through for the first time this past week, it's not a masterpiece, but I'm glad I played it. The gameplay kind of blows. The movement and shooting feels clunky. The stealth feels too-unforgiving in the beginning before it becomes incredibly over-powered after maxing out the stealth skill tree and running silently at full-speed, taking out fools.

But that focus on player choice and it's impact on the narrative still holds up. It's in rare, royal company with Baldur's Gate 3 in that regard, in my opinion. At one point, I had to choose between
saving Madison St James, a woman who is in danger because of your actions and a bunch of innocent strangers about to be blown up in an art museum.
and I went with the former because my Thorton made a promise, knowing it was going to have shitty-feeling blowback. And the game isn't afraid to make you feel bad about it.

Reading up about different endings online, I was impressed at how different they can be, when the one I got felt fully fleshed-out and "canon". I'm guessing the others are, too.

Overall, I'd give it a 7 out of 10. But that's a 9 out of 10 story/narrative experience with 4 out of 10 gameplay.

If anybody knows of any other "7 out of 10" games that try something interesting, let me know.

Zannegan

You're spot on here, IMO. It's not a top-tier game, but it did some things really well.

I wish it had gotten a sequel that built up the good bits and ironed out the rough spots. Given the time it was made in though, chances are a sequel would have "streamlined" everything interesting out of the gameplay and failed to deliver on the story front, Mass Effect style. Maybe it's better not to know.

I'm still hoping to see a spiritual successor one day though.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I forgot about this, I actually want to pick it up for my PS3. I dread its perfomance though, but everything sounds right up my alley. An RPG spy game, like, yeah.

This is the kind of game that should be remade. Can you imagine keeping the plot and the choices, but with modern big budget presentations like TW3 or BG3 or CP2077, with modern 3p shooters combat. It would be an instant classic.

I pulled a used copy of this (was basically mint) for $8. I'm only a few hours in so, can't say I agree or disagree with your assessment but I can say I've enjoyed what I've seen. The characters and dialog are top tier and the graphics hold up nice for a 10+ yr old game.

So many hidden gems from that mid to late PS360 era.

StereoVsn

I feel that this would be a great game to do a proper remake. The story, characters, choices and outcomes are really good and with modern engine (no need for UE5) it could do really well.

Labadal

One of few games that I immediately restarted upon completion. First run was stealthy, no kills, recruit, so less skill points at the start, and some unique dialog options. Second run was as a a guns blazing veteran, with some unique dialog options. My runs had many differences, which impressed me. Like you say, the action elements isn't the strongest points of the game. A cult classic, and I am sad that we don't have something similar.

Roni

Gold Member
Alpha Protocol ended up being a perfect example of a game that should have ditched the action gameplay in favor of a straight up adventure experience.

Top Bottom