• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Bioshock Infinite - Fine I'll play your stupid Time Travel game, its only been 10 years and 4 Editions late

SCB3

Well now this is an interesting game for me from my backlog, a game that I have owned from Launch and never played more that 2 hours of, despite loving the original game, now in 2023, 10 years after its release, I'm gonna actually finish game plus this acclaimed DLC it has

So about my history with Infinite, back in 2013 it was my first year as a father and with new children and a poorly paying job came certain sacrifices, gaming being the big one for me, going from buying the Collectors editions of everything when I was free and single to now being super selective to what I bought, a few games for me got missed (and a major reason I never fully got into Skyrim being one, I will someday finish it, once I stop restarting it on every possible edition) and my wife treated me to Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us on my first fathers day! unfortunately, that PS3 was on its last days and by the time I had a chance to replace it, the PS4 was out

Back to Bioshock, I own almost every version of this fucking game and I just never found the time to play it or a want to, the first game is a masterpiece and I think its not to sully that game that makesme not want to play this, but I think its time, so join me as I chronicle my thoughts through this, playing on Steam Deck as well, seems very fitting

Last edited:

Kev Kev

Go in with an open mind. Infinite is a 10 year old game, there are going to be some aging issues, combat being the most glaring. But overall, I found it to be a fun ride when I replayed it not too long ago. Searching every nook and cranny is so satisfying to me, and BioShock games are some of the best for that.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I think reviewers got up their own asses saying how Infinite is a commentary on video games. I took the themes in this game as they applied to my own life and got more out of it than "Bioshock Infinite is a commentary on the very nature of video game sequels!"

And you know critics were being pretentious when I, an English major at the time, thought they took their analysis too far lol

Last edited:
It's just a different game than the 2 previous games (which were very similar). But on its own it's an enjoyable game with a great and unique atmosphere.

begotten

there are going to be some aging issues, combat being the most glaring. But overall, I found it to be a fun ride when I replayed it not too long ago.

Not sure I agree with this. I replayed Infinite last year and the combat was still shockingly fun for a 10 year old game.

BioShock had average gunplay, as admitted by Ken Levine's team themselves they weren't good at it.
BioShock 2 leaned too much into the gun weapons and the combat loop with the little sisters was boring, with some mechanical problems from before still intact.

BioShock Infinite on the other hand is where I feel like Irrational had finally made a mechanically sound feeling FPS. There was a good balance between using the more crazy plasmids and the normal guns felt great to shoot. Everything is just fast and fluid, considering the sky rail and executions on top of that.

I'm really excited for Judas because of this and how long that has been cooking.

hemo memo

Gold Member
It is a good game. Only fault of that game is that it is not Bioshock 1 or 2. Other than that from story to gameplay it is a solid game. I don’t understand the hate.

SCB3

So first hour down and got 2 Powers, possession and Devils Kiss, playing on Normal btw and got given a ton of stuff for having the season pass, a nice touch, and yea so far very heavy on action, got to the Raven Observetory which if I remember is where you meet Elizabeth and the Songbird

I don’t say this lightly, I would advise playing on normal difficulty only. You feel particularly underpowered on hard mode and the terrible enemy AI kills very quickly (they insta lock even when behind cover and there should be no way they can see you). It’s much more ‘fun’ on normal or standard mode or whatever it is. I didn’t much enjoy my first play through on hard difficulty but many of my frustrations disappeared on subsequent ’normal’ difficulty runs as you can play a bit more haphazardly.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Proud of you my guy. I hope you'll have a great time, it's been a long wait.

My only piece of advice:
FemaleInsignificantIrishsetter-size_restricted.gif

SCB3

Neither can I.
But it's a remaster, not a remake. Like the System Shock Enhanced Edition they released a few years back.
I mean its getting more than a upscaling, isnt it fully designed to be more modernised?

Back to Infinite, I didn't realise how much Race hating was in this, I was quite surprised and fits with the times in 1912, also I realised why I didn't like the setting, its the Sky setting, it feels a bit too far fetched to be a hidden community, Rapture from the first 2 games felt more Grounded if that makes sense, it had a great atmosphere alone. Still I'm enjoying Infinite, it plays well on Steam Deck as well

SCB3

Up to the First Lady area and my god the combat has been relentless compared to the original game, Shock and the Crows seem to be the OP combo right now though

SCB3

Wow the whole sequence leading up to and including the Zeppelin fight was intense, I was not expecting such a political game as well, took me by surprise a little, having a lot of fun though, the Charge Vigor with Fire Melee hits is fantastic

The ending thinks it's Christopher Nolan when reality it's Val Lewton, but I cannot deny the excellence of everything else. In my opinion the best BioShock game though I can imagine people having reservations about this sentiment.

Laptop1991

I loved the main game, Elizabeth became a bit overpowered when she could see behind all the doors, but i replay it often, i didn't like the dlc, the Daisy Fitzroy switch made no sense to me, it felt as if Ken Levine was killing his characters off so 2k couldn't use them

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I don’t say this lightly, I would advise playing on normal difficulty only. You feel particularly underpowered on hard mode and the terrible enemy AI kills very quickly (they insta lock even when behind cover and there should be no way they can see you). It’s much more ‘fun’ on normal or standard mode or whatever it is. I didn’t much enjoy my first play through on hard difficulty but many of my frustrations disappeared on subsequent ’normal’ difficulty runs as you can play a bit more haphazardly.
I was able to start the game on 1999. I forget how I unlocked it, but, anyway. It's brutal starting it on that. You have no idea how the abilities mesh with the combat, so you're not going to be as efficient going in, as, say, if you started on a Standard. I remember a few parts of the game being so fucking unforgiving... the
the graveyard.... I had t go back 4 hours into my playthrough just to prepare for that part, because I just didn't have the ammo or salts or health or even skill, lol
Once I got through that part, though... I felt invincible. It's one of the hardest parts in the entirety of the game, on a first playthrough.

SCB3

So I finished it just now and....wow, what an ending and game, how I avoided the spoilers for the ending for 10 years is kinda baffling to me especially with how the Originals is, it is very powerful and as a father of a young daughter and been through those tough financial times before, it really hits home for me

Quick review, it will never surpass the original, not a lot does imo but yea this is a very very good game that I wish I'd actually played back then and cannot believe its taken me until it's 10 year anniversary to complete. I may have to jump back in for the Burial at Sea DLC, but I'm kinda scared that it'll take away from the ending at the same time

Top Bottom