• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock is still so good

I got this game when I was 14 years old and I turn 30 in a few weeks...

It was one of my first very memorable, incredible gaming experiences. Everything about it was just so fresh and amazing. I had never played a game like it, and haven't really played one like it since.

I was so excited for Bioshock 2, but don't really remember much about it except that it didn't have near the impact that the first one had on me. It was a similar story with Infinite. But that first game, and the IP will always have a special place in my heart.

I was on Steam this weekend and I see the whole Bioshock trilogy on sale for like $12. The second I saw it I had a massive urge to play through it again. The first, which I have played several times but it had been awhile. And then the second two games which I had only played once each.

So that's the thread I guess, I had one night for a couple hours with the first game so far. It is still excellent. The setting, atmosphere, just the vibes. All top notch. I feel like we really don't see a brand new IP come out of nowhere and be a smash hit commercially and critically, anymore these days the way Bioshock did. The era of gaming may be behind us. But I am glad that we still have this gem from 2007 that has aged like fine wine.

Bioshock love thread, please add your own.

BigLee74

Socks were blown off when I first played the Bioshock demo, and realised the fire on the sea was not a cut scene. Proper BOOM!

The game itself was great.

Bioshock 2 was too similar to leave any significant impact with me.

Bioshock Infinite however, was just fantastic - the best of them all. Not an opinion shared with many others it would seem!

cormack12

Gold Member
I've started one multiple times. I've only completed infinite which I loved.

I've just got to the end of the first level in one again where you fight the first big daddy and dropped it again. I can run past it but man, can I fuck take it down. Got real close a couple of times, just don't have the will to play law of averages. Will go back to it at some point I imagine.

There's a lot more to appreciate with Bioshock 2 as time has passed on. Being able to use guns and plasmids at the same time plus the Big Sisters and more in story to tear through plus being a Big Daddy this time around. Also the Minervas Den DLC is like the Old Hunters DLC to Bloodborne.
Excited to play two again with fresh eyes. I remember the combat being a lot of fun. Just very little about the story. I also hear good things about the DLC.

Socks were blown off when I first played the Bioshock demo, and realised the fire on the sea was not a cut scene. Proper BOOM!

The game itself was great.

Bioshock 2 was too similar to leave any significant impact with me.

Bioshock Infinite however, was just fantastic - the best of them all. Not an opinion shared with many others it would seem!
I have a friend who says Infinite is by far the best, and probably his favorite game ever. I never agreed, but will be glad to get an updated perspective on that one.

Ogbert

I've started one multiple times. I've only completed infinite which I loved.

I've just got to the end of the first level in one again where you fight the first big daddy and dropped it again. I can run past it but man, can I fuck take it down. Got real close a couple of times, just don't have the will to play law of averages. Will go back to it at some point I imagine.
In the open area where one of the side rooms has telekinesis?

Just electrocute him and shotgun.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
There are certain moments in the original Bioshock and Infinite that just live in my head rent-free. I’ve really been craving a new game like that.

There are certain moments in the original Bioshock and Infinite that just live in my head rent-free. I’ve really been craving a new game like that.
It is impossible to imagine, in this day and age, a brand new game coming out and opening with anything half as amazing as the Rapture reveal during the Andrew Ryan monologue.

They simply don't make them like that anymore...

Senua

I liked it, but it was too linear and too much of a shooter, didn't evoke a single molecule of "shock". I think it's overhated just because it's a Bioshock game though.

cormack12

Gold Member
In the open area where one of the side rooms has telekinesis?

Just electrocute him and shotgun.
Yeah, just doesn't seem to be enough oomph in the weapons at the moment so it turns into a drawn out encounter where he only needs like two hits to wipe me. I'm being a bit lazy tbh but might go back to it after I finally complete ffvii remake

SHA

The series is a solid evidence that you don't need a strong hardware to create the best thing you could ever imagine, the real issue is games are just expensive.

Last edited:

Ogbert

Yeah, just doesn't seem to be enough oomph in the weapons at the moment so it turns into a drawn out encounter where he only needs like two hits to wipe me. I'm being a bit lazy tbh but might go back to it after I finally complete ffvii remake
Chug the health kits too. You can get them back easily.

Combat is a bit clunky but just spam electrocute and you’ll be fine.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I was a bit late playing the series (still haven't played Infinite). I think it was around 2015 or so before I played the first one (outside of a demo I believe) and I thought it was great. Overall I think I liked the second one more, but I played it for the first time around 2017 I think.

Both on PS4 btw.

brenobnfm

It was never good to begin with, a game when you're shooting shit 90% and the shooting is bad. The audacity some people have to say this is an immersive sim.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Spooky I reinstalled Bioshock last night and started playing. The remastered version looks great (although that underwater city tour is not as awe inspiring anymore) and the game is still awesome. Environmental story telling along with audio logs etc is still my favorite way to tell stories in games.
Amazing game but Prey did the whole 'immersive-sim, System Shock spiritual successor' a lot better in my opinion.
I also installed Prey over the weekend and that opening is just amazing, top tier game story where you are in the narrative rather than being shown a movie of it.

Last edited:
OG Bioshock was fantastic. I still remember moments like Sander Cohens triumphant descent down the stairway or the ‘would you kindly’ revelation. The epic last words of Andrew Ryan while you are forced to brutally beat him to death… ‘A man chooses, a slave obeys’. Such a great game and nothing like it at the time.

Bioshock 2 was good but not great like the original. Infinite was very good though the enemy AI was complete trash. I remember getting frustrated playing on the hard difficulty. Definitely one to play on normal difficulty even if you prefer challenging gameplay if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Sentenza

Counterpoint: it wasn't even that good when it was brand new. I never liked.
Poor mechanics. poor gunplay, hamfisted "morality system", mediocre level design.
A massive disappointment as the alleged spiritual successor of System Shock.

Arkane's Prey is in many ways everything I hoped Bioshock to be, except in its "done right" version.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
14 when BioShock released

I was fucking 26

family guy suicide GIF

NT80

I played them for the 1st time a couple of years ago. Thought Bioshock 1 was decent and got a lot better towards the end. 2 was the best overall. Great combat and the story was still good. Infinite had an interesting story and mind bending ending but the gameplay wasn't as good as 2. Supposedly Infinite had to be scaled down considerably from it's original concept in order to work on the aging PS3/360.

MagnesD3

I love it, its sad to see so many have turned thier backs on it, for me its still in my top 10 games of all time. Story, Atmosphere, Characters, Combat, Progression all excellent, only knock is a weak ending and I could take or leave the crafting stuff. I remember its one of the few games I bothered to get all the achievements in it because I just wanted to keep playing. Bioshock 2 and Infinite are quite a bit less good tho... really made me appreciate the difficulty of making one of these types of games work well as Ive played several poor mans bioshocks in the years after.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Good art style/direction, good game design, and Good story/atmosphere...that's really all you need to survive the test of time as a videogame (usually)

Last edited:
Top Bottom