• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: BOTW

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Brilliant game, and I was skeptical before it released.

An average Zelda game. Lack of real underground dungeons, repetative looking bosses, divine beasts having no atmosphere and the biggest kicker, not being able to explore Hyrule after vanquishing Gannon. Like I said, average.

What kind of absolutely bizarre request is this? If you beat Gannon, you're ending it. It wouldn't make sense for the world to continue on with just minor dialog changes or something. The whole tone of the world would have to be modified after Gannon is defeated, every single NPC's actions would be different, etc. It's illogical to ask for this... you can't possibly have thought it through.

EruditeHobo

Took me awhile to warm up to it, but I did eventually. Weapon durability is dumb, but I understand what they are going for on some level, and it is admittedly minimized by the korok upgrade to weapon inventory. But at the start of the game it leaves an incredibly sour taste in your mouth, it's just very, very anti-Zelda.

Very disappointed theres no good dungeons as well... another very anti-Zelda element to an other wise really good game.

It does get repetitive IMO, and the lack of enemy variety is another issue.

However my final analysis is it's a really, really good game with a great overall world, but in the end only a decent/good "Zelda" game.

I'm really curious what changes they make for the sequel... I anticipate it being pretty safe, honestly, but who knows.

In a way, the sparseness of the world made it feel more grounded and real to me. I realize many wouldn't agree with this, but the fact that it's not all on top of each other just increases the sense of scale for me.

Also, the world isn't as empty as it seems, there are always hidden chests and korok seeds around. Learning to see those patterns to discover them, can be very satisfying.

Try not to use maps that disclose the locations of items unless you are just mopping up before your final push to complete the game.

In saying this, different strokes for different folks. I hope you end up having as much fun with it as I did.
There are fun aspects to it and I keep trudging along, but some areas are just so big and empty and running isn’t fun because of your energy meter. It would be one thing if I could run the whole time, but you’re limited on running climbing and swimming, then the cold and heat, then the weapons breaking, then needing to make food, low armor, so on and so forth. The game is more of a chore than fun.

The beasts that you have to puzzle through are fun however.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

Brilliant game, and I was skeptical before it released.

What kind of absolutely bizarre request is this? If you beat Gannon, you're ending it. It wouldn't make sense for the world to continue on with just minor dialog changes or something. The whole tone of the world would have to be modified after Gannon is defeated, every single NPC's actions would be different, etc. It's illogical to ask for this... you can't possibly have thought it through.
You spend the whole game trying to vanquish evil from the land, interacting with all of the npcs, then once you defeat Gannon you get a cutscenes then fade to black. Yes I want to visit Hyrule once the evil is gone, yes I want to see what all the npcs are doing now I have helped them. Nothing illogical about it at all. The dev should have concidered it when building up attachments to all these npcs and this world.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You spend the whole game trying to vanquish evil from the land, interacting with all of the npcs, then once you defeat Gannon you get a cutscenes then fade to black. Yes I want to visit Hyrule once the evil is gone, yes I want to see what all the npcs are doing now I have helped them. Nothing illogical about it at all. The dev should have concidered it when building up attachments to all these npcs and this world.
This doesn’t make sense to me at all. When has a Zelda game ever given you access to the world post-Gannon defeat?

It would be a strange thing to waste a ton of resources building. If you go halfway and only add some dialogue but leave most of the world as-is, the defeat of the evil oppressing that world would feel anticlimactic and oddly inconsequential—because it should change everything, a cataclysmic event. And if you tried to actually rethink the whole world’s response to Gannon in a more thorough way, you’d waste massive developer resources on something clearly outside the plot’s scope.

Three

I'm slightly torn about the game being open world. I don't think there was anything inherently bad about the game being open world. I thought flavor wise, open world worked out very well for a Zelda title.
Is there a linear Zelda I don't know about? This isn't Zelda's first rodeo.

flying_sq

Just started playing it recently, not a fan of the breakable weapons. I'm about an hour or so into it, and there are a lot of them, but the game seems pretty boring so far. I activated the first tower, and haven't had a desire to get back into it. So far I really don't get the hype, I liked Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but always liked the 2d ones more. This is the first new Zelda game I have played probably since Oracle of Season/Ages or Windwaker, which ever one came out last. I'm just hoping there isn't any crafting in this game.

I wish the enemy health didn’t regenerate in master mode, it totally kills any chance for hit and run tactics. Besides that though, no complaints, perfect freakin game. Would recommend turning off the minimap to enhance the exploration experience, the game totally accommodates it. There are main roads with readable signs that take you around to every main area, traveling this way makes horses actually make sense.

NikuNashi

This doesn’t make sense to me at all. When has a Zelda game ever given you access to the world post-Gannon defeat?
Wasnt it you, or other posters here saying this is the best Zelda game (which it isnt for all the reasosn I detailed), shouldnt it be going above and beyond previous games?.
It would be a strange thing to waste a ton of resources building.

Its not a waste, as Ive detailed the reasons for it, you are just being deliberately obtuse.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Wasnt it you, or other posters here saying this is the best Zelda game (which it isnt for all the reasosn I detailed), shouldnt it be going above and beyond previous games?.

Its not a waste, as Ive detailed the reasons for it, you are just being deliberately obtuse.
No, this is an insane request. There is no plausible universe in which BOTW gives you the entire transformed map after Gannon's defeat. It would be such a waste of massive development resources to pull it off even minimally well that the rest of the actual game's scope would suffer. Nor does that concept have any precedence in the franchise. For that matter, what open world games ever really do this?

Top Bottom