• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why am I seeing so many people say they are liking TOTK even though they didnt like BOTW?

LakeOf9

I dont get it

dont misunderstand me, I loved botw and im liking totk a lot too, but totk seems to be botw but more. I dont mean that in a bad way, but it confuses me when I see people saying they never liked botw but are loving tots.

why? how? what changed? totk is more botw and it seems to go in even harder on the stuff about botw that people got pissed off about (like the shrines or the weapon durability). the story is better for sure, but its not a huge difference, like maybe a 15-20% difference. the dungeons are better, but not by much, 15-20% difference. there is a huge map, and its all awesome, but there was a huge awesome map in botw and that wasnt enough then.

so what changed? if you didnt like botw but like totk, what happened?

diffusionx

Gold Member
When this game was in development and Nintendo released these trailers showing the same map and shit and I was like "there was no way Nintendo spent six years on making the same game in the same map there has to be a lot they're not showing us" and it turns out there was.

Your numbers are completely arbitrary

LakeOf9

When this game was in development and Nintendo released these trailers showing the same map and shit and I was like "there was no way Nintendo spent six years on making the same game in the same map there has to be a lot they're not showing us" and it turns out there was.

Your numbers are completely arbitrary
there is a lot more of it, I completely agree, but what there is a lot more of is botw lol. its all more botw, and thats great because botw was great, but there were some people who didnt like it, and now they seem to like totk, im just trying to understand why.

ungalo

What i actually see is people who've been praising BoTW for years and are now saying it was a sketch for TotK, which seems ridiculous to me. I guess the need for hyperboles when the new shit comes out.

But otherwise i don't know people who didn't like BoTW formula and ended up liking TotK.

LakeOf9

You should play the game. Its constructing mechanism is a massive change. Being able to construct a boat or a cart your own way is like a lego-mini-game itself.
As I said in the OP and then my other post in this thread, I have played a lot of, and really like, TOTK

I love it because it's more BOTW, I don't see how they are so dramatically different

Hawk269

I think the big thing is that there is a lot more going on in the world than in BOTW. I am enjoying the new game a lot more than BOTW which I did love and finished. The new game just starts off really strong and a lot to do and learn.

Neff

but there were some people who didnt like it, and now they seem to like totk, im just trying to understand why.

I'm guessing because so much more of the game is hidden and/or locked off from you now compared to BotW. If you saw something interesting in BotW, you could basically brute force your way there if you had the stamina. Now points of interest are absurdly out of reach or completely invisible unless you search around thoroughly. Becoming stronger, finding more stuff, understanding the way stuff works, and exploring in every dimension is more important than ever, and it goes without saying that the opportunity for thinking outside the box with regards to physics and abilities is hugely increased. It may lack the novelty and freshness BotW had at release, but TotK is a much bigger, more complex, more varied, and more satisfying game.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
As I said in the OP and then my other post in this thread, I have played a lot of, and really like, TOTK

I love it because it's more BOTW, I don't see how they are so dramatically different
The constructing game mechanics and the Zonia devices mechanics are both game changer themselves. But I guess after explaining it and you still don't see it, there's nothing more to say.

Last edited:
Plays very differently than BOTW due to the focus on the abilities - also can’t remember but it seems like the shrines are way more interesting/fun than they were in BOTW as well due to this

kunonabi

I'm not sure how I feel about TotK yet but so far the tutorial section is awful and I'm the controls could be much better due to some very strange decisions on Nintendo's part. It is a miserable first impression especially since it's so similar to botw in a way that does make it feel like glorified dlc but I'm hoping hyrule turns things around. The enemy variety and fuse system at least are doing a good job of addressing some of my issues with botw so it at least has that over botw so far.

sainraja

I think it is "timing" and the mindset of the person when playing the game... there are games that don't initially "click," but when you try them later on, you are left confused as to why you didn't feel the same way when you initially tried them. I think this applies to most of the people who are now enjoying TOTK vs BOTW—some might not want to admit this, but that's my take on it.

Laieon

I've only played the introduction (working on my grad school capstone project and decided to devote most of my gaming time this weekend to Diablo 4), but as someone who didn't love BOTW and has been avoiding most of the reactions to TOTK, this is only good news to me.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Because it's a way better game

oh-yeah-mrw.gif

Way betters deeper open world way more of a Zelda game

BOTW was just like a tutorials for TOTK

ArtHands

I think it is "timing" and the mindset of the person when playing the game... there are games that don't initially "click," but when you try them later on, you are left confused as to why you didn't feel the same way when you initially tried them. I think this applies to most of the people who are now enjoying TOTK vs BOTW—some might not want to admit this, but that's my take on it.

Maybe OP can't understand the logic that people's mind, taste and opinion can change over time.

Last edited:

PerfectDark

Banned
I didn't like BOTW. Weapon durability killed it for me. I seen you can fuse and unfuse or w/e the call it to make weapons last longer. Still no interest in this game. I can already feel the weak console and low fps without playing the game.

Madflavor

no need to get personal lol, I love both games, im trying to understand what caused the change of heart

as far as im concerned, more people coming around to loving botw's template is great

I think it might be because TotK addresses some of the weaknesses of BotW. It sounds like TotK addresses some of my issues with BotW. I won’t know til I play TotK later this year. It’s got big shoes to fill since Elden Ring gave me the kind of open world I didn’t get from BotW.

I think it might be because TotK addresses some of the weaknesses of BotW. It sounds like TotK addresses some of my issues with BotW. I won’t know til I play TotK later this year. It’s got big shoes to fill since Elden Ring gave me the kind of open world I didn’t get from BotW.
I’d be interested to see ur thoughts - personally loved BOTW due to the sense of discovery, but then Elden Ring came out and dethroned it for me. Still not sure where TOTK lands - Elden Rings world is still the best world imo, it was a bit of an adjustment going back to Hyrule from that - but I will say these new systems add something neither BOTW or Elden Ring has, and the verticality is insane. Ultimately I enjoy combat most in video games so Elden ring will prob win out in the end

Madflavor

I’d be interested to see ur thoughts - personally loved BOTW due to the sense of discovery, but then Elden Ring came out and dethroned it for me. Still not sure where TOTK lands - Elden Rings world is still the best world imo, it was a bit of an adjustment going back to Hyrule from that - but I will say these new systems add something neither BOTW or Elden Ring has, and the verticality is insane. Ultimately I enjoy combat most in video games so Elden ring will prob win out in the end

I plan on playing it sometime during the holidays this year. I’m sure I’ll post my thoughts though.

Chiggs

Here, I'll sum it up for you:
  • Better enemy variety
    • And much, much better bosses.
  • Better exploration, especially with the caves and
    underworld.
  • Neutralizing the frustration of weapon durability by adding the Fuse mechanic.
  • Shrines are more fun, partially because of the new abilities.
  • Better storytelling.
  • Better NPCs.
  • Better quests.
I thought Breath of the Wild was one of the biggest, emptiest, most overrated gaming experiences of all time...but Tears of the Kingdom is simply incredible.

I've played enough to feel that BotW was essentially a tech demo compared to how good this game is.

Well said. I completely agree.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s the fuse system. Finally made combat fun and not tedious.

It’s the physics system finally being utilized during gameplay thanks to the power that lets you create your own tools and solutions.

Its the new abilities which are way better than the magnet and stoppage abilities. You can fly at the very start of the game. No more tedious walking.

That said the game has slowed down a lot since i left the tutorial area so it better pick up soon.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'm not sure how I feel about TotK yet but so far the tutorial section is awful and I'm the controls could be much better due to some very strange decisions on Nintendo's part. It is a miserable first impression especially since it's so similar to botw in a way that does make it feel like glorified dlc but I'm hoping hyrule turns things around. The enemy variety and fuse system at least are doing a good job of addressing some of my issues with botw so it at least has that over botw so far.
Bigger and slightly less breakable depending on what you fuse.

It'll turn around. I think we're all somewhat in the same place.

Raven117

there is a lot more of it, I completely agree, but what there is a lot more of is botw lol. its all more botw, and thats great because botw was great, but there were some people who didnt like it, and now they seem to like totk, im just trying to understand why.
Games hit you different at different times. I didn’t particularly care for BotW, this just feels like more of the same. Super tedious.

And yeah… this is an “apple” product. Other companies have done similar things (banjo nuts and bults is a joke my buddies have also made)…. But Nintendo does it…. And woooah!

Don’t get me wrong, I did the world and vibe… but fuck… it’s like the game is actively not wanting me to have fun sometimes.

ArtHands

I thought it was obvious I was talking about the general reception of the game and not your personal one. Seems that was enough to trigger you though.

It wasn't obvious. Either way, like I said, its fine for people to change their mind. And I have no idea which individuals hate on that game and like the other for the same reason. You should point out who, I can ask him for you.

nkarafo

Does it have the same insane durability rates?

Banjo Kazooie Nuts and bolts was hated on for that.

Nintendo do it and now it's amazing?
Not the same case.

Nuts & Bolts was based on that feature alone, making it almost a different genre of a game.

In Zelda is just one of it's many mechanisms while the base game is the same as before.

[*]Neutralizing the frustration of weapon durability by adding the Fuse mechanic.
So, it's almost like them admitting the weapon durability in the previous game was a bad mechanic.

Last edited:

Nocturno999

How can you even determine who disliked BOTW and now loves TOTK?
Is the sample significant enough to come to that conclusion?

It's amazing the mental gymnastics you people do to keep dissing the game's critical praise.

Fredrik

Those who disliked BOTW were probably exaggerating the negatives for platform war reasons or for being too much of a hardcore old school Zelda fan. There is no platform war brewing right now and they’ve got used to the Zelda changes. Now they can finally see the light! And it is oh so good!

Majukun

I guess because it has the same base, but many of the mechanics and gameplay loop have been altered considerably .
if you think about traversal, already the ability to start from thousand feet in the air and just glide (or build a plane) to your destination reduces the traversal times a lot...sure it takes some of the exploration away, but they probably considered that using the same map but changed, part of the exploration magic would be gone and the points of interest would come from what looks different from the past iteration.

that's how game design works, same ingredients with different quantities plus a couple of new ones can completely change the feeling of a game...it goes way past "oh durability is still in so it is just like botw"
in fact totk took completely out most of the item management from botw due to fusion...you can create a new decent weapon from scratch as long as you keep engaging powerful enemies for monster parts.

I’ve seen some opposite reactions. Some people mentioning it doesn’t have the same sense of wonder and discovery as BotW, due to reused assets and maps. They still like the game, but aren’t blown away by the world like last time.
definitely the wonder of exporation is diminished due to the new traversal quirks i described...the main exploration input comes from what is different from the past more than discovering the geography of a map that is already familiar.

Last edited:

Filben

Here, I'm one of them and I'll try to explain.

When BotW came out it may have revolutionized the open world formula for many but for me it was open world nonetheless and the fatigue, after the even in 2017 bazillionth Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, et al, was strong. Not to mention they now took a beloved childhood IP with strong and fond emotions attached to and made it one of the most overused gameplay design.

When I started BotW I immediately loved the art style but the controls where complex for a Zelda game and required learning to do things intuitively. While the open world approach wasn't new at its core it was kind of overwhelming. Guidance is there but not as strong as in your typical open world game and definitely a lot less than in previous Zelda games. After reaching the first main quest checkpoints I was soon lost and wandered about, finding things that would break after a few times using and felt underwhelmed by exploration's rewards.

The story and a strong bond to characters and their stories and conflicts and locations weren't as strong as in previous Zeldas. Mainly because it could take 10 hours to proceed meaningful instead of cooking the 100th recipe or scaling the 100th mountain to find not what I was looking for.

Then add the mini dungeons that had no real connection to the world but teleported you somewhere that could have been anywhere. If you compared that to old Zelda dungeons which were distinctive to their locations you've find them in, this felt quickly like busy work. Mechanically clever but busy work nonetheless.

After 10 hours I put it away and never turned back. Too weak was the pace of the story, too far away was my mindset from what it needed to be to enjoy this game.

Now, after replaying older titles in the mean time I realised how the old formula overstayed its welcome. Having to find that ONE solution to a puzzle, having to do everything in a very specific order, being maybe hours in a location you don't find exciting but need to be in to solve the puzzle. The all-repeating mechanics like finding these little ghost/souls things as wolf Link in Twilight Princess's shadow world. Urgh. It's cool one time or maybe two times but not like what, seven times? And you can't solve it cleverly, creatively or any other way. It's okay when you have fun and like, but having no shortcuts if it's not fun is... annoying.

Then I started to think that maybe BotW idea was right but its execution not good enough for me or not fully understood. I don't know if the pace would have gotten better by playing BotW differently; the price you pay with open world, as it is not as sharply told as it is usually with linear experiences. But the narrative in previous Zelda games, with one outlyer, was always the strongest only with the first three dungeons. After that only rarely something happens in the narrative. After traveling to the future in OoT and reaching the forest temple, there's barely happening something and you go on to a multitude of dungeons and by the look of the world you couldn't tell if I'm at the second or sixth dungeon. It doesn't matter except for my items.

I learned to let that go and if I wanted that again I can always play the old titles or new Zelda clones. Now enter TotK.

After getting used to the weapon breaking mechanics and that I don't have to fight every enemy (in previous Zelda games there was very little to nothing to gain from it anyways), the loot became more and more rewarding because I needed it or I would have something just in case. For example I'm soon be running out of fire fruits because I often use them for survival mechanics (but I could also use flintstones, which is cool, so there's not one only way) but for combat, too. Now a chest or locations with them would feel really rewarding to me.

After I used all my bows for one giant enemy I was happy to find a new one the next enemy has dropped after beating him.

There's so much I could write about the mechanics, so many examples. The main gist is that I don't have to be crafting vehicles and other stuff all the time which I'm not a fan of (I don't care what people on YouTube will build with the ultra hand) but to have so many different solutions or maybe it's like in a traditional puzzle and you only have that one solution but you try out so many different things that it makes sense to try out because the world is reactive, interactive and allows for many things. It has set rules that are always applied (with one exception that you can't climb in mini dungeons). There's no scripted interactivity, something that only works in that instance, like climbing In Horizon where the devs want you to climb.

One last example: I wanted to reach that bird village to the North west. I already thought that climbing wouldn't be possible because of the ice that I'd needed to scale. I tried anyways, used a potions that was supposed to give me better purchase on wet and slippery surfaces after rain, and it didn't work, as I anticipated because it was raw ice and not just a wet rock. I reloaded a save game, listened again to that dialogue of that woman before the collapsed bridge and then found the way to cross said bridge and reach the village. It feels very cool.

Now to the story. The opening alone is much more interesting to me than in BotW. I'm a sucker for character interaction and that's why I rarely play games where there's no or too little interaction. After completing the prologue sky area and coming to the ground I've met Purah and that other little girl, I've met Impa and several other characters that were just fun to talk to or help getting something. It is lighthearted interaction and after roaming the wild for an hour, finding a hut with people to talk to, that even have a little quest, just feels great.

I'm naturally guided to the next encounter in a way I wasn't in BotW. Maybe because I've read the world wrong and now have a better understanding where designers want me to go. Maybe because TotK is better in that regard. I'm not sure.

Maybe I'd like BotW now more than before because I've set my expectations now differently and accordingly.

Anyways, regardless if this makes sense or not, I'm having a blast with TotK.

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
When I was playing TotK, I was thinking of Elden Ring. Both that and BotW just left me cold honestly, I really really wanted to like them, same with all other Zelda's, I always got bored way before I finished them.

I thought there was something wrong with me. But I loved and finished the Souls games, the Darksiders games etc, not sure what it is.

Mr Branding

Yea, can vouch for this.
Totk is magical to play even tho:
1. Botw didn’t really grab me at first and found it a chore to play sometimes
2. Considering the point above, adding building to this seemed tedious in my mind
3. Playing in the same world also seemed not great since Botw became kind of boring at the end.

Yet, here I am, building all sorts of cool stuff and exploring and having tons of fun with a gamey ass videogame. I’m seriously feeling this game is something truly special.

Last edited:

Mozza

Yea, can vouch for this.
Totk is magical to play even tho:
1. Botw didn’t really grab me at first and found it a chore to play sometimes
2. Considering the point above, adding building to this seemed tedious in my mind
3. Playing in the same world also seemed not great since Botw became kind of boring at the end.

Yet, here I am, building all sorts of cool stuff and exploring and having tons of fun with a gamey ass videogame. I’m seriously feeling this game is something truly special.
Funny thing about all those new mechanics, they look so natural, just like they were there all along.

Top Bottom