• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3 for $60 or Elden Ring for $35. Which should I buy?

Baldur's Gate 3 for $60 or Elden Ring for $35?

• Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 84 40.6%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 123 59.4%

• Total voters

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Respectfully, I have no idea why you're trying to provide suggestions in my thread if you haven't even played both games.
It's enough I've played Elden Ring and I can recommend it.

If you wanted BG3, you would know it. You know what type of game it is. We can't help you with that

BG3 is a rip off price in Canada at $94. It can eat a dick until the price comes down. Most expensive game on the digital marketplace.

aclar00

I know nothing of BG3 so i would say Elden Ring, but it has the basic soul's formula that sounds like you wouldnt get into. However, i think sticking with it until the first boss and playing the co-op portions really goes a long well in helping you get your feet wet and actually enjoying it more.

GymWolf

The cheapest one first so by the time you get the second one it's gonna be cheaper.

Those are not 50 hours games but way, way longer.

Last edited:

Nankatsu

Gold Member
Try them on Steam and if you don’t like them after 1 hour and 45 mins refund it.

Personally I think both are must plays and game of the gen material.
With only that amount of time to try it out, I'm pretty sure many people will dislike Elden Ring :messenger_tears_of_joy:

thuGG_pl

huh? its bad because its tactical based. i simply hate turn-based games period. so for OP he needs to settle on what combat style he wants.
You think OP doesn't know BG3 is turn based?
He wouldn't be considering it if he hated it like you do.

Last edited:

Wooxsvan

You think OP doesn't know BG3 is turn based?
He wouldn't be considering it if he hated it like you do.
hes literally asking about the combat. so im providing my input. Elden Ring has some of the best in the series w/ all the weapons and magic available. combine that with the massive amount of boss and mini boss encounters and its an easy win.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
I cannot for the life of me choose.

Both are games that took the bar and raised it far above the heads of their contemporaries for their respective subgenres (and really all genres IMO).

Souls series is my favorite series, so I'm biased towards Elden Ring, which absolutely blew me away and is to this day probably the "best" game I've ever played (despite it's flaws).

Baldur's Gate 3, on the other hand, is from a subgenre I've really never interacted with and it absolutely murdered any other turn based AND any other narrative driven game for me.

The good news is, you cannot go wrong.

Flutta

Banned
Start with Elden Ring, BG3 is a weird ass game. I couldn’t get in to it. It’s also turn based and slow. I mean if you into that go for it otherwise stay away lol 😂

Either way you can’t go wrong with Elden Ring.

Last edited:

hinch7

Depends if you like CRPG's. If you don't or unsure then its not a cut and clear and Elden Ring is the more safer choice. Its way cheaper too and BG3's price will drop.

Could always play an hour of BG3 and see if you like it otherwise get a refund on Steam.

Last edited:
It depends on what type of games you like, regardless of word of mouth. If you enjoy action games,
ER would likely be your pick (but you haven't enjoyed any Souls game prior so...maybe not). If you enjoy turn-based
combat and dialogue heavy gameplay, then BG3.

As others have said, probably ER now for the $ value, and then BG3 later once it's cheaper.

GHG

53265829639_b13fe6920a_c.jpg

The Good Doctor Help GIF by ABC Network

Marvel Balance GIF

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Wait a year for BG3. It's a better game than Elden Ring, but it's a bug-filled mess right now. It will be god tier in a year when they finish patching out the bugs.

Success

OP, I am going to give you the opinion of someone who hated Souls games and enjoyed Divinity Original Sin 2.

Bounced off Demon's Souls hard, and never found the genre fun.

Bought Elden Ring at launch because of the hype.

Never had bigger buyer's remorse after playing it for the first hour.

Once the third hour hit I was having the most magical single-player journey of awe and exploration.

At the 50 hour mark, Elden Ring became one of my best single player games of all time.

As you know OP, there is a reason why Elden Ring hit mainstream and Dark Souls didn't.

LakeOf9

Gonna be honest, they’re both a bit overrated (but both amazing and worth playing)

Since ER is cheaper I say go for that for now, but check out BG3 later

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why buy the game that hasn’t been discounted over the one that is, first?

Both are amazing so go Elden Ring first.

Fbh

Since both games are great I'd just go with the cheaper one. By the time you are done with Elden Ring Baldur's Gate might even be on sale.

Based on your post though it seems like you'd probably like Baldur's Gate more, but it will depend on what it is about previous Souls Games that you didn't like.

killatopak

If I was filthy rich, I would buy Elden Ring for you so you won’t have to choose.

I haven’t played BG3 yet so I can’t personally recommend it.

MagnesD3

Elden Ring is most likely the best game ever made so I say that.

BG3 is also supposed to be good too, its more about interpersonal relationships and freedom of choice compared to elden ring that has incredible combat/exploration/lore.

They are both quite long.

BigLee74

Well I hate turn based combat, and I can’t stand souls-type games, so I’m as much use here as a cock flavoured lollipop.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
This is much harder than 'Cyberpunk vs Starfield' shit
Buy cheap Elden Ring, it will consume you for at least 2-3 month. Then BG3 maybe gone cheaper and will be patched multiple times while Elden Ring is pretty much final version right now.

I like BG3 a lot, but as someone who played all the Divinity games I could easily call it *just another Divinity game.

The people calling BG3 a brand new kind of game have never played Larian's previous games.

It's like the people who never played a Souls until Elden Ring and were completely blown away. It just the one that somehow hit critical mass with the casuals.

BG3 is just an evolution of the DoS games the same way Elden Ring is an Evolution of souls. And it builds on top of a lot of D&D type turn based gaming that came before it.

If you are already bored of Souls type games and want to try a totally different genre get BG3. But understand it is not a brand new kind of game or anything. It is an evolution of a niche genre that has only recently become trendy again.

As someone who bought BG3 in early access in 2020 I am happy but completely baffled that in 2023 suddenly BG3 is the hottest new thing with the kids. But I am happy for Larian that finally people are playing their game and getting recognition for being great.

Thirty7ven

Banned
OP, I am going to give you the opinion of someone who hated Souls games and enjoyed Divinity Original Sin 2.

Bounced off Demon's Souls hard, and never found the genre fun.

Bought Elden Ring at launch because of the hype.

Never had bigger buyer's remorse after playing it for the first hour.

Once the third hour hit I was having the most magical single-player journey of awe and exploration.

At the 50 hour mark, Elden Ring became one of my best single player games of all time.

So that was it, you need a Souls set in an open world? It’s the only difference.

It’s like saying “man I hated looter shooters and then X game went open world and it was the best thing ever”. You also should explain the op what do you mean by exploration, because simply seeing areas with more enemies is one thing, and maybe some people are more interested in the stories that happen when you discover new areas. It’s not Zelda either where you get to solve physic based puzzles or whatever. Some people want more than new enemies in a new set.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

BG3 is an amazing game that got many people who don’t like CRPGs to love it. It has a huge story, amazing characters, and many intricate choices and consequences.

Elden Ring is well done open world Souls game. I liked it despite not liking Souls games in general, but BG3 is on another level. Especially if you like story/characters BG3 is miles ahead.

SJRB

Gold Member
The two games are vastly different and pitting them against each other is dumb as fuck. So don't be a gonk, look up some gameplay and make your own decision.

Three

I'd say both is a good option but if you're on a budget then clearly Elden Ring first because while you're playing that the other might get a discount too.

Elden Ring to me is easily in the top 3 best games I've ever played, but if you're not into Souls style games, it won't change your mind. I'd go with BG3, providing you enjoy turn based CRPGs, you'll have a great time!

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Both. They're two of the greatest games this side of the millennium.

Top Bottom