• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just got into Soulsborne games

KillaJamm

So I've never really been into From software games or soulsbourn games in general. I've always purchase them but get about 20 hours in before giving up. So I recently just thought fuck it and went in hard at Elden ring, and once I got a good build and was doing well I couldn't put it down. What a game. Anyway so next is Demon souls on PS5 and DAMN tbe graphics and animations are like a generational leap. Like seriously what's limiting Fromsoft? The engine? I honestly don't know, next on my list is sekiro then the dark souls trilogy so will get more of an opinion there but would be good to here other people's opinions on this!

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I'm almost sure that From are still using some of the animations they made for the original Demon's' Soul's. But they also have their own in house art style which focusses more on dark, desaturated, grainy images than what is considered impressive by other studios.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hope you have as much fun as I did with those games. If you are up for the challenge, check out the King's Field games, the one for the PS2 is a great entry point and a pretty cool game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
So I've never really been into From software games or soulsbourn games in general. I've always purchase them but get about 20 hours in before giving up. So I recently just thought fuck it and went in hard at Elden ring, and once I got a good build and was doing well I couldn't put it down. What a game. Anyway so next is Demon souls on PS5 and DAMN tbe graphics and animations are like a generational leap. Like seriously what's limiting Fromsoft? The engine? I honestly don't know, next on my list is sekiro then the dark souls trilogy so will get more of an opinion there but would be good to here other people's opinions on this!

No Bloodborne mentioned????

Shut the thread down and ban this fool!

Hohenheim

Godspeed!
You have lots of amazing games ahead.
And welcome to the "waiting for a Bloodborne-remaster" club, which is a lot more hardcore than any of these games!

Bartski

Gold Member
next on my list is sekiro
american gladiators pain GIF

BossLackey

Gold Member
Some of the absolute greatest games ever made.

To me, they perfectly embody the dark fantasy adventure I always wanted. Demon's Souls but especially Dark Souls were an absolute revelation, and everything that has come since has been fantastic.

And somehow they doubled down on that feeling with Elden Ring and I hate open world games.

They're just so good!

MiguelItUp

I was much like you OP. I kept supporting the games because I loved so much about them, but the games just never clicked. It wasn't until Demon's Souls on PS5 where something finally clicked, and clicked hard. The ONLY thing I haven't played and beaten is Bloodborne because I was really holding on to the idea of a remaster or remake. But I'm tired of waiting, I'll probably just dive back into it sometime soon, lol.

You're on the right track OP, I'm stoked for you!

i wouldnt play them all back to back... unless you have a raging souls boner, then sure.

save a few for when there's a dry spell of new good games.

Last edited:
Dark Souls Remastered would be my vote - the length is decent and the mechanics will come easily to you. Sekiro is brilliant but a different kettle of fish.

Phase

No Bloodborne mentioned????

Shut the thread down and ban this fool!
My thought exactly!

OP you have to play BB. Easily top 3 souls game and my personal #1. Everything about it is brilliant. Some will mention framerate, but it never bothered me and I'm a fps snob. Plus, it's a standalone game so you can play it whenever along your list.

NoobSmog

Anyway so next is Demon souls on PS5 and DAMN the graphics and animations are like a generational leap. Like seriously what's limiting Fromsoft? The engine?
To be fair, Demon's souls looks better than most games. Unfortunately the amount of effort and money it takes to make a game look that good isn't worth the return on investment on this type of game. It's going to cost more money than you'd get back from more sales and also increases dev time.

I was once you. I envy you. Just wait until the glory of the Ashen One.

Saber

Gold Member
Its not a limiting factor. They priorize other things rather than focusing on just graphics. They deliver a full experience: story/lore, gameplay, art direction, characters, dialogues, quests, weapons, etc. Same happens with Bloodborne.
I would rather want them to stick with Elden Ring than ultra realistic graphics that ages as the time passes and offers nothing but eye candy.

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's a bit late, but I would recommend release order if you're going to visit the whole library. You can clearly see and feel the thread of progression that runs through Demons > Dark 1 > Bloodborne > Dark 3 > Elden Ring, and going backwards means slowly giving up UI, QoL, and gameplay enhancements From picked up along the way while punishing things that worked well in the previous title. I worry that by the time you get to DS1 you'll not be as receptive to it and you won't get to appreciate that it does some things better than any other game in the genre.

Dark 2 is vastly different to Dark 2 by design and Sekiro being a different style of game (while still retaining a lot of the gameplay design philosophies), but they still benefit from the changes along the way. Likewise, Elden Ring does copy paste some things from Sekiro.

There are a fair few things that have essentially been copy pasted from Demon's all the way up to Elden Ring, so luckily you can for the most part pick up any of the games and get stuck in.

Last edited:

KillaJamm

Appreciate all the responses guy's! So yeah I think after Demon Souls I'll just a finish them off in release order, only exception will be when Shadow of the Erdtree releases cause that's going to be day one for me 👊🏽. I reckon Bloodbourne will stick out a bit as its still only 30fps but I'll have to tough it out I guess!

NikuNashi

I was much like you OP. I kept supporting the games because I loved so much about them, but the games just never clicked. It wasn't until Demon's Souls on PS5 where something finally clicked, and clicked hard. The ONLY thing I haven't played and beaten is Bloodborne because I was really holding on to the idea of a remaster or remake. But I'm tired of waiting, I'll probably just dive back into it sometime soon, lol.

You're on the right track OP, I'm stoked for you!
It's like this was written by me, exactly the same From experience. Demake clicked hard and was incredible, Bloodborne slideshow was unplayable and am waiting for a remake ( by bluepoint I hope).

KillaJamm

i wouldnt play them all back to back... unless you have a raging souls boner, then sure.

save a few for when there's a dry spell of new good games.
Yeah I was thinking I'll probs get burnout but I tried to fit a different game in between Elden Ring and Demon Souls and all I wanted to do was play Demons souls, felt like I was forcing myself to play Avatar lol

KillaJamm

My thought exactly!

OP you have to play BB. Easily top 3 souls game and my personal #1. Everything about it is brilliant. Some will mention framerate, but it never bothered me and I'm a fps snob. Plus, it's a standalone game so you can play it whenever along your list.
Yeah I've got it so it's deffo on the list, just think it will be pretty jarring playing them all at 60fps then Bloodbourne at 30 but I'm sure I'll adjust.

Top Bottom