• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Gravity Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
So after making a note to watch this a while back I finally got around to seriously watching it.

Holy crap this show is awesome! Been on a bit of a bingeing spree with it.

Mabel is totally the best...and Grunkle Stan...and Soos. xD

I just watched Weirdmageddon episode 1. Holy crap this got dark! Season 2 has had more mature content compared to part 1, but was really kinda surprising some of the things already. Not that I'm complaining.

So, after Season 2, is that pretty much it? Is the 3DS game worth playing, does it add any story or take place during one of the first two seasons? Oh, and are the books worth getting? I see Dipper's Journal #3 is on Amazon too!

I'll just leave you guys with a funny picture of Mabel.

7rO1cKN.gif

*Quack Quack Quack*

Tizoc

The 3DS game is decent, nothing amazing but if you want some more GF cuteness check it out.
Also watch the shorts if you haven't yet.
Soos is of course short for
Jesus

Impotaku

Nowdays i just tend to watch anime but recently i decided to catch up with what the west had been putting out, i went looking for recommended shows and came across Rick & Morty and i also saw that Gravity falls was highly rated so i ended up getting that one as well. I have to admit when i saw that Disney logo i was initially put off as with Disney it's usually dumbed down kiddy crap that they churn out, but consider me totally blown away when i actually started watching it.

By the end of season 1 i was hooked, Mabel & Dippers relationship is really nicely done even through all the shit that goes on they still are always there for each other. I thought they would become annoying but they are written in just the right way to make them charming, Bill the psychotic dorito is also a great character, his powers make him quite a nasty piece of work. Loved seeing the mystery of who the author was finally revealed, by the middle of season 2 everything was starting to be explained & felt really satisfying. Grunkle Stan is pretty fun to watch as well, quite a lot of great characters pop up in the show. Quite a few times it got genuine laughs out of me, lil Gideon was a LOT of fun.

Not too sad that season 2 is the end, i'd rather have it all wrapped up like that and enjoy it as a short but satisfying adventure rather than have them drag it out for more seasons and start to ruin it. Just finished watching it last week but i want to go back through it all again to find all the secrets as there is a lot of stuff hidden in each episode once you know the truth. Love how there are cyphers & hidden messages hidden in each episode for you to go cracking the messages at the end of each episode.

Loved the artstyle of everything, it kind of reminded me of some point & click adventure games. The setting of it all gave me Sam & Max vibes as i wartched, in fact it would make a really good point & click adventure. The setting & characters would be perfect for something like that.

Someone on Etsy makes a pretty awesome replica of Journal 3, kind of tempted by it even if it is a bit pricy.
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/279462754/gravity-falls-journal-3-replica-with-32?ref=market

il_570xN.1050938481_e3yi.jpg

LousyTactician

Neo Member
My favorite animated show from the past few years. The characters are all wonderful, the foreshadowing spread across each episode made speculating about what would happen next fun, and the ending to the series almost made me cry. It's also nice that a modern show had the common sense to end on a high note, rather than drag itself on until it lost its luster.

I should buy the complimentary journals soon.

Magwik

Banned
I recently just wrapped up on it not long ago. Quickly became one of favorite western animations ever. The show amazing.

I thought there was a season 3?

Plans for season 3 didn't pan out and the show ended up wrapping up with season 2. The story was completed but unfortunately it still felt pretty rushed. I thought the ending was still damn satisfying regardless.

I thought I remembered reading rumbles of Alex wanting to do a "special" of sorts. and that another season wasn't out of the question, but Alex just wouldn't be involved in that. Any truth to that?

Also are the books worth getting, do they add any more?

The 3DS game is decent, nothing amazing but if you want some more GF cuteness check it out.
Also watch the shorts if you haven't yet.
Soos is of course short for
Jesus

Thanks for the info on the 3DS game, I'll definitely check it out. :)

I just watched it last month. I'm struggling to think of a show I enjoyed more to be honest. Love the realtionship between Dipper and Mabel. Too many shows have siblings that seem to hate each other for comedy. There isn't anyone I wouldn't recommend this show to. Watch it if you haven't already people.

As for the 3DS game, iirc it is partly written by Hirsch so the dialogue is great and the story is good but the gameplay is pretty generic licensed platformer stuff and it is very short (I 100%'d it in 5.5 hours). Nothing particularly bad about it but nothing exceptional either. Get it if you can find it cheap.

Kas

Plans for season 3 didn't pan out and the show ended up wrapping up with season 2. The story was completed but unfortunately it still felt pretty rushed. I thought the ending was still damn satisfying regardless.
Well shit.

I watched it all a few weeks ago, and the second season is one of the greatest kids shows I've ever seen

I thought I remembered reading rumbles of Alex wanting to do a "special" of sorts. and that another season wasn't out of the question, but Alex just wouldn't be involved in that. Any truth to that?
Not because plans for it didn't pan out, Alex didn't want to make a season 3. He wanted to end the show on a good note, and didn't want to just keep going with it just because.

He has hinted though, more recently that we could get more episodes.
It was his decision not to make Season 3. He loves the characters though, and said that he'd be interested in making something more in the Gravity Falls universe.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Finished an under-1 week binge of the show. Really, really enjoyable. Glad I didn't get stuck with all the gaps between episodes (waiting for all the finale episodes must have sucked).

Watching shortly after watching Stranger Things might have made it better. Got me in that "strange mountain town" mood. Heard it compared to Twin Peaks, and that certainly works too.

Just started watching myself after watching the Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 episodes. I'm on Fight Fighters now. Mabel is just adorable, and the whole thing is just great.

Indelible

I have only seen a few episodes but they were all great, I would love it if Disney put the entire series on Netflix so I can binge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom