• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp: Strider 2014

It all started as I bought Ori Definitive edition on sale with it's OSTs. As it was downloading, I wanted to play something to pass the time. From a previous sale, I purchased Strider 2014 but played so little of it that I forgot about it. My save data was even missing too, so I started a new playthrough.

strider1.jpg

I was so in the zone for a while. I knew where to go, got the occasional upgrades, beat many bosses on my first try. Now that's pure gaming bliss! I'll admit it's a game kind of on the easy side, but it's still just challenging enough to feel fun. The climbing movements set this game apart from other Metroidvanias and it feels so satisfying and nimble to climb walls to the next goal. What little of plot there is, is pretty compelling too. I got that Strider's dismantling a dystopia of sorts. Just enough plot to keep things moving. This is the first game in a while where I played as a silent protagonist, it's old school in a sense but given the game's vibe it's perfectly fitting imo. I have a feeling it'll be a short ish game but that's a good thing in my book, I'm drawn towards short experiences much of the time. I'd recommend this 2.5d hack n slash Metroidvania for sure, based on what I've played so far.

edit: He's not a silent protagonist, rather he's a man of few words

Last edited:

Kazza

Good to hear. I bought the game in a steam sale a long time ago but never played it. I'm currently playing another old reboot of a classic IP (Hard Corps: Uprising) and might give this Strider a try afterwards. Playing the original Strider on my Megadrive Mini has put me in the mood.

Good to hear. I bought the game in a steam sale a long time ago but never played it. I'm currently playing another old reboot of a classic IP (Hard Corps: Uprising) and might give this Strider a try afterwards. Playing the original Strider on my Megadrive Mini has put me in the mood.

Thanks for letting me know that the og Strider is on the Genesis mini! I might hook it up to give it a try, perhaps after I beat this reboot of it.

Kazza

Speaking of Strider, has anyone played Strider 2 (PS1/arcade). It looks really good, more of a straightforward, traditional Strider than the 2014 game.

Thanks for letting me know that the og Strider is on the Genesis mini! I might hook it up to give it a try, perhaps after I beat this reboot of it.

It's a good version, although obviously not as good as the arcade. I'll be returning to my mini too once Hard Corps Uprising is finished. I want to give the original Megadrive Hard Corps a try and see if it is as difficult as Uprising is (I'll go for the Japanese version with the health bar).

cryogenic7

Speaking of Strider, has anyone played Strider 2 (PS1/arcade). It looks really good, more of a straightforward, traditional Strider than the 2014 game.

It's a good version, although obviously not as good as the arcade. I'll be returning to my mini too once Hard Corps Uprising is finished. I want to give the original Megadrive Hard Corps a try and see if it is as difficult as Uprising is (I'll go for the Japanese version with the health bar).
Yes, this game is fantastic as well.

Really did not like this game at all. From what I remember it just felt toothless and unoriginal, which was par for the course for Double Helix

Ugh, Double Helix were so incredibly promising and then were so incredibly wasted.
Were they really, though?
yydClD5.jpg

Last edited:

Shakka43

One of my favorite Playstation Plus given games. Never played the PS1 games but this one being metroidvania style got me to try it and I ended up loving it.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
hard Corps Uprising is SO fucking good. It's criminal we never saw a follow up.

Kazza

hard Corps Uprising is SO fucking good. It's criminal we never saw a follow up.

I'm really enjoying it, even if it is brutally hard. It seems to have been made with a lot of love and effort, definitely not just a cheap rush job. I like the opening music and anime so much that I usually let it run a couple of times before starting the game. I think I need to play a little each day rather than just once a week to get good enough to beat it. I'm only at level 2 right now, and there's so much crazy shit going on that it's hard to stay alive (especially with those hidden snipers everywhere). I only just realised that you can buff your character using points earned in Rising mode, so the game has become a lot less punishing since then. I'll probably post a LTTP thread about it once I'm done.

GametimeUK

Did they ever fix the AF on this game? I remember parts being super blurry on PS4, but not on Xbox One (a lot of games were like this early in the gen).

Kazza

I've just realised that I have a spare steam key for this game (from a humble bundle - UK account, so not sure if it will work with in other countries). First one to post a Strider gif gets the key!

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I've just realised that I have a spare steam key for this game (from a humble bundle - UK account, so not sure if it will work with in other countries). First one to post a Strider gif gets the key!

Cool. I hope it's someone who can enjoy this game.

I thought I remember there being talk of a sequel. I would totally be up for another one of these.

Top Bottom