• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: The Marvel Cinematic Universe. Please mark any spoilers past where I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

I liked Iron Man 2. Because of Tony's character arc and his interactions with his supporting cast. However you think the villains were bad in the first 2, IM2 has the worst villain in the MCU, which is probably why everyone hates this movie.
But it also has one of the best.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Iron Man 2 is unfairly maligned. It has actual character development and is mostly fun to watch, which is more than I can say for the first Thor

It looks like Civil War will hand this crown to the Cap movies now, but up until this point the Iron Man movies were my favorite superhero trilogy period, ahead of both Spiderman and Nolan Batman

Kinsei

Banned
Iron Man 2

latest

That was certainly something. The film started off promisingly enough, Stark is dying, Mickey Rourke is the villain, and the government wants the Iron Man suit. Had you told me all of this before I went into the movie I would have been hyped as fuck, so what went wrong?

I suppose I should talk about the good first so let's talk about the best thing about this movie: Black Widow. She wasn't in it too much but she completely stole the show whenever she was on screen. I certainly rolled my eyes when she was first introduced with the modelling pics but thankfully it payed off in a way that didn't feel forced. If you needed to get close to Stark and you're a woman then having sexy pictures of her online certainly doesn't hurt your chances. My favorite scene in the movie was when she was infiltrating the Hammer Industries facility and it really makes me wonder why they didn't do a Black Widow spy movie instead. In fact, looking at the list of movies there still hasn't been one. Why not Marvel?

*Insert cool gif of Black Widow here* I'm too scared to google one in case it ends up spoiling something from one of the Avengers movies.

Pepper is better than she was in Iron Man in every way. Granted all they really had to do for that was not have her not so subtly call another woman trash for having sex so it wasn't a high bar to jump over, but it's still progress. She was on point during the climax. If she doesn't become part of SHIELD in a later movie I am going to be so disappointed. She seems like she would be perfect for it.

They followed through and gave Rhodes a suit! Sadly I think what led to him getting the suit was poorly done. So Stark is so drunk that he nearly kills a person with his suit (yet he's still sober enough to perfectly control the suit?) and your response is to then get in a suit yourself to fight him? These suits could kill either one of you if you're not careful and you decide to fight your friend when he's clearly not in a right state of mind? It just completely boggles my mind that this is in the movie. Did they have a quota of action scenes they needed to fill, didn't fill it, and this was added last minute when they realized? That's really the only thing I can think of because this scene makes absolutely no sense to me. Outside of that I still liked Rhodes and it was awesome seeing him team up with Stark in the final fight (even if that fight was awful).

I guess I should mention my thoughts on Don Cheadle since he replaced Terrence Howard as Rhodes, huh? I think Cheadle did just fine in. I slightly prefer the way Howard played the character but I think it might just be because I saw him as Rhodes first. I wouldn't be surprised if I preferred Cheadle by the time I finish all of the movies.

Do I have to talk about Happy? I really don't want to talk about Happy. He's dumb comic relief and the movie would have been better without him.

Ivan started out really promising. He's played by Mickey Rourke who has the perfect look for playing a villain, he's smart, he clearly gives absolutely no fucks about anything other than his father and birds, and he dual wields shock ravagers from Ratchet and Clank. All of this sounds amazing so what happened? The race scene and the prison escape made it look like they were building him up as not only a major threat, but a persistent on, and then they just stick him in a room for almost the entirety of the movie from that point forward. Why would you do this? While watching I thought that the final fight was going to make up for this. Oh how very wrong I was. Honestly calling it a fight is giving it too much credit. The entire thing is over in about a minute and nothing really happens during it. All Ivan really does is grab them and then he's finished off in a single attack. THIS is how you use a villain you've been building up? maybe when it comes to villains in these movies it would be best for me to just set the bar on the floor so they can't disappoint me.

Now we reach the guy that acts like he wandered onto the set right after hosting a Ubisoft E3 press conference. I really don't see why we needed another corporate villain. Hammer is not interesting, funny, or threatening so why should I care about him? If they were going for a pathetic villain to contrast with Ivan then they should have made sure Ivan was a good villain first.

"Maybe I'll even get laid" Nah.

My feelings on Stark in this are mixed. I'm fine with most of the antics he pulled because he was dying, but there were a few things I felt ended up being out of character. I'm talking about that party and the stupid Rhodes fight scene. I'm sorry but I don't buy that Stark after the first Iron Man would just keep on going after almost killing someone. But he was drunk you say. I call BS on that, if he was really so drunk that this wouldn't phase him then he'd be passed out not performing trick shots in a crowded room and fighting his friend. Other than that though I was pretty happy with him. It was nice seeing him in different state of mind.

Is the post credits scene from The Incredible Hulk not canon? Stark tells Fury that he declined joining SHIELD but he was talking to what's his face in order to gather information to find and recruit The Hulk. It's either that or this movie is set between the two.

Overall I feel that Iron Man 2 is mediocre which made it hard to think of things to write about (which is why this post took me over an hour to write). It' not awful though so if this is as bad as it gets then I'm happy.

Well that's Iron Man 2. I'll see you all on Saturday with my write-up of Thor! Mjölnir being in New Mexico better not mean it ends up being set on Earth. I want a movie set entirely in Asgard.

Is the post credits scene from The Incredible Hulk not canon? Stark tells Fury that he declined joining SHIELD but he was talking to what's his face in order to gather information to find and recruit The Hulk. It's either that or this movie is set between the two.

Hulk's name was never mentioned. It could easily be implied that he was actually there to recruit Blonsky's Abomination. He was being held somewhere after being defeated by the Hulk, was already a soldier, and he was a known quantity. At that point in the MCU, the Hulk's where a bouts were unknown.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've always been of the opinion that all of the Marvel films have at least been good with some rising to the level of great.

kurahador

I love Thor. I thought it was a cute movie. Definitely the kind where I would watch with my nieces or anyone who isn't familiar with comic book movie.

And that ending credit;
maxresdefault.jpg

So beautiful.

Dalek

Hulk's name was never mentioned. It could easily be implied that he was actually there to recruit Blonsky's Abomination. He was being held somewhere after being defeated by the Hulk, was already a soldier, and he was a known quantity. At that point in the MCU, the Hulk's where a bouts were unknown.

This brings up a good point-is OP going to be watching the Marvel One Shots? There's one devoted to this topic. I think it's The Consultant.

I miss One Shots. :(

I've always been of the opinion that all of the Marvel films have at least been good with some rising to the level of great.

The ones in the "official" Marvel/Disney lineup - meaning Avengers tie-ins, I agree. But I've been dreaming of comic movies like these since I was a kid, so I forgive a lot.

But the Marvel slate as a whole has produced some stinkers. Hulk (the Ang Lee one) is probably the worst, though I haven't see the recent Fantastic Four.

Kinsei

Banned
This brings up a good point-is OP going to be watching the Marvel One Shots? There's one devoted to this topic. I think it's The Consultant.

I had no clue there were any one-shots until I saw this post. I had only planned on watching all the movies and then the TV shows.

atr0cious

Currently watching these myself and just finished the Avengers, which was delightful again after these few years. The Incredible Hulk is such a bad film, that intro, norton is terrible as banner (why is he learning kung fu?), editing, the hulk itself is uglier than ang lee's to the point where the abomination is more aesthetically pleasing to look at. Iron man 1 is a fucking astonishing movie, the first time Tony flies/floats still feels groundbreaking. Iron man 2 isn't that bad. Thor is pretty good although the choreography was dreadful. And first avengers is the fucking best, with the last scene that's so bitter sweet.

Sojgat

I'll never forgive Iron Man 2 for the central dilemma with the poisoning.

Take the arc reactor out of your chest and just wear it in a fanny pack or something, Tony!

It's only the power source. This is established over and over again in the first movie. There is no need to discover a new element.

And this guy is meant to be a genius? Such awful writing.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I had no clue there were any one-shots until I saw this post. I had only planned on watching all the movies and then the TV shows.

the one shots aren't really necessary, but they're only a couple minutes long so it's worth finding them on youtube if you don't have the physical discs they were released on

they help flesh out a couple of minor characters.

The Consultant and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Thor's Hammer take place after IM2 and Incredible Hulk, and before Thor.

Item 47 takes place right after The Avengers.

All Hail the King takes place after Iron Man 3.

The Agent Carter one-shot is essentially being overwritten by the Agent Carter TV show, so you can watch it any time after Captain America, or skip it entirely.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Iron Man 2
*snip*

I wish they did a Black Widow spy film. C'mon Marvel, get on it, Phase 4!

Also to be fair to Pepper, in the first film she didn't really imply that Christine Everheart was trash for having sex, she was responding to Christine implying that she was nothing but Tony's gopher by insulting her.

Also, yeah, Wiplash was wasted in the film.

The post-credits scene from Incredible Hulk happens after Iron Man 2 and Thor. There's a series of short-filmscalled Marvel One-Shots, one of which ties directly to the situation. It's titled The Consultant, and it was released alongside Thor.

The Agent Carter one-shot is essentially being overwritten by the Agent Carter TV show, so you can watch it any time after Captain America, or skip it entirely.

They've stated that Agent Carter (the One-Shot) is the end of Agent Carter (the TV show) and takes place after the show.

guek

Banned
Lmao oh man he's reached Thor. Prepare for some shit ass films until you finally get to iron man 3

jSTjzZp.png

Thor is a mixed bag but it's better than Iron Man 2 and some people really like it.

Cap 1 is awesome!

Avengers is pure magic, especially the first time.

J_Viper

Great write-ups OP!

Nice to see some more love here for Hulk 2008. I still think it's one of the better MCU flicks.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

It is. They made a short revolving around it that accompanied the Thor Blu-Ray a few years back.

Also, I liked the first Thor movie, even though it felt pretty underwhelming. It was a little fun at least.

Still, can't wait til you get to Cap1
captain_america_the_first_avenger_poster.jpg

I wish they would do a One Shot for Rhodes to find out what he was doing during Avengers.

Also one for Falcon during AoU.

The ones in the "official" Marvel/Disney lineup - meaning Avengers tie-ins, I agree. But I've been dreaming of comic movies like these since I was a kid, so I forgive a lot.

But the Marvel slate as a whole has produced some stinkers. Hulk (the Ang Lee one) is probably the worst, though I haven't see the recent Fantastic Four.

I believe he was referencing the movies made by Marvel Studios/Disney.

Not the ones made by Fox, Universal, and Sony.

Lmao oh man he's reached Thor. Prepare for some shit ass films until you finally get to iron man 3

I don't think I could come up with a more disagreeable opinion than this.

I thought Iron Man was great, Iron Man 2 was okay, and Iron Man 3 was legitimate trash. Tony's characterization has been declining since the first film (OP you said as much in your review of Iron Man 2), and Iron Man 3 made me retroactively dislike the character entirely.

As for Thor, you're in for a beautiful movie. The locales and background are absolutely fantastic to look at.

Nice write-ups, btw. Keep 'em coming.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I don't think I could come up with a more disagreeable opinion than this.

I thought Iron Man was great, Iron Man 2 was okay, and Iron Man 3 was legitimate trash. Tony's characterization has been declining since the first film (OP you said as much in your review of Iron Man 2), and Iron Man 3 made me retroactively dislike the character entirely.

As for Thor, you're in for a beautiful movie. The locales and background are absolutely fantastic to look at.

Nice write-ups, btw. Keep 'em coming.
You misspelt "one of the best and most interesting movies in the MCU".

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

I was referring to the "Marvel Cinematic Universe" films.

I like your write ups. I just got done with my MCU run to get prepared for CW so I will write a quick one or two sentences of my experience. I'm not going to be as elaborate as you....

Civil War will be the first MCU movie I'll watch in the movie theater. I did watch a couple of Marvel movies, The Amazing Spiderman 2 and Ang Lee's Hulk in the movie theater, but those were bad experiences, so I hope CW washes that bad taste out of my mouth.

Everything except TIH, Ironman, and Ironman 2 was watched in the last couple of months.

The Incredible Hulk:

5/10
Didn't like Norton as Banner at all. Didn't like his mannerisms or attitude. Hulk did not look as good as today's version and Abomination looked weird, but their time on screen was the movie's redeeming feature for me. I also hear Abomination might still be alive, so I hope they bring him back eventually. I also want a good origin story. Ang Lee's Hulk was dumb as hell and it seems like Marvel could do an interesting origin story. I also wish they would have kept the attempted suicide deleted scene. It would have added to the character's struggle IMO and also tied together with
what Banner said in the avengers

Ironman:

9/10
One of my 3 favorite origin movies ever IMO, along with CA:FA and BB. Really enjoyable movie and the best in the series by a country mile. I had never known Iron man's origins and I really enjoyed knowing how it all got started. It was really well done with the minor exception that the bullets would definitely go through the hole the suit had for Tony to see. For some reason that bothered me.

Ironman 2:

7.5/10
I am one of the rare people who kinda enjoyed this movie, though I do agree that the final fight with whiplash just showing his face for the hell of it was kind of dumb. I thought the fight with War Machine at the party was fun, but there was no reason for them to fight in front of civilians like that. I do agree that Black Widow was great. I wish for a spy movie with her as well! Just take what they did with Salt and actually make it good.

Thor:

7/10
Okayish movie, but a bit forgettable. Saw it on the plane, so might be missing some pieces. I like the fact that Thor became more human and couldn't live his hammer. Loki was great in this movie and you can already tell why people like him. I think they could have used the Destroyer a bit better though, it seems like he is a good villain. Stringer Bell from the wire as Heimdall was kind of weird to me, but I got used to it. Thankfully it wasn't Omar, otherwise, it would never fly. Natalie Portman, I can't get used to her in the movie, I am glad she is not in Thor 3, which actually sounds good. I haven't watched all star wars movies, but she is in I-III and I'm blaming their poor reception on her.

Captain America First Avenger:

9/10
Really enjoyed it and I was never a Cap fan before. Like Ironman, I had no idea how captain america was or where he came from. I enjoyed the World war storyline and the fact that Tommy Lee Jones didn't like Cap because he was skinny, but all his acts as a skinny kid were that of the courageous cap we know today. Nitpicking, but when cap infiltrates the hydra camp, it's just an okay scene, it doesn't stand out to me like Ironman escaping the cave. Red skull could also have been better used as well. Is he dead btw or can he return? Seems like another good villain gone to waste

Avengers:

9.5/10
Surprised the hell out of me when I watched because I thought it would be a mess of a movie. All these heroes in a movie together? Huh why? It didn't make sense to me and I had tried to watch it earlier, but then got busy and just had to step out...It's a great movie though, and probably one of my favorite super hero movies up there with TDK and WS (which obviously came later). Again, Loki proves to be a worthy villain and I could see in this movie why his popularity is rising. I wish I would have seen Hulk smashing Loki in IMAX 3D though.

Ironman 3:

7.5/10
Gotta be honest, I expected more. Way more. I am not a comic book reader, so I didn't know about the Mandarin and the twist was actually clever to me (after reading up on the internet though, I do wanna see the real mandarin). I like the movie showing the human side of Stark and his problems going through with the PTSD that he suffered because of New York. However, the movie made iron man's armor feel weak as shit and/or his opponent overly powerful. I mean, the suit takes a beating in other movies. Gets shot up with all types of weapons and keeps functioning, but these people can go through his suits like hot knife going through butter...blah. I can maybe give it that his suits were weaker due to his lack of focus when making them. There were so many! Also the movie made it seem like he doesn't really need the suits which just kinda sucks. I do wish the extremis virus is always active on the people who survive, maybe they can turn Pepper into a real heroine. Also, man thing's wife showing up is a cock tease. Are they gonna show him any time soon? I don't think they should have killed her either.

Thor Dark World:

5.5/10
MCU's worst movie under Disney and only better than TIH, but only by a smidgen. I don't know what the purpose of this movie was in the grand scheme of things. It does again show that Loki is a character not to be trusted and that he will put himself above everything else. This movie did nothing for me and I am still not sure why Thor is so dumb to still trust Loki. The only thing this movie did is to increase Loki's presence and solidfy him as one of the best villains Marvel, not only MCU, has.

Captain America Winter Soldier:

9.5/10
One of the best comic book movies ever. Holy shit. That made me see what a bad ass Cap really is. If FA showed me that Rogers is the limit of human strength, this showed me that he is actually above the limit and actually has superpowers. The first 20-30 minutes or so (the boat scene) was like Metal Gear Solid in action. I also quite enjoyed watching GSP there as the bad guy. Haha, guy can't act, but all he did was some fight scenes, and that he can do (thankfully he didn't just take Cap down and lay on him for 25 minutes). The movie also introduced me to winter soldier which was a pleasant surprise. I had never heard of him, and he's a bad ass. Great villain who is going to turn to hero, I guess. The end shows what a true character cap is, when he could have just killed his friend who was brainwashed and was trying to kill him. Cap would have sacrificed himself for him.

Guardians of the Galaxy:

9/10
Like 90% of the people out there, I had never heard of them before. Pleasantly surprised. The characters have great chemistry and definitely compliment each other. I enjoyed Rocket the most, his jokes were on point, and the guy is just a smart ass. The jokes in the movie overall were on point for me. I also liked Darryl brother's character as well (forgot his name in the movie). Groot is one of the most popular characters, and obviously a very charismatic one. Gotta give it to them to turn a mute tree into a charismatic character. I heard Drax is not as powerful in the movie as he is in the comics, which is disappointing. Starlord is funny as hell though, and Chris Pratt seems to be the perfect fit there. Glad they picked him to play it and not Dennis, that would have killed it for me, to be honest. Gamora also looks good and has a unique look. Not sure she has any major powers though. I think GoTG has potential to be a huge franchise for Marvel and Disney. I gotta say though, Thanos did not look like this huge bad ass to me and the other guy (forgot his name, the one who had the Infinity Stone) looked more like a bad ass IMO

Avengers Age of Ultron:

8.5/10
I can see why people don't like this movie due to a lot of scenes being similar to Avengers, but I enjoyed it. Scarlett Witch is bad ass and more powerful than she knows. Didn't like quicksilver dying. I know having Quicksilver/Flash work on the screen and not seem overly powerful is difficult. I mean I don't know if he keeps getting faster and faster or what, but making him hittable and vulnerable is hard when he's so fast. They barely used him though which sucks, but I think he's coming back after Dr. Strange. I didn't mind their fake eastern european accents because it sounded kinda good to me. Hulk/Banner's relationship with Romanoff came out of nowhere, what the hell was that? There was nothing indicating that was a thing prior to this movie, so that was just plain weird to me. Hulk is also supposed to get stronger the angrier he gets but he was getting handled by Stark's toy and got knocked out by it. Kind of disappointing to me. Hulk not speaking and progressing as a character was a major let down. A pet peeve is that James Spade's voice is too recognizable and kinda killed Ultron for me a bit. His voice is similar to Christopher Walken to me, too easy to recognize.

Ant Man:

8/10
This movie was fun and not what I expected. Watched it with a friend and she mentioned that she liked it way better than Deadpool (we watched deadpool together as well, I enjoyed it better than all other fox movies bar the original xmen) and is looking forward to the sequel. We both agreed that its name is confusing for us non comic book fans. When I first heard it I thought it was about a man who literally turned into an ant. She thought the same and said she would have watched in the theater if she knew what it was about, but the naming kinda kills it. I like the comedy in the movie and Paul Rudd has some great one liners. The girl from Lost didn't really kill that for me as it's been too long since she was in that and it actually took me a while to remember where I remembered her from. The "going between the molecules" was kind of cliche though and makes ant man way too powerful. The final fight was refreshing, but not sure what to make of it. Ant man has the power of a 200 pound man, but had to wind to throw a 2 ounce object? And had to dodge? Just seemed a bit off, maybe I missed something there.

I just wrote my thoughts as they came, so if it doesn't make sense, sorry. I'm not that good a writer lol

As a side note, I also watched Fan4stic and, more recently, Creed. I think Marvel could turn Johnny Torch into a star again, just make MBJ Blade.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Iron Man 2

Ivan started out really promising. He's played by Mickey Rourke who has the perfect look for playing a villain, he's smart, he clearly gives absolutely no fucks about anything other than his father and birds, and he dual wields shock ravagers from Ratchet and Clank. All of this sounds amazing so what happened? The race scene and the prison escape made it look like they were building him up as not only a major threat, but a persistent on, and then they just stick him in a room for almost the entirety of the movie from that point forward. Why would you do this? While watching I thought that the final fight was going to make up for this. Oh how very wrong I was. Honestly calling it a fight is giving it too much credit. The entire thing is over in about a minute and nothing really happens during it. All Ivan really does is grab them and then he's finished off in a single attack. THIS is how you use a villain you've been building up? maybe when it comes to villains in these movies it would be best for me to just set the bar on the floor so they can't disappoint me.
Man you thought IM2's ending was anticlimactic? You haven't seen the original ending...

Vanko gets his ass beat, not in a fight with Rhodey and Stark, but by Tony grabbing a whip with a rubber glove and a punch to the face.

RDreamer

I've been finally trying to get through the Marvel movies in the last few weeks, too. Only one I saw before that was Guardians of the Galaxy, which I liked.

So far my thoughts: Iron Man was good. Not much else to say but it was a decent popcorn flick. Had some issues but I suppose it was fun.

Hulk was surprisingly good. I might actually like it a smidge more than Iron Man. Was surprised since I was going to possibly skip it since the whole concept of Hulk didn't seem like it was going to appeal to me, but It did.

Thor was legitimately fucking trash. Seriously horrendous garbage.

Iron Man 2 was serviceable enough. Fun for a watch. Slightly worse than IM2. The vey ending fight was kind of anti-climactic as fuck. Didn't enjoy the jokes there, too. Other than that it was alright I suppose.

Toxi

Banned
My favorite scene in the movie was when she was infiltrating the Hammer Industries facility and it really makes me wonder why they didn't do a Black Widow spy movie instead. In fact, looking at the list of movies there still hasn't been one. Why not Marvel?
You're not the first one to ask this and you won't be the last.

Kinsei

Banned
Thor

That was incredibly forgettable.

So the movie opens with Thor on Earth which completely crushed my hopes for the movie. We're also introduced to the token love interest, the awful comic relief, and the straight man as well. Why didn't I use their names? Because the characterization in this movie is so awful (outside of Thor and Loki) that those might as well have been their names.

Thankfully it isn't long before we flash back to Asgard and it's revealed that this is the same story you've heard a million times. The chosen one is too full of himself and does something so incredibly stupid that the powers that be have no choice but to strip him of his powers and send him on a quest of self discovery to earn them back and blah blah blah.

This is also were we get introduced to Thor's friends. What are they like? Hell if I know since they are all defined by a single thing. There's the glutton, the one that gets injured, the tough woman (Sif, the only one whose name I remember), and (I fell awful for saying this) the Asian one. Could they not spend a few more minutes on these people to flesh them out? I'm not exaggerating here, those are the only things I remember about them.

At least Thor is charming enough that it wasn't awful sitting through the movie. Even when they were going through the most painfully generic "fish out of water" cliches I couldn't help but grin because of how enthusiastic he was about everything. I also appreciate that he only had to be told things once.

Honestly the only thing in this movie I want to talk about in this movie is the squandered potential of Loki.They were setting him up to be a nice complex villain with the revelation that he was a (half? I'm unsure if him beign so small is a birth defect or if he's part Frost Giant part something else) Frost Giant but they just threw it away by making him entirely motivated by his jealousy. I really thought they were setting him up a sympathetic villain who was doing what he did so that he could try and bring a true peace between the Asgardians and Frost Giants. They then throw all of that away near the end because I guess there had to be a clear cut good guy and bad guy. What was even the point of making him a Frost Giant anyway? Was it just to try and take away our sympathy for him? And to top things off it seems like he'll be the villain in The Avengers. Yay

Here's some positives.

Heimdall is pretty awesome, but that's entirely because he's played by Idris Elba. That man's voice is perfect and can make any character instantly amazing.

Asgard looked nice. Then again that's also a negative since it makes me wish the movie was set there even more.

... That's about it.

Sorry this wasn't as big of a write-up as the others but I really didn't have much to say because this entire movie was just so forgettable. It's really disappointing because Thor was actually the phase 1 movie I was most looking forward to. I was so excited to see what they'd do with the characters and worlds of Norse mythology and this is what I got. I've seen much worse (I've watched every Twilight movie), but I still wouldn't recommend this. On the bright side I can;t see Captain America being any worse!

Oh and I did watch The Consultant sine it was included with Thor. It never would have crossed my mind that Stark was talking about Abomination and not Hulk. While I'm glad this exists to flesh it out, I would have preferred if that was made more explicit in The Incredible Hulk instead. It feels like this was created to fix a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

My write up for Captain America: The First Avenger will be up on Tuesday.

Thor

*Stuff*

Yeah, Thor has its problems. I just wanted to add to the Loki stuff. The idea of him being a Frost Giant means he has an excuse for why he was passed up for rule. Because it's pretty obvious that Thor is an idiot, and Loki thinks he's hidden his inner ambition well, so he's been snubbed for the throne. Why? Well, now he can blame it on Odin not liking him because he's a frost giant. It's a cover for him so now he doesn't have to face the realization that he was also unfit to rule, neither of them were. Thor grew up and realized that, but Loki can't do it.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Oh and I did watch The Consultant sine it was included with Thor. It never would have crossed my mind that Stark was talking about Abomination and not Hulk. While I'm glad this exists to flesh it out, I would have preferred if that was made more explicit in The Incredible Hulk instead. It feels like this was created to fix a problem that shouldn't have existed in the first place.

The Consultant basically served as a retcon for tIH's stinger, really.

Dalek

While I'll agree Thor isn't a perfect movie-I have zero problems with Loki at all. His jealously is a perfectly fine motivation for this actions-plus he's the God of Mischief.

Markoman

A young Dolph Lundgren with decent acting skills would've been the perfect Thor.
The metrosexual Chris Hemsworth version of Thor really killed that movie for me.

Haven't read any Marvel comics in 20 years, so can somebody tell me if the portrayal of Thor and Captain America is accurate in the movies. It seems like everyone is Tony Stark now...if you know what I mean. From my memory, Thor was always a somewhat "cold" character - well, what do you expect from a Nordic deity?

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
I'm sad I found this thread today, I wish I'd have found it a week or two from now. Great write ups, looking forward to the rest.

Dalek

A young Dolph Lundgren with decent acting skills would've been the perfect Thor.
The metrosexual Chris Hemsworth version of Thor really killed that movie for me.

Haven't read any Marvel comics in 20 years, so can somebody tell me if the portrayal of Thor and Captain America is accurate in the movies. It seems like everyone is Tony Stark now...if you know what I mean. From my memory, Thor was always a somewhat "cold" character - well, what do you expect from a Nordic deity?

Eh-Thor is very warm and friendly and loving to his friends and just about everyone really.

did-the-lobster-defeat-you-with-its-big-meaty-claws.jpg

Zero-ELEC

Banned

Chris Hemsworth was the best part of Thor, tho. He was super charming as Thor is wont to be. Dolph Lundgren (wtf) would be a horrible choice for Thor.

Also, Thor was always personable, no? I mean, maybe not so much back in the day when the whole Donald Blake thing still existed (and even then Donald Blake was the cold one, not Thor), but after that, when he was just Thor? As far as I know, he's super charming and friendly and stuff. Read Thor: Might Avenger or Thor: Season One if you want to see some modern Thor with and without Blake. I also don't understand what you mean by saying that "everyone is Tony Stark".

Without giving anything away I'll just say this OP: Iron Man 1 remains to be one of the best parts of the MCU, in my opinion.

Iron Man is just one of the best comic book movies imo

Kinsei

Banned
The write-up has taken longer than I expected to write and I have to get up at 4AM tomorrow so it's been delayed by a day. Sorry!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's my favorite MCU movie so far. I went in with pretty low expectations due to the whole idea of Captain America sounding pretty dumb to me but I was blown away.

Its still one of their best. You're through the rough patch, from here on out it all gets goooood

RDreamer

I'm actually in the middle of watching Captain America for the first time, too. (I was the other guy that was LTTP and recently going through these). Man this movie's goofy as hell.

Every time I watch that scene of Skinny Steve jumping onto that grenade, and shouting at Peggy to get away... Always makes me smile. From the start, they got Cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom