• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (is the greatest game of all time)

BizzyBum

the-witcher-3-logo-Copy.png

I feel like I am going to reiterate what many others have already said over the past year, but I have to give my 2 cents and state how simply amazing this game truly is.

Firstly, I really loved The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings which was my first foray into the franchise as I never played the original. Everything about that game was special. I don't think I ever played a game before that had that caliber of writing, voice acting, storyline, quests and graphical fidelity in such a mature setting before in which my every action seemingly changed the outcome of the game. I was instantly hooked on the franchise and the cast of characters I played with. For all its worth, I beat the game at around 50 hours and saved my game file for the inevitable sequel. It was easily my favorite Action RPG ever and 2011 GOTY.

Suffice to say, I was extremely hyped for The Witcher 3. I'm usually cautiously optimistic when it comes to sequels because if the previous game is great it just creates a bigger hype train and expectation from fans to not only be just as good, but even better, which many times leaves people disappointed when the game is actually released due to impossible to meet standards. However, this was CD Projekt Red, I knew they weren't going to fuck this up. Was I a little bummed about the "downgrades" that erupted on GAF near release? Eh, maybe a bit, but I knew something like that wouldn't ruin the game for me. And boy was I right.

I could probably ramble here forever praising this game, but I'll try to keep it short. The moment I finished the quest "Bloody Baron" (the second main quest in Act 1), I knew CD Projekt Red created something magical here. That quest alone was probably better than 90% of most video games in their entirety that I have played in my life. Everything I praised in The Witcher 2 at the beginning of this thread was raised tenfold with The Witcher 3. So much time, effort, and love was poured into this game and it oozed everywhere. The game is so massive that it definitely is a little overwhelming at the start, so much so that certain people were turned off and shelved the game. It is definitely one of those games that require time and effort to complete, but the reward you get in return is something that every gamer should experience and I hope people put off by the open world will eventually come back and try it again.

So I take my sweet time and finally end up beating the main quest, an exhilarating ride to say the least and easily my 2015 GOTY and definitely up there in my GOAT. There was a recent thread on GAF where someone said they believed The Witcher 2 was the better game (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294378&highlight=witcher+2) and he did make some valid points. But here's the crazy part, and why CD Projekt Red is the best in the business: the DLC was ten times better than the main game and firmly cements The Witcher 3 as the superior game and my undisputed GOAT. Simply put, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine are the greatest gaming experiences I ever had without debate. If I had to choose I would give Hearts of Stone a slight edge, but Blood and Wine introduces a brand new area in Toussaint which is also fantastic so it really is a toss up. The next level and quality of the writing with A+ voice acting and the quests associated with them is without equal. Quests often go to places you would never imagine, both in the base game and DLCs. For example, in Blood and Wine
if you choose to save Syanna from the Duchess instead of meeting with the Unseen Elder, it seems like it would be a fairly straight forward quest where you locate Syanna in the castle, have some dialogue, then sneak out. Instead, you are transported to a magical realm via a book in which you do quests that involve mutated and sadistic forms of childhood fairy tales due to the magic becoming unstable over the years. Like, who thinks of this shit!?
And CD Projekt Red should be praised and applauded for how they handled the DLC. The Season Pass was $25. Hearts of Stone by itself was $10, and Blood and Wine by itself was $20. Not to mention 16 pieces of FREE DLC that they gave everyone. All this in a gaming culture with paid beta's, $50 season passes, and microtransactions.

A $10 DLC is better than most fully priced games and also trumps the main game which in itself was already better than most games. Just think about that for a few seconds. Also, Blood and Wine has
the greatest sex scene in the history of gaming. I was laughing the entire time because it felt so out of place but at the same time so amazingly awesome.

Also, I feel like Blood and Wine ended the series perfectly (granted you made the right choices). End of Blood and Wine spoilers ahead:
Geralt having that last chat with Regis in which Regis says to Geralt that after all the adventures and turmoil they have been through that it would be nice to sit down and relax as they deserved it (they being us). Geralt proceeds to agree then breaks the fourth wall and looks directly at you and smirks as the screen cuts to black. It's very subtle and quick, but the smirk starts to fade as the screen goes black, almost giving him a disappointed look knowing that it's all over and that we, the fans, feel the same way knowing this will be the last time we have an adventure with Geralt and company. It is indeed a somber feeling knowing this great ride is finally over. At least I chose to spend the rest of my days with Yennefer at Corvo Bianco (aka Witcher 3: Animal Crossing Edition). A nice touch to make you feel a bit happier.

Now, for all the praise I give it, does it have faults? Of course it does. The biggest one being the combat. As every Witcher fan puts it: "It's serviceable." I do feel like it's unfair to expect From Software levels of combat, however. Personally, this game is so great that combat could be only activated via voice commands from Kinect and I would still play the game. Others hate it so much that they simply can't play the game. To that I say it's a shame. The combat does get more varied and interesting as you level up and you devote your skill points to either the Signs or Alchemy trees. The DLC also adds new things like Runewords and Mutations to spice things up. Another thing that could have been improved were NPC variations. The more you play the game, the more you will start to encounter the same faces/voices for NPC's which can definitely break the immersion of the game. All important NPC's are unique, however. There is some "fluff" added due to the sheer magnitude of the game like NPC's labeled Peasants who can't be interacted with and many buildings being inaccessible. It's hard to fault CD Projekt Red for this though because if they made every NPC unique with dialogue and had to render every building then this game would have been released in 2020. When it comes down to it, the triumphs of the game far outweigh the downfalls.

So, all in all, those are my thoughts on the game. I put about 300 hours into this game. If I wanted to I could put in another 300 hours and make entirely different choices and still have a blast. I have a hard time believing I will ever play a game like this again. The only studio to do it would be CD Projekt Red themselves if they make another Witcher game, or I might eat those words when Cyberpunk 2077 releases. I said the same thing when I finished The Witcher 2, so I believe in them to do the impossible.

EDIT: It also gave us some incredible music. The Fields of Ard Skellig, Ladies of the Woods, Sword of Destiny, Hearts of Stone, Toussaint.

And how can I forget about Gwent? The true endgame, FUCKING GWENT.

Reactions: Fuz

RK9039

If it was possible I'd want to forget everything about the game so that I could play it fresh all over again. It's a masterpiece.

Now I'm hooked on the Gwent stand-alone.

Cudder

I'm at like 65-70 hours and just got to Skellige. Such an awesome game, love the different environments.

Nestunt

It's still too fresh in my mind for me to call it the GOAT in good conscience. But it's without a doubt in my Top 3. Let's see how time treats it.

But I can say that it is the only game, in years, that I am strongly considering repeating its massive story+dlc

The Witcher 3 is the game that I dreamed of when I was a kid and always thought it was not possible to conciliate so many aspects of videogames into one game and come out great. Not only it is one of the most ambitious endeavors I've seen in world building and design in two decades, they also delivered on that ambition.

olag

As others have pointed out, the combat isn't all that great but its probably the best triple AAA RPG we've gotten in the past 5 years.

dogstar

Banned
No finer RGP (although you could argue its not an RGP) has ever existed... The finely crafted storylines pull this above the rest. It has its faults, but its without doubt one of the best games ever made.

I bet some of the people that think the combat/gameplay in Witcher 3 is garbage are the same that think the Souldborne games have some of the best gameplay of all time.

JustinBB7

I wish I could make this thread daily. Best game ever. I'm actually jealous of people who still have to play it. The expansion packs are just beyond words.

At least the people that beat it still have Gwent!

heringer

I never got the hate for the combate. Sure it's not Dark Souls, but it's no Skyrim either and it's a very competent combat system. I had a lot of fun with it.

Ralemont

not me
The Witcher 3 is notable because of how well-written its side quests are, and how it rewards exploration with story. It also has good music and graphics. In almost every other category it's just kind of average. The combat is just okay, the quest design is extremely repetitive and often boils down to following the red Witcher line, and its RPG systems are clunky and unbalanced (no level scaling really screws up the difficulty, crafting/progression/build progression is boring, etc).

TechJunk

Has anybody on PS4 Pro been able to test this out? Any improvements? I know there's no patch planned, but there was talk of better framerates through the CPU bump...

heringer

The Witcher 3 is notable because of how well-written its side quests are, and how it rewards exploration with story. It also has good music and graphics. In almost every other category it's just kind of average. The combat is just okay, the quest design is extremely repetitive and often boils down to following the red Witcher line, and its RPG systems are clunky and unbalanced (no level scaling really screws up the difficulty, crafting/progression/build progression is boring, etc).

Isn't enemy scaling optional? I might be wrong, but I remember an option.

The character progression gets kind of screwed toward the end, I'll give you that.

That it manages to be one of the best games of all time despite a few flaws speaks volumes of it's brilliance. It's much better than the sum of it's parts.

KorrZ

Hearts of Stone + Blood and Wine have definitely got to be the best deals in the history of gaming. I almost feel like a thief.

Can't wait to play through this again in a few years with all the DLC installed from the get go.

Truant

Another great thing about the quest design is how they sometimes intertwine. Like how a simple Witcher contract can turn into a huge side quest, or how a smaller side quest suddenly becomes part of the main quest.

roytheone

I disagree, it is only the third best game of all time! ;)

Seriously though, it is amazing, it proved that quality and quantity aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. So many amazing side quests. The dlcs are also fantastic and probably one of the best value for money I ever gotten with DLc! I doubt this game will be topped for my GOTG.

Ultimadrago

I also forgot to mention that it's one of the few times mainstream media's high scale reception nearly matched my own on a AAA title for the year.

That never happens.

Unless you count Breaking Bad or something.

Sykra

The combat is servicable, but the story makes it one of the best games ever. I would even argue that no game reached the highs this game does with its storytelling, especially the DLCs.

Hooks

The expansions sealed the deal for my favorite game of all time 176 hours played. I still have to do a NG+ death march run

As incredible as I found Hearts of Stone, I found Blood & Wine as disappointing.

It suffers from all the same pacing issues as the main story of Witcher and then some, and I found the element you praised
the fairy tale world
to be a particularly poor section of the game given its placement essentially derails what little momentum the story had built to anyway. It wasn't bad by any means and in fact could easily stand alongside some full priced games, it's simply too much more. Where HoS was a tight, tailored experience to represent the Witcher at its best, B&W just seemed like a content dump in the same vein as the base that took little notice of the criticisms made of the main story.

Unfair to outright compare the two perhaps since one is essentially just a single quest and the other is a full on expansion, but as overwhelming as B&W was in the amount of content I actually felt very underwhelmed after wrapping it up.

Rappy

If you don't even know the game's genre then what are you even here for?

Being an edgelord?
Get off that. What is the genre? Answer it. If you say action RPG, Bloodborne and Souls games are absolutely leagues better than Witcher 3's combat. If you just put it in open world WRPG? Maybe that statement is more valid if that's your opinion, but even then for me it isn't.

Ralemont

not me
Isn't enemy scaling optional? I might be wrong, but I remember an option.

The character progression gets kind of screwed toward the end, I'll give you that.

That it manages to be one of the best games of all time despite a few flaws speaks volumes of it's brilliance. It's much better than the sum of it's parts.

Definitely agree. It's a fantastic game despite the things I don't like about it.

If enemy scaling is something I can turn on, I definitely will should I ever replay.

One of the best games of all time for sure. It's Skyrim but better. It's a massive open world game with the care and quality per inch of a crafted single player experience. Despite it's relative newness, it would probably be my favorite game of all time if not for the original Dark Souls.

J_Viper

One of my favorite games, but when I really think about it, I become conflicted.

If one were to remove the incredible writing, voice work, and art design from the game, leaving only the quest design,combat, and the most ass-backward/unrewarding leveling system in an RPG, would I really be as positive on it?

If Skyrim can get a pass for its terrible combat, so can The Witcher 3.

I still need to pick this up and start with Blood and Wine. Finished the base game and HoS.

The one thing that puts Skyrim's combat above TW3's is variety.

In Skyrim, you can switch to any play-style, be that melee, magic, archery, etc. Skyrim also has a much more rewarding skill tree.

That helps keep the 100+ hour experience fresh. The same can't be said for TW3, where the combat is basically the same from hour one, as it is at the end of the game. That's a huge problem.

Raptor

If you don't even know the game's genre then what are you even here for?

Being an edgelord?

Your first sentence was on point but then you had the need to say " the combat is not even mediocre, it's probably one of the best in its genre."

The combat is bad, Geralt doesnt do what you want him to do, if I press attack he might strike or he might dance some and then strike, attacks dont register the majority of the time, there is no visual/sound hit feedback when you strike and enemy might aswell be hitting nothing but air, sometimes he does a ultimate kill animation and sometimes he doesnt, enemies ignore sometimes your rolls or dash and still hit you, to move geralt is cumbersome and plain and simple not intuitive, etc.

And above all is just not fun, even a game like Shadow of Mordor has more fun combat than this, I own this game, I have tried to like it several times, dialog, story, characters, world building, openworld, all great I dont argue that, but combat and regular gameplay? is not one of the best of any genre not just in what this game belongs.

One of my favorite games, but when I really think about it, I become conflicted.

If one were to remove the incredible writing, voice work, and art design from the game, leaving only the quest design,combat, and the most ass-backward/unrewarding leveling system in an RPG, would I really be as positive on it?
When you strip those things away, what you're left with are standard conventions of the RPG genre. Do you like RPGs?

Terra_Ex

One of the best games I ever played. Thoroughly engrossed on every level for over 220hrs across the main campaign and expansion content. The game delivered, they landed the ending and gave the principle characters meaningful sendoffs (further embellished in the expansion), it's pure magic.

Loris146

It's a masterpiece. I had some issues with it anyway like combat , second half of the game ( especially the main quest/story) and others small things.

Yup I agree. It's an amazing achievement in world crafting and story telling. The best value in gaming, They could have charged double tbh.

If Skyrim can get a pass for its terrible combat, so can The Witcher 3.

I still need to pick this up and start with Blood and Wine. Finished the base game and HoS.
You won't be disappointed. Where Hearts of Stone succeeds is in its main quest, while Blood and Wine succeeds more with its side quests.

One of the best games I've played, and easily the best DLC. It's up there with games like Half-Life, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma, System Shock 2, Baldur's Gate 2, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, etc, when I think of the best games I've played... that's how much I liked it.

I want more Witcher after Cyberpunk 2077.

This is a game that was probably build from the ground up around narrative, almost to the level of a point and click adventure game. It is like asking if you remove the San Francisco Bay from under the Golden Gate and whether it still has a function.

There is a whole genre where you'll break the game if you as much as remove the writing and this games shares a lot more with things like Life is Strange than with Gauntlet.

Top Bottom