• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (is the greatest game of all time)

latest

Indeed the best game ever

Closer Two

It's not my favorite game ever but when someone says it's one of the best of all time how can you deny that? The game is just pure quality. The fact that a team of human beings worked together and made it is hard for me to believe.

The Witcher 3 is so good it makes the Witcher 2 unplayable. I thought 2 was fantastic when it first came out but going back to it now is just not possible for me. It nearly feels like an alpha for Witcher 3 in terms of mechanics.

Witcher 1 was always jank and will forever be jank and I think that's why I still love it. Bless it's little janky socks.

Budi

Hah funny to see this thread here today, I just returned to my new game plus run. Took a break from W3 to play Mankind Divided and Mafia 3 mainly. Played this for 250 hours overall, that includes playthroughs of the expansions ofcourse.

Truly an amazing game, definitely in top 10 best games of all time. It's incredible how insecure this game's succes and critical reception has made the fans of some other developer. Been a Witcher fan since the first game, should probably check out the books someday also. I love how much the series has evolved by every installment, they are always doing something new. CDPR haven't just taken safe bets, but always pushed themselves forward.

I should get back into this...everything was jsut clicking when I moved onto resident evil for halloween and dragon quest builders

can someone breakdown gwent for me btw... I havent paid more than a passing glace to it other than the initial card battle or two...the tutorial went way over my head even though I thought I understood

Linkark07

Banned
Amazing game, and indeed, that ending in Blood and Wine is the perfect way for finish Geralt story. It really saddened me that this might be the last time we might use him in any Witcher game; at least now it is the turn of Ciri for shine.

It really surprises me how CD Projeckt has become better over times. Witcher 1 was an ok game; excellent RPG but mediocre gameplay. Then 2 came, and many of the flaws of the first game were addressed here, while still being a great RPG. And then 3 came with such a beautiful world, amazing music and great characters and it is even better than 2. Sadly, the combat is still bad, but that can be ignored.

While it isn't the GOAT for me, it is in my top 5 easily.

I should get back into this...everything was jsut clicking when I moved onto resident evil for halloween and dragon quest builders

can someone breakdown gwent for me btw... I havent paid more than a passing glace to it other than the initial card battle or two...the tutorial went way over my head even though I thought I understood

1. You play the game with your initial hand so your resources are limited.
2. You have three turns and have to win two by putting more points in the game than your opponent.
3. Making your opponent use more cards than what they thought needed, make them play more cards. You basically win if your opponent runs out of cards.

So it is all about finding ways to overcome the limited amount of cards in your initial hand by either: using spies that give you extra cards, using monsters that call their buddies directly from the deck, or using buffs that let a few units worth a lot more making the opponent play more cards to equal the value of yours.

Get off that. What is the genre? Answer it. If you say action RPG, Bloodborne and Souls games are absolutely leagues better than Witcher 3's combat. If you just put it in open world WRPG? Maybe that statement is more valid if that's your opinion, but even then for me it isn't.

Your first sentence was on point but then you had the need to say " the combat is not even mediocre, it's probably one of the best in its genre."

The combat is bad, Geralt doesnt do what you want him to do, if I press attack he might strike or he might dance some and then strike, attacks dont register the majority of the time, there is no visual/sound hit feedback when you strike and enemy might as well be hitting nothing but air, sometimes he does a ultimate kill animation and sometimes he doesnt, enemies ignore sometimes your rolls or dash and still hit you, to move geralt is cumbersome and plain and simple not intuitive, etc.

And above all is just not fun, even a game like Shadow of Mordor has more fun combat than this, I own this game, I have tried to like it several times, dialog, story, characters, world building, openworld, all great I dont argue that, but combat and regular gameplay? is not one of the best of any genre not just in what this game belongs.

I said it's one of the best and that's my opinion. I am not forcing it on anyone as fact, I was just disagreeing with that other post, which is also an opinion. Not sure why you took my post as if I was stating it as a fact.

Also nowhere in my post did I even mention Soulsborne games. I hardly got in any discussion about Soulsborne vs Witcher on this board, but if you search my history you would find that the only time I ever said anything was that I agreed Soulsborne games are superior in combat. I clocked 80 hours in DS3 and I freaking loved it. But at the same time, I still can enjoy Witcher 3's combat.

Your points about the game's combat flaws have been said again and again on this board, I don't want to get into again. But I will say this, I acknowledged that it has many flaws but at the same it's a lot similar to how I envision it in the books, so I like it.

And yes, I call it an open world wrpg and here's another opinion of mine for you: its combat is league better than Shadow of Mordor's, another game that I also liked a lot.

But again, these are opinions and no one is forcing any of that on you. Please feel free to disagree.

Vintage

I'd say you can take every part of Witcher 3 and you'll find another game that does that thing better, but it's hard to find one that does so much with such high quality.

DangerStepp

Totally agree, OP. I just had to go re-watch the ending of Blood & Wine; gives me chills.

I'm usually not a DLC guy, even for games I like, but the content here is healthy and top notch.

I cannot recommend it enough to fans of good storytelling.

Also, I feel like Blood and Wine ended the series perfectly (granted you made the right choices). End of Blood and Wine spoilers ahead:
Geralt having that last chat with Regis in which Regis says to Geralt that after all the adventures and turmoil they have been through that it would be nice to sit down and relax as they deserved it (they being us). Geralt proceeds to agree then breaks the fourth wall and looks directly at you and smirks as the screen cuts to black. It's very subtle and quick, but the smirk starts to fade as the screen goes black, almost giving him a disappointed look knowing that it's all over and that we, the fans, feel the same way knowing this will be the last time we have an adventure with Geralt and company. It is indeed a somber feeling knowing this great ride is finally over. At least I chose to spend the rest of my days with Yennefer at Corvo Bianco (aka Witcher 3: Animal Crossing Edition). A nice touch to make you feel a bit happier.
Gotta say, that ending bit got me by surprise but it was so good man. You described it perfectly. So fucking good.

Triss all the way, though.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
But the Witcher 3's combat system raped my mother and murdered my father.

Nah just kidding I love that game. My parents are alive.

Story, characters, setting. So good. One my all time favs. Vanilla was GOTY. Blood and Wine was GOTY the next year. Just all around a masterpiece.

I am mad CD Projeckt isn't giving me a sweet succulent PS4 Pro upgrade though. They're Whoresons.

AerialAir

Banned
It's still too fresh in my mind for me to call it the GOAT in good conscience. But it's without a doubt in my Top 3. Let's see how time treats it.

But I can say that it is the only game, in years, that I am strongly considering repeating its massive story+dlc

The Witcher 3 is the game that I dreamed of when I was a kid and always thought it was not possible to conciliate so many aspects of videogames into one game and come out great. Not only it is one of the most ambitions endeavors I've seen in world building and design in two decades, they also delivered on that ambition.

pretty much this, its GOTG

Braag

It's definitely one of my all time favorites. I never really got tired of the world even after 2 playthroughs. I could easily start a third one now if I didn't have other games to finish :p
There are definitely flaws within the game but it's hard to find a game in this genre that does so many things at the same time as well as The Witcher 3 does.

DemWalls

With a title like this, this thread is bound to not end well.

I'm not sure I share the opinion of many about it being one of the all time greats, and my favorite Witcher title remains the first, but it's a great, great game nonetheless.
Lately I've been playing Inquisition (which I'm not disliking, btw), and it made even clearer to me the amount of care and love that must've gone into TW3, despite its many shortcomings.

RK9039

I completely disagree. The main thing this game gets right is story, and the story falls off after the Baron

Off the top of my head Skellige had a great story, and that was in the base game. Post-Ciri rescue was awesome and so was all the stuff in Kaer Morhen.

Bloody Baron was just one sequence of really cool story telling out of quite a few.

I am currently playing it and I can't remember the last game I've played that was this good. I'm still in Velen but I watched my friend do Heart of Stone and now I'm gonna leave the living room when he does Blood and Wine because I want to do that myself. It's so easy to sit down and have a couple of hours fly by.

Toni

I bet some of the people that think the combat/gameplay in Witcher 3 is garbage are the same that think the Souldborne games have some of the best gameplay of all time.

The same way fans of the Witcher 3 ignore the horrific combat mechanics and shit on Soulsborne for whatever subjective as fuck reasons?

Come on. I dont think I could roll my eyes harder at your response.

On topic: My stance with The Witcher 3 is that while it has a beautifully crafted narrative that goes places depending on the weight of your choices (CD Projekt deserves wide recognition for staying consistent on that), the ghastly combat didnt let me go further past the Red Baron quest. I just couldnt do it, and Im not sorry. Combat should have EQUAL attention being given when the game was still in development considering how long the game spans. And CD Projekt fell flat as hell on that.

It also didnt help boost my interest in staying engaged with the restrictions placed on the player with no character creation, meaningful physical character customisation, having a very small amount of weapons available that changes combat (all weapons feel the same, smashy, no substance), no long range weapons like bows to open up playstyles, and no variety whatsoever in magic spells considering they are WITCHERS.

Otherwise, the game has amazing cohesive narrative, excellent voice acting, excellent quest design, and probably the best RPG open world design/approach that should be the standard for future RPG open world IP's.

TLDR; Combat execution sets this game back so hard is unbelivable. Its that bad.

**Edit** I should also add that...and this last bit is entirely my opinion as well...that its a bit baffling as to why its regarded as "of all time" when it couldnt even get the most fundamental basis of a video game right.

It's hard to consider this game as the "the greatest of all time" when its mechanics aren't especially exemplary for the medium or even cohesive within the game's own context.

As a product, it's quite enjoyable. A very well written game with an incredibly vibrant setting beautifully realized with great aesthetics. But quite simply, I think the combat, leveling, loot progression, UI, controls, and mechanical depth of this game are decent at best. Inoffensive, certainly; the poor design was never bad enough that I didn't want to experience more of the story, however, it was clearly a love of the narrative that kept me going.

Obviously, this will come down to personal taste, but I hate seeing this game touted as "greatest of all time" rather than "my favorite" because I dislike the consensus that the greatest games can (or even should) just be good movies sprinkled over "serviceable" mechanics. It's been a running theme for a while now that GOTYs generally go to sprawling, epic RPG/adventure games, and while those kinds of games certainly are deserving of praise, as a whole it seems to perpetuate the notion that production value is king. I don't want that to be true.

SoundLad

At the moment (a year after first purchasing the game), I'm trying to get into it again from start. I can't remember why I stopped the first time around but I'm thinking it's the combat.

Coming from a Demon/Dark Souls background really doesn't do this game's combat any favours.

The game looks amazing and the story seems intriguing but can someone please reassure me that the combat evolves as the game progresses? I'm only about an hour or two into it, trying to find that black haired woman.

Robaperas

It's a fantastic game but the faults you name (which are the same complaints I have about it) make it not being the greatest.

BizzyBum

The game looks amazing and the story seems intriguing but can someone please reassure me that the combat evolves as the game progresses? I'm only about an hour or two into it, trying to find that black haired woman.

It never gets as good as anything seen in Soulsborne.

It does evolve and get better as you level up and acquire skills and better swords. I had a fun time devoting all my points into Alchemy so I can use decoctions, bombs, and oils to defeat opponents quicker. The DLC also adds new mechanics like Runewords and Mutagens which make you stronger and add new passives and abilities.

At the moment (a year after first purchasing the game), I'm trying to get into it again from start. I can't remember why I stopped the first time around but I'm thinking it's the combat.

Coming from a Demon/Dark Souls background really doesn't do this game's combat any favours.

Not in the way that Souls games do. There are a few neat encounters tied either to the main quest or high tier Witcher gear, but I feel like I'm conflating the actual quality of the encounter with the gravity of the narrative at the time. You'll be doing the same thing in most encounters: get a few hits, dodging, and repeating. Signs mix things up a little, but not especially (unless you spam Igni alt-cast, which can win you far more battles than it has a right to). Leveling and loot isn't great either, so that won't be a saving grace.

If you haven't left White Orchard though, I'd say you should try to beat that before nixing the game entirely. You fight a mini-boss monster near the end of it, and you might enjoy it (I didn't but I may be an outlier). Boss encounters don't change too much after that (until you fight your first humanoid boss), but the pacing between them may be enough that it doesn't matter.

Witcher 3 is definitely worth the play for the narrative, so I'd recommend playing further than that just to see if the story doesn't grab you. Unless you find the combat an absolute chore, you might be able to just sit through it to experience the better parts of the game.

SoundLad

Thanks for the feedback :) Sounds like I'll at least complete the White Orchard area before questioning the game again!

Garlador

Tomorrow I do believe I'm gonna grab the GOTY edition at Gamestop.

... I just don't know if I should play through the first two I own and never beat or not first.

BizzyBum

Tomorrow I do believe I'm gonna grab the GOTY edition at Gamestop.

... I just don't know if I should play through the first two I own and never beat or not first.

You don't have to play the first two games, but I would highly suggest at least playing Witcher 2 first. It's a phenomenal game in its own right and you will have some time to get to know a lot of the characters you will be with in Witcher 3 which makes the overall experience better.

hydruxo

Good game but shitty combat keeps it from greatness.

Not really. Still a great game even with the combat. It never really hampered my enjoyment.

Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine are the best DLC packs ever made as far as I'm concerned. Incredible stuff.

Robiin

This game is truly incredible. I have played it on and off since release, in a really weird pace. I played it around release religiously for a few weeks, then stopped and played through Bloodborne. Then I played more of the Witcher, again religiously. Every waking moment was spent with The Witcher 3. Then I learned so much of the back story and lore through Wikis and the game systems through experience, I started over. Then got bored because I "had already played" the slow beginnings once before, so I stopped. I played Smash and Yoshi's Woolly World and Splatoon and then Smash again. Then I started playing The Witcher 3 again, and this time made it further than I had gotten during my first savefile (about Skellige). I was again starting to play it religiously (even started reading the novels by Andrzej Sapkowski) and even made an effort to finish every quest I could before beating the game.

I have now beaten every side quest (except for the Gwent ones because I got pissed at missing a few cards), contract and treasure hunt (even found every recipe and bomb) in The Witcher 3 main game and am at the very final questline (
defeating the end boss and defending Kaer Morhen
). I purchased the DLC to have something to do for after beating the game.

Then I stopped. Again. Don't know why. Maybe because I didn't want it to end (but it wouldn't anyway since I have the DLC installed...)? I haven't played it for a few months. I expect to get dragged into the world again as soon as I find the want to get back into the amazing universe of The Witcher.

Jobbs

Banned
Best game ever if you find a timeline where it exists and about 100 other games don't. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Terrible combat/controls + dull main character I don't want to play as

Bloodborne is still miles better.

Yeah it's kind of funny to me but to each his own :D

Lanf

Hear hear! Good thread. Agree on most points, though, main story wise, I prefer the more focused story of the second game. But otherwise 3 is superior in every way.

Budi

Fallout 4 hahahaha

Yeah I don't like it either. Phantom Pain I did enjoy though. Unfortunately never got to play Bloodborne since I don't have PS4, but I've heard it's pretty good.

Witcher 3 gave me similar feeling that others have said in this thread, "games can be like this?". Few other games that have given me that feeling: Link to the past, Civilization 2, Mario 64.
And first season of Telltales Walking Dead, odd choice for many.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Loved the first game, 2 not as much but still enjoyed it... 3 I haven't even played yet, even if all the positive press has been impossible to ignore. The nice thing about the first 2 games were they weren't all TOO long, but from what I've heard of 3 it's massive... and I don't know where I'll be able to fit it in at the moment - FFXV and Persona 5 will be sucking up most of my time these next few months.

And as for the combat argument, well I didn't find W1 or 2's all that special, but games can definitely be more than the sum of their parts (and I think W1 is one of the best examples of that, it was a flawed but original take on a genre that was growing very stale and simplified).

AR15mex

I purchased this game GOTY edition it has terrific production values, but it makes me wonder about games in general.

People appreciate "The Witcher" series more for its production values than for its game-play. What I mean is that the greatest accomplishment I see in this game its the story telling, world atmosphere, graphics, and music. It really feels that you are in Novingrad, White Orchad, and so on.

But the gameplay mechanics, while its accompanied by the regular RPG tropes, like leveling, and similiar stuff, these are things that you expect on on the genre, but the way you interact with world. Especially the side quests can get pretty boring. All you do is the following:

• Talk to NPC
  • Follow the Dotted line got to the yellow area
  • go to blue things and get info on the mission
  • kill or find the objective
  • get rewards and loot

I can say that maybe 90% of the game this is the core mechanic, and if it wasn't by the other production values namely the story telling, I believe that the game wouldn't got such high praises. And I'm not even mentioning the combat system.

This is making me rethink my purchases lately, while the game is great, I can hardly call it a game, its more like an interactive novel. I dunno I may switch to Nintendo or indies...

Top Bottom