• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lucasfilm Unveils New 'Star Wars' Title

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Gen.Wedge said:
The title makes perfect sense. As the Jedi once wiped out the Sith, so shall they be exterminated.
Along this line of thought, the one thing that really bugs me about TPM and AotC is that everyone thinks that Anakin completing the prophecy is a good thing.

"Oh, Anakin is going to bring balance to the Force? Excellent. Oh wait, there's thousands of good-hearted Jedi and no known dark siders..."

Mace Windu or Yoda can't figure out that the balancing act isn't going to favor the Jedi?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Dan said:
Along this line of thought, the one thing that really bugs me about TPM and AotC is that everyone thinks that Anakin completing the prophecy is a good thing.

"Oh, Anakin is going to bring balance to the Force? Excellent. Oh wait, there's thousands of good-hearted Jedi and no known dark siders..."

Mace Windu or Yoda can't figure out that the balancing act isn't going to favor the Jedi?

I think they preceived the problem as the general unease in the galaxy, the growing threat, and even the fact that the jedi are not nearly as powerful as they once were. they were wrong. The thing is it that when he finally does bring balance to the force (killing palpatine) everyone one is a lot worse off and there is a clear unbalance.

Dan said:

The prophecy about him bringing balance isn't exactly a clear thing. It's not like balance has to mean an approximately equal number of light and dark Jedi, as the word balance usually has a positive connotation. For all they know, Anakin could become a great leader to the Jedi Council who brings in scores of new Jedi knights and strengthens their ranks like never before.

Dan

I wasn't really referring to numbers, but anyone who thought it was the light side of the Force that was going to benefit from this balancing was clearly mistaken.

Either way, seems to me like the Jedi seem pretty shortsighted and naive to only forsee positives from Anakin and the prophecy. Mace Windu sure seems to give him an unapologetic full vote of confidence in AotC, and solely because of the prophecy.

Just something that annoys me, not a big deal.

Although it's interesting that Anakin's first act of 'balancing the Force' is to slaughter a lot of Jedi, and then he turns around and kills Palpatine too. His balancing act involved greatly hurting both sides.

Eh, better than Ep 1/2 titles, but still too much redundancy with RotJ. OMG, The Sith are REVENGING!! Now its time for the Jedi to get REVENGE for the REVENGING of the Sith!!!

If you think about it all three prequel titles kind of parallel their respective opposites from the original trilogy -

A New Hope vs. The Phantom Menace - a menace is sort of the opposite of a hope
Attack of the Clones vs. The Empire Strikes Back - basically the same except different groups doing the attacking/striking

ManaByte

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
If you think about it all three prequel titles kind of parallel their respective opposites from the original trilogy -

A New Hope vs. The Phantom Menace - a menace is sort of the opposite of a hope
Attack of the Clones vs. The Empire Strikes Back - basically the same except different groups doing the attacking/striking

Yes and the movies are supposed to rhyme in a way where Anakin fails at challenges that Luke did not. Or Anakin gets an arm chopped of in the second episode and Luke gets his hand cut off in the fifth.

Also, each title of each respective part has the same number of words:

The Phantom Menace
A New Hope

Attack of the Clones
The Empire Strikes Back

Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi

MC Safety

I am too lazy to actually read this thread but ...

does anyone remember Lucas originally intended "Return of the Jedi" to be titled "Revenge of the Jedi"?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Disco Stu said:
I am too lazy to actually read this thread but ...

does anyone remember Lucas originally intended "Return of the Jedi" to be titled "Revenge of the Jedi"?

You gambled and lost it all my friend, posted on page 1

hobbitx

Fuck, I saw the title and I thought this thread was about Lucas Arts announcing a new Star Wars side movie or the rumored tv show. I want my money back!

Sansweet announced the title by pulling off a baseball jersey to reveal a black T-shirt emblazoned with "Revenge of the Sith."

Minutes later, a sampling of audience members dressed as Jedis, stormtroopers and other "Star Wars" characters showed they approved.

What a depressing sight that must have been.

MC Safety

ManaByte said:
Yes and the movies are supposed to rhyme in a way where Anakin fails at challenges that Luke did not. Or Anakin gets an arm chopped of in the second episode and Luke gets his hand cut off in the fifth.

Also, each title of each respective part has the same number of words:

The Phantom Menace
A New Hope

Attack of the Clones
The Empire Strikes Back

Revenge of the Sith
Return of the Jedi

Vader also got his hand cut off in "Return of the Jedi," right?

ManaByte

Disco Stu said:
Vader also got his hand cut off in "Return of the Jedi," right?

Yes, but there is a spoiler thread for Revenge of the Sith already for those types of discussions.

Dan said:
I wasn't really referring to numbers, but anyone who thought it was the light side of the Force that was going to benefit from this balancing was clearly mistaken.

Either way, seems to me like the Jedi seem pretty shortsighted and naive to only forsee positives from Anakin and the prophecy. Mace Windu sure seems to give him an unapologetic full vote of confidence in AotC, and solely because of the prophecy.

but don't you think the jedi's willingness to believe in anakin goes along with the typical "good guys" motto in films. the good guys have faith and believe--they hope for the best. it's the perspective that they choose to view life through and we're told to believe they're right. good will always conquer evil.

Although it's interesting that Anakin's first act of 'balancing the Force' is to slaughter a lot of Jedi, and then he turns around and kills Palpatine too. His balancing act involved greatly hurting both sides.

he hurt both sides, but ultimately he fufilled the prophecy didn't he? it reminds me of that poem, "the road less travelled". his path wasn't necessarily the one you would expect the "savior" to take, but in the end he accomplished his task none the less--it was his fate.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Its a bit like saying "im gonna balance this pile of white sugar so its the same size as the pile of brown sugar" *throw all sugar in bin* "there we go, perfect"

Or like Neo fullfilling his potential to free all the humans in the matrix by killing them all in a slow and painful fashion.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Ghost said:
Its a bit like saying "im gonna balance this pile of white sugar so its the same size as the pile of brown sugar" *throw all sugar in bin* "there we go, perfect"

Or like Neo fullfilling his potential to free all the humans in the matrix by killing them all in a slow and painful fashion.

That's the whole tragedy in it all.

He balanced things all right. First he wiped out all the good jedi, and then he took care of the Empire(Emperor). They were right about Anakin, but didn't forsee his motives/time table.

ManaByte said:
When they announced the title at Comic Con, a room of 6,500 people EXPLODED. If was so loud they had to turn up the mic volume to let people know the shirts would be on sale in 5 minutes.

haha silly nerds

man i need videos from the comic convention.

i would like to see the presentation of sin city"they showed a short video clip if the movie" and i even would like to see other videos and pics from the show.

i hate hyperspace so i want a place where i can watch pics and stuff without a Hyperspace pass.

can someone here help out?

XS+ said:
Dumb SW trivia: Ep. 6 was supposed to be called Revenge of the Jedi at first but Lucas thought it sounded too harsh for the 'light' side of the Force.

I just watched the making of the trilogy stuff the other day and what George Lucas claims the reason for the change was due to the fact that Jedis don't seek revenge as they are of the light side. Makes sense to me, but I could see where you'd get that impression from. With all the changes he's made to the original series, he's transformed Han Solo from a badass to a pussy.

Discharger said:
I just watched the making of the trilogy stuff the other day and what George Lucas claims the reason for the change was due to the fact that Jedis don't seek revenge as they are of the light side. Makes sense to me, but I could see where you'd get that impression from. With all the changes he's made to the original series, he's transformed Han Solo from a badass to a pussy.

he's transformed Han Solo from a badass to a pussy

what transformed Han Solo in to a pussy?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Dan said:

err actually mace windu dont trust anakin as much as you think. And I think the balancing of the force is when Anakin kills palpatine in RoTJ because then there is only one jedi and one Sith left ...i dunno but I dont think killing the jedi was the balancing act, probably just something the jedi could not forsee under the veil of hte siths deception.

Red Dolphin said:
All because he didn't shoot first I'm guessing :p

yeah thats what i was guessing aswell.
but i hope that is not what he is reefering to, i mean come on thats just soooooo lame!!!

Han solo is a badass no matter who shoots first, i am all for the SE, and mind you i am the biggest starwars fan ever, i was born with a starwars spoon in my mouth.

as much as i love the OT i still feel that lucas did the a good job with the SE.

Dan

DonasaurusRex said:
err actually mace windu dont trust anakin as much as you think.
Please tell me where.

I rewatched AotC last night, and Obi-Wan is constantly expressing doubts about Anakin, and Mace just responds with something like "you must have faith, he is going to bring balance to the Force after all." In AotC at least, Mace seems to be filled with unconditional faith in Anakin.

ShadowRed

Banned
robertsan21 said:
he's transformed Han Solo from a badass to a pussy

what transformed Han Solo in to a pussy?

Dude walk away from this tread now. These people have a hard on over Han not shooting first and are convienced that the entire charater was changed because Lucas modified it, to have him shoot after Greedo. Nevermind it showed Han unbuckling his gun or that he had a bounty placed on his head or that he hung out on one of the worest planets in the galaxy and knew all typees of unscupulous people, ie Lando.

Hournda

They should just use the title from the Fark headline: Star Wars Episode III: Return of the Increasingly Irrelevant Sci-fi Franchise.

Trevelyon

Huh, I missed this thread completely.

Revenge of the Sith, eh?

um... I am neither angered nor joyous about this name.

BLEH!

ShyGuy

DonasaurusRex said:
because then there is only one jedi and one Sith left ...
WTF?????

Who is this mysterious remaining Sith?

At the conclusion of RotJ this is the status:

Dead Jedi = Obi-Wan Kenobi (from A New Hope), Yoda (from RotJ), (arguably) Anakin SkyWalker

Living Jedi = Luke SkyWalker

Dead Sith = Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious (from RotJ), Darth Vader (from RotJ)

Living Sith = ??????????????

--

At this point, Leia is no Jedi, Han Solo is no Jedi, and Chewbacca certainly ain't no Jedi.

There aren't any "evil" characters left to be considered Sith!

Therefore, at this point, Luke SkyWalker *IS* the Force!!!

Phoenix

Dan said:

Yep. I was always amazed at the near complete stupidity of the move. You're living high off the hog, things are good, and at worst you have to babysit the republic and you want to bring balance to the force - meaning GROWING the dark side? What the hell kind of sense does that make :)

For those who hated Hayden Christensen, I'd much rather have him than a grown up Jake Lloyd....

Ughhh

DSCN2603.JPG

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Phoenix said:
Yep. I was always amazed at the near complete stupidity of the move. You're living high off the hog, things are good, and at worst you have to babysit the republic and you want to bring balance to the force - meaning GROWING the dark side? What the hell kind of sense does that make :)

There is, of course, always the higher concept that at some point the Force has to balance in order to exist... mmmm?

Kind of like how you can't define light if there is no shadow. Impossible to determine wrong if there is no right... blah blah blah.

ManaByte

The Bookerman said:
For those who hated Hayden Christensen, I'd much rather have him than a grown up Jake Lloyd....

Ughhh

DSCN2603.JPG

Whoa I didn't realize Master Replicas had the new Windu and Episode II Anakin Sabers at the show.

Master Replicas = teh awesome. They had their Alien head replica there and it looks incredible. The AT-AT filming model replica is also quite nice.

Ray Park went nuts dueling people using the new Master Replicas Sabers that come out in the fall:
DSCN2590.jpg

DSCN2614.jpg

DSCN2596.jpg

Phoenix

Mejilan said:
There is, of course, always the higher concept that at some point the Force has to balance in order to exist... mmmm?

Kind of like how you can't define light if there is no shadow. Impossible to determine wrong if there is no right... blah blah blah.

Sorry, don't buy it. Unless they are just completely screwed in the head it would have been obvious that if they were going to need to 'balance' the force, then there no point in killing all the sith in the first place!

'kill them we must, then make them powerful we will. retarded am i...'

And yes we define light without shadow, the definition of light has nothing to do with the definition of darkness.

Phoenix said:

Meh, the Jedi knew a threat was coming, but they had no way of telling from who where or even how strong this threat was. Remember the whole deal about the dark side shrouding the future? They had no clue what was coming. Also, the force DOES NOT flow only with Jedi. It flows through ALL life. The evil in the Star Wars universe is far stronger than good. This is shown witht he creation and support to create in Empire even through those who had no clue what they were doing (Trade Federation, etc). The Jedi cannot stop the Empire on their own, they just weren't strong enough to be compassionate leaders at that day in age. Their powers had dwindled, they're support was slipping away. They needed something to stop this onslaught and believed in a prophecy of one who would be capable of doing just that.

Secondly Episode 3 shows us which side is definitely the most powerful. Even before Anakin turns.
Palpatine wins against a fight versus Yoda, the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy. Grevious is capable of killing just about any Jedi general single handedly. Palpatine himself is charismatic enough to do as he so pleases with people's will.
The jedi cannot to this, nor do they believe in such. Again, they weren't capable of knowing Anakin's turn, they've always expected something was wrong with the boy in TPM but Qui-Gon just would not have it and persuaded them to think otherwise. They even grew to believe Qui-Gon's faith in the boy and that's what we see in AOTC. Obi-Wan does not doubt his ability, he just feels he's not capable of the comprehension a Jedi has to have about the force and life to succeed. He's still a boy at heart and capable of being persuaded in ill manner. This is why Obi-Wan constantly rejects the thought of sending him on a mission alone.

The fact that the Jedi could not see the future of Anakin no matter how hard they tried shows they were far less powerful than the dark side. Infact, they didn't even know who this threat was even being on the same planet and even same room as Palpatine himself. The dark side is far more powerful than the light side, but the faith and hope that dwells in the philsophy of the Jedi seems to always leave them winning in the end. How do we know this? Anakin IS the chosen one and DOES bring balance. If it weren't for him, Luke would not have be born and he would have not in turn brought himself back to good and kill Palpatine. I always thought his prophecy meant more about the birth of Luke rather than Anakin himself. Anakin turns evil but leaves "A New Hope" before his turn and that is Luke. Without Luke he would have been forever evil. The Dark Side would have always reigned above the light and the galaxy would have been in turmoil.

Phoenix

DarthWufei said:
Meh, the Jedi knew a threat was coming, but they had no way of telling from who where or even how strong this threat was. Remember the whole deal about the dark side shrouding the future? They had no clue what was coming. Also, the force DOES NOT flow only with Jedi. It flows through ALL life. The evil in the Star Wars universe is far stronger than good.

If the evil is stronger than the good then balance is a pipe dream. In order to achieve balance both sides would have to be of the same strength.

This is shown witht he creation and support to create in Empire even through those who had no clue what they were doing (Trade Federation, etc). The Jedi cannot stop the Empire on their own, they just weren't strong enough to be compassionate leaders at that day in age.

There doesn't seem to be any real evidence to suggest that the Jedi were trying to lead the republic. It more appears that they work with the leaders/rulers of the republic and act more as a 'secret service'.

Secondly Episode 3 shows us which side is definitely the most powerful. Even before Anakin turns. The jedi cannot to this, nor do they believe in such. Again, they weren't capable of knowing Anakin's turn, they've always expected something was wrong with the boy in TPM but Qui-Gon just would not have it and persuaded them to think otherwise.

Its besides the point whether or not they knew Anakin would turn - the very fact that they were trying to bring balance to the force would be a net negative for them irregardless. That much is clear. If you're at a high point and you're trying to achieve balance then by definition you have to bring up something that is your opposite to your level. It would be about as stupid as the US military saying they wanted to bring balance to the worlds militaries. For them that would be about the dumbest thing to even strive for. Sorry, for all that you've said in your post, you still haven't described how any of what they're after makes any sense at all.

You bring up some interesting issues that do make sense, and perhaps they weren't after balance in terms of making the light side stronger. What if they wanted an equlibrium where there would no longer be a flunctuation of dark and light, but rather a mute point where both sides are at a stand still or nonexistant. In the end, that doesn't happen though as Luke is left and he is, by the movies, good. So I'm not quite sure what was meant there, but I do think their original view of things could have perhaps been to stablize the sides of the force.

That within itself doesn't seem like a horrible thing does it? Perhaps because of this threat they knew was coming, they knew they would continue to dwindle. Yes they were at a high point, but where do you go from there? There's no way they could continue to increase in power. Palpatine's power had already became a major force even before TPM.

Like someone mentioned earlier, that you did not seem to comment on. Perhaps they thought such stabilization would be achieved by this Chosen One, but by means other than evil. Regardless, we can't deny the prophecy and he did fulfill it. Just not in the manner in which they would have seen.

AniHawk

Its besides the point whether or not they knew Anakin would turn - the very fact that they were trying to bring balance to the force would be a net negative for them irregardless.

Well Palpatine would have seized power regardless of Anakin being around... I think, and it's been said before, that Anakin himself doesn't bring balance, but he brings balance to the Force through Luke- with there no longer being a fluxuation between Light and Dark as there had been for thousands of years until the movies.

ManaByte

The Jedi aren't able to see the bad coming as the growth of the Dark Side is like a cloud that impairs their vision. Lucas has said "The Phantom Menace" name refers to that.

I think, and it's been said before, that Anakin himself doesn't bring balance, but he brings balance to the Force through Luke-

Also, the Jedi don't know the full prophecy. There is one little detail they don't know:
Minor Revenge of the Sith spoiler
It is learned that in order for balance to be restored to the Force, the apprentice of the Sith Lord must fall. When the apprentice does, so will the Dark Lord. This scene may or may not make it into the final cut of Episode III. So basically, it IS Anakin who restores balance to the Force (not Luke), but to do so he must turn to the Dark Side and become the apprentice of the Sith Lord.

The full prophecy is basically "There is one who will bring balance to the Force, but in order to do so he must first become an agent of evil."

GDGF

Soothsayer
That's cool! I love it that I'm learning new things about a philosophy i've been hearing about since A New Hope. Kinda makes me feel like a kid again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom